• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who ya got?

• Roll Tide!

Votes: 49 21.5%
  • Go Tigers!

Votes: 67 29.4%
  • Boomer Sooner!

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Fight on Irish!

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Not UCF

Votes: 89 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Thread soundtrack, as I'm not doing the bullshit ESPN Imagine Dragons NAT-U-RAL theme, especially since ESPN has deemed their music so painfully offensive that their national championship halftime show is AN HOUR AWAY from the stadium. So, have some Chvrches instead, since Fox used them for the CFB promos.

Welcome to the 2019 College Football Playoff. Yes, 2019- the Wikipedia page and everything says it.

The field is boring. You have three repeat teams from last season and the interloper new to the field is Notre Dame. God I hate this sport sometimes. It's the definition of an oligarchy, which Professor Rodger Sherman helpfully outlines in the video below.

Semifinals- Saturday, December 29 (all games on ESPN)

Cotton Bowl, 4 PM

#2 Clemson vs #3 Notre Dame- The ACC Championship Game is taking place at Jerry World? Weird. At this point, Notre Dame needs to just play a full ACC schedule to give Clemson some semblance of competition, because fucking Syracuse is the only team in the actual conference that gave Clemson a game, and ND blew them out.

#putpittin. I don't care if they got asswhipped by Clemson- always #putpittin

Also, Hunter Renfrow is STILL at Clemson, which means I get to continue to make Hunter Renfrow jokes. Here he is with his fiancee.

Orange Bowl, 8 PM

#1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma- Heisman grudge match. Oklahoma is going to score 40 and still lose by three TDs. The camera will pan to Nick Saban as he curses the gods for making him score so many points. Kyler Murray will run back to baseball, and our evil Bama mods/admins will inevitably change the OP that I worked so hard on.

Pls no ban thanks

Worth noting that this is the lineup of coaches for the ESPN film room, aka the way to watch these games:

ESPNs-Coaches-Film-Room-5_RESIZE-660x336.png

Anyone else excited to hear Paul Johnson unfiltered now that he's retired? He's gonna get in a fight with Mack and it's going to be A+ television.

Final- Monday, January 7

#1 Alabama vs. #2 Clemson, 8 PM

New Year's Six

Normally, this is the fun part, but the Committee wimped out and refused to give us the Florida state championship we deserve (not the Noles- they aren't even bowl eligible). So instead we get Florida/Michigan again. If you watch that game you deserve to be dragged behind a shed and shot.

Saturday, December 29

Peach- #7 Michigan vs #10 Florida, noon- Seriously, do not watch this game. It is the awful appetizer that will ruin the rest of your semifinal day. The Belk Bowl is also on at noon. Watch that. Better yet, watch Arkansas State and Nevada play in the Arizona Bowl (shoutout to Bill Connelly and PAPN).

Tuesday, January 1

Fiesta- #8 UCF vs #11 LSU, 1 PM- 2018's only legitimate national champion looks to repeat without its all-everything QB, McKenzie Milton. 25 straight wins and still can't sniff the sham of a Playoff system. DA COACH O and his Tigahs stand between UCF and their inevitable claim of back to back national championships. Unfortunately, the Colley Matrix has already mathematically eliminated the Knights.

Rose- #6 Ohio State vs #9 Washington (nice), 5 PM- Urban's last game. DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD (until he turns up at Notre Dame in 2021 when they run Brian Kelly off). Washington lost to 7-5 Auburn. Jake Browning has gotten drastically worse over his college career. Why couldn't Wazzu win the Apple Cup and make this game interesting? With the other notable underclassmen QBs staying in school, this is Dwayne Haskins's audition for a top 5 pick.

Sugar- #5 Georgia vs #15 Texas, 8:45 PM- Texas is back? Ok cool, hook 'em!

CFB Era's Official Podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage- Records live in our Discord every Wednesday @ 9 PM EST

The new podcast is up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 69 - Watch out for Nice Surf Bros in Texas this Holiday Season

Bowl previews, Early Signing Day mentioned, Justin Fields sweepstakes is on, questions from listeners... Happy Holidays, everyone!

During the games, we're on Discord- quote to find the link and join us!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also worth noting- if you're stuck at work today, there's a pretty good lineup of games! Purdue/Auburn will be fun for schadenfreude reasons involving Jeff Brohm and his future job potential. Camping World loses some luster without Will Grier, but that just gives Syracuse a legitimate shot at 10 wins for the first time in over a decade. Don't need to hype up Wazzu/Iowa State because their fans are going to be batshit crazy.

So yes. Watch football today.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Can't wait to see Notre Lame get decimated. A couple decent matchups but I'm pretty meh at the bowls this year. Didn't even do an office pool because there wasn't one for the first time ever.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Can't wait to see Notre Lame get decimated. A couple decent matchups but I'm pretty meh at the bowls this year. Didn't even do an office pool because there wasn't one for the first time ever.

I think going forward they gotta get rid of conference tie-ins for the lower tier bowls at the very least. It's limiting matchup potential.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Also worth noting- if you're stuck at work today, there's a pretty good lineup of games! Purdue/Auburn will be fun for schadenfreude reasons involving Jeff Brohm and his future job potential. Camping World loses some luster without Will Grier, but that just gives Syracuse a legitimate shot at 10 wins for the first time in over a decade. Don't need to hype up Wazzu/Iowa State because their fans are going to be batshit crazy.

So yes. Watch football today.

Stuck at work and I've been looking forward to that Purdue game all week. Bowl season is why people get laptops at work right?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Had a dream / nightmare that Bama lost to OU and then woke up and reality reminded me of OU's historically bad defense. Yeah it is gonna be a 52-37 type game, Sooner's are good, but Bama can do everything that gave OU a hard time this season AND can play more than enough D to stop Kyler.

Sorry yall, just that way until Sab's retires.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Had a dream / nightmare that Bama lost to OU and then woke up and reality reminded me of OU's historically bad defense. Yeah it is gonna be a 52-37 type game, Sooner's are good, but Bama can do everything that gave OU a hard time this season AND can play more than enough D to stop Kyler.

Sorry yall, just that way until Sab's retires.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...f-predictions-projections-picks-orange-cotton

The tale of the tape says it all. Oklahoma's offense is incredible, but Bama's is only slightly worse. Meanwhile, Bama didn't give up 40 to Kansas.

Please do not watch the UF/Mich game.

Indeed. If you didn't catch me saying it multiple times in the OP, DO NOT WATCH MICHIGAN/FLORIDA. For your own sanity.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Settled in to a local bar with beer and wings. Let's go Boilermakers!

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Jesus what is this Purdue Auburn game.

Also hope Notre Dame gets wrecked to further the case that UCF should've got a shot.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Ohio State? This has to be one of the worst transitive property looks of all-time.

Though I'm not sure anyone was seriously arguing that point this year.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
This ass kicking will be enough to put Auburn in the pre-season top 10 on their way to another 5 losses next year.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Ian Book kinda reminds me of Nick Foles. Incoming fluke Notre Dame playoff run.

And UCF doesn't deserve to be in the CFP without Milton

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I flatly do not understand all this "Kyler Murray is a first rounder" talk that's happening now.

He's 5'9'' and 170 pounds. In what universe is that a first round QB?

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what I hate more: these officials or the fact that I had diarrhea, vomiting, and a fever the past 36 hours.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Heisman mania
It's just nuts to me lol, he's a safety in the NFL. And he'd be turning down being able to play for 12+ years in the majors with plus defense where he'd have a ton of money and playing time and stick around because it's a total premium.

Like my dude, you're not an NFL player. Stop pretending and go play baseball.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I flatly do not understand all this "Kyler Murray is a first rounder" talk that's happening now.

He's 5'9'' and 170 pounds. In what universe is that a first round QB?

It helps that Herbert stayed in school and the QB class is godawful this year as a result. Combine that with the fact that the NFL is starting to run his offense and you have irrational hype over someone who will get murdered if he tries to play the position professionally.

Like, Baker got shit over his height, and Murray is at least two inches smaller. Everything I've read from people who have met him says that 5'9 is generous for his measurement.

Welcome to Heisman mania

Like you wouldn't be eating it all up if Tua had won.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
That moment when Alabama is the least worst option to root for this weekend. Jesus.

Eh. I like Lincoln and OU. Nothing too skeevy over there unless someone cares to correct me.

Clemson has the whole church thing and I generally dislike holier than thou types. Brian Kelly was responsible for the death of a kid. Never forget.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
29 NFL players have made $100M in career earnings, contrasted to that over 150 MLB players have eclipsed that, and three more will do so in the coming weeks.

Whoever takes a 5'9'' QB who doesn't have the strongest arm in history attached to his shoulder (Murray's is about average) should be ridiculed and derided for decades to come. It's idiotic and I hope he doesn't make a stupid decision for his future. Ride the bus for a year, hit AAA by next spring training, make the bigs by June/July and hit arbitration at age 25.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
29 NFL players have made $100M in career earnings, contrasted to that over 150 MLB players have eclipsed that, and three more will do so in the coming weeks.

Whoever takes a 5'9'' QB who doesn't have the strongest arm in history attached to his shoulder (Murray's is about average) should be ridiculed and derided for decades to come. It's idiotic and I hope he doesn't make a stupid decision for his future. Ride the bus for a year, hit AAA by next spring training, make the bigs by June/July and hit arbitration at age 25.
He'd be lucky to get to the Majors by Summer '21, but I guess it is possible. I don't know enough about the Athletics org to know if he will be a huge need sooner than later.

Still baseball is best for him in the long run.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Gameday is insinuating that Notre Dame isn't being respected, in terms of the point spread.

Does anyone here believe that Clemson shouldn't be 12 point favorites?

Outside of one or two games, Clemson has looked convincing. Outside of one or two games, Notre Dame hasn't.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Gameday is insinuating that Notre Dame isn't being respected, in terms of the point spread.

Does anyone here believe that Clemson shouldn't be 12 point favorites?

Outside of one or two games, Clemson has looked convincing. Outside of one or two games, Notre Dame hasn't.

Without Dexter Lawrence, I do think that spread is a little high. I'd put it around 9. S&P+ has it around 7 without taking the absence of Lawrence into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.