• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher world as described, when it focuses on descriptions, is an amalgamation of cultures that are short hands for the needs of the plot. Like, ofc it's in some way influenced by the author's background, that much is a given and is inherently a part of the writing process, but, "Medieval Poland" the Witcher is not.
The entire tone of the story is based on clearly slavic tales, with a human and misunderstood hero that tries to fight the evil of the normal world. The core of the Witcher story telling couldnt be fully understood without the painful story of Polish people.
That he uses other cultures as part of the background does not make the book less polish, it just points that the polish writing and cultural elite had taken many western european influences since the times of the polish revival in the late 19th century.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
The books aren't diverse at all, far as I know.

I think the main reason you don't see diversity in the game is that it's made by a bunch of white polish people, from source material with white polish characters, and racial diversity was probably not on their mind at all. I know this sounds very weird to Americans, but Poland was, and remains, almost completely white.

Not that CDPR is a bastion of progressive values, of course. But considering the prominence of characters of various races in Cyberpunk 2077, I'd argue that their omission from Witcher 3 can be better explained by ignorance and thoughtlessness rather than active racism.
id argue that it's more likely the developers wanted to stay true to the book material. Should we be mad at peter Jackson for their not being more cultural diversity in the LOTR movies? I personally didn't like the casting of tris in the show. Not that I have a problem with her cultural background. It's the game that made me think she should have been a redhead.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
No you guys are the ones trying to "shit" on me the way you claiming I'm doing Poland.

American culture gets exported, adapted, and changed all the time.

That's the way culture works.

You guys can keep making up all these dumb ass stories a about me of you want, but that does not make them true.

Some americans making a TV adaption doesn't stop the novels and games from being polish culture.
Yes, it's normal for culture to be exported and change, but pasta doesn't stop being italian culture just because people all over the world eat it now.

The books and games are produced by polish people with a polish consciousness and polish ideology, regardless of wether or not they are being exported, they remain a product of polish culture.

1675.jpg

""I've said it once, and I'll say it again: there is no deliberate world creation in my books! When it comes to the ontology of the entire civilization, it is rudimentary, subservient to the plot and only the plot. (…) My world is a pseudo-world, a mere background, a picture on a canvas moved by a reel. And it's justified – after all, the story in the books is about the fate of the characters, not about the fate of the world; the setting serves the plot, not the other way around.""
-Andrzej Sapkowski

This has nothing to do with what i said, it's not even part of the conversation i partake in.
The conversation i replied to was that of wether or not the witcher is a part of polish culture, not wether or not the gameworld is supposed to be.
However i am not surprised by your response being what it is, given the attempts at conversations i've had with you in the past.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
And I suppose jazz and hip-hop is no longer black culture either, because it is being handled and consumed by people of many different cultures
Do you consider Samurai Chanploo or cowboy bebop "black culture"

Like I said, you are literally arguing for cultural appropriation, except it being okay as long as the culture appropriated is predominantly white-skinned.
No, like I said this is an adaption of that reverse racism nonsense.

What I'm arguing is that culture is changed, adapted, and shared all the time. It's obvious the people in charge of the Witcher franchise are ok with that as they have a diverse range of people working on it and their stories included a diverse range of cultures. The skin colors in the game just don't reflect that.

It would not change the story or culture to have a black Geralt, it's true. But if it would not change anything, why do it? To satisfy an American ideal of what diversity means?

Like I asked before, would it also be a valid complaint that there are no lower-caste characters in American media?
Diverse skin colors is not an American concept.

Again, in no continent in the history of the world has their ever been only fair skinned people. NEVER.

So this is not a request for "inclusion". This is a request to stop the purposeful exclusion of non-white skin.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Had they told the truth & just admitted their ignorance, apologized & vowed to fix it there wouldn't have been as much backlash. But alas, here we are with this dumb excuse years later, still looking as dumb as ever

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Witcher trilogy and the books are amazingly diverse. You have humans, elves, gnomes, dwarfes, godlings, dryads, intelligent dragons..
And both deal with racism very well, through this allegory, even if they do not feature different human ethnicities and skin colors (until HoS). Why? Because they are made by Poles, and Poland was a country stuck behind iron curtain that also happens to be nearly completely homogenous and Poles do not have a guilty conscience over african slavery to feel the need to include africans (or asians, or eskymos). "Write what you know". Of course, now that they know some americans will call them racist because of it, I am sure they learned that lesson.

I'm not trying to attack you personally and perhaps due to a some form of language barrier you are unable to understand the tone of your post but...this narrative you are pushing reeks of nativism. Homogenous society is not a concept that should be defended under any circumstance. Infact, that is the underlying reason behind the horrible experience poc's has to endure whenever they are in a Central,Eastern or Southern European state. There is a reason why international students avoid countries with homogenous societies.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Some americans making a TV adaption doesn't stop the novels and games from being polish culture.
Yes, it's normal for culture to be exported and change, but pasta doesn't stop being italian culture just because people all over the world eat it now.
The irony of this statement laughable and serves to prove my point exactly.

"Pasta" was a Chinese export around the world, that we now view as "Italian", but you also wouldn't call Pirogues "Italian"

Thanks for proving my point for me buddy. I knew you'd get it at some point.

The books and games are produced by polish people with a polish consciousness and polish ideology, regardless of wether or not they are being exported, they remain a product of polish culture.
No. The games are now made by a diverse group of people. The themes within the games and now the series are influenced by that diversity.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank you, this seems like the most logical comment here.

To add my two cents, Witcher books are heavily influenced by Slavic mythology and culture, so CDPR decided to create a world that is also based on Slavic culture. This also means that the world is basically fully populated by white people. The show is heavily westernized. Now it looks like another generic fantasy show. It has no slavic elements anymore. The show completly stripped the Witcher from the only thing that made the world unique.
So you're saying if the show was all-white then it would stand out as unique in fantasy media and true to Slavic culture? Whiteness is the Slavic element? Lol there are plenty of predom white fantasy shows and movies, whiteness is hardly a USP.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The entire tone of the story is based on clearly slavic tales, with a human and misunderstood hero that tries to fight the evil of the normal world. The core of the Witcher story telling couldnt be fully understood without the painful story of Polish people.
That he uses other cultures as part of the background does not make the book less polish, it just points that the polish writing and cultural elite had taken many western european influences since the times of the polish revival in the late 19th century.
I am not saying that the storytelling is not at all influenced by the author's Polish heritage, just that that does not excuse the lack of PoC in hte games nor does it mean that the Witcher universe itself is "medieval Poland"

This has nothing to do with what i said, it's not even part of the conversation i partake in.
The conversation i replied to was that of wether or not the witcher is a part of polish culture, not wether or not the gameworld is supposed to be.
However i am not surprised by your response being what it is, given the attempts at conversations i've had with you in the past.
Oh ok I misunderstood. Yea I really disagree with the notion that The Witcher is not strictly a part of Polish culture.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are the many interactions between Geralt and Ciri, who is supposed to be like a daughter to him, but always lean on flirting, not enough? Even Philippa makes a comment about it ingame for crying out loud.

Yeah, no dude I think you might be the only person I've ever seen interpret things this way. I'm genuinely unsure how you've come to this conclusion.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying if the show was all-white then it would stand out as unique in fantasy media and true to Slavic culture? Whiteness is the Slavic element? Lol there are plenty of predom white fantasy shows and movies, whiteness is hardly a USP.
Oh man what will I do without my white unique fantasy shows/movies..... :/ I have a hard time even counting on hand any fantasy movie/show that is diverse.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
The Witcher 3 is a straight white male game's wet dream come true and I'm convinced that's a huge reason for it's success. Because that gameplay is fucking atrocious and the characters interactions are often ridiculous and immensely cringe worthy, especially when the long cast of perfectly beautiful women *hint hint* is involved.

Nah. It's just a fucking good game.

I'm brown, btw.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"Pasta" was a Chinese export around the world, that we now view as "Italian", but you also wouldn't call Pirogues "Italian"

No. The games are now made by a diverse group of people. The themes within the games and now the series are influenced by that diversity.
You seem to be making a case for culture appropriation not to exist, I guess your logic is good to remember when a minority feels like their culture is being taken away from them. "Well it's not your culture anymore because we now consume it".

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns around representation
Seems strange that there's been no mention of CDPR's efforts to diversify their game's cast of characters with the Ofieri in their first DLC.
We have to be outraged about something.

Personally liked the cast of the show, but felt that it wasn't Slavic enough.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For decades PoC were borderline forced to do this since there weren't many PoC in media.

And that's bad. Solution isn't to cast everyone in the world who creates some artwork as racist lest they include every ethnicity on earth.

I'm not trying to attack you personally and perhaps due to a some form of language barrier you are unable to understand the tone of your post but...this narrative you are pushing reeks of nativism. Homogenous society is not a concept that should be defended under any circumstance. Infact, that is the underlying reason behind the horrible experience poc's has to endure whenever they are in a Central,Eastern or Southern European state. There is a reason why international students avoid countries with homogenous societies.

I am not pushing any narrative. The fact is many countries ARE ethnically homogenous, it's a fact of life. Many countries all over the world, not just in Europe. And thus person like Sapkowski can write a fantasy where non-caucasian people exist but aren't much present without being a racist.

Oct 25, 2017
Show also removed everything Slavic related but i guess nobody cares about that.

Signed Slavic person.
As somebody who isn't Slavic and thus probably doesn't recognize this, may I ask what you feel was lost in said adaptation? I feel the fantasy aspects were well translated, but i doubt i can clearly identify what is or isn't Slavic in nature.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You seem to be making a case for culture appropriation not to exist, I guess your logic is good to remember when a minority feels like their culture is being taken away from them. "Well it's not your culture anymore because we now consume it".
No. You seem to not understand what cultural appropriation is.

You should stop using the term. You are way off base.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You literally said:

Its not a strawman if you actually said that.
"As it stands today" is the important part of that phrase.

The Witcher is no longer just the original books. Today it is a worldwide franchise that is consumed and has been created and influenced by a worldwide audience. That does not erase its polish origins, just speaks to the reality of what the franchise is today.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the conservative Witcher game fans are triggered by the show.

One of the first responses from a buddy of mine when the cast pics first came out was "WHY IS TRISS BLACK"

Now that the show is out, he is saying "They made some choices I would not have, but overall the show is good."

AKA WHY IS TRISS BLACK

So. To answer your question, yes. They are triggered.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have friends that outright refuse to watch the show because there are PoC elves and Triss is black

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I don't really like fantasy is that it's usually an excuse to make everyone white and replace poc with weird creatures.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I don't really like fantasy is that it's usually an excuse to make everyone white and replace poc with weird creatures.
For real that is kinda why i never got into the genre, everything is based off Tolkien and everything becomes homogenized. Like Greemlerks from the 17th plane of Oplion are more believeable than a PoC with a sword or a staff? Nah at least in Scifi they let us fly the ship some times

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you have any sources for that?

Everything I can find paints the Chinese origin of Italian pasta as an long-enduring myth, not as a historical fact.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who isn't Slavic and thus probably doesn't recognize this, may I ask what you feel was lost in said adaptation? I feel the fantasy aspects were well translated, but i doubt i can clearly identify what is or isn't Slavic in nature.

First thing that you can notice easily is music, from OST itself to songs played by musicians in game. CDPR handled that part better, they even used some songs from region where i am from (Balkans). Second thing is casting (and i don't mean skin color) feels more Western European than Eastern and South-Eastern European. And i am talking about main characters, background characters (villagers) are as far as i know crew from Hungary where series was filmed among other locations. And architecture to some degree (also some things are authentic because they were filmed at real locations). And i guess i could say atmosphere, in general Eastern European way of shooting movies tends to show more desaturated tones and present things more let's say miserable and raw.

Oct 25, 2017
Diversity is good, but Triss she was a disappointment for me in the show.
Is Triss even black? She looks like a darker skinned white person to me.

Also her looks are fine imo, you get a good look at them in the last episode, but her acting needs a bit of work. She doesn't sell the role like Henry or even Anya do. Hopefully they are just growing pains and she'll get more into the role as the show continues.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any sources for that?

Everything I can find paints the Chinese origin of Italian pasta as an long-enduring myth, not as a historical fact.

" While we do think of pasta as a culturally Italian food, it is likely the descendent of ancient Asian noodles. "

" Noodles existed in Asia long before Polos trip to China. Archaeologists believe that central Asia is most likely the first area to have produced noodles thousands of years ago. From Asia, it traveled westward."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The "based on Polish Culture" thing was always something that was said by like people who, didn't really look into Polish culture...a ton of the witcher stories are reactive takes on existing fairy tales from completely different areas of Europe, not Poland. Factions like Nilfgaard are based on completely different cultures outside of Poland. Yes, by the time of the witcher 3, Poland and it's culture did have a direct influence on the world of the witcher as it exists in CDPR. But the book universe was very very different.

To bring the point home, this is literally a quote from the author.

""I've said it once, and I'll say it again: there is no deliberate world creation in my books! When it comes to the ontology of the entire civilization, it is rudimentary, subservient to the plot and only the plot. (…) My world is a pseudo-world, a mere background, a picture on a canvas moved by a reel. And it's justified – after all, the story in the books is about the fate of the characters, not about the fate of the world; the setting serves the plot, not the other way around.""

So kindly stop citing "But Polish culture" as an excuse to not include PoC in a fantasy series, because there's ALWAYS SOME EXCUSE to not include PoC. it's a symptom of a larger problem in media that needed to be dealt with.

1675.jpg

-Andrzej Sapkowski

Well damn... Thats straight from the authors mouth. People gonna spin this too?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
The argument 'this is based on Medieval Poland' doesn't stand to me. When you include fantasy elements like mutations, elves, space-time magic and what not you can as well take the freedom to 'inject' some diversity in the cast. They didn't but I don't feel like criticizing them.

Exactly. They chose to stay faithfull to books and world inspired by slavic/poland medievil culture. There is nothing wrong in there and people trying to find it are ti blame. Cdpr has made a lot of mistakes but witcher 3's representation aint one of them.

I wouldnt mind more poc characters in the next one, but I wont be mad if they choose to not include them.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Are the books diverse? Haven't read them.
No skin color is really mentioned 95% of the time, but it is mentioned that Zerrakanians (desert people) have dark skin. The main characters (Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer, triss) all have light colored skin. I think everything else is up to the users imagination of how the various nations are ethnically presented.

usually the argument people have that "they're all white" is that the northern kingdoms are loosely based off of feudal Poland/slovakia/Slavs, and it can be interpreted also that Nilfgaard is inspired by the Holy Roman Empire, Skellige inspired by Nordic countries, and Toussaint inspired by France. But it's only loosely inspired and is really just a fantasy world that can be interpreted however the reader pictures it.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
For real that is kinda why i never got into the genre, everything is based off Tolkien and everything becomes homogenized. Like Greemlerks from the 17th plane of Oplion are more believeable than a PoC with a sword or a staff? Nah at least in Scifi they let us fly the ship some times
Was actually going to make a thread about it after watching some episodes of the witcher show but knew it wouldn't end well.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
I think the argument of "inspired by medieval Poland" comes down to the naming conventions of some of the northern kingdoms as well as their cuisine - the series has excellent depictions of slavic-inspired cuisine. But that's really it. I personally love that the show is more diverse.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

If you want to get into fantasy that is not Tolkien based and is diverse, try out Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives. It's really mainstream and it is by a white author but nearly no (well, no main) characters in the series are "white"(the main cast's ethnicity is described as something that doesn't quite exist on earth but it would be something like Polynesian peopleish as the protagonists, save for one or two characters(one who is white and the other who is "well close enough to white"). No elves and stuff too, it's really original.

There's other fantasy that is really diverse too, but I'm going with that because it's my one of my favorite and the author just announced he finished the next book in the series.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

" While we do think of pasta as a culturally Italian food, it is likely the descendent of ancient Asian noodles. "

" Noodles existed in Asia long before Polos trip to China. Archaeologists believe that central Asia is most likely the first area to have produced noodles thousands of years ago. From Asia, it traveled westward."
But on the other hand, there is apparently evidence of pasta in Italy that predates Marco Polo. Natural Geographic writes that:
Pasta's ethnic roots have been long debated. Many theories have been put forward, some notably far-fetched. An enduring myth, based on the writings of the 13th-century explorer Marco Polo, that pasta was brought to Italy from China, rose from a misinterpretation of a famous passage in Polo's Travels. In it, Polo mentions a tree from which something like pasta was made. It was probably the sago palm, which produces a starchy food that resembles, but is not pasta. This food almost certainly reminded the Venetian traveler of the pasta of his home country. Even while Polo was away on his travels in the 1270s, there is a reference to a soldier in the northern Italian city of Genoa, who owned a basket of "macaronis." A century before, the Muslim geographer al-Idrisi wrote of seeing pasta produced on Sicily.

Wikipedia lists many more sources on this, making Pasta seem more like an example of convergent evolution than cultural import from China to Italy.

Last edited:

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
If you're interested there are some really really good fantasy series being published recently by POC based in fantasy worlds inspired by other cultures. Rage of Dragons is great, basically a fantasy Africa. There are a few very good Asian inspired ones as well. Fantasy as a whole has begun to grow out of the European mold the last 5ish years I'd say, it's exciting.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I saw more black people in 2 episodes of Witcher than the entire 8 seasons of GOT and all the gameplay I've ever seen of the Witcher Game.

The answer is extremely simple. The Netflix crew cared about adding POC to the production. If you actually care, you'll add diverse people to your creation.

This wasn't the case with the game or other fantasy works.

I wouldn't overthink it

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
But on the other hand, there is apparently evidence of pasta in Italy that predates Marco Polo. Natural Geographics write that:

Wikipedia lists many more sources on this, making Pasta seem more like an example of convergent evolution than cultural import from China to Italy.
I never claimed Marco Polo bring it to Italy. That may be the "myth" you are referring to.

Reality is that it was created in China and made its way around the world.

Now people incorrectly assume pasta was originated in Italy and view it as "Italian" culture.

From there it went further around the world, But we don't consider something like pirogues to be "Italian"

Culture is fluid. It's shared, it changes, it evolves.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019

A shift has happened in the past 20 years. Beginning with Octavia Butler's approach to speculative fiction (vampires & aliens & time travel & African Gods exist. How? She's not gonna explain the details, so just deal with it!) and what Nalo Hopkinson has done with magical realism + speculative fiction, we're seeing the breakthroughs.

Nnedi Okorafor has coined the term "Africanjujuism" to define what she's doing in her Ataka series.

I've already discussed Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood and Bone + Virtue and Vengeance on BlackEra.

Ebony Elizabeth Thomas ties many of these goings-ons with her term, the "Dark Fantastic," so that recalls the conditions where blackness appears in speculative fiction and fantasy, from black Guinevere in the TV show Merlin, to (black) Bonnie Bennet in Vampire Diaries.

So the future is bright going forward. I, too, never got into high fantasy, even with Salvatore's flawed Drizzt racial allegory for the reasons yall have discussed. But hey, if they can abra-kadabra, then incantations in Yoruba is fair game.

Omi, tutú, omi mì. Omi wa bà mi !

See also:

store.steampowered.com

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan on Steam

How do you stay a good person when you are surrounded by centuries of hatred and selfishness? Find your answers in one of the best gaming story ever written about bravery, love and legacy.