• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
im running 1070 on a 1080p monitor, ultra preset with a few tweaks, frame rate stays above 50fps. honestly i think after the bugs are fixed, this game will be remembered as one of the greats.

Man, I don't know. Just looking at Reddit, it is the EXACT same wide-spread meme ballgame that was present when No Man's Sky launched, except this is a lot bigger. I'd say CDPR has a much better start than Hello Games did, but Hello Games is also a miniscule company compared to CDPR (thus easier to manage), while also greatly relying on Murray's leadership and organizational skills to pull off PR the miracle that they did.

Interesting weeks and months ahead of us.

Oct 25, 2017
The base PS4 / XB1 versions are laughably horrific. It should have never been a current gen game. PS3 games looked better, and I am not being hyperbolic.
They are 100% horrific, but this is basically PS3/360 all over again. People really forget how bad GTA ran on those systems; fundamentally, this game should not have launched on base consoles. No patch is going to make it playable.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Amazed by the "apology". The top brass at CDPR really love to keep digging.

On the game side, I just did the flattop mission (the one previewed ages ago).
It was fun talking to Militech as a corpo and hacking the data shard, and I felt very "in over my head" walking through the food factory.
I'd hoped it'd go smoothly, but Militech busted in and we had to fight our way out anyway.

I'm trying to play a non-combative hacker type, so had to hide most of the time, throwing the odd stun grenade and picking off distracted enemies with my baton.
This was pretty cool in itself, but the situation seemed heavily geared towards "shoot your way out".

I can't help but feeling that, if this were Deus Ex, there would be a quiet route to slip out while everyone was blasting. It even locks you into the final room with the mechs for no apparent reason. I wanted to just leave lol

Do the non-lethal/stealth options improve as things progress? Or am I literally going to have to bite the bullet at some point?

I had a helluva time initially with that area playing stealth. I found it very frustrating because my build was crappy and I hadn't really spec'd myself properly for stealth or assault and I had to do a ton of reloads (playing on Hard).

I ended up replaying Act 1 after finishing it and having a better understanding of the systems. My second run through of the meat plant was far easier doing a stealth route.

I think the thing I didn't get at first was stealth really has to go hand and hand with good quick hacks. Being able to effectively use distractions, optical blinds, etc made all of the difference.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No I mean that back then the game was supposed to launch in April 2020, six months before the new consoles would be available. If CDPR was actually planning a launch in April of this year then, at that point, they naively thought they could get the game into respectable shape on the PS4/XBO.

The current shit show would be 100% worse if PS5/ Series X/S weren't an option for some right now.
yeah true. It is just wild all around. I still don't believe it tbh.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
They are 100% horrific, but this is basically PS3/360 all over again. People really forget how bad GTA ran on those systems; fundamentally, this game should not have launched on base consoles. No patch is going to make it playable.

People were really tolerant of awful framerates on 360/PS3. Far Cry 3 ran south of 20 fps frequently with barely any outcry.

Thankfully developers got their act together on the framerate front last gen (where stable 30 fps was the norm more often than not) and I think the customers noticed.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, this is Shadow of Mordor all over again. Amazed they didn't decide to drop last gen when you look at the final product.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Grab her hammer when she throws it then hit the glowing part in her back.

Difficulty depends on the area, i think.

Ahh thanks, guess I need to be on my toes, spent 0 points on body so my HP is shit, pretty much 1 hit kills on hard so I was keeping my distance and trying to shoot

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Those are super nice! One of the best screenshots I have seen, charming.
Gosh I love her so much, great questline !

thanks, this game should've been third person

kOXSJxd.png

ToVqUOP.png

ikKrLUj.png

1USLwKG.png

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Show me video capture of you sprinting in the open market area in front of the diner where you gotta meet the Arasaka guy after the title card. My 3080 drops to the low 50's/high 40's there at 3440x1440; I find it difficult to believe you're staying above 70fps at standard 1440p on a 2070S.

Hey here's my video of my performance I mentioned I'd make tonight. I ran the same loop that I did yesterday and based my comment on:

I think my description was pretty accurate. Running around is pretty much in line with what I posted, around 75-80 FPS with a couple of dips into the high 60s.

Once I get in my car it does dip to 60 FPS and into the high 50s a couple times, though. I didn't test driving yesterday, only just now for this clip.

Last edited:

chespace

Hearthstone Esports Global Franchise Lead
Oct 27, 2017
There is a certain zen to just systematically going to every single gang spot marked on the map and just clearing them out one by one, and looting the world while you're at it. I cleared out ALL of Pacifica today.

My character is now level 20, and I got the super jump. Now I just need to save up for the double jump.

I'm playing this game like Crysis -- shooting and running in to make short work of enemies with my katana. Encounters end in seconds lol.

This is when I'm slaying:

photomode_14122020_10ojk6z.jpg

And this is when I'm playing :P

photomode_14122020_14lvj77.jpg

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
That's what I do. I clear out every sidequest and blue point of interest on the map before moving on to the main quest.

I've been only using motorbikes just so that l can see my character regularly.

That's what I use as well. Love power sliding to drift around corners at full speed. Me every time I'm taking a turn.
sGgY8wN.gif

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Show me video capture of you sprinting in the open market area in front of the diner where you gotta meet the Arasaka guy after the title card. My 3080 drops to the low 50's/high 40's there at 3440x1440; I find it difficult to believe you're staying above 70fps at standard 1440p on a 2070S.

There is something flat out broken in the Tom's Diner area. That thing is like 150% more performance intensive than any other area in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this game supposed to have amazing lip-syncing? Playing on the Series X here and my biggest gripe is how the lips don't match the dialog. The mouths just opens and closes... not much animation happening.

chespace

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I do. I clear out every sidequest and blue point of interest on the map before moving on to the main quest.

Yeah, I haven't touched the story quests in days. Just grinding, leveling, and playing paper doll dress up with my character, haha.

This game really is GTA with good FPS gameplay, whether it's guns or swords.

Right now my katana is doing around 640 dps, and I've got a bunch of perks for blades buffing my speed, stamina, and damage. It honestly feels super OP to just run into a crowd of 3 or 4 people and just slice them up within seconds.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this game supposed to have amazing lip-syncing? Playing on the Series X here and my biggest gripe is how the lips don't match the dialog. The mouths just opens and closes... not much animation happening.

Are you talking about during the major dialogue encounters? Like with Jackie and Dum Dum at the Maelstrom plant, etc? If so then that's definitely a bug. The lip syncing should be pretty much perfect. They pretty much knocked all of these "hero moment" dialogue encounters (not sure how else to describe them) outta the park.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game as a single player story aside from a couple of side quests. Hit the point where you are warned that you will not be able to do more quests until the story is complete so decided to grind out some side quests to get some levels and cash beforehand.

The side stories are amazing so far, one of the complaints I read was how they were a lot of "go here, kill this person", I have not had a single one yet.

Is it gigs that are like that and side quests are all story driven?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I've been playing the game as a single player story aside from a couple of side quests. Hit the point where you are warned that you will not be able to do more quests until the story is complete so decided to grind out some side quests to get some levels and cash beforehand.

The side stories are amazing so far, one of the complaints I read was how they were a lot of "go here, kill this person", I have not had a single one yet.

Is it gigs that are like that and side quests are all story driven?

Even with those there is usually other ways of tackling them as well. I think you can play this game completely non lethal if you wanted to.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Even with those there is usually other ways of tackling them as well. I think you can play this game completely non lethal if you wanted to.
I just meant there is a ton of story and variety in each of the side quests so far, I might actually go though as many as possible now before tacking the last stages of the main story

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The longer this story goes on, the more I am becoming like Johnny Silverhand. Stop bullshitting me people, or I am going to rock one into your dome.

Amazing story this game. Shame all the bugs.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I just meant there is a ton of story and variety in each of the side quests so far, I might actually go though as many as possible now before tacking the last stages of the main story

Yep, some of them should have been mandatory IMO. Like one of them even has a tutorial and I just found out how to use some stuff 20hrs in.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
There is a certain zen to just systematically going to every single gang spot marked on the map and just clearing them out one by one, and looting the world while you're at it. I cleared out ALL of Pacifica today.

I am exactly the same way. Getting calls from fixers, and just cruising around the map doing jobs, getting loot, upgrading weapons, modding armor, getting money, listening to music and driving around between jobs, and just methodically working the map and clearing tasks. Love it.

And what blade is that in the first image you posted?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So how long do I have to wait for CDPR to patch in a vendor who can edit my looks?

I wonder whether a mod can provide this for PC players.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Well, the "fixes" for the current versions will be here soon. Im pretty sure that the next one will fix somewhat the crashes.
It sucks, but I'm pretty confident it's getting fixed in the update coming this week.

And where does that confidence come from? from the state of the game? sounds like a case of wishful thinking to me.

no wonder that they can release a turd these days when people think it will be fixed soon despite playing a broken mess of a game.

because after being lied to by influences, publishers and reviewers it is the players that are kidding themselves (which is even more baffling tbh).

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Fuck.... 10th crash... I'll wait till 1.05 on PS5. It simply crash everytime I'm pumped on a mission.

Seriously.... why....

(I do really think this game is way better than The Witcher 3, specially the pace, but it sucks to be on this poor state).

chespace

Oct 27, 2017
I am exactly the same way. Getting calls from fixers, and just cruising around the map doing jobs, getting loot, upgrading weapons, modding armor, getting money, listening to music and driving around between jobs, and just methodically working the map and clearing tasks. Love it.

And what blade is that in the first image you posted?

Rad, that's exactly how I play. I actually just play a Miles Davis bebop soundtrack in the background and mute the game's music (which got too repetitive for me).

The blade is the "Black Unicorn", which you get when you sign into the CDPR launcher with your GOG.com account.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Assassin's Creed Unity and No Man's Sky were the butt of many jokes and the winner of many "Biggest Disappointment" awards in the year they were launched. However both games were fixed/updated in the months following release and an argument can be made that both are now actually underrated and that they're both better then their review scores / general public sentiment seem to suggest.

Will Cyberpunk 2077 follow a similar trajectory? Will the patches that arrive in the coming months leave us with a game that actually is overlooked and made fun of but when a gamer who skipped out on it picks it up in a year or two will they discover that the game is much better than hivemind opinion that the Internet holds for it.

To be clear, I am talking about more than just review scores. It obviously got very good scores (though the average is trending down) but the gaming community's opinion as a whole is nowhere near that high.

Thoughts? What do you think?

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the Yaiba Kusanagi bike. Been saving up for a cyberdeck, but after getting the call about the Yaiba I dropped everything and bought it.

Looks incredible. The vehicle designs in general are great.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

My character is now level 20, and I got the super jump. Now I just need to save up for the double jump.

I'm playing this game like Crysis -- shooting and running in to make short work of enemies with my katana. Encounters end in seconds lol.

This is when I'm slaying:

photomode_14122020_10ojk6z.jpg

And this is when I'm playing :P

photomode_14122020_14lvj77.jpg

This is my build as well. Nothing like sneaking up to the enemy on rooftops, silently dropping down and unleashing the blade.

I feel less like driving, and more like walking every where to see things.

This is how I roll also, much more immersive this way.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Even completely in first person, CDPR has a real talent for framing the conversations you have. The Witcher 3 went above and beyond with the direction in even a lot of the small throwaway quest. This game, they so often mange to put you just in the right spot to make the conversations look and feel lively.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
No, because it's already been highly rated.

No Man's Sky was criticized for being aimless and lacking anything compelling to do. Cyperpunk is just extremely buggy and non-performant on certain platforms, but reviewers generally liked the actual game underneath all of that.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
Yup...the same thing will happen like with Witcher 3. At first a mess but after years One Of The Greatest. It's no Fallout4/76 thing.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if those DF optimized settings are worth it for the extra frames on a 3080/8700k? I heard about weird lighting/low texture issues but curious what people have to say that have been playing with em'!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hey here's my video of my performance I mentioned I'd make tonight. I ran the same loop that I did yesterday and based my comment on:

I think my description was pretty accurate. Running around is pretty much in line with what I posted, around 75-80 FPS with a couple of dips into the high 60s.

Once I get in my car it does dip to 60 FPS and into the high 50s a couple times, though. I didn't test driving yesterday, only just now for this clip.

For the hell of it I did another video showing Digital Foundry's recommended raytracing settings on a 2070 Super, as well: