• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
definitely day 1 since its shorter, can beat it and get some credit toward the myriad of other games coming out soon (gears, borderlands, etc)

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone of the people who are already playing, figured out how to
"get over the gap in the The Enemy Within side mission?

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My RTX 2070 Super order is ready for pickup, I got the game free with the card. Really looking forward for it

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
One concern I had was that the combat looked kind of same-y in the trailers and gameplay. Those who are playing, is there good variety in encounters and enemies? Also how are the upgrades for weapons and abilities? Substantial changes to your combat style, or just general "10% more damage"-type stuff?

Oct 25, 2017
I see. By the way how are unlock times on EGS? Different than Steam?
No idea, this is the first game I bought there. Grabbed the free games they've given, but never played any of them, so this will be my first experience with their launcher. Hopefully everything works smoothly.

One concern I had was that the combat looked kind of same-y in the trailers and gameplay. Those who are playing, is there good variety in encounters and enemies? Also how are the upgrades for weapons and abilities? Substantial changes to your combat style, or just general "10% more damage"-type stuff?
One thing I thought was interesting is that apparently the game changes the encounters in places you've already visited after you get new powers to take advantage of that, so there will be some surprises when backtracking.

EDIT: That's something I've read a while ago, though, not sure if that's still part of the final game.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017

It has some variety. I just finished writing my review. One part I'll share for those concerned.

Most games with powers tend to get lazy with late game challenge.

Traditionally most developers just start introducing enemies that are immune to your powers outright.

They avoid that in Control entirely. Instead they throw a large amount of enemy variety at you, which then force you as a player to take advantage of all the tools and powers you posses. It's awesome, and even at the 20
hour mark combat is still fun to do.

Also upgrades for your powers do have small percentage based stuff like what you described but some upgrades add new functionality to powers which really take them to another level.

Hope this answer helps!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Silent protagonists are the trend that needs to die, not the other way around.
To each his own, I hate it when characters are alone and constantly feel the need to talk, like modern Tomb Raider or Horizon, it made me actively hate the main characters. Terrible writing also didn't help. But we'll see how Control pulls it off, I have way more faith in Remedy than I do Crystal Dynamics or Guerrilla Games.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad, that's one of my most hated trends in gaming where the game can't let the game speak for itself and just has to fill the blanks with needless chatter. I hope it's not too distracting.

You are getting the wrong idea here. Nothing she says is distracting. When Jesse says something, it's mostly reactive to what you would think someone would say something about. She is not some cartoon figure yelling "BOOM BANG BANG" or "HEADSHOT WOHOOO" or something.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
You are getting the wrong idea here. Nothing she says is distracting. When Jesse says something, it's mostly reactive to what you would think someone would say something about. She is not some cartoon figure yelling "BOOM BANG BANG" or "HEADSHOT WOHOOO" or something.
Well that's good then. I've been avoiding most media for the game, so I didn't know. It's just when I start hearing things like that I get a bit anxious as most AAA games have no idea how to handle a lone character.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My Epic thing still lists the game as a 28th release.

Not that big of a deal, but seeing as there are reviewers playing on PC, it's clearly not that they needed the extra time just to get it ready.
It says 27th August for me when I visit the store. Where are you located? I am in Germany.

Store says 27th, but game in library itself says 28th.

EGS not so hot with whole game release things.

u1SFboS.png

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I was on the fence about this game but watching gameplay on Twitch has sealed it for me. Just have to decide which system to buy it for.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i just dropped the controller and let out a small scream. you got me remedy, you got me.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
To jump in this game length discussion, I have to say I strongly disagree with this "the longer the better" attitude. Indeed, I feel a lot of games today, mainly open worlds, are way longer than they have to be. They use repetitive design, quests and combat to do that and it sucks. I can finish the entire Mass Effect trilogy in the time it would take me to finish a game like AC:Odyssey. That's plain wrong. (most of the times).

Oct 25, 2017
To jump in this game length discussion, I have to say I strongly disagree with this "the longer the better" attitude. Indeed, I feel a lot of games today, mainly open worlds, are way longer than they have to be. They use repetitive design, quests and combat to do that and it sucks. I can finish the entire Mass Effect trilogy in the time it would take me to finish a game like AC:Odyssey. That's plain wrong. (most of the times).

Have to agree with this. It's funny, there's quite a few games this gen I've enjoyed the first time through when they were new and fresh and the plot or world pulling me through but then felt that hit hard when I revisit or replay. Obviously, when a game asks $60 there has to be a certain level of content there, but there's nothing wrong with a game knowing what kind of experience it wants to deliver and giving a good ten hour tight focused experience. In the same turn, there's been some cracking games this gen that go on for over 100 hours and remain exciting but by and large I don't find length indicative of value.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Kasurinen did mention that one of their goals was to have a game that would last people longer, and not something they put years and years of effort into and people blast through in a weekend.

So, while I personally wouldn't mind even if it did last me 6~7 hours, I'd say it's fair to be disappointed in it.

But that's obviously not the case, as mentioned by multiple people before, that the only way to finish it in 6 hours is to rush it like crazy and ignore every single piece of optional content.

Like, you won't even get most of your powers if you don't do any sidequests. I can't imagine a lot of people will want to do that.

I also really appreciate games that have most of their lenght in a first playthrough as the player just figuring things out, instead of a rigid structure that forces a similar playtime no matter how much you know. Dark Souls 1 took me 80 hours on my first playthrough, Sekiro took me 61. I can finish both of them in less than 2 hours now. And I LOVE this, it's an incredible feeling to see you getting better with each playthrough reflected in the time it takes you to beat the game.

So the fact that people finished it in 6 while others aren't even at the halfway point with the same amount of hours is promising.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some games are great when they're super long, like the Witcher 3. Some are not (imagine any of the Uncharted games if they were 100 hours long). It's totally fine that this game is what 10-15 hours? That's a great length. Good enough to get a solid story going without overstaying its welcome.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Looking at some streams, Control still has the lack of a cover system and blind firing, from Quantum Break. So hearing about the length is welcomed as the game won't outstay it's welcome.