• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017

Christopher Nolan largely makes very seriousmovies, so it came as quite a shock a few years ago when it was revealed that one of his favorite films is the comedy masterpiece MacGruber. But what if I told you Nolan was a Tokyo Drift truther as well? Indeed, the filmmaker behind action epics like Tenet and Inception and Dunkirk recently revealed his fondness for a completely different (and wholly cartoony) action franchise: the Fast and Furious movies.
Appearing on Josh Horowitz's HappySadConfused podcast, Nolan was asked about his affection for the Fast and Furious franchise. He revealed his favorite remains Rob Cohen's original film The Fast and the Furious, but noted he joins a legion of F&F superfans in his appreciation for Tokyo Drift:

"I'm sort of original recipe, the Rob Cohen original. But I've got a very soft spot for Tokyo Drift actually. And Justin Lin's iterations, as they got crazier and bigger and crazier and bigger they became something else, but something else kinda fun."
Tokyo Drift redeemed

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
1t40wh.jpg

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I also enjoyed Tokyo Drift. It was like, the hottest shit for a full season back in school and I was quite shocked when I saw people shitting on it on the interweb. If anything, it should've been a TV show instead of just a movie.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
This reads like deflection from his very vocal disposition of current film industry affairs. 🤷‍♀️

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Tokyo Drift is the best in the series and that's a fact. Good for him.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo Drift has legit always been my favorite in the franchise... if for no other reason than a bottle of Tabasco is easily visible flying through the car during the wreck in the first race...

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Better cast Sung Kang aka Han in your next movie Nolan!

he's too interested in high concept stuff now to want to do it but there was a really dope action bromance going on between Pattinson and John David Washington in Tenet that Nolan could really expand on with Han (or others) too in an action movie :(

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo Drift starts ok but almost immediately goes deep into that whole american gaijin in nippon thing which is pretty lame. I still prefer the OG.

Last edited:

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
A man of taste.

Tokyo Drift is my favorite Fast and Furious movie. It's not a good movie but man I love watching it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A man of taste.

Tokyo Drift is my favorite Fast and Furious movie. It's not a good movie but man I love watching it.

Same. I don't know why, but it's definitely one of my favorite FF movies. By favorite, I mean the only one I can watch from beginning to end.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the Nolan directed Fast, where the only dialogue in the movie is just the sound of engines for 2 hours.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
I've been carrying this torch for YEARS. Fast and Furious is a franchise that knows what it is - a revving good time. It doesn't try to be intelligent, or "high art", it's just a damn fun time.

As a major Nolan fan, this is personal validation. I'll be printing this tweet out and carrying it in my wallet.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is his attempt to rehabilitate his image, it's working.

Tokyo Drift my effing jam.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been carrying this torch for YEARS. Fast and Furious is a franchise that knows what it is - a revving good time. It doesn't try to be intelligent, or "high art", it's just a damn fun time.
People always give the fast and furious shit for being dumb, but the plot of those movies is not dumber than your Mission Impossible or James Bond films, they just don't take themselves as seriously.
And I think they tend to be way less problematic than either of the above mentioned franchises, and at least for my movie going taste, consistently just a good times at the movies.

I'm gonna rewatch Tokyo Drift tonight.

Last edited: