• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Just uninstalled today. The unreliability of the parry working on the low-mid-high enemy was kinda the last straw. Glad others are enjoying it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just uninstalled today. The unreliability of the parry working on the low-mid-high enemy was kinda the last straw. Glad others are enjoying it.
This has alienated me a bit, too. I'm sure I could master it eventually, but it just hasn't been intuitive for me.

That said, I persist. On chapter 8 right now. The sheen and novelty has worn off for me, but I'm still enjoying the game enough to play a chapter at a time. There's some really good level and enemy design in here. The story doesn't interest me at all, though, but I didn't expect it to.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
The final boss is ass, man.

Rest of the game was fantastic, but this thing is a load of junk.

The first guy is all about sprint dashing through him.

Second phase is about just standing to either side and jump hitting over and over until the orbs that track you come out, then sprint attack through to the opposite side and continue.

Third phase just play it safe and use the purple buff to shoot up. The spinning swords are the dangerous part, don't even try to damage it during that phase and just dodge.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Holy crap, that last boss is a fucking nightmare. I get that this game was clearly inspired by Ninja Gaiden, but did they need to homage it to that degree?

Nekro

Oct 30, 2017
Final boss was super hard but once you figure it out its actually quite straight forward. Actually when i beat it i managed to just get hit like once (it took me like 1-2 hours tho not gonna lie). If someone is having trouble just keep trying to work through the paterns and figure out a strategy, its actually an extremely fair fight.
Honestly i was mad at it, but it was one of the best final bosses i have fought in a long time.

The biggest problem with the game is the parry tho, really hard to perform reliably. If this was fixed the game would be so much better.

1.03 Hotfix Released
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
New update:

Cyber Shadow: Update Notes | Yacht Club Games

Best Game Company Born of a Yacht

• Improvement: Apparitor now drops more Essence depending on your Essence level. This should help assist players needing to purchase items at nearby checkpoints to aid your adventure.
  • Improvement: Overall HP/SP rates have been improved.
  • Improvement: Bullets now get destroyed if they pass through Shadow while in i-frames
  • Improvement: Adjustments in difficulty for Rust Fly Elevator in Chapter 2 and Chapter 7 areas
  • Improvement: Added flickering effect for items that expire
  • Improvement: You can now Dash after Airstriking
  • Improvement: Allow parry when in i-frames
  • Fixed: Collecting a health item immediately before falling into a pit will keep you from dying
  • Fixed: Performing a Dash immediately after a no-SP Dash would result in a slow movement speed but a fast Dash animation
  • Fixed: Dying on the same frame as Laserbrain makes the tri-key upgrade unobtainable
  • Fixed: Incorrect syntax for "Press X to Start" in Spanish
  • Fixed: Swag Blade was causing lanterns to get destroyed in the monkey race challenge
  • Fixed: Special items could activate triggers in CyberDrive sequences
  • Fixed: A cosmetic effect where Airstrike would appear to penetrate through a door
  • Fixed: General level design improvements where you could sometimes move outside of the camera boundary
  • Fixed: Apparitor's name not translated during EXO encounter
  • Fixed: Instances where the player could Dash-slash enemies that just transitioned into solids, allowing Shadow to pass through solids in some rare instances
  • Fixed: Shadow could move out of bounds during the boat sequence after having destroyed the corrupted core
  • Fixed: Orbiter fixes to prevent orbiting orbs from getting stuck at expanded sizes (phew)
  • Fixed: Issue with CRT filter where white values weren't being clamped correctly

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, I eventually learned the final boss's patterns by banging my head against the wall.
First phase was never an issue. I just shot kunais at the Apparitor.

Second phase became much easier when I learned you c parry the flames on the ground. Dashing to avoid those dumbass homing orbs became more feasible this way.

Third phase became a test of patience. Avoided those flying blades with the massive hit box and just shot blazing falcons at him when he went airborne. Never figured out if you really can shoot the red/purple buff up toward him.

My real issue with the final boss is that it isn't necessarily intuitive. Lots of stuff going on in the final phase, and it doesn't help that there's (usually) no healing and you die in just a few hits. And yeah, fuck those homing orbs.
Good game, in all. Beat the game at 77% with 234 deaths, then again at 100% with 303 deaths. First tried the final boss on my second go-around. I wish you had more i-frames when hit... too many double (and triple) hits in some instances. I didn't have issues with parry consistency, although the window to do it is pretty small. Maybe my experience with rolling through attacks in Monster Hunter helped out lol.

I feel like easy mode is mandatory in games like this. It's just too alienating for less skilled players when the only difficulty setting approaches old school NES levels.

Last edited:

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I eventually learned the final boss's patterns by banging my head against the wall.
First phase was never an issue. I just shot kunais at the Apparitor.

Second phase became much easier when I learned you c parry the flames on the ground. Dashing to avoid those dumbass homing orbs became more feasible this way.

Third phase became a test of patience. Avoided those flying blades with the massive hit box and just shot blazing falcons at him when he went airborne. Never figured out if you really can shoot the red/purple buff up toward him.

My real issue with the final boss is that it isn't necessarily intuitive. Lots of stuff going on in the final phase, and it doesn't help that there's (usually) no healing and you die in just a few hits. And yeah, fuck those homing orbs.
Good game, in all. Beat the game at 77% with 234 deaths, then again at 100% with 303 deaths. First tried the final boss on my second go-around. I wish you had more i-frames when hit... too many double (and triple) hits in some instances. I didn't have issues with parry consistency, although the window to do it is pretty small. Maybe my experience with rolling through attacks in Monster Hunter helped out lol.

I feel like easy mode is mandatory in games like this. It's just too alienating for less skilled players when the only difficulty setting approaches old school NES levels.

The purple buff gives you a projectile on your attack, the down attack shoots it straight up.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
I am having way too much trouble with

The final chapter climb to the boss. The airstrike just doesn't happen half the time for me and then timing gets all off and I'm in a world of hurt. Must keep trying though.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I finished it in 17 hours. As someone who's avoided hard games in the past I thought I'd challenge myself. Please tell me I'm not the only one this bad at games...

that and i died A LOT from dash / parry / down strike thing etc not working.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
How likely is this to get a physical release from someone like Limited Run Games? Has one already been announced? I really want to play it, but I'd rather wait if there's going to be a physical edition coming out eventually.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. The end boss was a learning experience, i'd love to meet someone who did it 1st attempt.
Far from the best of this retro style of recent years, but still Enjoyed my time with it, even when I have zero idea what was going on with the story.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Decided to check this game out on Game Pass after watching it for a bit on Giant Bomb's Unprofessional Friday stream, and I love it so far. Not very deep into it yet, only Chapter 3, but it feels damn good to play. Really love the music, too.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished it. The end boss was a learning experience, i'd love to meet someone who did it 1st attempt.
Far from the best of this retro style of recent years, but still Enjoyed my time with it, even when I have zero idea what was going on with the story.
I also finished it yesterday. The 2nd phase of the final boss is actually the hardest part. Once you understand the 3rd phase it is quite easy if you are patient.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How likely is this to get a physical release from someone like Limited Run Games? Has one already been announced? I really want to play it, but I'd rather wait if there's going to be a physical edition coming out eventually.
as likely as anything else. also, this is yacht club, they publish their own stuff. if this is a hit, you'll see this on a shelf.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I'm in the second-to-last level I think that I've gone from singing this game's praises to feeling like I won't recommend it to anyone. There's such a massive dip in the quality of the level design, the checkpoint placement, and the difficulty curve on this level that I think it tanks the entire game. It has soured my otherwise delightful experience to the point where I think I'm not gonna bother finishing it. What a shame.

Up to this point everything felt like it was NES-esque difficulty/level design but with far more generous checkpoints than the games that inspired it, but I can't defend these later levels. They're legitimately poorly designed IMO. Up to this point I felt that the game was nearly perfect for what it was and was far easier than most retro-inspired games of this type.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it.

Just over 12 hours and 452 deaths.

Not sure if I'll try for 100% or to get other feats but this was mostly an amazing game. A few sections may have been a little extra frustrating but most of that was probably a lack of skill. The music is really really good.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow I think this is the hardest I've ever turned on a game.

Yesterday I played though levels 1-6 and pretty much enjoyed every minute of it. I thought the difficulty was just right, level design was great, and even the parts where I died a ton weren't too frustrating to repeat.

Today I did levels 7-9 and I have no idea what happened here but it feels like all fun got sucked out of the game. The game is suddenly eff-you hard in the least fun way possible (flying enemies everywhere, knock back deaths, annoying enemy placement).

I feel drained. Hopefully coming back to it tomorrow helps but I kinda just want the game to be over now. The first 60% or so of the game was so good, it's a huge shame.

Last edited:

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if you can continue your save after you've finished the game and just backtrack to go for 100% items or is it just better to start a new game?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Yesterday I played though levels 1-6 and pretty much enjoyed every minute of it. I thought the difficulty was just right, level design was great, and even the parts where I died a ton weren't too frustrating to repeat.

Today I did levels 7-9 and I have no idea what happened here but it feels like all fun got sucked out of the game. The game is sudden eff-you hard in the least fun way possible (flying enemies everywhere, knock back deaths, annoying enemy placement).

I feel drained. Hopefully coming back to it tomorrow helps but I kinda just want the game to be over now. The first 60% or so of the game was so good, it's a huge shame.
See my post a few above yours. I felt exactly the same way.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Tried it on Game Pass, it's pretty good, and soundtrack is amazing. Like another user I got some weird slowdowns mostly during the first boss seemingly at random. Is it normal?

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
So I love this game. Im absolutely in love with hi-bit games that mimic the NES or SNES but with modern touches. The combat is fast and satisfying especially when you get all the moves. The dash ability feels so damn good every time you execute it. Ill never get tired of it.

But holy fucking shit, is this game kicking my ass. I would consider myself a decent gamer and I grew up on these Ninja Gaiden type games, but ever since Chapter 8 I feel like there was a huge difficulty spike. From Chapters 1-7 I was making normal progress, dying alot but making progress at the same. Ever since chapter 8 I have been only advancing 1 checkpoint every half an hour or so.

Now I'm on the last chapter and I cant even get to the last boss. Im not gonna quit but I wanna finish this game so I can move on to something else. I've been literally replaying the same checkpoint over and over again.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I love this game. Im absolutely in love with hi-bit games that mimic the NES or SNES but with modern touches. The combat is fast and satisfying especially when you get all the moves. The dash ability feels so damn good every time you execute it. Ill never get tired of it.

But holy fucking shit, is this game kicking my ass. I would consider myself a decent gamer and I grew up on these Ninja Gaiden type games, but ever since Chapter 8 I feel like there was a huge difficulty spike. From Chapters 1-7 I was making normal progress, dying alot but making progress at the same. Ever since chapter 8 I have been only advancing 1 checkpoint every half an hour or so.

Now I'm on the last chapter and I cant even get to the last boss. Im not gonna quit but I wanna finish this game so I can move on to something else. I've been literally replaying the same checkpoint over and over again.
It's pretty savage that last section.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Today I did levels 7-9 and I have no idea what happened here but it feels like all fun got sucked out of the game. The game is suddenly eff-you hard in the least fun way possible (flying enemies everywhere, knock back deaths, annoying enemy placement).

^
Okay the game pulled me back for level 10 and the last boss. I actually really liked these levels and thought they were tough but fair.

Weird quality dip in levels 7-9 there. The rest of the game is otherwise excellent.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I see people complaining about the last few stages, but they didn't seem too different in difficulty to me. Didn't have any issues with 8-10, except a few spots.
The last boss though. Geez. I think I spent about an hour on him. Even though I could
get past Apparitor without many issues, especially after the first few tries I could do it without getting hit. The Progenitor first form was a little more uncertain for me. I knew what to do but i guess i was getting impatient. The last form of Progenitor sucks, but I guess you also just had to be patient and dodge more.
finished it with 7h50m, 80% items and 398 deaths.
Also, PROTIP for Final Boss:
I don't see this mentioned anywhere else, but when you beat Apparitor, you can get him to drop health as his body is being dragged off the platform. I *THINK* you just keep hacking away at his corpse and he'll drop a big health item and a few small ones. It would happen inconsistently, but I think it helps if you beat him towards the center of the platform then just keep hitting him as Progenitor comes online. These will stay on the platform till you pick them up, even into the next form of Progenitor.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got about halfway through the game on Xbox Gamepass and then just went and bought it on PS5 to support the developer. Legit one of my favorite indie games in like... quite some time. Its made me incredibly mad but it also keeps pulling me back in to try again even if I get annoyed by it so that's saying something.

Nov 10, 2017
So I have read there are ways to map sprint to a different button. Am I missing something? I cant figure out how to do that.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I definitely die a hell of a lot, but enjoying the game. This water dragon asshole though...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the trophy for beating scrambler without taking damage. Would have been way easier if the way the boxes dropped when he smashes the ground sometimes didn't just completely fuck me with nowhere to go. Lol.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I keep finding myself playing this on autopilot. It's a fine game, but not quite as engaging as I was hoping.

What's a more engaging game than this of the same style? Certainly not the messenger. And no, hollow knight doesn't apply. Personally it takes me like 10-15 tries of a part in any stage until i reach the checkpoint. Its like redoing the whole 3-4 platform screens until i master it so i can advance. But maybe i'm just a noob and you're a master, dunno.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yep I have. Double tapping a direction works fine. R1 does nothing and I have no options to change it.
can you not just remap the buttons on PS5 like you can everywhere else (in-game)? I don't see why this would be different. The game has fully remappable controls and sprint is default bound to both and you can disable the > > to sprint in the gameplay settings separately. have you tried all of this?

Nov 10, 2017
can you not just remap the buttons on PS5 like you can everywhere else (in-game)? I don't see why this would be different. The game has fully remappable controls and sprint is default bound to both and you can disable the > > to sprint in the gameplay settings separately. have you tried all of this?

E1vESWL.jpg

nMJjfhh.jpg

Heres what it looks like. Have Sprint and no option to change

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
+1 to the final boss whining... I honestly don't know if I'll try it again but I'm leaning towards no. I understand there are strategies and tricks to not get hit with some of the bullshit attacks, but having to go through it again, as a multi phase boss, is a big no for me. This ain't Sekiro, and even there it was soul consuming for me (maybe can't compare MANY HOURS in Sekiro's final boss to maybe 45 minutes of tries here anyway but well), having to constantly beat meaningless phases just to get to the real boss. Fuck off.

I really liked the rest of the game though, great music and visuals, good controls overall (I didn't feel like parry being busted had a really big impact on gameplay as I normally found other more reliable strategies for levels and bosses, but it sucks that it doesn't work allright because it would make for much more awesome high level gameplay) and nice linear design (which doesn't mean it maybe would be better as a proper metroivania imo).

Btw I have one chapter that seems unplayed. Wtf? Is there a branching path somewhere or an optional level?

Oct 25, 2017
On the end boss. Spent an hour last night failing... got literally one bar away once.

I can actually make it to the third phase with full health now. Can't quite get it done, though. I'm so ready to be done with this game...

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to go for 100% items and the ones you have to back to earlier levels after you have more skills are pretty tough. I will persevere though!

I kinda gave up on some of the other feats though, I don't think I'd ever be able to defeat the dragon without touching the water.

PS5 not being able to map sprint is pretty weird, it works fine on Switch.

For the final boss, patience is key. If you don't have a good opening to attack on a cycle, focus on avoiding damage and wait for the next opportunity.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to go for 100% items and the ones you have to back to earlier levels after you have more skills are pretty tough. I will persevere though!

I kinda gave up on some of the other feats though, I don't think I'd ever be able to defeat the dragon without touching the water.

PS5 not being able to map sprint is pretty weird, it works fine on Switch.

For the final boss, patience is key. If you don't have a good opening to attack on a cycle, focus on avoiding damage and wait for the next opportunity.

The dragon one is tricky but if you pay attention to his pattern you'll know which way he'll come from next, so it comes down to keep creating platforms so you have always somewhere to go. With some luck you'll eventually you'll end up under his mouth where you can do a lot of damage with the upwards fire attack.

If you can beat the final boss, you can basically do all the feats as well honestly.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat this the other night. Overall, pretty enjoyable. I definitely had troubles with the final boss at first, but it wasn't so bad once I got the patterns figured out. The final level before then, however, felt like torture. I never want to see another pink robot that flies and shoots lasers again...