• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if quests ever expire/timeout except for at obvious point of no returns? Just asking because I got an urgent sounding phone call with a side quest from a companion character, but I don't want to stop doing my current quest line to swap over to that one.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Ca7jwm8.png
lmaooo, at this point this is all about the memes

Dec 23, 2017
So besides the Quadra, are there any other Ghost in the Shell references?

Also, I can't for the life of me find a trench coat for female V. Keep finding corporate looking clothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Does anyone know if quests ever expire/timeout except for at obvious point of no returns? Just asking because I got an urgent sounding phone call with a side quest from a companion character, but I don't want to stop doing my current quest line to swap over to that one.

In my experience, no quests are timed but some may be canceled or stopped based on progress. Urgency in this game is largely faked and I recommend everyone ignore any character that demands your attention. Always look around and always loot the shit you came through.

----

EDIT: Some quests have timelines though. They cannot be interacted with unless within a time window (6pm-6am).

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, no quests are timed but some may be canceled or stopped based on progress. Urgency in this game is largely faked and I recommend everyone ignore any character that demands your attention. Always look around and always loot the shit you came through.

Sounds good. Yeah in one of the early quest lines you are battling through a warehouse that is being burned down and raided, and after clearing each room I spent time methodically looting every single item and piece of junk while Jackie and co. were fighting for their lives XD.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I've been told by friends that the bugs can really screw with the main points of the story enough to ruin the emotional experience and it gets buggier the further you progress? Anyone else have this experience? I'm having a ton of fun but Im hesitant to continue now

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
About the game mechanics. I'm quite underwhelmed by the Engineering perks under the "Technical Abilities" attribute. Going with the Engineering route, I was totally expecting to being able to take advantage of sending out drones, building robots, using robots as temporary companions, etc. It could have been a whole new mechanic, but what we actually got was just perks that makes you do more damage with tech weapons & grenades. Meanwhile, a Netrunner-Quickhack character feels like a fun "Mage" type of RPG build in the future, with a whole mechanic surrounding Quickhacks; also, the Crafting mechanic doesn't seem that kind of useful down the road, when the game is so focus on looting stuff, and practically accessible into acquiring high-end gears

This is so much waste of potential.

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the 'apology' letter, I mean okay, good that they are handing out refunds but the fact is it should have never come to this. I'm fine with what is on PC, I would be fucking livid if I bought this for base Xbox/PS4. It is scummy as shit that they knew how this preformed and they intentionally withheld information.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
About the game mechanics. I'm quite underwhelmed by the Engineering perks under the "Technical Abilities" attribute. Going with the Engineering route, I was totally expecting to being able to take advantage of sending out drones, building robots, using robots as temporary companions, etc. It could have been a whole new mechanic, but what we actually got was just perks that makes you do more damage with tech weapons & grenades. Meanwhile, a Netrunner-Quickhack character feels like a fun "Mage" type of RPG build in the future, with a whole mechanic surrounding Quickhacks; also, the Crafting mechanic doesn't seem that kind of useful down the road, when the game is so focus on looting stuff, and practically accessible into acquiring high-end gears

This is so much waste of potential.

As I understand it, that weird bottom box in the attribute page that is just blank was meant to be the gadgets skill tree, specifically the flathead. I expect it to show up in the expansions.

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the 'apology' letter, I mean okay, good that they are handing out refunds but the fact is it should have never come to this. I'm fine with what is on PC, I would be fucking livid if I bought this for base Xbox/PS4. It is scummy as shit that they knew how this preformed and they intentionally withheld information.
There plan is 100% going to be to get people to try and refund, knowing that only a fraction of people will (as they try to push people to wait until outside the return period with the promise of a patch which is unlikely to address the key issues), and knowing that there'll be pushback from retailers which might just push them out of the eligibility period. As you say, they knew exactly how it performed and did their best to deceive; it's a non-apology and just a way to try and cushion the hit to their reputation to save their falling stock price.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I've been told by friends that the bugs can really screw with the main points of the story enough to ruin the emotional experience and it gets buggier the further you progress? Anyone else have this experience? I'm having a ton of fun but Im hesitant to continue now
I dunno. Play your way but make many "Hard Saves". I recommend you ignore the chatter and just have fun.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 9 and a half hours in on PS4 and the game is pretty much exactly my expectations. I'm enjoying it and it looks fine to me. There have been a few graphical glitches here and there and one freeze but overall it doesn't feel much worse than Fallout or even Witcher 3 on release. I kind of worried they were overshooting the PS4/XBO versions but with a few fixes in the future they should be fine.

I'm enjoying the characters and setting a good bit. The writing in the main stuff anyway is pretty decent. Getting used to the combat, too.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yes, 1000x make hard saves. bugs and glitches abound and though it wasnt a main quest, i did get the famous Delamain side gig bug and had to go back to my autosave at beginning of the mission and hope it didnt happen again.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they rework (perhaps, revert) the character creation screen, there's far too much scrolling and left/right arrow pressing. Would not be surprised if developer leads had pushed for this kind of design to maximise marketing material appeal.

I much preferred the 2018 demo version and its design aesthetic can still be seen in places like Viktor Vector's lab screens.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Have to say there's a lot of neat setting up in regards to characters that you don't notice on your first run through.

Both Evelyn and Judy are chilling out at the bar right next to you as you introduce yourself to Mateo. Evelyn spots you and Judy bounces right as the camera focuses right in on Mateo

Stuff like that is littered through the Act 1.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yep, I have the same problem. Performance degrades over time 100% consistently, eventually to the point where it drops from around 60 to around 30fps. I basically have to reboot the game every hour or so. When I do, it's butter smooth for the first while. Eventually, maybe after a half hour or so, I start getting small drops, and then it ramps up to being garbage everywhere. Is there a way to skip all the splash screens? Sure would make all this restarting more tolerable.

Another thing I noticed is that when you play around with certain settings (seems to mostly be ray tracing or DLSS) you can sometimes instantly kill your performance til a reboot as well. It's also weird because sometimes I have managed to clear up the slow downs by reloading a save... but other times this doesn't work and i need the full reboot. It's totally inconsistent.

I am using a 9900k/3080/32GB. Basically using Dictator 's optimized RT settings (so the only RT on is RT lighting medium and reflections) with DLSS performance @ 4k. When the game first starts the performance is very good, usually hanging fairly close to 60... but eventually it shits the bed until I restart the game.

Tried testing it a little bit more - I'm not a 100% sure if it's time or re-loading save games: Post in PC Gaming thread
Hopefully this will get fixed soon - I've never witnessed a bug (?) like this in a game. It's no memory leak I guess, as that pool doesn't seem to change over time while playing.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah the game would have been so much better with a hub like Prague in Mankind Divided.
This is how I feel about most games that want to be open world and then do absolutely nothing to make their open world actually interesting. Its why I love Demon's Souls so much. I also felt Deus Ex had a decent amount to explore in the hubs, missions, and very consistent quality visually that is afforded by scaling things back. At times 2077 is one of the best looking games, it would be at all times if they scaled it back since they open world is really just an unnecessary illusion.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I wonder if they should have just delayed the console versions. I mean, it's rarely done these days but the backlash from releasing poor console versions so far seems bigger than the backlash from just releasing the PC version earlier than the rest.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
someone should make an AI compilation for this game cause the interactions making my stomach hurt

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 9 and a half hours in on PS4 and the game is pretty much exactly my expectations. I'm enjoying it and it looks fine to me. There have been a few graphical glitches here and there and one freeze but overall it doesn't feel much worse than Fallout or even Witcher 3 on release. I kind of worried they were overshooting the PS4/XBO versions but with a few fixes in the future they should be fine.

I'm enjoying the characters and setting a good bit. The writing in the main stuff anyway is pretty decent. Getting used to the combat, too.

The game runs like shit and looks terrible on PS4/XBO. 720p/15fps is unacceptable and you should expect better.

And that's even before all the bugs/glitches that need fixing.

"Few fixes" has me loling

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
The game is so buggy on a console it didn't even show a title card for me when it's supposed to. It's a mess.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say there's a lot of neat setting up in regards to characters that you don't notice on your first run through.

Both Evelyn and Judy are chilling out at the bar right next to you as you introduce yourself to Mateo. Evelyn spots you and Judy bounces right as the camera focuses right in on Mateo

Stuff like that is littered through the Act 1.
I loved that. I knew who it was obviously and panned the camera towards her and Judy even glances at you before leaving.

The named character models and animations are really impressive.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Bruh it literally runs at 15 FPS at times. It's not acceptable. Are you on the Pro at least?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That is awesome. I'm sorry. That is fuckin radically bad. Holy shit 😂😂😂🤷🏿‍♂️

It occurs to me that one of the best parts about being physical only is that it doesn't matter how many patches CDPR releases, you can always do a clean install back to how the game was at launch to revisit this insanity

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, IGN gave Cyberpunk a 4 out of 10 on console.
"If your only option right now is playing Cyberpunk 2077 on either of the base console platforms, I highly suggest you don't play at all until its many terrible performance issues are fixed. And if you've already bought it and had an experience similar to what I've described, you should absolutely get a refund if possible. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions are simply not in an acceptable state, and it makes me sad to think that so many people are having their first Cyberpunk 2077 experience ruined this way – because when it works, it's a fantastic RPG"