• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This is... not even close to how it's always been. It has only been the case on the Wii.

You could have multiple towns on a single Gamecube by having multiple memory cards (which was an extra $20, if memory serves).
You could have multiple towns on a single DS by having multiple copies of Wild World ($30 per game).
You could have multiple towns on a single 3DS by having multiple copies of New Leaf ($40 per game).

Having a second town in New Horizons would literally cost $260 at the bare minimum (Switch Lite + second copy of the game). It's a ludicrous, needless restriction.
I didn't say exactly. Its always been a cool part of the game anyway. It does suck for those who didn't want to share.

Oct 25, 2017
Every AC game before this had all users on a cart/system in one town, why would this be any different? It's been clear for decades that this is intentional.

It's always been a pointless limitation. But I didn't know that game series should never change.

If you want to have everyone on one town, cool. You can do that, no one is stopping you. Having the option for people to have their own space does nothing to take away from your experience.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sharing an island with my wife. What are you Nintendo, Hitler?
Worse, they're capitalists. They've got units to moves.

EPkYDYeUcAEhol3

This is entrapment.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Every AC game before this had all users on a cart/system in one town, why would this be any different? It's been clear for decades that this is intentional.

I am imagine there was uncertainty since the Switch will be the first Nintendo platform with a mainline Animal Crossing game to feature system-level user profiles. The GameCube, DS, Wii, and 3DS all used different save data based upon which memory card or cartridge was inserted.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Listen, I get it, its dumb to restrict the game to 1 town per console. On the other hand, just share an island with the people you share a Switch with and enjoy it you dorks. Who is using your Switch that you don't want fuckin up your town experience?

Nintendo could do better.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I get it, its dumb to restrict the game to 1 town per console. On the other hand, just share an island with the people you share a Switch with and enjoy it you dorks. Who is using your Switch that you don't want fuckin up your town experience?
it was a little annoying in New Leaf just because only one person got to be the mayor

my girlfriend never got to do any Isabelle stuff and it bummed her out

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. I live in a house with three other people. One person doesn't work (stay at home husband that maintains the house) so he has at least 8 hours more per day and loves to build (500+ hours in Switch Minecraft). He's going to dominate my save file. :(

I'm bummed as hell about this.

But good news, now you have an excuse to buy yourself that amazing AC switch.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me. I live in a house with three other people. One person doesn't work (stay at home husband that maintains the house) so he has at least 8 hours more per day and loves to build (500+ hours in Switch Minecraft). He's going to dominate my save file. :(

I'm bummed as hell about this.
Yeah. It really is ridiculous. I know community is a huge part of Animal Crossing, but the parts I appreciate more by far are the self-expression and building-an-empire-from-scratch aspects.

This doesn't impact me specifically, as I live alone, but my three sisters:

- All share a Switch
- All adore Animal Crossing
- All have completely different personality types, aesthetic sensibilities, and creativity styles

Since the main hook in this game is literally designing almost every aspect of your island precisely how you want it, this forced limitation seems completely antithetical to the game's core philosophy.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
That is such a nintendo decision that i don't know how i didnt antecipated it before.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
They always find a way for AC to wriggle out of certain system level things other games have standard. Like, wasn't backup not allowed on NL?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I understand why people might take issue with a design decision like this, but I also understand why it's like this, and it doesn't bother me much.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Options are bad. Games should have fewer options. Please tell me how to have fun Mr Nintendo.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I reported this thread about 40 minutes ago asking for the title to be changed to "[Confirmed]". Is that not the proper way to request a thread title change, or are the mods just busy?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I loved seeing my brother, sister and mother's houses across mine on the GameCube game. I guess having the option of separate islands would be a good thing, but this is absolutely the way to go for me.

I reported this thread about 40 minutes ago asking for the title to be changed to "[Confirmed]". Is that not the proper way to request a thread title change, or are the mods just busy?
That is the proper way - thanks for doing so -, and yes.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

"it's always been bad with options so it doesn't bother me that's it's still bad now"
Honestly man I'm bout to adopt that mentality too lol. Just accept it what else can we even do at this point. Game gonna break the last animal crossing record sales wise. You just come to accept this stuff from Nintendo titles and they'll never be enough noise to affect them in anyway

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally fine with it, but they should give you a choice. I feel for everyone who wants their own little island ever since my sister deleted my 4+ year old OG Animal Crossing save file ages ago after I specifically told my mom not to let her touch it while I was out lmao.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
So can two switches have the same island? Or do you have to visit one systems island and go back to your own when not connected to them?

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Wait you can't have another island even if you have two copies? That's a rather intense and poor decision as far as I'm concerned :/..

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait you can't have another island even if you have two copies? That's a rather intense and poor decision as far as I'm concerned :/..

Yeah, that's not an Animal Crossing team decision, that's how the Switch architecture was designed. If you put in my Mario Kart cartridge into your Switch, if you already had a copy of MK, it'd just load your save anyway.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Im one of the people that would prefer to be secondary to a mayor on the island. I wish I could do that online. Maybe it will be possible through cloud save and primary/secondary consoles.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Really confused by the reactions here.

This is exactly what we all expected. This is exactly what precious AC games did. I also don't see what the necro bump added other than re-confirming what we knew.

I loved sharing an island with my girlfriend or roommates. That was a huge benefit in previous games.

Old thread title had me worried for a minute and thought they had created a weird gated system for online AC interactions.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So wait I can't use two copies of the game on the same switch?
Nope. The reason for that is the saves are tied to the system level for switch rather than on the cartridge or on a separate memory card. So having multiple copies does nothing for the save file. Why each user can't have one on the switch is beyond me though.