• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Swedish, I've heard rumours of exceptionally uncool families doing this but I've never experienced it myself.
I myself think sounds incredibly rude, but I come from a pretty international family so I might have a different perspective. It does bring to mind a sort of stereotypical image of the parochial Swede.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
My mum actually had a codephrase for when this happened. "FHB" which stands for "Family Hold Back".

It basically meant "I didn't expect this person to be staying for dinner so I didn't make enough food and I don't want it to get awkward. Family members only take a little bit so there is enough for the guest and I'll make more food later after they go home".

Edit: lol I just googled it. Turns out it wasn't just my family. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FHB&amp=true

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
UK and if friends were round my mum would offer them something but everyone generally just went home unless staying over. I don't think I expected anything either as I was Vegetarian as a kid, Veggie friends would get generic veggie fingers and chips meal as a younger kid but as I got older and we all lived really close would just hang out till meal time then go home. It would of been considered weird though if staying round not to offer some kind of food.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what religion he was, but when I was growing up in the UK, in primary school there was a kid I was friends with who had to leave school every lunch time to to eat with his family at home. To be clear, that was weird to us because no one was allowed to leave school even for lunch at that age and in my school but him.

Apparently his religion meant be was only allowed to eat with others in his religion and that's why he had to leave every lunch and come back after lunch. He also wouldn't invite people over to his house after school (maybe to avoid issues like in the OP for different reasons) and he also wouldn't eat with us when he came to our house.

Sounds almost certainly like Exclusive Brethren. They are weird AF.

tootsi666

Dec 13, 2018
This was the standard in my childhood in Finland (Northern Ostrobothnia, 100km from Sweden) at least. My mum would have been mad if I dared to eat at a friend's place and it was the same for my friends.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Belgian here. Yeah. I don't think I ever ate at a friends house, and I remember playing on the PlayStation in my friends room while his family had dinner, lol
On the other hand, when you visit here you do get drinks offered and there is often something to snack (usually some cookies or cake). It's just dinner/lunch that is a different thing. You get invited way beforehand if they want you to eat as a guest.

Meanwhile in Portugal I've been offered sardines while asking directions and got invited to join a picknic of complete strangers who happened to take the outside table next to us in some park while we were having sandwiches, lol.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My Mum would die of shame. She took pride in cooking for guests, she'd be mortified at the thought of somebody missing out.

Lol seriously, my mom would have straight up not eaten anything if it meant my friend staying over could have a good meal. No way she would not invite them to eat with us.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
200.gif
Off topic but is that danny brown?
Where is this from?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds almost certainly like Exclusive Brethren. They are weird AF.

It could well be. It was extremely odd to us as kids when we were trying to work out why he wasn't allowed to eat with the other kids at school etc. We were super young so we didn't really get just how different some sects of Christianity can be, but we also didn't know many kids who actually went to church or had very religious families either so yeah it all added up to a very odd thing for us.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
That's some weird shit ngl, I don't think I've ever been to a friends house without almost immediately be offered food.

Same thing in reverse, my mom would always want to feed my friends.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My mom always considered to have at least a bit more (whenever we could afford, of course) in case a friend or someone happened to drop. I find not offering something incredibly rude.

If you can't, at least say something before. I remember being at a friends house and they were going to eat, I was fairly new to that family so I was told very politely to come back another time to play again. I didn't mind, and actually kept going, no issue. But reading those situations described feels so rude.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is unthinkable to me. Everything sounds to wrong to me, like, after going downstairs to eat while your friend is in your room, then come back to the room... nice! you are full now, but what about your friend? do they leave after feeling hungry? do they ask for food? do they just straight up don't eat at all for hours and hours.... A situation like that would break my brain.

and usually I accommodate to whatever the house I'm visiting thinks its appropriate, but not eating at all just fucks with what I think would be a good stay.

I usually don't cook at my home for others because I don't trust my kitchen skills to feed others (as a single working man and all..), but you bet your ass I'll order enough food to get you full, in fact I'll let my friends chose what they want to eat and order from whatever they want.

Come over to a Latino household. Mofos will feed you a seven course meal and send you home with leftovers(but bring back the food containers because they will hunt you down for it!).
yes YES, that's exactly how we in latam behave... It's unimaginable to me to not feed the guests. and the containers MUST be returned.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If this had happened to me as a kid I'd have felt so awkward and had probably tried to find a way to leave without being noticed.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I've joined my friends family for meals as a kid and would agree it would be very weird, if not downright rude to be excluded from a meal but are people here talking about getting fed every time they visit a friend? 90% of the time when I went over a friends house, no food was involved.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If someone is spending an extended amount of time with you that covers what is usually considered a meal time, you make sure they eat if they need to.

But also, if I was spending an evening with someone and they took a break for a meal without me, I'd be out. Peace oddballs!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
That seems strange, my parents would get pizza or something easy if I had friends over for dinner. But now that I think about it, my parents refused to make breakfast(for anyone) if friends spent the night. I remember one time i just handed one of my friends some snack from the pantry. I guess one of them told their parents that they didn't have any breakfast and their parents were not thrilled. This was in elementary school

junk

Nov 1, 2017
I hope that ain't a Swedish or Dutch thing. You eating in a Filipino household tho. No choice breh.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty wild. Never really heard of this and I'm Dutch.

Although, I did have a friend where they switched around lunch and dinner (so they had their hot meal around mid day) and I was hanging around during that time I wouldn't be invited to eat with them and I'd go next door to my house. That one I found kind of understandable because be serious hassle because there would always be someone over that would have to join this weird lunch dinner.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Man. I'm telling you right now this shit just made my eye twitch. Never would have happened in my home as a kid, even in the worst times money wise. Damn sure will not happen with any of my kids friends. You're here? You're invited to the table as if you're my own.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This is definitely out of the norm in the Netherlands. Sharing and caring is the accepted norm. This would be seen as extremely rude/asocial and would definitely be called out.

I am curious what you have in mind though, so please do tell.

(Dutch guy here) and to be honest; I do remember playing at friends places (and vice versa) after school and that it wasnt automatically assumed that you would be staying over for dinner. Sure, we often got (or asked) the question if someone was eating along. Especially because some families have different dinner times (some quite early at 17:00, some eat around 20:00), it always needed to be coordinated a bit (especially so the homefront doesnt assume you'll be eating at home). I think I've called home tens of times with the question if it was okay if I stayed and ate at a friend's place.

To me it has always been a bit like, "The general assumption is you'll eat at home, UNLESS we asked you to stay over for lunch/dinner/whatever".

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It wasn't a riddle. Those places have an overwhelmingly large white population. I have been at Mexican, Black, Asian, Italian households, and most things in between, and they would have all been appalled at not offering food to a guest, whether they were a surprise or not.

I just discussed this with a lot of my family, and the answer was, if you didn't make enough food for expecting guests, then you all eat less, and scrounge up after if anyone is still hungry. Make it work, is what I keep hearing. Unless you absolutely can't afford it, you do it.

I have had a similar experience at a white household with being rude and expecting me as a child to not eat after staying the night, but I'm glad to hear the Netherlands isn't all like this.
I don't wanna pile on but I grew up in a predominantly mixed Polish, Russian and Bangladeshi hood in Brooklyn and my polish friend's mom always fed us, if we were hanging out and it was dinner time. In fact I was struck by how similar their family interactions were to ours. And poles are straight up white - this may be a Scandinavian thing or even just straight up financial issue.

But yeah being from a South Asian culture these tweets are pretty awful to read. And someone mentioned food as being this trivial thing and why it's such a big deal- again that POV id blowing my mind. Food is one of the most important things in life and in communal societies you gather around and share what you have, even if that means you eat a bit less. It's just such a different perspective that I'm reminded that we are very different and some cultural aspects can't be reconciled.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
UK here,My best friend in junior school was always fed at ours when he came to ours but when I went there which was quite a lot I don't think I was ever fed even after staying the night. My mam would never dream of not feeding anyone or at least offering.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
To maybe go into some more detail as well, I do feel like the general culture of dinner in northern Germany (and Scandinavia, apparently/perhaps) is that it's "private time". As in, family privacy. So, as a kid, you didn't want to impose on their family time.

Like, this classic very hospitable American dinner where the father casually talks to his son's friend about how he's doing and stuff... is simply not how it was for me. That kind of thing for some snack in the afternoon, sure, not uncommon. But for dinner time? No.

Furthermore, and that does apply to my case quite a bit I'd say, it's not just that you'd want to upset the other family for feeding the kid that's then no longer hungry when at home and eating their own dinner, it's that you wouldn't want to upset the other parents by feeding their kid food which they aren't happy with. Since my mom was extremely against junk food, sodas, and often even just non-whole-grain foods, she wouldn't have taken kindly if I were given such a meal. Like, in hindsight, it would've even surprise me if my mom maybe had the one or other talk specifically telling those other parents that she wouldn't want me to eat that stuff/eat there in general.

There certainly wasn't as much general respect for other families' cuisine, which does appear to be the case for many cultures. Again, something like declining an invitation to stay for dinner is/was entirely common here.

Funnily enough, my aunt from my mother's side of the family is someone who has taken some of this to the extreme, though. Their family legitimately eats fairly unhealthy (Cola, much fattier, no care for whole-grain, etc. pp.) but generally also just doesn't share anything in common that my mom or us kids liked to cook. So uh, even recently when she visited my mom a few days after her birthday, they still brought some fried chicken and stuff to heat up, lmao. I also was once in the position where I made a lovely chili con carne (I dare claim) with some white or brown basmati rice on the side, and the respective uncle got upset for me having added some rice to the plate already. He later added some ketchup, too :|

Now, that by all means is pretty rude. Though I suppose, even there we roll our eyes and shrug it off. It's silly but hardly a capital offense.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
As an Asian, this is unfathomable to me. My family, we don't even say "How are you?" to the guests when they visit. We ask "Have you eaten?" instead.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
That's hilariously dramatic. This person doesn't observe the same trivial social rituals as me, let me throw away their friendship!

People really need to travel more while they're young so they don't develop this kind of blinkered 'my way or the highway' worldview.

Starving someone is not a great foundation for a friendship, I fear. I would react the same. It's disrespectful. Not getting fed does not equal being excluded from a trivial 'social ritual', it's literal human needs being disregarded. Moreover, by acting like it's completely normal they basically confirm they don't give a shit, especially since they expect you to stick around anyways.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
That's hilariously dramatic. This person doesn't observe the same trivial social rituals as me, let me throw away their friendship!

People really need to travel more while they're young so they don't develop this kind of blinkered 'my way or the highway' worldview.

I wouldn't expect that kind of disrespect from a friend. There are billions of others on this planet who know how to extend basic courtesies and I'd rather associate with them. Fortunately, I've never met people like that IRL.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
As a Swede, this entire discourse has been quite entertaining to read, lol. I asked my parents about it, and my mom thought it probably had something to do with the way communities are built here. Smaller neighborhoods where the kids play together outside and then get called home for dinner has been pretty much the norm here for at least the last 60-70 years. Sharing dinner with your family is a private moment for most Swedes and spoiling someone elses kids appetite is a much bigger social faux pas than having them wait through you eating dinner without them. We also have a pretty big fika/afternoon snack culture so most people would be offered either some pastries or sandwiches when arriving at a friends home instead of being offered dinner later on.

I personally don't remember being sat in a friends room waiting for dinner, but I do remember it was always agreed before I even followed a friend home whether I would stay for dinner or not. Sometimes a friends parent would tell me the dish being served, to avoid any awkward "Oh, I can't eat this..." moments. I do remember once having a friend over and my mom trying to offer her dinner and my friend refusing? That was weird, but she seemed more content sitting in my room than at the table with my family.

Bottom line, this is a common idea in Sweden, but not nearly as universal or even rude as some may think. The biggest issue here are the people with different cultural norms who haven't really gotten the memo on the Swedish dinner invitation etiquette. For them these situations are obviously more traumatic and rude than to someone who understands the expectations at play. I do think that this attitude is chanign though, since this is a discussion that pops up somewhat regularly on Swedish social medias and more younger people refusing to play by the stiff Swedish social norms.

There's definitely some other underlying issues between my mother and aunt at play here. My mother is perfectly fine with spontaneously cooking for my sister in law for instance. But there's something about Swedish dinner etiquette that applies to this however.

So whether or not you're Swedish, and for the amusement of the thread at large, allow me to present a guide to Swedish Dinner Etiquette:

The golden rule of don't impose, cooperate, reciprocate applies.

1) If invited for a party/hangout/family event or similar and no mention of food is made, assume none will be served. Plan accordingly. Snacks may or may not be served but are rarely mentioned.

2) If invited with an offer of dinner, the host will assume responsibility for serving food and expect no help. Offering help will typically be appreciated but might be declined depending on the plans of the host. As a general rule, offering to help is recommended as it is seen as polite even if the offer is declined.

3) You can be invited for a cooperative dinner. This will typically be made explicit in the invitation. This can stretch from making tacos together to a more elaborate potluck. In the case of larger events, the host can take responsibility for assigning the guests dishes such as for Christmas dinner, where many small meals are served buffet style. If no assignment is made, take care to offer something substantial. There is a risk that low-balling dishes can be seen as lazy and impolite. If in doubt, ask the host what to bring.

Swedes obviously also have spontaneous dinners, like when a friend group hangs out and need to eat so either order something or cook something up, but that's outside of dinner etiquette. Expect dinner etiquette to apply the more formal the event and the less you know the people there.
Also this post is so accurate it hurts, lmao. I am always the "Will there be food there, ot should I eat before I arrive?" friend!

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
It wasn't a riddle. Those places have an overwhelmingly large white population. I have been at Mexican, Black, Asian, Italian households, and most things in between, and they would have all been appalled at not offering food to a guest, whether they were a surprise or not.

I just discussed this with a lot of my family, and the answer was, if you didn't make enough food for expecting guests, then you all eat less, and scrounge up after if anyone is still hungry. Make it work, is what I keep hearing. Unless you absolutely can't afford it, you do it.

I have had a similar experience at a white household with being rude and expecting me as a child to not eat after staying the night, but I'm glad to hear the Netherlands isn't all like this.

I grew up in Ireland, overwhelmingly white population as well, and this was never an issue. If you were at your friends place when dinner was being made you'd be asked if you wanted some, if you arrived after and wanted dinner they'd make sure you got something. I don't think I was ever at a friends where this didn't happen.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to feed your kid's friends then they need to go home before the family sits down for dinner. It boggles my mind to sit there and eat while ignoring the hungry child-guest in the house. Doesn't strike me as a cultural thing, since pretty much any culture I can think of it's the norm to treat guests well and offer hospitality. This is just an inconsiderate/rude people thing. Also this topic makes me think of a post I read where someone realized their friend's mom was racist years later, because they (kids from a minority group) were never allowed to drink from anything except the garden hose much less come inside the house but the friends who were the same race as that mom's family would be offered refreshments. Just gives me bad vibes if someone doesn't offer drinks at the least, even if I'm going to turn it down it's like thanks for caring about my comfort and meeting my physiological needs for the time I'm in your space.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
As a Swede, I can attest to this happening to me, lol.

It's rare though and only happened in my childhood. Those friends have come around by the majority of us being very hospitable and inviting.

Those also weren't the wealthiest households in my experience (neither was mine, but meh, at least I somewhat understand it).

Then there's also the opposite - People taking great care and going the extra mile to make food specifically for me (grew up in a muslim household, so pork was a no-no for a while, nothing that was forced on me though).

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
There's definitely some other underlying issues between my mother and aunt at play here. My mother is perfectly fine with spontaneously cooking for my sister in law for instance. But there's something about Swedish dinner etiquette that applies to this however.

So whether or not you're Swedish, and for the amusement of the thread at large, allow me to present a guide to Swedish Dinner Etiquette:

The golden rule of don't impose, cooperate, reciprocate applies.

1) If invited for a party/hangout/family event or similar and no mention of food is made, assume none will be served. Plan accordingly. Snacks may or may not be served but are rarely mentioned.

2) If invited with an offer of dinner, the host will assume responsibility for serving food and expect no help. Offering help will typically be appreciated but might be declined depending on the plans of the host. As a general rule, offering to help is recommended as it is seen as polite even if the offer is declined.

3) You can be invited for a cooperative dinner. This will typically be made explicit in the invitation. This can stretch from making tacos together to a more elaborate potluck. In the case of larger events, the host can take responsibility for assigning the guests dishes such as for Christmas dinner, where many small meals are served buffet style. If no assignment is made, take care to offer something substantial. There is a risk that low-balling dishes can be seen as lazy and impolite. If in doubt, ask the host what to bring.

Swedes obviously also have spontaneous dinners, like when a friend group hangs out and need to eat so either order something or cook something up, but that's outside of dinner etiquette. Expect dinner etiquette to apply the more formal the event and the less you know the people there.

As a Swede, this entire discourse has been quite entertaining to read, lol. I asked my parents about it, and my mom thought it probably had something to do with the way communities are built here. Smaller neighborhoods where the kids play together outside and then get called home for dinner has been pretty much the norm here for at least the last 60-70 years. Sharing dinner with your family is a private moment for most Swedes and spoiling someone elses kids appetite is a much bigger social faux pas than having them wait through you eating dinner without them. We also have a pretty big fika/afternoon snack culture so most people would be offered either some pastries or sandwiches when arriving at a friends home instead of being offered dinner later on.

I personally don't remember being sat in a friends room waiting for dinner, but I do remember it was always agreed before I even followed a friend home whether I would stay for dinner or not. Sometimes a friends parent would tell me the dish being served, to avoid any awkward "Oh, I can't eat this..." moments. I do remember once having a friend over and my mom trying to offer her dinner and my friend refusing? That was weird, but she seemed more content sitting in my room than at the table with my family.

Bottom line, this is a common idea in Sweden, but not nearly as universal or even rude as some may think. The biggest issue here are the people with different cultural norms who haven't really gotten the memo on the Swedish dinner invitation etiquette. For them these situations are obviously more traumatic and rude than to someone who understands the expectations at play. I do think that this attitude is chanign though, since this is a discussion that pops up somewhat regularly on Swedish social medias and more younger people refusing to play by the stiff Swedish social norms.

This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing. This discussion really needs that cultural perspective since it's dramatically at odds with hospitality cultures in most of the world.

Where I'm from, being a "good host" comes with a lot of deeply engrained cultural values. That means guests will be provided the best food and drinks, and hosts will keep giving you more until you specifically refuse (and insist). Spontaneous hospitality is the norm and homes always welcome surprise guests. Plus a war breaks out over who gets to pay every time we go to a restaurant.

This worldview, which is similar to many other parts of the world, naturally sees anyone who doesn't do these things as a "bad host" and assign specific negative personality traits to it.

Understanding the local perspective probably the most important step in breaking away from that narrow, judgemental way of thinking.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing. This discussion really needs that cultural perspective since it's dramatically at odds with hospitality cultures in most of the world.

Where I'm from, being a "good host" comes with a lot of deeply engrained cultural values. That means guests will be provided the best food and drinks, and hosts will keep giving you more until you specifically refuse (and insist). Spontaneous hospitality is the norm and homes always welcome surprise guests. Plus a war breaks out over who gets to pay every time we go to a restaurant.

This worldview, which is similar to many other parts of the world, naturally sees anyone who doesn't do these things as a "bad host" and assign specific negative personality traits to it.

Understanding the local perspective probably the most important step in breaking away from that narrow, judgemental way of thinking.

Yeah, I've learned some things from this thread too just by seeing how strongly people from other cultures react.

And it did stick with me what someone mentioned about not just being a good host but also a good guest. I think Swedish culture might put more emphasis on the guest than many others. At the same time, I think we might also have a different definition of host: you don't automatically become a full-blown host just by having someone in your house. You typically have to invite someone first before formal host responsibilities kick in and even then social expectations depend on what exactly you're hosting.

And a final thought: it is well known that Swedish society is extremely individualistic on a global perspective. This is a trade-off, not an automatic negative. You're given a lot of leeway for living how you want and not having to fit into collectivistic norms. This might have contributed to LGBTQ-rights getting an early foothold for instance. Even the extensive Swedish welfare state is in essence focused on ensuring that each individual has a chance to live independently as they choose without having to rely on the charity or social obligations of others.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think I've experienced something as extreme as having to sit out a meal, which sounds insane, but in The Netherlands the proclamation "we're having dinner" most of the time means "GTFO, respectfully". There's a fun (English subtitled) video on the subject of Dutch hospitality from the excellent Learn Dutch with Bart de Pauw youtube channel:

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
If you don't want to feed your kid's friends then they need to go home before the family sits down for dinner. It boggles my mind to sit there and eat while ignoring the hungry child-guest in the house. Doesn't strike me as a cultural thing, since pretty much any culture I can think of it's the norm to treat guests well and offer hospitality. This is just an inconsiderate/rude people thing. Also this topic makes me think of a post I read where someone realized their friend's mom was racist years later, because they (kids from a minority group) were never allowed to drink from anything except the garden hose much less come inside the house but the friends who were the same race as that mom's family would be offered refreshments. Just gives me bad vibes if someone doesn't offer drinks at the least, even if I'm going to turn it down it's like thanks for caring about my comfort and meeting my physiological needs for the time I'm in your space.
Assumption is that the person will have his dinner with his own family. It is bigger breach of etiquette to spoil the appetite for the kid because then he won't participate dinner with his family.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Here in Norway, I don't recognize any of the situations in the OP at all. If you have a visiting kid during mealtime, then they would have been invited to eat together. And a sleepover would naturally entail food. The only exception is if the visitor has already eaten dinner and the dinner of the host running late. Then the visiting kid would be left in another room while the host kid was quickly scarfing down their meal to join their friend. Where there is some truth, is that the dominating social custom is for children to go home to eat with their family, or to visit after you both have eaten dinner. I was more often than not invited for dinner when visiting close to dinner time, but generally I would return home by then.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who if you even knock at the door I'll be asking if I can get you some tea or coffee, maybe some biscuits, or maybe I should order some food (since I don't usually cook), this is... unthinkable to me.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My mum actually had a codephrase for when this happened. "FHB" which stands for "Family Hold Back".

It basically meant "I didn't expect this person to be staying for dinner so I didn't make enough food and I don't want it to get awkward. Family members only take a little bit so there is enough for the guest and I'll make more food later after they go home".

Edit: lol I just googled it. Turns out it wasn't just my family. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FHB&amp=true

LOL amazing. I'm surprised this is enough of a common problem for people that there's actually a saying/acronym.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
this thread and internet is continuing to show its ass that some people don't understand or respect cultural differences, and saying it's dumb/weird/wrong/etc

in most northern Europe, or practically most Germanic countries, dinner/main meal is considered a private family affair. If you are not invited specifically for that, then it's rude to intrude. Again, this is why especially as kids here in Germany too, it was a signal to go home and also eat with your own family. This is extremely common in particularly towns

what may be rude to you may be rude in the opposite way to other cultures

people acting like you can't get drink/snacks if you are someone's house lol, we talking about the meal

this is the same level of rudeness like showing up at someone's house uninvited and expecting to be let in and catered to. that is how main meal/dinner time is considered irrespective if you are there unless you were specifically invited for that meal beforehand.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
As an American, the initial response I had was one of incredulity. But having the Swedes explain (kids would normally go home to eat) makes sense to a point—but that kind of cultural universality, that every kid goes home to eat with their family, just isn't reality here. Plenty of kids go hungry or families eat separately, so there isn't an expectation that kids will go home to eat, at least here.

I visited some friends who were doing the peace corps in Macedonia (I guess northern Macedonia now?) and we had the opposite problem—people showing up randomly during meals and expecting to be fed after we had already made food (in portions for three people, not five or six) and this struck me as super rude even though it was the custom there.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
OK, thank you. I thought I was taking crazy pills when dude lumped in Italians as 'non-white'. Just because they were treated poorly as immigrants in America - same as Irish - doesn't magically make them non-white.
Well, as an Italian, it really depends on your definition of "whiteness".... If you consider the effects of migration of just the last 1 and half century, then it's true most of the population today shares the same "genetic" heritage.
If you go further back in history the "indigenous" italian population has invaded or has been invaded by people from pretty much any ethnicity both from northern europe, spain, north africa and the middle east.
Take Sicily, just in the middle ages has been conquered and taken under control from both the Normans and Arabs...so in today's population (and including those who migrated to US in early 1900) you can find both Norman's and Arab's traits. So they weren't completely wrong to say italian immigrants could have looked sighly different from the prevalence of the population at the time.
Any kind ethnicity group distinction is kind of fucked up to begin with here, thankfully for the best.