• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Edit:
I think people need to read the thread title more carefully I did not say CDPR ruined the Witcher series

I say They Ruined My Enthusiasm for the series.

I am not saying the works unrelated to them got worse somehow. I am saying Me personally as an individual am having a hard time wanting to engage in the Witcher at the moment.
Original Post

The plan once The Next Gen versions of the Witcher 3 was announced to explore the whole series [Books then games then Netflix show] and play 3 when the games updated. I already own Witcher 3 and both DLC.( I played 20 hours of Witcher 3 and it's dlc before stopping liked the characters and hated the combat.)

As the year went on It became increasingly clear Upper management of CDPR is really awful and transphobic. Cyberpunk went from a day 1 buy to a never purchase for me.

The thing is I still already own Witcher 3 and figure it's separate enough from cyberpunk for me to play.

A week ago I got The last wish from the library I started reading it and it's a cool book so far the problem is I keep getting distracted thinking about CDPR's awfulness. I keep seeing book Geralt in my brain the exact same way I see Game Geralt and my mind keeps wondering to the past Transgressions of the game company despite them having nothing to do with the books at all. I ended up returning the Book only 1/3 read.

If I can't even handle the books without getting upset there's no way will be able to handle the Games or the Netflix adaptation where the characters are designed to look like the game characters.
This is not me Boycotting (I already purchased 3) CDPR I just mentally get upset or Sad whenever I think about the company which will make playing the game or interacting with the Witcher series Impossible for the moment.

This has never happened to me like this before I can usually separate the art from the artist especially if the media is old, But for whatever reason I can't enjoy even tangentially related media to CDPR right Now.

Maybe with time I will be able to play the Witcher and read the books but probably not soon.

Anyone else Have a similar experience either with CDPR or some other Media were a creators actions made it hard to interact with things related to them?

Last edited:

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Seems irrational when the books have zero connection to CDPR or their management. The books are fantastic on their own. Netflix show not so much IMO but Cavill is very good.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I barely remember CDPR did The Witcher because of all the Cyberpunk news pushes to the forefront.

Miasma

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns; Antagonizing Fellow Member; Account in Junior Phase
No. I think you are blowing this way out of proportion and trying to start another witch hunt, all because its fashionable to hate on CDPR at the moment.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Seems irrational when the books have zero connection to CDPR or their management. The books are fantastic on their own. Netflix show not so much IMO but Cavill is very good.
I completely accept it being irrational. However If I get physically upset reading the books I can't enjoy them

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else Have a similar experience either with CDPR or some other Media were a creators actions made it hard to interact with things related to them?

Billy Corgan. Though the enormous merit of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness makes it possible, and necessary, for me to give him the benefit of a lot of doubts.

With regards to The Witcher. You're good. They (the books) were a thing before CDPR and hopefully they'll still be long after CDPR has ceased to be one.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Seeing as CDPR had absolutely zero effect or influence on the Witcher books, you're making zero sense.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix show is the most interesting fantasy production I've seen since.. I don't know, the first LOTR. Such a sneakily funny and thrilling thing, not self-serious but still affecting, funny in surprising ways, not prone to the same old fantasy performances but still great escapism

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
trying to start another witch hunt, all because its fashionable to hate on CDPR at the moment.
??????????
???????????
when have I ever started a witch hunt?

How is this post a witch hunt?

I am just venting about not being able to enjoy books I planned to read and games I planned to play/

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
No. I think you are blowing this way out of proportion and trying to start another witch hunt, all because its fashionable to hate on CDPR at the moment.
This, it seems a bit much. Just read the books or watch the show if you want, they've nothing to do with CDPR so seems weird to drag that into it

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
The books existed much, much earlier than the games (maybe even before CDPR), and by a different person. So change your mind and read them first. Then watch the series, it's remotely not as bad as it could be, imo. It's even good! Plus it's based on the books, not the games. As it should be, of course.

The games exist much later, both in real life and in the universe's timeline. They are literally fanfic sequels to the books, and the books' lore is way better.

Enjoy the books first from what they are, and then you can decide if you wanna try out the games or the show, also for what they are, but always as later media based on what they actually are and not the other way around.

I always say the books are better books than the game as games; so if people generally say the game is a very good game (TW3), imagine how I feel about the books. Or about the game, lol; but I enjoyed the games especially 3 (although admiteddly I think they are a bit overrated, with that gameplay and camera and such).

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people on era made them the de facto best devs in the industry after one GOTG game.

giphy.gif

Sep 11, 2020
For all it's worth it, The Witcher 3 is pretty much fanfiction. Sure, it's well written, and it uses the books' characters and world. But the atmosphere is completely different, the game is a HUGE thematic departure from the book series, and the way some characters act at times made it hard to believe the game is set a few years or decades after the last book.

I don't know if knowing that would help you with your problem, so ignore me if it doesn't.

And while, I've personally have never felt this way so I can't completely understand your position, I think you did the right thing not reading them. Reading something you don't want to never works well. Maybe in a few years you'll be able to enjoy them, so you can just wait. They're not going anywhere, and there is plenty of cool stuff to read in the meantime.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Overreacting.

The Witcher books and Netflix show has nothing to do with CDP.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to stop liking or enjoying art (book, movie, game or song) because the artists is a shitheel. Especially true of videogames that are a massive collective work where creatives have little say on the company's behavior/governance. I know it's easy to say separate the art from the artist but that applies here pretty well.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes our minds are weird. You get upset even though you know it's unreasonable and that impacts your enjoyment. It's unfortunate but I don't know if anything can be done about it. You realising it's unreasonable is a very good thing though, people in your situation often do not realise that which can lead to them lashing out unfairly.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, their fuck ups doesn't change how much I love the witcher universe and games. I'll buy cyberpunk once all the bugs are ironed out.

They need to get their shit together though thats for sure.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
that's a take.

Andrzej Sapkowski and Lauren Hissrich could not be more different and better than CDPR.
in fact CDPR being awful only gives me more value to Andrzej and Lauren Hissrich.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Billy Corgan. Though the enormous merit of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness makes it possible, and necessary, for me to give him the benefit of a lot of doubts.

With regards to The Witcher. You're good. They (the books) were a thing before CDPR and hopefully they'll still be long after CDPR has ceased to be one.

I'm totally there with you re BC. I just want him to be quiet. He doesn't need to say things. He just needsto not.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
This is the first anti-CDPR post I have ever made on Era and I only disapprove of upper management (who I did not name specific people at all.)

the op is just me is just me venting personally frustration at not enjoying the Witcher series do to a strong dislike of transphobia But apparently I am trying to start a witch hunt somehow ??????????????

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
you know its a common advice not to give in to internet hype so much? id say the same thing about internet hate, bacuse this is nonsensical.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Seems irrational when the books have zero connection to CDPR or their management.

looks to me like OP isn't calling for a boycott, and is merely lamenting how everything Witcher-related reminds them of how shitty CDPR is as a company

I feel similarly about, say, Devil May Cry's Dante voice actor/motion capture company owner being a conspiracy theorist who likely hates my mere existence. Just always serves as a downer any time I see stuff about DMC at all

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
This is the first anti-CDPR post I have ever made on Era and I only disapprove of upper management (who I did not name specific people at all.)

the op is just me is just me venting personally frustration at not enjoying the Witcher series do to a strong dislike of transphobia But apparently I am trying to start a witch hunt somehow ??????????????

Ease up on the ?s buddy.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Hey jman, nothing wrong with what you've said. If thinking about the Witcher verse brings bad feelings, it's a shame no matter where they come from.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I except being called irrational Because I myself believe there is a huge irrational element to my thought.

But being accused of witch hunting and aggression when I have been completely cordial is weird.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
OP since I assume you won't be reading The Witcher anymore, I feel like recommending another fantasy series, Steel and Fire by Jordan Rivet. Read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am legit confused at some peoples post. the extra ????? is because I am more confused than a single ?
The books are not affiliated with CDPR. The show is based off the books - again, not affiliated with CDPR. If you can't enjoy the Witcher lore because of CDPR's recent downfall, then no one is stopping you, but the logic doesn't really make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you should put that out of your mind. The books and show aren't the same as the game and CDPR are not involved and best to compartmentalise those separately. Personally, I significantly prefer the show and books to the game which I think in certain areas is greatly overhyped; I've spoken about some of my issues on it in the past on here, but will leave it at that. But I respect that people have their love of it.

Anyway wrapping back, no OP I think calling this a witch hunt is complete hyperbole, you are not the only person who feels a sense of disconnection from a piece of media that largely was popularised by a company that is following questionable practice. While some may see that as irrational, humans are allowed to be led by a 'feeling'. If you don't feel good reading the book or watching the series and you can't enjoy it anymore don't until such a time; if ever, you do feel good engaging with the content again. You are, as we all are, allowed to feel a certain way about this.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on era made them the de facto best devs in the industry after one GOTG game.

giphy.gif

It's quite a feat, beating out devs like Nintendo, Rockstar, and FromSoft to make the best game of a generation. You can even see in Cyberpunk 2077 where some of the CDPR magic is there, just outweighed by bugs, rushed development, and a lack of deeper understanding of the source material. But yeah, we probably shouldn't have been so quick to crown CDPR, in retrospect.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
you know its a common advice not to give in to internet hype so much? id say the same thing about internet hate, bacuse this is nonsensical.
Baffles me honestly. Part of me wishes there was much more transparency though after a game is announced. Like, if I were a game dev I'd spend literally 20 minutes making caveats fo the audience and recommending they not preorder.

Like, hey this game doesn't exist on console so shutup about it being downgraded. It doesn't exist. The game isn't focused onhaving great gameplay but great visuals and cutscenes so please don't issue any death threats against us. We have no idea when the game is coming out so please don't speculate and put more pressure on us. Please. All that matters is the safety of the team. I wish devs would just say that

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, like others said books and show have nothing to do with CDPR. I really enjoyed the show and look forward to season 2.
Now as a fan of Witcher 3 and someone who's had it with CDPR and their bullshit, I plan to never buy anything from them until they reform the company, both in terms of the rampant bigotry and workplace practices.

What I think is an interesting ethical conundrum is the next-gen patch for Witcher 3. It's supposedly going to be free, so you won't enrich them any further by downloading it, but the work is being done by someone, and going by CDPR management's history, that someone is almost certainly underpaid and overworked.

But no, I don't share your feelings on the books and show at all.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at people telling you how to feel and that you're irrational.
This is exactly their point: the imagery of the Witcher that CDPR has created and all the controversies surrounding the studio is affecting their perception of the books and the series (that latter being inspired by the game). I think that's a quite normal psychological reaction.
i found it weird when they marketed Witcher 3 by saying that it even has racism. It's a card CDPR has played for a while now and it certainly is affecting the perception of them and the brands they are affiliated with.