• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There were, but it seems to be placebo. If I recall correctly somebody here has checked for the game accessing that file and it never does implying the file just isn't used or accessed by the game.
There were, but they seem like they have to be unrelated (I mean if the OS is never logging any open handles on the file, that's pretty much case closed – it's just not being opened by the process so there's no real way it could be impacting anything. Plus VRAM and RAM allocations never really matched the contents of the file to begin with).

My best guess is that the people who think they see a big jump from the change are probably just experiencing this "leak" issue or whatever it is that's causing the game to slow down the longer it runs on some PCs. They start the game fresh after changing the file and get fresh game performance as opposed to degraded performance, and conclude the file did something.
i tried it and it didn't do anything for me.
Well damn, thanks for the clarification.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
UitcPGX.jpg

having a heap of fun with this new character. Annihilation/Engineering focused, run and gun demolition (wo)man. Flashbang into a group of enemies and pick them off one by one with a shotgun. Make it out alive 50% of the time, every time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
This game wasn't in development for 8 years. I'd be surprised if it had more than 2 years of full development, period. But that's true of many AAA games. Pre-production lasts a long time and then you put the full weight of development into the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty sure there is a memory leak on console too. When i starting to notice frame drops, it usually crashes after a min. My game on PS5 crashing every 2 hour
Does your right stick drift like a mofo? I can't even aim it's a struggle lol. Camera moves on it's own... I use the crashes as a good stopping point every time I play at this point 🤷.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There were, but they seem like they have to be unrelated (I mean if the OS is never logging any open handles on the file, that's pretty much case closed – it's just not being opened by the process so there's no real way it could be impacting anything. Plus VRAM and RAM allocations never really matched the contents of the file to begin with).

My best guess is that the people who think they see a big jump from the change are probably just experiencing this "leak" issue or whatever it is that's causing the game to slow down the longer it runs on some PCs. They start the game fresh after changing the file and get fresh game performance as opposed to degraded performance, and conclude the file did something.

There were, but it seems to be placebo. If I recall correctly somebody here has checked for the game accessing that file and it never does implying the file just isn't used or accessed by the game.

Well damn, thanks for the clarification.

It's definitely not placebo. Don't ask me how the file works, but there are wayyy to many people reportings massive gains in fps and loading times with the fix.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but is the monowire kinda ass? I even went and got the legendary one you can find for free and it just seems like a worse melee weapon, unless the regular knife I found is really just that exceptionally good.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I absolutely need the 100,000 eddies for the re-spec... Please someone tell me there is some cheat I can use or a glitch to abuse. I don't want to replay 20 hours just because I f'ed up my build (started stealth hacker, ended up punchy punchy boom boom)

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
UitcPGX.jpg

having a heap of fun with this new character. Annihilation/Engineering focused, run and gun demolition (wo)man. Flashbang into a group of enemies and pick them off one by one with a shotgun. Make it out alive 50% of the time, every time.

Yeah i have been going heavy on the shotguns too, the combat in the game is pretty average but they sure managed to make the fine art of shotgunning people in the face feel good.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I just beat it on PC at lvl 25 after like 30 hours of play.

I give it a 7/10.

Pros: The story, Keanu, character build system, aesthetic

Cons: The bugs, lack of polish, dead feeling city, open-world monotony

I think I'll return to it in a year when it's been patched and some awesome mods are out.

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not placebo. Don't ask me how the file works, but there are wayyy to many people reportings massive gains in fps and loading times with the fix.
If the game literally does not open the file, and the file is never actually used by the game, it is impossible for it to be anything but a placebo (i.e. it might be something else happening in the game, but if the file is just not touched then the file has no relevance to what the fix is). Either the file is used and accessed by the game at some point, or it isn't, but there's nothing subjective about this.

EDIT: See below:
Yeah, I've now booted into the game both to the menus and in-game, and tried to find an open file handle for this file in both ProcessExplorer and this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html, and I'm turning up nothing. There's just no indication this file is ever accessed. It's just an interesting unused file somebody found.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Game really is starting to click now after i hit Act 2. Mainquest is great. Might even end up loving it.

The scope and atmosphere of the city is amazing. On a maxed out PC with all the bells and whistles and a lot less bugs i can see this game scoring high (i play on Ps4 Pro).

Game has definitely a weak start though.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I just beat it on PC at lvl 25 after like 30 hours of play.

I give it a 7/10.

Pros: The story, Keanu, character build system, aesthetic

Cons: The bugs, lack of polish, dead feeling city, open-world monotony

I think I'll return to it in a year when it's been patched and some awesome mods are out.

How did you manage to beat it in 30 hours?
I am at 25ish just a few missions after the title card.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely need the 100,000 eddies for the re-spec... Please someone tell me there is some cheat I can use or a glitch to abuse. I don't want to replay 20 hours just because I f'ed up my build (started stealth hacker, ended up punchy punchy boom boom)
Just do heists / cop missions. They give plenty of cash.
Sell weapons if you have to on top.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Idk know you'd want to re-spec. I'm running a pretty mixed build between body/assault/cool with some tech to do crafting. I enjoy having a variety of options on how to deal with certain situations, not to mention more dialogue choices.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
IGN gave the PS4/XO versions of the game a 4/10.

So I haven't played Witcher 3 on Switch, but I have watched all the related DF videos, and I'm very curious how these last-gen polygon monstrosities compare to the Novigrad NPCs in that game. Of course that's probably an unfair comparison, as Switcher was the result of significant targeted optimization as opposed to...that.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
So, would a 3070 and a 10700K i7 run this game super well? Like 1440p 60fps with RT? And will it reduce bugs compared to console?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
You know what this game reminds me of..? Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's janky, buggy, undercooked and combat/progression is a chaotic mess... but the atmosphere, music and characters still make me power through.

9-BL15-315.jpg

I wish had the same attention to branching dialogue, in-dialogue skill checks, character choice and building off background choices though. They probably didn't set out to make a AAA open world VTM: Bloodlines... but it makes me happy that's where they ended up.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably a combination of placebo and improved performance following a restart due to memory leaks. Feels like every PC release has someone recommending some magic config file trick and offhand I'm hard pressed to think of a time that turned out to be a real fix.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
You definitely didn't do "a lot" of side quests.

I'm 15 hours in, I've done up to the point that I have to meet Jackie at Afterlife and the only other thing I've been doing quest wise is gigs from Regina. I can't believe how varied her jobs are and how many of them there are. Does anybody know how many she has in total?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'll check when I'm back on my console. I think I have less than 10 left? Not including gigs and buying cars in that.
You unlock more and more the more street cred you get. Some are also story / time gated. Heists are more than aplenty too.

I'm clocking 60-70h and I still have a few quests open (did all the heists already tho).

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 15 hours in, I've done up to the point that I have to meet Jackie at Afterlife and the only other thing I've been doing quest wise is gigs from Regina. I can't believe how varied her jobs are and how many of them there are. Does anybody know how many she has in total?

lol Regina STAY having work...this woman is the ultimate hustler lmfao....

im like "damn! stop calling me!" Regina Jones is the new Preston Garvey.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
First of all I love Cyberpunk 2077 and aside of some bugs, the game runs well on medium 1080p on my PC (Ryzen 5 3600 + 1660S + 16GB RAM) at 60fps solid.

The game should have got delayed on now current consoles and PC for a year, and probably cancelled on last gen. This is pretty bad for CD Projekt Red and needed 1 more year to iron out everything. And think that going for PS4+XBO isn't worth it anymore, and it's shit because they knew that this will end up as a shitshow for those console owners who were waiting. I hope they really, really, go ahead and help the people to get a refund, I hope they show goodwill like they messaged.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So, would a 3070 and a 10700K i7 run this game super well? Like 1440p 60fps with RT? And will it reduce bugs compared to console?
With DLSS you should be able to get that performance consistently. In terms of bugs, no. All versions of the game are plagued with the same (enormous) mountain of bugs that impact practically every aspect of the game, from visuals to AI to NPC scripting to UI elements.

The game should have got delayed on now current consoles and PC for a year, and probably cancelled on last gen.
Yep

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so stupid and so glorious sometimes and it keeps going back and forth. End of Act 1 and I think I'm in for the ride. Thought I would return it based on everyone's feedback but I'm in enough to see it through. Right now though I kind of wish this was a 25 linear ride, basically main missions and they took all the effort away from open world and just built a stellar cyberpunk campaign.
Excactly this. The mainquest is glorious and actually holds together the game and simultanely unfolds it.

I have a totally different view now of how well put together and atmospheric the world is.
Bugs aside, If they could improve on some interactivity (like emergent policechases a la GTA maybe) in the world and NPC behavior/density, this would be a really great game imo.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously. If every Fixer has as many quests as Regina then you could probably get over 100 hours just off of gigs. And they are surprisingly varied and high quality too. In an area of ~100m I had three different gigs- one to assassinate a real bad dude (where I was able to sidestep almost his entire compound by moving through a neighboring apartment complex, pop out onto his third floor balcony, take him out silently and then head out with his body the same route I used), another that had me sneaking through a container depot to place a GPS tracker on a car, and finally one that had me try to talk down a vet with serious PTSD who was stealing meds.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bugs aside, If they could improve on some interactivity (like emergent policechases a la GTA maybe) in the world and NPC behavior/density, this would be a really great game imo.

I don't know how they'd fix the police issue. The police absolutely wreck you early-mid game and there is no "continue from hospital" system. you flatline and restart from your nearest save, which can be a bit far back. They'd have to fix both before worrying about fixing just police

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I don't know how they'd fix the police issue. The police absolutely wreck you early-mid game and there is no "continue from hospital" system. you flatline and restart from your nearest save, which can be a bit far back. They'd have to fix both before worrying about fixing just police

I mean, shouldn't simply adjusting the polices' damage output according to player level be easier than implementing a chase-A and more realistic spawn-points?

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Seriously. If every Fixer has as many quests as Regina then you could probably get over 100 hours just off of gigs. And they are surprisingly varied and high quality too. In an area of ~100m I had three different gigs- one to assassinate a real bad dude (where I was able to sidestep almost his entire compound by moving through a neighboring apartment complex, pop out onto his third floor balcony, take him out silently and then head out with his body the same route I used), another that had me sneaking through a container depot to place a GPS tracker on a car, and finally one that had me try to talk down a vet with serious PTSD who was stealing meds.

I only recognize one of those, lol. Are they randomly generated? I don't know how they could be. The highlights for me were rescuing the boxing coach from a Tyger Claw hideout and taking down Jotaro, the bar he was in was a cool backdrop for a firefight.

Aug 30, 2020
You know what this game reminds me of..? Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's janky, buggy, undercooked and combat/progression is a chaotic mess... but the atmosphere, music and characters still make me power through.

9-BL15-315.jpg

I wish had the same attention to branching dialogue, in-dialogue skill checks, character choice and building off background choices though. They probably didn't set out to make a AAA open world VTM: Bloodlines... but it makes me happy that's where they ended up.

I mean it's a bit flipped. The big VTM Bloodlines missions were mostly suffering. Way worse jank, extremely repetitive, not so much branching. But where VTM was cool was having really wild variety of side stuff / really awesome RPG variety.

Similar jank / awesome ratio, but for different reasons.