• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would win with both at peak strength and mental condition?

• Cap for sure

Votes: 217 29.0%
  • Tony Stark has this in the bag.

Votes: 530 71.0%

• Total voters

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can watch the Thanos vs. Iron Man fight and come away thinking that Iron Man wouldn't turn Cap into quivering jelly.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Virgin Steve:

tumblr_inline_pdabkawZEL1rzrwsn_500.gif

Chad Tony:

tumblr_pbnltlUEt91v1qzojo1_540.gif

This.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe anyone is voting against Cap? He literally trashes Iron Man in Civil War.
I think we watched different fights. Tony had his suit study Cap's moves mid-fight and promptly kicked his ass. He didn't want Cap dead, which is why he told him to stay down instead of blowing his head off

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the thread title as "could Captain Toad beat iron man in a fair fight mcu".

Was disappointed. Answering the question no one's asking, I'd go with Todd, unless the fight required jumping.

Else I'd say the iron man against captain america, tech over 'roids.

The real question is which of the MCU can survive the galactic beams of light Galeem brought out.

Oct 26, 2017
Even without that he would still win. The only reason he was struggling was because it was a 2v1 fight where he was trying to only incapacitate one and kill the other.
It's a shame they resorted to the computer crap, even when it got down to a 1v1. It really killed that fight for me. I know it's a lame word, but that moment really was just...lame.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Off topic but Stark drawing blood from infinity stoned powered Thanos was so lame and almost ruins the movie for me, nanosuit be damned. Captain Marvel should be able to rock Thanos no problem because of that crap scene.

Back on topic odds favor Iron Man but if Cap gets an opening/lucky strike it could get interesting.

Was actually one of the best scenes in the whole movie.

Iron Man had prepared for Thanos for 6yrs, threw everything he had left at Thanos, and still only drew a drop of blood. This was Stark living out his worst nightmare in front of audiences.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pre serum Steve against no suit Tony will be a fair fight... and hilarious to watch.

Steve wins.

No suit Tony has enough self defense training to not get immediately assassinated by Bucky and Home Alone a bunch of terrorists. Pre-serum Steve got beat up by some random asshole
5796305-bucky+tries+to+shoot+tony.gif

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does Tony get the nod with the whole "lol be wasn't trying to kill Steve" argument yet the same people say "he held his own against Thanos."

Y'all are crazy, Thanos was playing with him like a child's toy. Maxed out, Tony was still beaten.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No suit Tony has enough self defense training to not get immediately assassinated by Bucky and Home Alone a bunch of terrorists. Pre-serum Steve got beat up by some random asshole
5796305-bucky+tries+to+shoot+tony.gif

Nevermind that Tony has been fighting as Iron Man for years at the point of CW lmao

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I think we watched different fights. Tony had his suit study Cap's moves mid-fight and promptly kicked his ass. He didn't want Cap dead, which is why he told him to stay down instead of blowing his head off
And then Cap got up and beat up Tony, and smashed up his suit. I've been quoted a million times in this thread now, but i don't think it's as clear cut Iron Man as you would think.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Beating him in hand-to-hand is kind of sketchy. Cap has better form, better training, he's probably also powered by steel determination... but he's a peak performance human. Tony's weakest armor could catch a car thrown at him and gently land it on the ground. Tony can punch through concrete and take a tank shell to his chest. He gets depowered when fighting Cap because of Steve's own plot armor.

Steve isn't the peak human condition, he has superhuman strength.

As others have mentioned, depends on the suit.

The Iron Man 3 suits were apparently made of Legos and glue sticks.

It makes a little sense in that he designed all of those suits to assemble and disassemble themselves on the fly at any given moment so in-turn they wouldn't be as structurally solid as his previous suits.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Steve was doing the same. He was buying time for Bucky to escape. It's also why he buries the shield in the reactor instead of through Tony's neck.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
No one can make me believe that the Iron Man that went up against Thanos would get beaten by Captain America. That is ridiculous.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Tony's nanomachines are straight up busted, and he's probably gonna get hit another level of bullshit for Endgame.

Steve doesn't want that smoke. Don't do him like that.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How does Tony get the nod with the whole "lol be wasn't trying to kill Steve" argument yet the same people say "he held his own against Thanos."

Y'all are crazy, Thanos was playing with him like a child's toy. Maxed out, Tony was still beaten.

Because if you replace Tony with Steve in that fight, Steve dies instantly.

Alienous said:
He can't reform the arc reactor. As soon as that's broken the rest of the nanomachine suit would fall off of him like breadcrumbs.

The arc reactor doesn't exist until it is formed by the nanomachines. As he tells pepper, the thing on his chest is just a housing unit.

This means it's just as replaceable as the rest of his armor components

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Thanos has to somewhat try against Tony, knows him by name, and talks about how much he respects him after the fight is over.

Thanos stands limply in front of Cap, fascinated by what he's trying to do to his hand, and then smiles and ends the fight with one simple punch.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's a shame that the movies never really sell Captain America being the best hand-to-hand fighter in the world, which was pretty unequivocal in the comics. He's supposed to be Batman-tier.

The duel with Batroc on the tanker at the beginning of Winter Soldier is completely hand-to-hand, I think. The actor who played Batroc is a renowned Québécois Mixed Martial Arts champion. The entire tanker raid is a showcase for Steve as the ultimate supersoldier.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Cap would beat Avengers 1 era Stark because Stark's suits at that point where still bulky, and the arc reactor was a giant glaring weakness for Stark because not only was it the source of the suits power but it was also actively keeping Tony alive. After Tony got the shrapnel out of him the arc reactor still remains a weakness but less of one, and Stark's suit tech seems to make massive jumps after he original purpose of the arc reactor is gone.

Oct 25, 2017
Tony because his nano tech iron man suit is basically magic. He can make it do whatever he wants. What is cap gonna do if he just flies up and bombards Cap with shit from the sky?

Also Tony could just grab cap, fly up high and drop him from the stratosphere.

Apr 16, 2018
Why are people using Tony's fight against Thanos as evidence?

They were fighting fighting on a planet with wonky gravity, affected by Thanos' manipulation of reality, Tony had a team of heroes including the sorcerer supreme, and he STILL got ragdolled.

He was toying with them that entire fight, same thing he did with the Heroes on Earth. Only difference is they fought an entire war first before they fought Thanos.

I still think Iron Man has a better chance to win, but his "feats" against Thanos are near irrelevant. He could have instantly killed them all if he wanted to.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
No shield for cap and no flying,lasers,rockets,nano shit for tony.
Just mano a mano,that's the only fair scenario i can think of.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Tony wasn't trying to kill Steve, just Bucky and the only reason Steve won on the end was 2v1 and existing dmg

And Tony was right in Civil War
And Steve wasn't trying to kill Tony either? But he beat him to the point of destroying his suit - and could've just decapitated him right there. Bucky also bows out of that fight quite early, after his arm gets blown off.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And then Cap got up and beat up Tony, and smashed up his suit. I've been quoted a million times in this thread now, but i don't think it's as clear cut Iron Man as you would think.
And Steve wasn't trying to kill Tony either? But he beat him to the point of destroying his suit - and could've just decapitated him right there. Bucky also bows out of that fight quite early, after his arm gets blown off.
Again, Tony could've killed him multiple times before then

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Lol iron man 1 with the first arc reacter being used and Tony still bodies Cap. Come on, it's not even fair.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Uh... You mean the part where the seemingly unconscious Bucky grabbed Tony's leg and gave Cap the chance to make a comeback? That allowed Cap to attack Tony from behind. It doesn't speak to Cap's actual ability.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people using Tony's fight against Thanos as evidence?

They were fighting fighting on a planet with wonky gravity, affected by Thanos' manipulation of reality, Tony had a team of heroes including the sorcerer supreme, and he STILL got ragdolled.

He was toying with them that entire fight, same thing he did with the Heroes on Earth. Only difference is they fought an entire war first before they fought Thanos.

I still think Iron Man has a better chance to win, but his "feats" against Thanos are near irrelevant. He could have instantly killed them all if he wanted to.

When they truly go one on one, while Thanos is clearly in another class, Tony is able to successfully block several of Thanos' attacks including a stone-powered energy blast, and is able to cause Thanos' body to fly through the air multiple times. Thanos wails on Tony with his fists multiple times and Tony still gets up and continues the attack.

In fact at about 1:13 in this clip, Tony blocks a backhand by Thanos' gauntlet hand.

Going by what we see of Cap's encounter with Thanos, that backhand would have ended him then and there.

How does this compare to the "fight" between Thanos and Cap? Cap does absolutely nothing, can't even move Thanos' limp hand, and is absolutely finished after one single punch.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could Howard the Duck take on Thanos in a fair fight?

The answer is yes, if the story lets him.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
Did Steve make Thanos bleed?

The only two who so much as scratched Thanos were Thor and Iron Man.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man beat Hulk in the MCU. Captain America is a no thought if Tony actually wants to get it done.