• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
These games could have been a bust, like XY. Pokémon games are the type of games that you revisit over the years, but XY were so bad and devoid of story and gameplay that they are not worth replaying.

These expansion passes are the saving grace for Sword and Shield, because they would've collected dust in our collections otherwise.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While the expansion pass is better they still are charging double if you want it for both versions and the likelyhood of them fixing the core game is even less so.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for it as well and after completing my Pokedex I'm now fully on board with this DLC approach.

I would NOT want to replay the entire game again in an updated or Ultra version so this is welcome.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The fact that those without the Expansion Pass have the ability to be traded or transfer Pokémon added with it, and even have the ability to join in Max Raid Battles exclusive to the Expansion Pass is just perfection and a brilliant way to do it. No segmenting the userbase or anything. It's incredibly pro-user, despite what some may claim.

I guess it's such a departure from the third game entry model that it may take some time for people to get accustomed to the idea.

It kind of reminds me of when Fairy Type Pokemon were introduced. A lot of people were unhappy of how drastically it changed certain Pokemon.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine going through the Hop cutscenes for another 20 hours just to play the new content at the end?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
While I, at first, wasn't too happy with the announcements I'll agree that this is better the. A third version (or Ultra games).

However! There are still glaring issues with Sw&Sh.

Game felt too short, no dungeons, many performance issues and many of the old pokemon seemingly had old models imported (the new ones defo had better animations).

And the removalof the GTS is such a weird step back.

I enjoyed my time with Sw&Sh but it really felt like a quirky indie game more then a game made by experienced devs working on a 20y old franchise.

Jan 10, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling, history of related infractions
While the expansion pass is better they still are charging double if you want it for both versions and the likelyhood of them fixing the core game is even less so.

The day I understand why you troughout threads out yourself as someone who loathes Pokemon but still NEEDS both versions, might be the day I stop countertrolling you.

Wouldn't hold my breath however.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Saying the base game was light on content will forever be wild to me. I spent 120 hours on it before running out of things to do that don't fall on online.

Nov 17, 2017
Is it really what the series needs though?

It's good, don't get me wrong, but to me, it only feels good because it's better in comparison to the crap they were doing before. Of course if you do something bad long enough that it becomes normal, then normal itself becomes good.

I think Pokemon needs to mix things up, inject some fresh ideas, have more of a bite to it and more time in the oven. It needs to be more fleshed out and polished.

It's definitely a good thing and better than a third version. But I wouldn't say it's what the series needs. What it needs is a good 5 years off to really build an excellent, polished game.
Maybe not 5 years but they definitely need to put more time than usual into the next gen. It really depends on if the media cycle they have going will allow Game Freak to do that.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I agree that it's a better choice than releasing a "complete" version a year later, but what the series needs is more development time. There's just too much stuff to do now for each new generation and they can't keep the same pace they've had until now. I loved Sword and Shield, but it's very obvious they had to cut some corners here and there to finish it in time.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this:

I certainly wouldn't have been interested in buying a hypothetical "third version" of these games, but the expansion pass? I'm all over it. It's cheaper than a new game would be, and it's building on what I've already done in my game vs making me start from scratch.

This being said (and has been said already by others) - more content in the respect that the expansion pass is bringing isn't really what the series needs. I will say, the fact that the new areas of the Pass are all open world - now that's an exciting direction, to me.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Expansion pass is an incredible improvement over the third version. Not only from a price standpoint, but a player experience as well: You get to dive straight into the new content instead of just retreading the same game until you get to the good stuff.

But the expansion pass isn't going to win me over as someone who skipped Sword and Shield.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
season pass is good now bc it's pokemon doing it lol. oh and bc they used to charge $40 for a new game but now it's $30 for dlc so it's also better. nintendo & gf will never fix this series lol

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
season pass is good now bc it's pokemon doing it lol. oh and bc they used to charge $40 for a new game but now it's $30 for dlc so it's also better. nintendo & gf will never fix this series lol
I mean, it is better. It remains to be seen how actually substantial the new content is, but dropping the third version nonsense while keeping the expansions they bring is a good thing.

And I say this as someone who skipped Sword and Shield and isn't planning on coming back for this DLC.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
This is my son and I second Pokémon (played Let's Go last year) and I'm glad we're getting an expansion and not a third release, simply because I wouldn't have bought another standalone game. New games are just too expansive. This DLC (while not cheap) is the best scenario for us and I'm glad this is what we're getting. We're hyped.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the expansion pass is the single best move Game Freak has done in a very, very long time. At least on paper. We'll have to see how much content it has, especially after the main game was so lacking.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Compared to bad cases and previous Pokemon practices, this Pokemon dlc is not so bad.

Comparing to DLCs done well, it is bad. They are still doing exclusive non-transferable content for each version.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, its not going to be enough to save this Gen for me unless it ups the difficulty and provides other gameplay changes, which I HIGHLY doubt.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's absolutely better than buying a 3rd version, I never touch those. Now the only question is if said expansions are actually worth the price.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Compared to bad cases and previous Pokemon practices, this Pokemon dlc is not so bad.

Comparing to DLCs done well, it is bad. They are still doing exclusive non-transferable content for each version.
I mean they're not, unless you're counting characters being interchangeable in the story for eachother as "non-transferable" when they're irrelevant.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I mean they're not, unless you're counting characters being interchangeable in the story for eachother as "non-transferable" when they're irrelevant.
But they are. Is locking away rivals good now? Should we champion them for locking away NPCs be them irrelevant or not? Like, couldn't they write the story including them both? It was their option to write them as "irrelevant" and lock them behind specific expansion versions.

I know we can compare it with meaningful exclusive lore related stuff previous Pokemon games did, but that goes as I said first, in a shorter version, "not as bad as previous Pokemon games, but it is still bad".