• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Dude gave up millions. Endured vicious social media hate mobs. He gave up an NFL career and even working in the NFL as a front office person, coach, etc., for dead black men he barely knew.

I'd love to see social media before and afters of people complaining about Kaepernick during these peaceful protests for the exact thing that happened with George Floyd and now probably also saying protest should be peaceful. You can't win with these folks.

Moreover, to see all this recent woke branding on George Floyd, which I do think is good (focus on the war, not the battle), but where were they before?

I am glad more companies are speaking out but gotta give props to Kaep for taking a stand way before it was cool.

Update:
To be clear, I'm not talking about the binary of racism being bad and anti-racism being good. I'm assuming that is understood.

I'm talking about the people and brands using their platform for social issues for bigger issues beyond money and endorsements.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see social media before and afters of people complaining about Kaepernick during these peaceful protests for the exact thing that happened with George Floyd and now probably also saying protest should be peaceful. You can't win with these folks.

Don't worry they still hate him.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
The arc of history is long but bends toward justice. Dude will be more than vindicated yet.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Dude gave up millions. Endured vicious social media hate mobs. He gave up an NFL career and even working in the NFL as a front office person, coach, etc., for dead black men he barely knew.

Moreover, to see all this recent woke branding on George Floyd, which I do think is good (focus on the war, not the battle), but where were they before?

I am glad more companies are speaking out but gotta give props to Kaep for taking a stand way before it was cool.
He never looked like he was on the wrong side of it.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Kaepernick did the thing he believed was right and I was always with him. People acted like he was being unpatriotic, but in reality it was the opposite. His expression of protest was noble and respectable.

The demonizing of silent protests is why we're seeing people marching in the streets, more and more. It's only the fault of those that brushed off previous non-violent protests as an attack on America.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
He was always on the right side of history, this has never been debatable on any level -and he was far from the first person to make such a stand too. But yes I have tons of respect for him putting it over his career like that

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't let hindsight fool you into thinking this wasn't always the case and it wasn't glaringly obvious in real time

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
He was always on the right side of history with his protest.
The people hating him will continue to do so. That's what xenophobic racist people do.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
30 years from now people will say "You should protest like Kap", they hate them when they are alive. But love using them like a bludgeon when they are dead

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He always was. But it is amazing to have a very recent version of protest to shut down all of the, "This is not the way to get change" people that were saying Kaep was wrong to do what he did.

Fuck hypocrites.

Mar 10, 2018
EZMpV95XYAEqxIc

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
To be clear, I'm not talking about the binary of racism being bad and anti-racism being good. I'm assuming that is understood.

I'm talking about the people and brands using their platform for social issues for bigger issues beyond money and endorsements.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Forgive my ignorance here as I'm not American or follow the NFL but I thought he just took a knee during the national anthem? If so, I can't imagine anyone who thought he was in the wrong then has changed their mind.

The type of person to be offended by that are pathetic and hypocritical.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I just hope people remember what the protest was really about. Trump took the narrative and made it about "respecting the flag" or some nonsense.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
He was always on the right side of history.
He was right then, he is right now.
There was never any question he was on the right side
Always was to anyone who isn't a racist.
^

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hilarious to see the same people who were on Kaep's ass now plead for peaceful protests.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the secret: White moderates will NEVER be happy with how the protests occur because they inherently don't agree with subject of the protests. No form of protest will make them happy because they don't want the protests to occur at all.

Oct 26, 2017
He was already on the right side of history since 2016. The reason people caused a stink was because they are stupid and don't realize how political, sports can be.
And then you have the brain dead Americans whovalued entertainment above the messaging.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
His initial protest certainly helped to bring light and get me to understand and empathize the issue's going on with black America (as an ignorant white privileged Canadian it was kind of difficult to see what the issue was).

Its unfortunate though that the media spun it as Un-American and White America ate it up as an attack instead of what it was intended to be, a way to spotlight an major issue because the ensuing chaos could have been prevented if a majority of people took the message seriously the first time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
He was always on the right side of history.
This.

What Kaep did was honestly ingenious. He asked for something that you should not need to ask for and did it in the mildest and most respectful way possible. And sadly way too many people lost their minds over it.

If you were paying attention to it when it happened it was incredibly offensive and discouraging as an American.

I stopped watching the NFL because of Kaep but I was surprised how many people at the time thought he was in the wrong.

I do agree that history has proven him 100% correct to those who doubted him. But they were in the wrong from the start.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And people say "Why can't they protest peacefully?".

Kaepernick tried that..... it didn't go so well.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Kaepernick being right was always obvious if you weren't an ignorant moron.