• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
r6ZimEn.jpg

fMiYHab.jpg

zywsioN.jpg

lpOphPm.jpg

But yes, they showed it.
This isn't new footage. They've talked about it before on at least one occasion.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to point out the wording Tim uses, "bring these games to new audiences".

And the follow-up tweet:

I think that it's obvious there's more than just the first Crysis in the works, so I'm feeling good for Warhead, even if it will end up a separate release.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warhead was quite a bit smaller though, i'd say about half the game Crysis 1 is. I'd rather have it included, or perhaps its cheaper? Or he's talking about a possible 2 and 3. Though Warhead was really good.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am really exited to once again play through Crysis. Played it so many times on Delta. Honestly I don't think the alien part is too bad, but I see why some hated it.

Maybe the game finally gets the widespread appeal it deservers. IMO it still trumps the majority of modern shooters. PC's today should be better suited for CryEngine 5.

Jun 18, 2018
I don't think the game is even gonna look like the CryEngine 3 version. all 4 versions here will be based on the same starting point so starting from the raw assets imported into CryEngine 5 makes the most sense. unlike all the other switch versions which were based on original versions and not the remasters, this is done by the same team doing the remaster

I don't think it will look like them - the move to PBR alone is going to be quite a big change. But when it comes to the shader FX listed in the post I quoted, I think it's a fair starting point considering the Switch's grunt over the previous gen consoles.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crysis: Warhead was an excellent game. Better than Crysis 2 and 3.

Just use this new engine and give me Crysis 4 even if it is a smaller game. I just want more of the setting, visual style and gameplay from Crysis 1 and Warhead.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping we'd get a pack of Crysis 1, 2, and 3 for $60 USD. So I'm disappointed this is only the first game. Do we have a price yet?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Going back and playing the original now. Say what you want, but it's still a looker. It does have a certain look and feel that I think was lost in the console versions (not a fan of the color tint and harsh contrast). I hope the remaster can keep that same overall feel, just ramp up the realism and effects. And yes, I do want to have to turn things down to get it to run well on my now-aging GTX1080.. it's frikkin' Crysis, after all.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, exactly the same game but reaching high FPS due to multi core utilization would be worth $60 for me. Imagine 144fps Crysis! :O

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Recent relizations of more than one campaign reminds me of the one Hot Fuzz ice cream scene:

"Crysis Remastered will focus on the original game's single-player campaigns and..."

"I always loved Crysis games, and it's exciting to work with Crytek to bring these games to new audiences."

Loop three times-
Saber interactive CCO: "I always loved Crysis games, and it's exciting to work with Crytek to bring these games to new audiences."
Resetera Crysis fans: "Crysis 1 remastered!"

Break loop

Certain Resetera users eyes widen as they come to a realization.

Certain Resetera users: Back to the thread!

And I can't think of a witty comment to match Hot Fuzz. But to go from one to potentially two remastered campaigns is exciting.

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit they're releasing this on Switch the absolute madmen

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so I just redownload Crysis on PS3... It has not aged well graphically.. can definitely see the places their RT would look amazing though. Really wish it was a Crysis Trilogy though. 2 is my favorite... that intro is still amazing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't use the console version default speed and sprint, it's like molasses and the flash.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, so I just redownload Crysis on PS3... It has not aged well graphically.. can definitely see the places their RT would look amazing though. Really wish it was a Crysis Trilogy though. 2 is my favorite... that intro is still amazing.
Yeah 2 is obviously more linear, but it's still great. I've been playing the 360 version of Crysis 3 via BC, and it's by far the weakest of the three games, but I think 1/2 both offer something of interest.

Oct 27, 2017
1 was fantastic but 2 in my opinion felt like I was playing an action summer blockbuster movie. It was fucking great. 3 was a major let down but I would be happy to give it another chance.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 2 is obviously more linear, but it's still great. I've been playing the 360 version of Crysis 3 via BC, and it's by far the weakest of the three games, but I think 1/2 both offer something of interest.
Honestly.. I've played 1 three times... I played 2 maybe 10 times.. I've played 3... once.. yet I can't remember much about it. Seemed the weakest of the three.I think we need a Crysis 4 on next gen consoles for sure though.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefered Crysis 1 vastly over 2. The gameplay was just far more open ended and allowed so many different ways to approach problems.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I can already guess at what levels in Crysis 1 these are from. The assets look totally different but if you've played Crysis 1 enough you can see how they're supposed to fit in that game.
I am just really hoping that this is what crytek means with the remaster when they say "new textures". :D New assets meaning new textures.
0% chance the game actually looks like this.

I would love to be wrong but this is a remaster, and while the footage they've shown some time ago looks more like a complete remake.
Who knows man, Modern Warfare Remastered basically did the same thing -- it replaced all the art assets but played the same, being just as a much of a "remake" as Shadow of the Colossus or Halo Anniversary.

At this point my most ideal hope is that this is sort of like Modern Warfare Remastered. If that happens, I wonder how the Switch version comes out looking if it uses the new art assets.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
trugc said:

From reading the descriptions, it seems that the water reflections are mostly cube-maps. This remaster will definitely have improvements over what was shown in the initial tech demo just with RT reflections alone.

I do hope Crysis 1 keeps the large amount of physics interactions, including wind, intact in the remaster (or even amp it up). I'll definitely feel disappointed if foliage doesn't interact with my character, and gun fire in general.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017

You will be most likely disappointed if you expect these visuals from Crysis Remastered. There is a reason they call it "Remaster" and not "Remake". A remaster is the exact same game (levels, geometry, gameplay mechanics, etc) but comes with some visual improvements (like textures and graphics effects). A remake is what these links showcase (a level that has been completely remade/rebuilt in a new engine).

Crytek will most likely port the levels from the original game (not remake them) to CRYENGINE V, add the advertised graphics effects (SVOGI, Ray Tracing, HD textures, etc) and that will be it. Still, it will be interesting to see what version they'll port. If they port the original PC version, we'll have the more tactical nanosuit and the VTOL missions. If they port the console version, we'll have a Crysis 2-like nanosuit and no VTOL missions.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
You will be most likely disappointed if you expect these visuals from Crysis Remastered. There is a reason they call it "Remaster" and not "Remake". A remaster is the exact same game (levels, geometry, gameplay mechanics, etc) but comes with some visual improvements (like textures and graphics effects). A remake is what these links showcase (a level that has been completely remade/rebuilt in a new engine).

Crytek will most likely port the levels from the original game (not remake them) to CRYENGINE V, add the advertised graphics effects (SVOGI, Ray Tracing, HD textures, etc) and that will be it. Still, it will be interesting to see what version they'll port. If they port the original PC version, we'll have the more tactical nanosuit and the VTOL missions. If they port the console version, we'll have a Crysis 2-like nanosuit and no VTOL missions.

Unless the environment and suit shown in the teaser were bespoke, the visuals and assets shown definitely mirror what was in the CryEngine 5.6 trailer.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the idea behind this Remaster is a real attempt at reviving the franchise and not just a quick cashgrab.

If they really are attempting to move the franchise forward they really should aim to fix the issues the games had but also ensure that as many people are enticed to give the games a chance.

That means setting an attractive price point for each game, or alternatively, a nice package with multiple games for a fair price.

Lets get people new to franchise on board so we can get a Crysis 4 eventually!

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

The most likely scenario would be porting over the CE3 version to the latest iteration of CE 5.6. It might not look exactly like in those engine demo levels because they are created in isolation not as part of the game with AI and game logic and physics intact but it should come close to that level of fidelity. Even with all the listed upgrades in the press release, we can expect a next gen ready version on PC.

I believe the Switch might just get the more straightforward, slightly more refined PS3/Xbox 360 port.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I hope the idea behind this Remaster is a real attempt at reviving the franchise and not just a quick cashgrab.

If they really are attempting to move the franchise forward they really should aim to fix the issues the games had but also ensure that as many people are enticed to give the games a chance.

That means setting an attractive price point for each game, or alternatively, a nice package with multiple games for a fair price.

Lets get people new to franchise on board so we can get a Crysis 4 eventually!

F2P, 5v5 shooter, buy skins and loot boxes.

MAXIMUM LOOT.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
This will be the game that will push me to upgrade to a ray tracing card, probably the GTX 3080 by the time it is out, just like the original game pushed me to get a 8800GTX all those years ago.
This was the best news I've had all week. Genuine smile when I saw this.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That depends on who you ask. Activision disagrees. They call their games remasters even if they use completely new assets and engines. Modern Warfare remastered uses completely new assets. They market Crash Bandicoot trilogy as a remaster even though it's completely remade on a new engine.

We won't know what Crytek mean by "remaster" until we see actual footage.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really wish we had more info. I want a Crysis 2 Remaster as well, my favourite of the 3 (don't even remember 3 except some cool sections with long grass).

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
2 and 3 were fun for me but forgettable.
Crysis 1 and Warhead on the other hand, man I playeded these two from start to finish multiple times, and still can recall all the levels and fun I had.
I hope if they make a Crysis 4 in the future it will be more like the original 1 and warhead.