• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like letting comixology/amazon have the monopoly on digital comics wasn't a great idea, huh

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
At least breaking up the digital monopoly would be easier and cheaper. I don't know why every purchase has to go through comixology but the companies can set up their own digital storefronts with much less hassle than a physical distribution system

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like letting comixology/amazon have the monopoly on digital comics wasn't a great idea, huh
? I don't understand this post

Don't Marvel/DC already sell their books in their own apps/storefronts as well? On top of their sub services?

Not to mention quite a few publishers and creators offer DRM free options through other avenues. I literally just posted an example of ShortBox using Gumroad to sell comics. I've bought multiple indie books through there already.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I have mixed feelings on all of this, because while I don't like to see people's livelihoods threatened, I also don't think the direct market is doing this medium any favors.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
? I don't understand this post

Don't Marvel/DC already sell their books in their own apps/storefronts as well? On top of their sub services?

Not to mention quite a few publishers and creators offer DRM free options through other avenues. I literally just posted an example of ShortBox using Gumroad to sell comics. I've bought multiple indie books through there already.
Sub service is useless, you get the books 6 months later, so it's basically a trade wait service.

Are we really going to argue that Amazon/Comixology don't have a huge grip on the digital comics market?

May 24, 2019
Are we really going to argue that Amazon/Comixology don't have a huge grip on the digital comics market?

Do you want to use more than one service? I don't.

Edit: and it's the publishers that set prices anyhow. There's not really much that Amazon is responsible for there.
Never heard any complaints from people having their comics hosted there (other than that weird Marvel $1 trades thing a while ago)

Last edited:

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I bet the companies won't put out comics at all if they cant do physical.
Yeah this is good in that it's gonna force the hands of the big publishers. Now they can claim they're only doing the responsible thing because the supply chain is blocked. THIS IS GOOD. STORES SHOULD NOT BE MADE TO BUY COMICS IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a bad idea. Why not still have them shipped out when stores are already closing their doors and only doing online orders or pick up? Now would be the perfect time to have someone compete with Diamond for retailers.

Do we really think they will stop selling them digitally? I thought the largest part of the physical market was always the collectors/speculators, so I dont see why they would stop selling them digitally. But I could see the reasoning behind not wanting to.

At least breaking up the digital monopoly would be easier and cheaper. I don't know why every purchase has to go through comixology but the companies can set up their own digital storefronts with much less hassle than a physical distribution system
The biggest problem (or rather benefit) was always just having them all in one place. I would be totally down for each company to have their own digital store front, but its on them to do so. They could have done it at any time if they really wanted to.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with Amazon re: digital comics, now?

Aren't those are just skins for CMX/Amazon?
No idea, I don't use them. I was under the impression they were still their own direct store fronts.
Sub service is useless, you get the books 6 months later, so it's basically a trade wait service.

How are they useless? They are direct digital services through the publishers. They offer great value and let's be real, not everyone can afford to buy new comics every week and stuff like MCU/DCU are much more attractive deals to most people.

And quite a few publishers do not use Comixology as I just stated. Off hand First Second, Koyama, 2000AD, and more are not on there. And quite a few publishers are on multiple storefronts such as Valiant.

Like yeah, Comixology is the biggest one I won't deny that, but I'm not really sure how this topic got brought up.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Some say the snakes have a monopoly on comicop creation.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
No idea, I don't use them. I was under the impression they were still their own direct store fronts.

How are they useless? They are direct digital services through the publishers. They offer great value and let's be real, not everyone can afford to buy new comics every week and stuff like MCU/DCU are much more attractive deals to most people.

And quite a few publishers do not use Comixology as I just stated. Off hand First Second, Koyama, 2000AD, and more are not on there. And quite a few publishers are on multiple storefronts such as Valiant.

Like yeah, Comixology is the biggest one I won't deny that, but I'm not really sure how this topic got brought up.
The topic got brought up because it's looking more and more likely the physical comic industry is about to die.

A handful of publishers not using Comixology, doesn't change the fact that it practically holds a monopoly on the digital comic industry.

Having digital comics available to purchase from multiple avenues would be a lot better than one company dictating the prices.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
yeah I think physical floppies are dead. Collections might live on in surviving bookstores and such (not that bookstores are flourishing right now)

May 24, 2019
This seems like a bad idea. Why not still have them shipped out when stores are already closing their doors and only doing online orders or pick up? Now would be the perfect time to have someone compete with Diamond for retailers.

Diamond's problem is warehouses not clearing. Everyone else's problem is that they rely on Diamond. I don't see anyone able to roll out a new distribution method overnight.

Do we really think they will stop selling them digitally? I thought the largest part of the physical market was always the collectors/speculators, so I dont see why they would stop selling them digitally. But I could see the reasoning behind not wanting to.

I just dont think it'd be worth their time to supply a limited market and then figure out how to fill the gap when physical comes back, rather than just delay and shut down.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Marvel and DC apps are just CMX apps that are limited to one publisher. That's all still Amazon.

I use the marvel app, and it doesn't bill my card to Amazon, it says marvel. But you can also buy single issues on the unlimited app. I don't think Unlimited is related to CMX in anyway.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shonen Jumps app a monopoly? A very cheap monopoly

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I love all of these. They could easily be MCU designs.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm if shops are allowed to sell new comics today? I'm tempted to call mine up but I don't get my check for a couple more weeks so I won't have enough cash to buy more than a couple books anyways

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We probably aren't going to get any new comics for a minute.
You're all trade waiters now.

EZYRNs3.gif

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I use the marvel app, and it doesn't bill my card to Amazon, it says marvel. But you can also buy single issues on the unlimited app. I don't think Unlimited is related to CMX in anyway.
Marvel probably gets more of a cut if through the Marvel app (like how Apple gets more of a cut if you subscribe to a service through Apple instead of directly from HBO or whoever), but the actual app itself is made by CMX and uses their files and all that. Those accounts are linkable too, so the books you own in the Marvel app will show up in the normal CMX app. The Marvel app also doesn't show things like MAX books, whereas the CMX does.

Unlimited was made by Marvel, and that's their own internal business. I don't know anything about buying through that. Is that just a different place to allow you to buy things that you would read in the Marvel app, which is a CMX app? I can't imagine paying to read an issue in Unlimited and then having to read it in that app, since the file quality is so low and the app is a buggy mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.