• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Will TV's need to be ATSC 3.0 compatible? Or will 4k TV owners need an external tuner?

Will said tuners be commonplace or would it be better to wait until the next generation of TV'S come out?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
IDGAF about your phones, TCL. Where's any kind of details for your tvs this year?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Edit- misunderstood that.

Edit2- ok I guess I did hear that right. I was going nuts in here about them updating some 2019 TVs to HDMI 2.1

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm interested in what this new TCL tv is gonna add up to overall in reviews.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Can they really add 48gbps to 18gbps cable? :)

As for VRR, that's not that strange. Ordinary HDMI 2.0 TVs can use variable refresh rate if their image processing chip supports it.

edit -

This sounds great. And expensive.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
We should not forget that TCL produces all of their hardware, so they are one of the rare Chinese brands that can really innovate and offer something different.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't sure on if this was the place to ask, but how likely is it that Nvidia will show a new line of high-end cards here? If not this week then when do you suspect they might do it?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Why is microLED still not a thing I can buy right now?

You would be saying the same about OLED, if LG didn't stick with it (while Sony and Samsung bailed) and find a way to make it affordable. They took the chance and are getting rewarded for it.

MicroLED seems too expensive still. LG does have section for it at their huge booth.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Basically they took a shot at other tv brands that used filters with standard backlights (dual panels), then at OLED, then announced their own Vidrian Mini LED tech (minileds directly fused into the backlight).

That's comical coming from a company who's panels are pretty bad (TCL 6 owner here).

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Can they really add 48gbps to 18gbps cable? :)

As for VRR, that's not that strange. Ordinary HDMI 2.0 TVs can use variable refresh rate if their image processing chip supports it.

edit -

This sounds great. And expensive.

I'm not an expert in calculating video signal bit rates, but I don't believe so, it will be compressed to 4:2:0 and likely 8 bit (no HDR?) I think 10bit, 4:2:0, 120Hz is beyond 18Gbps. That said it's still a great feature add and much better than nothing.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
They already are - provided you want a 50+" size screen. The top tier display at the moment is the LG C9 OLED series which has pretty much everything you would want from a gaming monitor. If you want a smaller display then you are out of luck. High refresh rate costs a lot and 4K is available in very limited sizes. The upcoming LG 48" OLED is probably the only "smaller" 4K screen worth buying and by the end of the year should be available for pretty reasonable money.

If Samsung or other vendors manage to make smaller 43" TVs with 120 Hz input then those become a good contender as well but so far those have been mediocre 60 Hz panels all around.

The display industry is completely stupid in the way they peddle the exact same thing for years before coming out with what people have been screaming them to make: a reasonably priced, high refresh rate, 32-43", actually good 4K monitor. But nooo, let's churn out yet another 1440p 27" monitor that you can't tell apart from last year's model.

I fortunately already have a C9 to work with (just want to run an HDMI cable through the wall to have it attached to my desktop PC monitor too), but I meant something more along the lines of like a sub $500 4k 120/144Hz monitor.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised TCL didn't give an update on refreshes for the insanely popular 5 and 6 series TVs. I know that CES usually means future tech but not a mention?

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Very excited to see what AMD will show us today. It has been a while since there was competition on the CPU market, hopefully they can also have a fair chance at disrupting the GPU market.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
How much money do you have? Samsung can create a screen for you no problem...
You would be saying the same about OLED, if LG didn't stick with it (while Sony and Samsung bailed) and find a way to make it affordable. They took the chance and are getting rewarded for it.

MicroLED seems too expensive still. LG does have section for it at their huge booth.
Right now it is incredibly expensive because they need to put each micro pixel one by one. Given time and better manufacturing methods, it might become cheaper.

Haha yeah im not loaded, but it just seems we've heard so long ago about this "holy grail" of tv, It seems weird to me theres still no viable manufacturing process to make this technology commercially available.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
MicroLEDs are a old thing, but they were used for creation of low resolution displays used for large digital road sinage. As of recently, they started miniaturizing them enough so they became viable for TV use.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah im not loaded, but it just seems we've heard so long ago about this "holy grail" of tv, It seems weird to me theres still no viable manufacturing process to make this technology commercially available.

SED was like the nuclear fusion of TV. It was the holy grail of TV and was worked on for over 20 years before it was finally abandoned. Sometimes great technology just can't be produced. It's a little early to be worried about things, though. Still, be prepared for the possibility it never fulfills the promises.