• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
www.courthousenews.com

Foe of ‘Tiger King’ Zookeeper Granted Oklahoma Property

A federal judge granted Carole Baskin’s Big Cat Rescue control Monday of imprisoned reality TV star Joe Exotic’s former zoo properties in Oklahoma, finding they were fraudulently transferred to avoid paying her under a $1 million trademark judgment.

OKLAHOMA CITY (CN) — A federal judge granted Carole Baskin's Big Cat Rescue control Monday of imprisoned reality TV star Joe Exotic's former zoo properties in Oklahoma, finding they were fraudulently transferred to avoid paying her under a $1 million trademark judgment.
U.S. District Judge Scott L. Palk in Oklahoma City ruled the Tampa-based Big Cat Rescue "has sufficiently traced funds to allow for the imposition of a constructive trust" under state law regarding the 16.4-acre Wynnewood property formerly owned by Joseph Allen Maldonado-Passage aka Exotic .
"Big Cat Rescue's constructive trust and equitable lien in and to the buildings shall survive any physical or title transfer of the building and shall follow any proceeds, except as to a good faith purchased for value," the 11-page order states.
Big Cat Rescue sued Exotic's mother Shirley M. Schreibvogel in 2016, claiming fraudulent transfer of the property featured in Netflix's "Tiger King" docuseries.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Isn't it long closed down with no animals? It's effectively just land.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm pretty sure all the animals have been moved to the new zoo site. So while a victory, a hollow one.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I thought it had just reopened during the pandemic? There was a thread with pictures of kids with baby tigers and huge crowds not wearing masks.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how many cats are there at this point.

regardless of what i think about these apeshit people my takeaway is you can't really run these places with more than 10-20 tigers and the profit is front loaded with the babies/younger cats so it's a death treadmill by design (though in the abstract same could be said of all zoos)

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
i wonder how many cats are there at this point.

regardless of what i think about these apeshit people my takeaway is you can't really run these places with more than 10-20 tigers and the profit is front loaded with the babies/younger cats so it's a death treadmill by design (though in the abstract same could be said of all zoos)
Carole doesn't allow handling of Tigers, she runs a USDA approved and inspected sanctuary

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man you just know Joe is going to be livid when he hears this lmao. Good news though. Now they need to get Jeff Lowe and throw him in prison.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good thing good for the animals, but man is Carole also a bad character with a ton of skeletons in her closet, everything surrounding the disappearance of her husband and the changes to the will is suspicious as hell.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL Jeff Lowe snitched again or what?

By the end of the year Carole Baskin will blame her husband's death on institutional racism.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good thing good for the animals, but man is Carole also a bad character with a ton of skeletons in her closet, everything surrounding the disappearance of her husband and the changes to the will is suspicious as hell.

It's all hearsay versus the laundry list of crimes Joe and his convict business partners have pulled.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Now with even more cool cats and kittens!

This is good. Regardless of what you think of her, this is best for the animals. The documentary purposefully didn't show it but she takes a lot better care of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Lets not applaud this woman for this "win". The animals might get treated better but she's still essentially running a MLM and getting free labor from people to satisfy her tiger fetish

Nov 14, 2017
I think it's worth remembering that everything we heard about Baskin's former husband is that he was extremely controlling. In fact, given how he controlled money, hid it from Carol, and threatened to leave her penniless then I think it's likely his behaviour would meet the standard for what we would now consider coercive control.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly fine with this. Carole is a suspect person (albeit less so than everyone else involved with that damn zoo) and her treatment of her volunteers is not great, but at least those animals will be better cared for.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
So it looks like Carol just got the property itself, not the animals in it. Lowe has a few months to move the animals and vacate the premises.