• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I want to know how brazen writers and devs can be!

I'll start: "You know, Ellie, we really are The La-" ok just kidding. But more seriously, actual game quotes please, not made-up ones

I'll start for real:

"and thus is ours A Realm Reborn!" - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

ffxiv_21092019_200119_450.png

What are yours?

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Somewhat related: They sure went to preposterous lengths to shoehorn "Arkham" elements into those Batman games. They loved that subtitle enough to make a walled off portion of a city and a weird new character in a mech suit.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
"You know Ellie, we really are the last of us too"

- Joel in the Last of Us Part II verified via leaks.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
🎵 I'm flipping the Switch
Get ready for this
Oh, let's do the Odyssey
Odyssey-- Yes, see
Odyssey-- Yes, see... 🎵

(etc)

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn did it a few times to varying degrees of subtlety.

Metal Gear Solid's attempts have never been subtle, but I feel like the Sons of Liberty one works best.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts spin-offs usually work them in somewhere.

Both "Chain of Memories" and "Birth by Sleep" are dropped.

I think Twilight Princess is one of the few times the subtitle is name dropped when it's not a macguffin you're looking for.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
If we're talking about actually good name drops, the third Professor Layton game nails it.
I'll miss you... and our... unwound future."
It also works in PAL
You won't forget, will you? Our shared past... and our ...lost future.
It's rare for a title drop to feel natural, but this one does and also makes me cry every time I think about it.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
my favorite trope borth ironically and unironically. Kills me every time
"after all, we really are the Final Fantasy XV King's Edition out now on PC, Noctis."

but for reals:
"You would knowingly shackle your heart with a chain of memories born of lies?"
"So many are still waiting for their new beginning, their birth by sleep. Even me...and even you."
"Listen up! The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go."

Oct 29, 2017
If we're talking about actually good name drops, the third Professor Layton game nails it.
I'll miss you... and our... unwound future."
It also works in PAL
You won't forget, will you? Our shared past... and our ...lost future.
It's rare for a title drop to feel natural, but this one does and also makes me cry every time I think about it.
Fuck, this one right here. This is what I wanted to post when I saw the thread title. Such an underrated gem of a game!

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Reminds me of the Street Fighter: The Later Years webseries.

"Honda's men are no longer Street Fighters. They see this as Mortal Kombat and they have the Killer Instinct. If you do not help your friends, this may be their Final Fight........ Clay Fighter."

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to try and find something for Mass Effect, but outside of the title screen concluding the opening text, and the codex, I'm not sure anyone ever actually says Mass Effect.

Related to the OP, Midna calls Zelda "Twilight Princess" early on, and this gets called back to later with plot developments.

DarkSora

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
"But the Patriots would deny us even that, I will triumph over the Patriots, and liberate us all. And we will become the Sons of Liberty!"

"Understood. Commencing Operation Snake Eater."