• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware of his AI stuff.

I'm just clearing up the being involved stuff. Noticed I didn't say anything about building a new engine. But it could be anything. It could be consulting, creative, and not take away from his research.

The man can multitask obviously. And this is not a binary.
It seems we are misunderstanding each other. I said he wasn't leaving Facebook to get back into video games, which is what people in this thread were saying. That would be a huge step back from General AI, going full time video games. You disagreed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It seems we are misunderstanding each other. I said he wasn't leaving Facebook to get back into video games, which is what people in this thread were saying. That would be a huge step back from General AI, going full time video games. You disagreed.
We are.

I didn't see this as him going full time into video games, just doing consulting work. The man loves to be busy.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Wow. Not putting straight white men constitute "design concessions". Putting non-white, non-straight, non-male protagonist/playable characters in typical genre titles as well atypical ones so that white men may walk in the shoes of all other minorities who walk in theirs in a multibillion dollar industry, eclipsing even movies, is "playing politics". I suppose it is "playing politics" and so was the prior status quo of largely having straight white men. Of course, coming from him and his ilk, it is meant as a derogatory term intended to disparage anything that veers from their notion of said status quo, wholesale.

Speaks to white privilege endemic to western society at large but which was (and to an extent still is) very much pronounced gaming industry for the longest time comprising of few very influential people dissociated from reality.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Lol, that's endearing.

This also might make a huge amount of sense as far as partnerships go. Microsoft has huge investments and is near the forefront of AI tech, including in gaming. Although people think Xbox hates VR or something, Microsoft as a company still has significant investments (and ongoing support) in mixed reality content and hardware, and how that integrates with all sorts of other things, as well. There's a lot that a company like MS could provide Carmack with in a lab. (Not necessarily a studio)

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Microsoft has a huge open source initiative going on right now, so it would be cool if Carmack rejoins and does this. This also reminds me that Microsoft now owns a big time proprietary engine that could be used across their studios which is something I hadn't thought of. idTech is really neat.
Does that even extend to their game projects, and not simply their applications?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Get Carmack, give him Quake to play with. Get Trent and Gordon to do the music.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Even if there is no bad blood between MS and Carmack, Carmack was accused and sued for theft of intellectual property by Zenimax, and that's gotta be a hard thing to have on your resume when shopping around for jobs in the same industry. I'd like to see him back working on DOOM, but I also wonder how id would feel about it after him kind of ditching them for Occulus/FB.

Ridiculous take. Carmack is not in a position where he needs to shop around for jobs.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I listened to his Oculus connect keynote today. He's obviously frustrated with the bureaucracy at Facebook and the number of competing teams and services that are impacting on the overall product quality. Seems like a 'do things right but get them done' kinda guy. Who wouldn't want someone like that on the team?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly certain he was talking about doing official VR support for the open source stuff he has out there.

Dr. Beef has basically gotten Quest ports for all the ID games through Doom 3.

He was asked about this in the Venues talk:

youtu.be

John Carmack - Special Horizon Chat || Facebook Connect

I had the absolute honor of being able to join Oculus Developer and all-around brilliant human being John Carmack and a small group of others in Facebook Hor...

He e-mailed Zenimax to ask if he could work on the project. Since it was open source, he didn't think it was legally required, but he contacted them regardless. He got no response, so he didn't join the project in order to shield them. But he talked about how it'd be awesome to have these games on the official store.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody can work on a tech demo alone these days.
As long as we're talking just prototypes and not actually usable stuff, never understimate a sufficiently determined single programmer

Programming scales LIKE SHIT. 100 programmers on a project is MAYBE 10x the output of 10, and that's a very strong maybe
(I'm talking about small domain stuff, obviously - not things you can easily divide in subprocjets)
(a renderer core is one of these things)

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
mil72ei6gjo51.jpg

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain he was talking about doing official VR support for the open source stuff he has out there.

Dr. Beef has basically gotten Quest ports for all the ID games through Doom 3.

He was asked about this in the Venues talk:

youtu.be

John Carmack - Special Horizon Chat || Facebook Connect

I had the absolute honor of being able to join Oculus Developer and all-around brilliant human being John Carmack and a small group of others in Facebook Hor...

He e-mailed Zenimax to ask if he could work on the project. Since it was open source, he didn't think it was legally required, but he contacted them regardless. He got no response, so he didn't join the project in order to shield them. But he talked about how it'd be awesome to have these games on the official store.
Yup it's this.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020

The man is a robot.
I recall the story in Masters of Doom where a child psychologist commented that he had no empathy and was a computer on legs or something.
I hope this doesn't come off as excusing his behavior but his perception of the world in some regards is...suboptimal, especially more so with our more inclusive mindset.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Carmack to me comes across as someone who is so intelligent and knowledgeable that he can't properly relate to other people. It probably doesn't help that he's always looked like how movies and tv shows would portray a "super evil computer nerd kid" character in the 1990s. I'd love it if he returned to the industry, but he's probably over it when more important endeavors are potentially open to him.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
The man is a robot.
I recall the story in Masters of Doom where a child psychologist commented that he had no empathy and was a computer on legs or something.
I hope this doesn't come off as excusing his behavior but his perception of the world in some regards is...suboptimal, especially more so with our more inclusive mindset.

Lol, I was going to bring up the same quote. If I remember it was "a brain on legs" right?

The dude's brain doesn't work like a normal persons. It doesn't excuse his poor politics or views, but the dude doesn't function the same way normal people do. He has a lot of signs of Asperger's.

Dec 26, 2019
As long as we're talking just prototypes and not actually usable stuff, never understimate a sufficiently determined single programmer

Programming scales LIKE SHIT. 100 programmers on a project is MAYBE 10x the output of 10, and that's a very strong maybe
(I'm talking about small domain stuff, obviously - not things you can easily divide in subprocjets)
(a renderer core is one of these things)
And you underestimate the complexities of modern rendering pipelines. Nanite took Epic years with dozens of programmers.

There are no one man shows anymore.

Also lots of what Carmack is credited for isn't even his work, e.g. large amounts of the practical Megatexture implementation was largely written by JMP van Waveren (may he rest in peace). Or the Quake software renderer was Michael Abrash. Even back then he wasn't the one single dude doing everything.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you underestimate the complexities of modern rendering pipelines. Nanite took Epic years with dozens of programmers.

There are no one man shows anymore.

Also lots of what Carmack is credited for isn't even his work, e.g. large amounts of the practical Megatexture implementation was largely written by JMP van Waveren (may he rest in peace). Or the Quake software renderer was Michael Abrash. Even back then he wasn't the one single dude doing everything.
In making useful code?
Certainly not

In making limited-scope proof-of-concepts for features?
Sometimes. Rarely, but from the limited knowledge i have of operations on that scale, it's still possible

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Lol, I was going to bring up the same quote. If I remember it was "a brain on legs" right?

The dude's brain doesn't work like a normal persons. It doesn't excuse his poor politics or views, but the dude doesn't function the same way normal people do. He has a lot of signs of Asperger's.
I said the same for Phil Fish and got lambasted. But anyone who watched the indie game movie should find it obvious. Unfortunately the biggest talents often have an addictive mentality that causes them to be so completely obsessive about their work from a young age, that they spend so little time in the real world integrating and engaging with society. It's no excuse for the resulting and often shocking terrible opinions and beliefs, but it's merely an explanation. They do need to be called out though.