• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Ever saw a character that you thought was completely different and now that is how you see them? Pokemon Sword and Shield introduced a character named Bede, who is apparently a teenage male, but what I see is an old lady Pokemon trainer. This sums it up perfectly

a5a.png

I just can't see Bede any other way

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PQGVsUw.png

The lines and dots in Lucca's face are not her eyes and a mouth, but her eyeglasses seen from profile.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully without voice acting, i can continue to think of Bede as a lil old woman tearin ass through britain

Its a better character design that way

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Always thought the Bullet Bill from Super Mario Bros. was smiling but it's actually its arm. I still can't unsee it tbh.

c9e981356fa8144.png

1200px-BulletBillMK8.png

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Raine in Tales of Symphonia and Van in Tales of the Abyss I thought were 20 years older. They're both in 20s.

Nov 14, 2017
Brendan having white hair instead of it just being a hat in Pokemon R/S

I think they even poke fun at this in the manga

Vague Rant

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Always thought the Bullet Bill from Super Mario Bros. was smiling but it's actually its arm. I still can't unsee it tbh.

c9e981356fa8144.png

1200px-BulletBillMK8.png
Looking at this I can't remember which way I see it, they both look right to me. I went looking at how they work in other games and Nintendo has been all over the place with them. In Super Mario Land 2, 64 and Sunshine, it's a mouth, in the Galaxy games and other recent games, a fist. Now I'm not even sure which one is intended in the NES sprite.

EDIT: And then the cartoons were like "It's both."
800px-BulletBillTAOSMB3.png

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
alfabetajuega-elden-ring-02-10062019-770x433.jpg

I've seen a lot of people misinterpret this guy from the elden ring trailer for a dwarf/one of those trolls w the long hair

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
For a while, I thought Quote had a profile view, with the far headphone being a Mario-esque nose, and the other eye being an ear/sideburn.
cave_story_dude_icon_by_doctor_cool.png

Maybe it's because it's a little strange that his head is 3-quarters perspective while his body walks strictly side to side. And it's not like a robot has to look like "normal."

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
An audio example:

The first review I saw for this game (N Gamer in the UK I think? Or whatever came before that?) pointed it out and it's still all I hear to this day

c9e981356fa8144.png

1200px-BulletBillMK8.png

Yup, I've always wondered if Banzai Bill was a direct reference to this.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Just remembered another one. I thought Silver from Pokemon G/S/C was a girl when I was a kid. It was hard to tell with the tiny screen and spritework.

main-qimg-a5667e56182024387a5759862b0bdcf1

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
For some strange reason, my brain parses the Metroid 2 Alpha Metroid sprite as a weird flying clown head.

metroid_alpha.gif

The spike that originates from the middle is a nose, the eyes are on either side, and the mouth below.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Open the quote to see, but

On a CRT TV through an RF video connection, these clouds from Super Mario Bros looked like floating teeth, which as a kid, I so no reason they wouldn't be. Everything else in Mario was nonsensical.

I didn't know they were clouds until probably around 10-15 years ago when emulators got better.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Open the quote to see, but

On a CRT TV through an RF video connection, these clouds from Super Mario Bros looked like floating teeth, which as a kid, I so no reason they wouldn't be. Everything else in Mario was nonsensical.

I didn't know they were clouds until probably around 10-15 years ago when emulators got better.
This is why you read the instruction booklet!

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Ever saw a character that you thought was completely different and now that is how you see them? Pokemon Sword and Shield introduced a character named Bede, who is apparently a teenage male, but what I see is an old lady Pokemon trainer. This sums it up perfectly

a5a.png

I just can't see Bede any other way

76WTsAM.jpg

I see Ryo Asuka with that expression lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
113px-Marin_singing.png

Link's Awakening was the first video game I ever played as a kid and I always thought Marin was like an older lady and the parts of hair behind her back was actually her like hunched over holding her hands behind her back. Even today I have trouble seeing her sprite correctly

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
WiiUVC_FinalFantasyTacticsAdvance_03.jpg

During my first playthrough of FFTA I used to believe that Moogles had beaks according to their sprites. (Yes, it sounds stupid specially when you can clearly see Montblanc's portrait without a beak, but to be fair it doesn't have the moogle nose either)

Nov 23, 2017
WiiUVC_FinalFantasyTacticsAdvance_03.jpg

During my first playthrough of FFTA I used to believe that Moogles had beaks according to their sprites. (Yes, it sounds stupid specially when you can clearly see Montblanc's portrait without a beak, but to be fair it doesn't have the moogle nose either)
played this game 5 times and didnt realize til now that the moogle sprites are the normal non FF12 version but the portraits are FF12 version. Kind of weird

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never be able to see Metapod as anything but angry.

YosQehL.png