• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So, am I missing something or does skills just level up REALLY slowly? I've put dozens of hours in, I deconstruct almost anything I can find, and yet my crafting is like at lvl 4. I'm also super sneaky, sneaky yet I think my stealth has barely scratched Lvl 10. Are skills supposed to level this slowly? If so, I don't see myself even getting to the second tier of crafting before I finish the game because the XP given is so miniscule.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
On Series X I also have the freezes that can last up to several seconds before resuming. I don't think it has anything to do by being in-game as it happened to me in the intro logo screen right when you boot the game up. Have yet to have any crashes, surprisingly. My brother on the other hand has the freezes as well as crashes (sometimes hard crashes that turns the system off & other times kicks him to the dashboard) on the Series X.

I couldn't handle how Quality Mode looked and neither could my brother (he doesn't mind 30fps if it means increased visuals for a single player game). It's weird, it appears to be a locked 30 fps but when moving the camera around it has a very weird trailing. Similar to frame pacing issues but doesn't quite look like that. I just couldn't handle how it looked so chose Performance Mode (though that is what I had settled on before even playing the game).
I have no real significant issues with quality mode and it appears to be the best way to play it given the crowd density and fidelity

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
So, am I missing something or does skills just level up REALLY slowly? I've put dozens of hours in, I deconstruct almost anything I can find, and yet my crafting is like at lvl 4. I'm also super sneaky, sneaky yet I think my stealth has barely scratched Lvl 10. Are skills supposed to level this slowly? If so, I don't see myself even getting to the second tier of crafting before I finish the game because the XP given is so miniscule.

Levelling up is pretty slow, Street Cred levels up much quicker it seems.

I'm finally getting into a groove with the game after finding the first few hours underwhelming. The city architecture/layout and variety of locales is very impressive.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Photo mode is kind of addicting

38-E141-D6-3-AD0-44-FE-A7-AD-BBF5-A3-A9-D7-C6.png
EE8-AEEF6-FE3-B-40-BA-8405-99186222032-B.png

323206-A7-D9-C9-4-D74-BD81-07990359-AC66.png

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington

Don't forget that the skills only level to the level of the attribute they are under so if your Cool attribute is level 10 stealth will stop leveling when it hits level 10.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I give up, the game keeps crashing at the starting ripperdoc mission. Already happened 5 times and now the game crashes while booting up. I'm getting a refund, hopefully steam can accept despite the 6 hours playtime. I did not pay a full price game to experience the game denying me to play or even boot up the game.

This game bugginess is worse than a Elder scrolls/fallout game.

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
Delamains gigs sent me to zones with enemies 2 shotting me and dropping loot 10+ levels higher than I am. Wish I could see the enemies strength before taking on them.

Games crashing a LOT more now after the patch. Might just wait for some stability patches cause its annoying AF doing things like BDs multiple times if it crashes right after.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX

Go into your talent tree for Crafting and make sure you have more points spent in Technical Ability. There's a strange system where you have to spend points to unlock the exp bar so you can gain more exp. So, for example, if you have 4 in Technical Ability, then Crafting can't go beyond 4. Mine is 5 because my Technical Ability was 5 (capped at "MAX"). As a test I put 1 more point into Technical Ability and it unlocked the bar to 6.

EDIT: You don't actually have to spend the new talent points you get into Crafting. Just in the core category.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Delamains gigs sent me to zones with enemies 2 shotting me and dropping loot 10+ levels higher than I am. Wish I could see the enemies strength before taking on them.

Games crashing a LOT more now after the patch. Might just wait for some stability patches cause its annoying AF doing things like BDs multiple times if it crashes right after.

from my understanding the missions that are "high" or "very high" you want to avoid until they are moderate as they will be higher level enemies. The delamains gigs should show that in the journal

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
On Series X I also have the freezes that can last up to several seconds before resuming. I don't think it has anything to do by being in-game as it happened to me in the intro logo screen right when you boot the game up. Have yet to have any crashes, surprisingly. My brother on the other hand has the freezes as well as crashes (sometimes hard crashes that turns the system off & other times kicks him to the dashboard) on the Series X.

I couldn't handle how Quality Mode looked and neither could my brother (he doesn't mind 30fps if it means increased visuals for a single player game). It's weird, it appears to be a locked 30 fps but when moving the camera around it has a very weird trailing. Similar to frame pacing issues but doesn't quite look like that. I just couldn't handle how it looked so chose Performance Mode (though that is what I had settled on before even playing the game).
I'm having exactly the opposite experience from you. I'm playing on my Series X on Performance Mode and have yet to have a lock up. I tried Quality Mode but the 60 vs 30 FPS was just too much. After the patch the game is behaving even better. I've just seen maybe 3-4 bugs total. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
I have an annoying glitch, wondering if anyone has encountered it and managed to fix it. After the "Lightning Breaks" mission, where I had to control a drone, I'm stuck with the drone's controls-- Shoot, Scanner, Zoom Out, Zoom In-- still on my screen even after it's finished. Any ideas on how to remove it?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This may help a lot of people here:

old.reddit.com

PSA: AMD CPU? You can DOUBLE your FPS!

Credits go to:...

If you have an AMD CPU

Sorry if I missed this posted somewhere.

Huh, this might be why my laptop didn't seem to get above 60fps even though I was even pushing Low presets. I already refunded the game, though. I wonder if it'd be worth trying again. I have an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 that has a Ryzen 9 4900HS CPU, can't help but be curious if that was what was causing me issues. I could somewhat reliably get over 60fps in some of the opening areas but once I started wandering Night City, I was hovering 45-55 (on Medium presets). It's not the best-specced laptop and the GPU is a 2060 Max-Q, so there's plenty of other places that could be the actual culprit, but damn if this isn't tempting me to give it another go.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
certification process needs to be MUCH stricter, it simply can´t be that games are getting a pass which crash periodically. and that includes their first party games too.(looking at SM remastered)

It's probably nearly impossible for a major game like this to fail Microsoft or Sony certification since neither company is going to want it to only launch on their competitor's consoles because the game failed their certification process.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
It should be dynamic. I think NX said it was but I'd have to re watch to verify. I posted that vid on the prior page if you want to watch.
That's ok. I'll watch the NX video myself. Really enjoy them!

But it does look like it's dynamic because I was driving in a built up area and looked blurrier than usual.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the main story, got the bad end, I think.

I kind of want to play more through to the other ends but there's so much that needs to be fixed or iterated on. They've got the makings of the 9/10 or 10/10 game but so many things are in a rough shape and just not there yet. Nothing expansions will be able to fix either. Going to dwell on my gripes a bit more but I think it's a solid 7/10 at the moment with it bumping up to 8/10 in a years time.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on hard and the Melee Build is going quite well. I'm lvl 9 and my Katana ioutputs nearly 400 dps. Nevermind Fast movement speeds + Dismemberment is just an endlessly satisfying combination.

The only time I sully myself by picking up a gun is when I'm forced to.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm having exactly the opposite experience from you. I'm playing on my Series X on Performance Mode and have yet to have a lock up. I tried Quality Mode but the 60 vs 30 FPS was just too much. After the patch the game is behaving even better. I've just seen maybe 3-4 bugs total. 🤷🏽‍♂️
The game hasn't locked up for me, I have had it pause for like 4 - 7 seconds at random times and then resume including in the intro logo screen (like Digital Foundry showed in their PS5 & Xbox Series X|S analysis). I have yet to experience a crash.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
certification process needs to be MUCH stricter, it simply can´t be that games are getting a pass which crash periodically. and that includes their first party games too.(looking at SM remastered)

When I worked in dev (circa 2008), it was MUCH stricter than it was now, and it also cost studios a truckload of money to submit to cert. certain certs (Sony Europe, for example) were notoriously brutal and difficult to pass. Failing a cert was disastrous and meant instant massive crunch/overtime to prep a new build.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
how did this game get so many 10/10s???

I look forward to reading the article by whatever journalist uncovers what went wrong with this game.

already covered:

kotaku.com

As Cyberpunk 2077 Development Intensifies, CD Projekt Red Pledges To Be 'More Humane' To Its Workers

Footage of the upcoming role-playing game Cyberpunk 2077 has blown away fans so far, but coupled with that hype is a burning question: Are workers at CD Projekt Red, the Polish studio behind the game, ruining their lives to make it? The developer best known for The Witcher series has cultivated...

www.bloomberg.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Publisher Orders 6-Day Weeks Ahead of Launch

Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project.

www.polygon.com

Cyberpunk 2077 has involved months of crunch, despite past promises

The practice is evidence of poor management and disregard for the people who make our games

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reeves is....a mixed bag. He's okay when he's playing the idealist and laid back Johnny, but he's downright laughable when they want him to seem threatening or angry.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I look forward to reading the article by whatever journalist uncovers what went wrong with this game.

A studio with no smooth launches to date aside from perhaps the Gwent game aiming to make a 2020 Crysis-style system killer and being forced by some sort of contractual obligation to release before the end of 2020 is probably all there is to the story, but I will admit that I'm also curious if there's any other weird elements that greatly contributed to this bizarre launch.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Cyberpunk lets you complete objectives in multiple ways through how you build your abilities in story and side missions but has an empty, unreactive world. Or a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 with unbelievable attention to detail like shrinking horse balls in the open world but missions auto fail you if you walk 10 feet to the right of the character you're following. Just very different things.

Maybe someone will combine the two one day

Good point contrasting the openness of cyberpunk in gameplay versus rdr2. And the depth of the world in rdr2 versus cyberpunk. I like you. Nuggets of common sense like this is so refreshing after going through the cp2077 subreddit.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
This is one game where I don't mind driving to a location instead of fast traveling. Everything is just too gorgeous.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
18 hours according to steam and actually just had my first bug that wasn't just a minor silly NPC freakout. Lost my health bar (and nothing else on the HUD) and couldn't fire my sniper rifle. Weird. Also the game had started running like shit, after a reboot we were good again.

Anyways, been doing side missions for a while...I really like the ones that are like mini Deus Ex missions with multiple routes in or ways to complete them. I'm hoping for some more elaborately branching missions like the one to retrieve the Flathead early on, but not super optimistic on that front.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Hi V my name is Tetsuo, I am kind of a big deal in Night City. If you need a quick connect to some eddys or are looking to make contact with someone, I am your man. First though can I interest you in a used car? We got a CT-3X just in, new paint new times you are gonna love it let me get on the line with the bank to see what I can do about this interest rate.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Do I ever get to leave night city ?

I'm at Pacifica but I wonder when I can go back to the outskirts of town like where I was in the nomad beggining

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Hi V my name is Tetsuo, I am kind of a big deal in Night City. If you need a quick connect to some eddys or are looking to make contact with someone, I am your man. First though can I interest you in a used car? We got a CT-3X just in, new paint new times you are gonna love it let me get on the line with the bank to see what I can do about this interest rate.

the funny thing is I was ignoring the hell out of these until someone offered me the fucking Akira Bike and you better believe I sat up straight

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Seen all the problems they have with the AI, I can't stop wondering what will they do with the multi-player. Are they going to rework all the AI system? That's a lot of work.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Good point contrasting the openness of cyberpunk in gameplay versus rdr2. And the depth of the world in rdr2 versus cyberpunk. I like you. Nuggets of common sense like this is so refreshing after going through the cp2077 subreddit.

I mean, that isn't really news to anyone. RDR 2 is very restrictive in its main missions... it's also not trying to be an RPG with open ended mission structure. It's a highly cinematic narrative inside a big open world full of shit to do.

The difference is that CDPR did actually promote their open world possibilities and how its going to be define the "next gen of open world". Also, straight up promised incredibly advanced AI systems, over 1000 npc's with persistent schedules. And in the end we got an open world filled with npc's with AI arguably worse than GTA San andreas. You can't even have proper police chases in free roam for gods sake.

Their very marketing states that looks are everything yet there isn't even possible to get a haircut, something even TW3 allowed.

And it just goes on and on.

The game deserves all the flak its getting

And furthermore, CDPR also promised an online mode, similiar that of GTA Online - how the fuck is that going to work in an open world like this?