• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
GOTY Season really brings out extra salt on ERA, people always get so salty when their favorite and most loved title didn't win and just need jab in why X didn't deserve the win.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
not so sure it's my game of the year (tho i loved it), but if this gets more people to check it out, hell yeah, i'm very happy. because it is a great, imaginative game that's well worth experiencing. congrats to remedy...

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound snide, but did Control really need to be a shooter?
Its sounds like the thing people liked the most were the world, the setting, the characters and the exploration.
The shooting part almost sounds extraneous .
I love everything about this game, I'm a huge sucker for Remedy's style of lore, and the combat still manages to be the best part.

Absolutely can't agree with this.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its sounds like the thing people liked the most were the world, the setting, the characters and the exploration.
oh it absolutely did. it has some of the best combat in recent memory. it's like a throwback to classic shooter design with a modern twist. so, so good. the world building was just icing on the cake. absolutely the best game this year

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't there dlc still yet to come? They can release a real Game of the Year edition now :o

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is one of if not the best part of the game, especially once you unlock more abilities, it looks, controls and feels pretty awesome to play.

pW4UYjy.gif

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Is it in a decent state on base PS4 now? I was really interested in it but everything I've heard about its perfomance at launch put me off.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is one of if not the best part of the game, especially once you unlock more abilities, it looks, controls and feels pretty awesome to play.

pW4UYjy.gif
The ground pound in this game is bonkers, it's less of a ground pound and more of a "Fuck everything in this area in particular" + Insane mobility tool. And yeah, I totally agree.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying this right now, and its gameplay loop is addictive as hell. Hard to find fault, even if I did think RE2 is the most deserving title this year given how it brought an older game into the modern era so well.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I think Control might actually be the front runner to win at The Game Awards.

Would be wild that a game most didn't even think would get nominated is going to win.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Phenomenal game, absolutely deserving. It does push current generation hardware rather harder than it's capable of keeping up with, but the chaos and lighting effects are sublime. I can't wait to see if they update it for next-generation consoles, and what they have in mind next!

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved.

Initial performance issues on PC aside.. Control is an amazing title.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Everything considered, it definitely was the best new game of the year. RE2 is great, definitely, but completely fresh experiences always have the edge for me.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A great game that deserves it. I had a wonderful time with it. I felt like this title would go under the radar for almost winning everything. Good stuff Remedy.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
This shows the disconnect between the games media and people who actually purchases games. This game was a complete flop sales wise and yet all the media has been kissing it's ass. To be GOTY people need to actually play the game. If a game doesn't meet a certain sales (units) and critical criteria it shouldn't be considered.

GOTY needs to be a popularity contest? Huh?

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
So happy for the team! Fantastic game, definitely one of the best game experiences I've had this year. I still can't shake the feeling I had at the end after unlocking every ability... I honestly don't think I've ever played a game that made me feel like a god/superhero the way Control pulled it off. Also the lore and world is *chef kiss*. I could easily see myself eating up a whole tv series based on this IP.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The ground pound in this game is bonkers, it's less of a ground pound and more of a "Fuck everything in this area in particular" + Insane mobility tool. And yeah, I totally agree.

It is my least recommended ability in the game. It completely drains your energy, leaving you wide open.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the game, so congrats to Remedy. It's pretty sad that it didn't do very well in terms of sales sadly.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I know others already responded, but just wanted to be one more person to add how much I've enjoyed the combat and how much of a highlight was for me.
This shows the disconnect between the games media and people who actually purchases games. This game was a complete flop sales wise and yet all the media has been kissing it's ass. To be GOTY people need to actually play the game. If a game doesn't meet a certain sales (units) and critical criteria it shouldn't be considered.
This sure is a big one for the resetera asinine posts scrapbook.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I didn't totally think the Lynchian elements in Control worked that well but it is also a very ambitious game and I am glad this might get it more commercial notice! Good job Remedy and lol at the people saying GOTY needs to be based on sales.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
That game was so damn good, only thing stopping me from naming it my goty is that it ends just when it's supposed to actually start imo
Which means the obviously upcoming Control 2 will be my goty :)