• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I loved it, but goddamn. How much MCU is too much MCU. I respect the fact that they are not going to slow the movies down to explain shit, but it seems like they've gone the opposite direction...it felt like the movie was continually winking and providing fanservice at me. Could be my own personal issue tho.

That said, very solid. I think Marvel has the formula down now where the days of Thor 2's are over. While this isn't the upper echelon of Marvel movies, its a great fucking beginning and im excited to see where they take the character post Endgame.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Imo what makes a critic good is if they're able to have takes on movies other than "this was good/bad"

There's some famous quote or something that says "Being a critic isn't about having an opinion, it's about being able to defend it". So many of these YouTube reviewers just spend ten minutes nitpicking plot holes and pacing issues. It's not good criticism. That's stuff that anybody can pick out.

I quite like Chris Stuckmann but I think that's one of his big problems - he can spend minutes of his review hung up on minor details and often ignores the overall heft and craft of the movie. It's frustrating.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Decent film. I haven't seen all that many Marvel movies but I'd put it on the lower end. The 90s nostalgia went a bit overboard.

It's worth seeing, if only because she's going to play a big part in Endgame.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I'm really excited to see what the Russos do with her in Endgame, specifically the depiction of her powerset. They seem to really understand how to convey the uniqueness of various superheroes.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My go to critics didn't like it. They were clearly saying the main actress was the problem without actually saying it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moviebob's review, actually ended up echoing most of my praises and complaints

+ Brie Larson is great in the role as Captain Marvel
+ De-aging technology is amazing
+ Brie Larson's interplay with Lashana Lynch feels so joyful that the movie could've used even more of it
+ Samuel Jackson's performance is great (as well as his chemistry with Larson), so is Ben Mendehlson and Jude Law
+ Overall loved the movie the more he thought about it

- Continues Marvel's streak of "good protags, ineffectual bad guys" which he admits has become a really cynical production tactic that guarantees audiences to stick around for future installments
- World building is on the weaker side
- Less time building up certain characters means the final confrontation lacks a bit of investment in the personal stakes

7/10

I like these two opening paragraphs by the way.

A certain stripe of critic likes to complain that the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies adhere too rigidly to formula. I think they're reacting more to how similar the reviews end up being than to how similar the films actually are. There are a handful of standouts like The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, the Captain America sequels and Thor: Ragnarok, but most of the MCU features are are solid B-plus films that may rise or fall in one's personal estimation based on your particular like or dislike for an actor, concept, sub-genre or theme.

But otherwise, if someone says "Captain Marvel is your basic Marvel origin movie, and one of the good ones" you know what they mean. It's a fun, comfy, mid-tier action blockbuster built around an agreeable performance by an overqualified supporting cast and a compelling lead actor you wouldn't necessarily expect to be blowing stuff up with laser fists. It gets a little long in Act 2. It's really good when it's an easygoing dialogue-driven character piece and sci-fi inflected morality play, and not as good when it's doing world building housekeeping for interchangeable plot widgets that even the other movies don't pretend actually matter anymore.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This implied that the person I was responding to was wanting Disney to shape there PR around the negative Feedback. Again go back and read the thread.

... No, he wasn't. He was accusing Disney of doing that and saying they should rethink it.

You should probably not tell others they're jumping into a convo and to go back and read it if you yourself didn't. :P

the person you're talking about said:
I hope Disney is going to reflect on their PR antics because they've clearly caused more harm than good.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I honestly don't get the complaints about Brie Larson's performance. It seems to be quite divisive, with most praising her as a highlight and others saying she was probably the weakest link.

Personally, I feel like a lot of people who blame Brie Larson's performance probably just wouldn't be fans of the character in the first place - combine that with some people automatically dismissing her performance because of her "ideals" or whatever. However, I think that the talk that she's miscast will be thrown out the door completely when Endgame comes around.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The user reviews are going to be so damaging, it's already looking quite average from the professional critics, but the user reviews on imdb and metacritic is going to turn a lot of people away from this film.

I hope Disney is going to reflect on their PR antics because they've clearly caused more harm than good.

they can't hear you over the $150 mil OW this movie is gonna have

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
... No, he wasn't. He was accusing Disney of doing that and saying they should rethink it.

You should probably not tell others they're jumping into a convo and to go back and read it if you yourself didn't. :P
Wait, he was clearly saying there PR antics cause more harm than good. What do you think those antics were that he implied?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want more Goose. He's so adorable, and had the best reactions from the crowd.

The movie was fine. A 7/10 from me. The first 20-30 minutes were rough, but it got way better after that. Action needed better editing. You could barely understand what was going on.

Brie was great though.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
My go to critics didn't like it. They were clearly saying the main actress was the problem without actually saying it.

Ouch. My kids and I don't really have much interest in this but don't want to go into Endgame not seeing it. Probably catch an early showing in a few weeks. Not putting down 40-50 bucks for this

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Then:
bandicam-2019-03-08-13-20-11-521.png

Now:
bandicam-2019-03-08-13-22-56-610.png

RT removed a ton of user ratings. Also, imdb for comparison:

bandicam-2019-03-08-13-59-15-346.png

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting how imdb seems to be more immune to review bombing. Lots of movies youd think would have a horrible rating like the last Jedi dont

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I honestly don't get the complaints about Brie Larson's performance. It seems to be quite divisive, with most praising her as a highlight and others saying she was probably the weakest link.

Personally, I feel like a lot of people who blame Brie Larson's performance probably just wouldn't be fans of the character in the first place - combine that with some people automatically dismissing her performance because of her "ideals" or whatever. However, I think that the talk that she's miscast will be thrown out the door completely when Endgame comes around.

People saying she's robotic crack me up because, no shit, that's the point. That she's slowly regaining her humanity as the film goes on. So that by the end she's embracing her humanity and her emotions instead of being a rigid Kree soldier. They stripped the humanity from her, the film is about her getting it back.

As such, Larson is great.

And man, the Endgame booking is perfect. Carol is going to fuck Thanos up.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just came back from watching it. It was fine. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I actually went going in thinking we were going to get another Henry Cavil situation. I absolutely hated his Superman. I guess the movie just didn't click for me. It felt like Thor 1 levels of quality. Brie just didn't feel memorable to me. I hope later movies prove me wrong but maybe this is the first casting marvel has gotten wrong.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
bandicam-2019-03-08-20-19-20-236.png

No longer in the 80s, I predicted it would get under 80& in the long run weeks ago. While this officially makes it the lowest rated Phase 3 movie with a 6.7 average it still did well and this marks Phase 3 as the 1st Phase to have all certified fresh movies in the MCU(so far, but Endgame will probably be certified fresh).

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Just came back from watching it. It was fine. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I actually went going in thinking we were going to get another Henry Cavil situation. I absolutely hated his Superman. I guess the movie just didn't click for me. It felt like Thor 1 levels of quality. Brie just didn't feel memorable to me. I hope later movies prove me wrong but maybe this is the first casting marvel has gotten wrong.

Sounds like I was right then in my initial feelings of Brie being cast as CAPTAIN MARVEL. In the trailers she just came off as bored, and not owning the role. and that might be because of writing and direction. Which seems to be all over the place from what other reviews are saying.

Also don't know if any of the rumors are true about Russos originally having a draft/version of the film without captain marvel and that this was forced into End game.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Also don't know if any of the rumors are true about Russos originally having a draft/version of the film without captain marvel and that this was forced into End game.
Considering there was chatter about adding Captain Marvel into the mix since before Age of Ultron I'm gonna go ahead and say that is a load of bollocks, frankly.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm still not sold on Brie as Carol. Her quips landed really flat for me. I laughed at Fury and Talos, but never Carol. I dunno. Something about her was just off. It's weird because I know Brie is a fantastic actress, so I dunno what the deal is here. Maybe the direction?

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like I was right then in my initial feelings of Brie being cast as CAPTAIN MARVEL. In the trailers she just came off as bored, and not owning the role. and that might be because of writing and direction. Which seems to be all over the place from what other reviews are saying.

That latter part is absolutely not true, what in the hell.

Captain Marvel has been in play to come into the MCU since 2012. She was originally going to appear in Age of Ultron - but it was deemed too soon for her. She was always going to be part of Endgame. Always.

That "rumor" was started by people who absolutely hate Brie Larson and are determined to create this narrative that she's somehow ruining the MCU.

Having seen the film, personally, I thought Brie was great as Captain Marvel despite the directors having the usual hiccups for indie filmmakers going into a big medium like this.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it and the film was very well received here. Claps and hollars. I really liked it too. I didn't find her dull at all, can't wait for end game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That latter part is absolutely not true, what in the hell.

Captain Marvel has been in play to come into the MCU since 2012. She was originally going to appear in Age of Ultron - but it was deemed too soon for her. She was always going to be part of Endgame. Always.

That "rumor" was started by people who absolutely hate Brie Larson and are determined to create this narrative that she's somehow ruining the MCU.

Having seen the film, personally, I thought Brie was great as Captain Marvel despite the directors having the usual hiccups for indie filmmakers going into a big medium like this.

I heard the banter between her and fury is great. Which is why Im seeing it sunday. I've heard there's ear;y 90's xfiles vibes to it. Does suck that it feels disjointed because the directors are not use to this kind of scale. Other reviewers have said it feels almost like it's a TV episode in how it's edited?

Does it jump around a lot when trying to convey skrulls/kree stuff?

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the banter between her and fury is great. Which is why Im seeing it sunday. I've heard there's ear;y 90's xfiles vibes to it. Does suck that it feels disjointed because the directors are not use to this kind of scale. Other reviewers have said it feels almost like it's a TV episode in how it's edited?

Does it jump around a lot when trying to convey skrulls/kree stuff?
Yess it definitely gave me the xfiles vibes..the beginning feels like a mystery reveling. Her interactions with fury are amazing

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Just watched the movie and I really liked it! Carol wasn't boring to me and I enjoyed the rest of the cast. Talos, Goose, Maria, and Minn-Erva were highlights. And seeing Fury so cheery and upbeat was odd lol

I did have problems with it. I felt the action sequences were too choppy and really dark. And maybe the script could have flowed better.

Carol gets a really nice hero moment towards the end I appreciated though. All in all, now I am really hype for Endgame!

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yess it definitely gave me the xfiles vibes..the beginning feels like a mystery reveling. Her interactions with fury are amazing

Damn! Sold. I grew up on scully and mulder. So if the first act is mainly this then I think I'll like it. I heard the action is kind of so/so? Is that more or less limitation of budget or directors not having a lot of experience doing a film of this size?

Just watched the movie and I really liked it! Carol wasn't boring to me and I enjoyed the rest of the cast. Talos, Goose, Maria, and Minn-Erva were highlights. And seeing Fury so cheery and upbeat was odd lol

I did have problems with it. I felt the action sequences were too choppy and really dark. And maybe the script could have flowed better.

Carol gets a really nice hero moment towards the end I appreciated though. All in all, now I am really hype for Endgame!

Alot of people who I listen too review wise, say it lands in the phase 1 film category of marvel films would you agree? Like along the lines of the First Thor movie?

Oct 2, 2018
She's perfectly fine in the role much better than that horrible actress cast as the phoenix in the xmen reboot who is borderline unwatchable.

It's a perfectly fine movie. I enjoyed it probably more than Antman 2 to be honest. I actually think I laughed harder at this and enjoyed it more.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Damn! Sold. I grew up on scully and mulder. So if the first act is mainly this then I think I'll like it. I heard the action is kind of so/so? Is that more or less limitation of budget or directors not having a lot of experience doing a film of this size?

Alot of people who I listen too review wise, say it lands in the phase 1 film category of marvel films would you agree? Like along the lines of the First Thor movie?

It's no worse than say Doctor Strange or The First Avenger in my opinion (and I really enjoy the film) but I don't think it's on the level of the First Thor at all.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
One thing though.. Marvel really needs to give ILM more time and money. It's crazy how bad the cgi is at times. CGI Brie Larson is Black Panther level bad.. maybe worse

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
One thing though.. Marvel really needs to give ILM more time and money. It's crazy how bad the cgi is at times. CGI Brie Larson is Black Panther level bad.. maybe worse

Yeah. I kind of chalked that up to maybe all of the FX teams were too busy working on Endgame? Even the stark contrast between BP and Infinity War kind of led me to infer that.

Feb 10, 2018
It's great movie about on par with guardians 1.
My only nit pick is sometimes is that Brie Larsons acting does seem a bit scripted at times, weather that's a direction flaw or something else I don't know.
However she is overall very good and a great marvel character.
9/10

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Saw it tonight... enjoyed it, and so did the missus.

I haven't seen any of the trailers or read any of the angsty bullshit from online before going in, so maybe I was easier on it than the internet hardknocks would like me to be?

* shrug *

Good fun / 10. I was actually really impressed by how few times the de-aging stuff took me out of the moment.