• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what I was hoping for when it came to #1000 but this is pretty dang cool.

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
Hell yes. I'm already a Criterion Channel subscriber and you can watch most of these on there, but I think I'll get this. Hoping they'll include Japanese language tracks - they're not always there on the channel. (will this King Kong vs. Godzilla include the Japanese version?)
In the bonus features the Japanese version is listed.
Fantastic.

Every movie included
OP
OP
MetroidPrimeRib
Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla, 1954
Godzilla Raids Again, 1955
King Kong vs Godzilla, 1963
Mothra vs Godzilla, 1964
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, 1964
Invasion of Astro Monster, 1965
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, 1966
Son of Godzilla, 1967
Destroy All Monsters, 1968
All Monsters Attack, 1969
Godzilla vs Hedorah, 1971
Godzilla vs Gigan, 1972
Godzilla vs Megalon, 1973
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, 1974
Terror of Mechagodzilla, 1975

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Will this be a limited thing? Like are there only going to be so many made of this edition? Might consider it if its still available come Christmas time.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be a limited thing? Like are there only going to be so many made of this edition? Might consider it if its still available come Christmas time.
No, it's around until their license expires in whatever future year that is. Best time to buy it will be Barnes and Nobles' November Criterion half price sale.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the original (and in fact have that release) but I have to say I'm surprised by this. These don't really seem like Criterion worthy movies. I rarely ever by a Critierion movie so am not upset or anything silly like that, just a bit surprised. My understanding is that getting a bunch of these movies in modern formats has been rather tricky so I'm glad you fans will have a great collection of some of them finally.

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
I'll preorder as soon as I know everything has a Japanese language track. If this is too expensive to you, the Criterion Channel puts all their special features online, I think. (US only, probably)

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I can understand the original (and in fact have that release) but I have to say I'm surprised by this. These don't really seem like Criterion worthy movies. I rarely ever by a Critierion movie so am not upset or anything silly like that, just a bit surprised. My understanding is that getting a bunch of these movies in modern formats has been rather tricky so I'm glad you fans will have a great collection of some of them finally.

Criterion has a longstanding practice of balancing more carefully curated "art film" releases with more mainstream releases that will actually shift copies and keep the company alive.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Criterion has a longstanding practice of balancing more carefully curated "art film" releases with more mainstream releases that will actually shift copies and keep the company alive.

Ah, okay. I remember they did that for The Rock and Armageddon back on DVD but didn't know it was something they do every now and then.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
It's Beautiful!

They even managed to make Son of Godzilla's art great. I wouldn't complain if they left the actual movie out though....

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

The films are foreign and classic. As a film snob, I definitely think this box set definitely checks enough boxes to deserve a Criterion release.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Ah, okay. I remember they did that for The Rock and Armageddon back on DVD but didn't know it was something they do every now and then.
They released The Princess Bride and Breakfast Club in the past few years, lol.

I echo the sentiment that some of these are questionable choices, but hey, Godzilla fans will be happy.

Maybe I'll be getting just the original film.
That's already out.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
It's tragic they didn't include the dub for Godzilla vs Gigan, it's hilariously terrible. One of my favorites. Keeping my previous blu-ray of that one, I guess. Also, hang on to your Classic Media DVDs if you have them, as the English language versions of the films aren't included here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, outside of KotM'56 and KKvG they are only including the international dubs for Invasion of the Astro Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Ebirah, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah are sub only.

That really sucks.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Not super familiar with Criterion. I was about to hit buy on this...but are there ways for me to really get this for a lot cheaper if I wait a bit?

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm incredibly tempted, solely for the packaging. The artwork is really fun, and that book makes it all the more tempting.

Not super familiar with Criterion. I was about to hit buy on this...but are there ways for me to really get this for a lot cheaper if I wait a bit?
Criterion tends to have 50% off sales through their site and Barnes and Noble, but it's typically comparable to an amazon price.

I wouldn't expect a larger collection like this to have a meaningful sale in the near future, though. Others might be able to speak more to it, but that's my experience/understanding.

The quality of their transfers is always impressive, and their extras have been phenomenal, in my past purchases.