• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
Better script and director would do wonders with Brie's talent. Action and the movie in general was bland.

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Better script and director would do wonders with Brie's talent. Action and the movie in general was bland.
I think Brie is really flat in this and they are the main cause. Do we know what past project did those 2 director do ?
the comparison is really huge between them vs coogler / taika

I have no doubt the Russos will do Brie justice in Endgame

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it. The action and the emotion of the film were well done. Brie and Sam L. had great chemistry with each other.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that that thought Carol and Maria

Were totally co-parenting lovers raising a kid together pre dont ask don't tell so Carol was "auntie Carol" instead of mom because they ain't want the military to fuck up their careers plus they lived in a racist/homophobic as fuck deep south? Oh I am? Ok then bye

GOD YES

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
So...we're going to have to wait until the sequel before
we get to see Kamala Khan in the MCU since Carol hasn't been on Earth for decades and thus hasn't been a huge inspiration for her, right? Also Wolverine isn't in the MCU yet either.
i kinda think they'll save ms marvel for the threequel because it seemed like they were setting up the sequel to be about carol finding the skrulls a home and still set in the past. although i really hope i'm wrong and they follow the formula of the other captain movie

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Were totally co-parenting lovers raising a kid together pre dont ask don't tell so Carol was "auntie Carol" instead of mom because they ain't want the military to fuck up their careers plus they lived in a racist/homophobic as fuck deep south? Oh I am? Ok then bye

I mean I expect tumblr to run with it this way, so you're certainly not alone in this reading.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
7/10 for me. Every move in the film was predictable, and when your main character is invincible, it kills any kind of meaningful stakes or tension in the film.

At least superman has kryptonite.

If she's the one who ends up taking down Thanos in End Game I'm not gonna be happy. Spend a decade building a cinematic universe only to have deus ex marvel come in to save the day at the 11th hour.

Humour was alright. Music was 90s goodness but not done as masterfully as guardians.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you know what i find funny about the complains about carol being a deus ex machina?

tha nobody complained about Thor having stormbreaker as an upgrade.

like literally, if he could have forged stormbreaker on ragnarok,

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
you know what i find funny about the complains about carol being a deus ex machina?

Yeah, but they've established that gods can be killed on screen - so upgrade or not, there's still a risk of failure. Here, she's just blowing shit up with no consequence. And breathing in space without a mask, apparently.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but they've established that gods can be killed on screen - so upgrade or not, there's still a risk of failure. Here, she's just blowing shit up with no consequence. And breathing in space without a mask, apparently.
Carol blows up the spaceship drive as a sacrifice with no expectation that she would survive. It takes immense lifesaving treatment using advanced technology to save her life and results in her being made into a slave soldier for six years and losing her identity. Is that not consequence enough?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

yeah yeah, there is always a reason why the boys did it, but there is never reason enough for the girls for doing it

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It makes no sense to get bent out of shape for Carol being a deus ex machina because defeating Thanos is not the goal of Endgame. Undoing the Snap is and you can't brute force your way through that.

Oct 26, 2017
It makes no sense to get bent out of shape for Carol being a deus ex machina because defeating Thanos is not the goal of Endgame. Undoing the Snap is and you can't brute force your way through that.
Yeah. Agreed. We have already seen that Thor can stomp Thanos ass. Doesn't matter we have another strong character who can smack him around.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carol's never shown to be invincible either, though. She's still human.

Until one of the heroes in these Marvel movies actually fails and/or dies, I'm not sure how you can argue that there is a legitimate dramatic risk of failure in any of them. Captain America is vulnerable to bullets but he's never going to get hit by them because everybody aims for his shield.....and if he throws his shield they miss or stop shooting. He's arguably just as invincible as Captain Marvel, in the sense that the writers are never going to allow him to come to any serious harm.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
7/10 for me. Every move in the film was predictable, and when your main character is invincible, it kills any kind of meaningful stakes or tension in the film.

At least superman has kryptonite.

If she's the one who ends up taking down Thanos in End Game I'm not gonna be happy. Spend a decade building a cinematic universe only to have deus ex marvel come in to save the day at the 11th hour.

Humour was alright. Music was 90s goodness but not done as masterfully as guardians.
How can everything be predictable? Like,
the main twist isn't really telegraphed and runs fairly counter to the comic book expectation as well.

All told even knowing it's an origin story, the structure of this one is quite different from your run of the mill origin. I don't think it was AMAZING, solid 7.5-8/10 for me, but it's far from predictable in the standard origin story manner, other than 'you already know from pop culture vaguely her background' which is kind of impossible to be objective about.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They can still avenge these people, but yeah, the main stake of Endgame is "how do we turn this shit into that one winning scenario where we bring everyone back".

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused, they mentioned they were 24 hours from earth in the other planet. The closest star is 4 light years. So somehow there a distance of 24 hour so between earth and the other solar system. So they are already faster than light. And throughout this universe it has been shown that they can travel between systems within hours. So why is a light speed engine important?

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
my thoughts exactly
there's nothing i felt that popped or was truly great , everything was mostly decent or okay
cinematography , fair and competent
action, decent
acting was fine,
i think krees and 90s could have been used to make a more unique film

i dunno nothing was woahhh for throughout

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

She does put on her mask when it space, but I guess that like Thor, she can survive for a while without it.

I mean, Thor survived drifting in space during half of Infinity War. And so far, we've only seen other gods being able to kill Asgardians and other gods.

It's pretty obvious that Captain Marvel is going to see a true rival in Thanos and Thor when it comes to power. Or against other powerful characters in the MCU later on. Galactus? Annihilus?

Again, this movie was indeed made knowing that Endgame was going to proceed it, so it knows that audiences will see CM facing the most powerful foes with her true power in the MCU just a month and a half later. So this movie took its time.

Just like we saw Thor only really being fully powered at the end in his first movie, or Cap 1 in his, or Dr. Strange only at the end or in Infinity War. That formula doesn't make for the best origin movies in the MCU, but it's the best for the long run plans Marvel has for their characters in the franchise as a whole.

Black Panther had the advantage of being introduced in Civil War, so it was easier to do a lot of worldbuilding and villain development in his own movie —not to take away credit from what Ryan Coogler achieved.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Very good movie. I love how they used how unknown she is to give us a mystery. Is she a Kree? Is she human? Was she a Kree pretending to be human? And throw in a twist or two beyond that. And Marvel, as usual, knows that movies are character-driven, even more so than story-driven, (though the story was fine), and keeps the characters shining.

On the downside, the action sequences were poor, especially for Marvel, who've given us some of the greatest. The best fight scene in the movie was the so-so training session in the beginning. The hand-to-hand parts, and even the big fight at the end looked stilted, and there was nothing to leave us emotionally impressed with Carol's power. Intellectually, I suppose, but there was not even one punch or blast that really looked impactful, not even the big finish. I assume we were supposed to leave the film thinking "with Captain Marvel in the fight, Thanos is in trouble", but nope.

But the new characters are good additions, the retrofitting worked, and Marvel has no doubt turned another C-tier character into a household name.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think Brie is really flat in this and they are the main cause. Do we know what past project did those 2 director do ?
the comparison is really huge between them vs coogler / taika

I have no doubt the Russos will do Brie justice in Endgame

Larson comes on over the course of the movie,
but honestly other than the Long Kiss Goodnight and maybe the Bourne Identity I can't really think of an amnesiac movie where the main performance hasn't been stilted during the amnesiac phase. It's one of those narrative tropes which is overplayed and very difficult to do well.

My main issues with the direction in this film is actually more to do with the action, it's pretty muddled in places.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused, they mentioned they were 24 hours from earth in the other planet. The closest star is 4 light years. So somehow there a distance of 24 hour so between earth and the other solar system. So they are already faster than light. And throughout this universe it has been shown that they can travel between systems within hours. So why is a light speed engine important?

Well, they use jump points to travel large distances between galaxies and solar systems. That, plus... who knows? to travel between planets. I actually had this complaint after Guardians of the Galaxy, and people looked at me like I was crazy lol. Like I was dumb to care about that.

So maybe the "light-speed" engine is something that will allow them to travel great distances without the need for jump points, or maybe travel faster between jump points. It's one of the world building things the movie doesn't do right, but that's been my complaint about Cosmic Marvel since Guardians.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well, they use jump points to travel large distances between galaxies and solar systems. That, plus... who knows? to travel between planets. I actually had this complaint after Guardians of the Galaxy, and people looked at me like I was crazy lol. Like I was dumb to care about that.

So maybe the "light-speed" engine is something that will allow them to travel great distances without the need for jump points, or maybe travel faster between jump points. It's one of the world building things the movie doesn't do right, but that's been my complaint about Cosmic Marvel since Guardians.
It was laid out in Guardians 2 that Jump points are used to hop from System to System roughly, judging by the number of jumps Rocket/Yondu do to get from the Crash Site planet to Ego. Keep in mind that even with these it's implied that they have designated open/shut points as otherwise one could reasonably make a trip in one jump.

I'd imagine that for inter System you're often looking at about quarter speed of light? The Milano circling :SPACE: in Infinity War is probably the best "speed" guess we have.

I'd imagine it's moreso that an FTL Drive allows for them get to parts that the Kree haven't mapped out yet(and aren't likely to in the near future).

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it on Thursday and it was thoroughly meh. Another cookie-cutter action movie and the editing of the action scenes was plain bad.

The "never giving up" bit was straight out of DBZ, not foreshadowed (and boy do they foreshadow the things they wanted to notice. Gotta mention the cat's a Flerken a few more times, audiences might forget) and unearned.

Last edited:

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
This was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. Could have maybe used a touch more humour but overall, 8.5-9/10.

One of my more favourite MCU films

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Great cast and performances throughout, a surprisingly-patient build in the first act that I found really compelling, and Brie just feels right for this role and the MCU in general.

I thought they could have done a better job of building her as a person apart from the pathos established by her amnesiac plight, but they were building a lot around her as well, and I can't wait to see how she develops in future movies. She's got the right stuff, and she sold every scene for me.

Some legit great character moments between the main players, and even though the fight scenes weren't amazing, there were some action scenes that were great. I just think the film's best parts were the things that happened between the set pieces (unsurprisingly given the directors.) Fucking great movie!

Whew. I have a re-watch planned with a friend who is vacationing rn, and it'll be nice to sit back and watch it while geeking out less.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just have to say, I thought the movie would be something else and it completely did a 180 for me, in a good way.

Well done, Marvel.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it more than the average Disney/marvel movie.
I'm probably alone in this but it felt very reminiscent of that 80s Supergirl movie at times, and I mean that in a good way. Except maybe both sharing weak action bits, but Marvel actually compensates for that by plot feeling eerily more like a Star Trek movie than a superhero one. So action not being central piece felt 'right'.

The only thing I really Didn't care for was the soundtrack, but the last 3 marvel movies I've seen all did badly with that, so my expectations were low there to start with.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it on Thursday and it was thoroughly meh. Another cookie-cutter action movie and the editing of the action scenes was plain bad.

The "never giving up" bit was straight out of DBZ, not foreshadowed (and boy do they foreshadow the things they wanted to notice. Gotta mention the cat's a Flerken a few more times, audiences might forget) and unearned.
Wait, what.

If you're talking about the part where she always gets back up after being knocked on her ass, you get to see her do exactly that several times before. When she spars with Yon-Rogg at the beginning, when she's hopelessly trapped on a Skrull ship, when she gets knocked out of the subway.
Nevermind that you see at least twice all these flashback scenes where she ends up on her ass because she does things people tell her she shouldn't be doing. The third time, she finally remembers that all these times, she also got back on her feet because that's what she's always been doing.

You could say it's too on the nose, but it's definitely not unearned.

Nov 30, 2017

The Light Speed Drive was important for the Skrulls as they had no way of travelling between Galaxies. And in the movie it was mentioned that it would allow them to travel to other galaxies, which gave them the ability to hide from the Kree since the Kree are not able to travel between Galaxies yet only systems within the Milky Way.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

...what?

Captain Marvel beating Thanos would be textbook Deus Ex Machina. You build up ten years of movies with this specific group of heroes, only to have the big threat that was announced seven years ago be beaten by a random new person that showed up less than a month earlier.

I mean, I get the joke about Stormbreaker being a literal 'god device', but narratively Thor beating Thanos wouldn't be a deus ex machina, Carol showing up out of nowhere and beating Thanos would be one,

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
If captain marvel actually beats thanos, it would be the worst conclusion ever.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I thought the script was fine, the twist itself is one of the best in the universe.

It's the action scenes which I feel kept this movie from being great. A true step backwards for the MCU if I'm being honest. I thought Marvel Studios would have had that covered by now.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

An interracial relationship in the 90'S!?!? SCANDALOUS!! Does Marvel's perversion know no bounds?!?! [/S]

If captain marvel actually beats thanos, it would be the worst conclusion ever.

Expecting more like she holds him back while the other do important stuff and nearly dies because of it.
Still need to see her go BINARY and take out a solar system

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it last night and I liked it. Not the best MCU film out there, and the second half of the film was way better than the first, but solid and enjoyable.

Goose is my new best friend and favorite MCU character.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I was pretty dissapointed :( I'm a big fan of the MCU, but never touched and will never touch a Marvel comic, so I didn't know what to expect from the movie. Not much from the story, but I was looking forward to meeting another hero in that Universe and rooting for her in upcoming movies. But the movie didn't even accomplish that for me, and now I'm even dreading having to see more of her in Endgame. I hope the Russo Brothers can do their magic and I end up loving her as I did with Captain America, Black Widow, Iron Man, Thanos (:P), etc.

Some things I liked and didn't like:

Things I liked:
- The amnnesia narrative and storytelling, despite being unoriginal and nothing specially well done served well the plot and the character.
- Nick Fury and his exchanges with Talos and Carol
- Goose
- The Skrulls, even though I think they felt a bit underdeveloped
- The Stan Lee hommage at the beggining <3

Things I didn't like:
- The kree. I think they were the worst part of the movie. I don't specially mind they are bad villains (this is the MCU after all), but all their bits, specially when they come to Earth and after stomp on the ship, how they connect her to the Intelligence, etc. was pretty badly done and written. Same with Ronan, why was he even there??
- The 90s setting and in general the worldbuilding. I thought that scattering a Game Boy, a pinball and some intruding songs around was cheap and uneffective. Expected much more.
- The action. Maybe the worst offender, because I think it's the main culpable of my next point.
- Captain Marvel herself. As I said this is what I certainly least expected, and what actually worries me about the movie, and the ones to come. I thought Bree was nice enough as Carol Danvers, even thouhg she was a bit boring, and I didn't really connect to her. The thing is this could matter less if her as Captain Marvel was great, in the same way Cap's action skills make him awesome or Dr. Strange powers kind of make him seem less of a douchebag. And as I said I blame it on the little (and mainly bad) action the movie has. Her powerset is super lame for almost the whole movie (wooo blaster shooting arms!) and when she finally goes super saiyan it feels completely random and unearned, so I did't get the whole YESSS HERE WE GOO moment I normally get in superhero movies.

So the movie ends with this super powerful heroine that in my eyes is "undeserving" of such powers because the hero journey was kind of nothing. I don't mind low scale MCU movies (I actually welcome them, and I guess aliens and intergalactic travels doesn't really qualify as low scale, but somehow the movie felt like that), but maybe the most powerful MCU superhero needed a bit more meat to her origin story for me to really welcome her. As it is, when she stumbles into the Avengers in the mid-credits scene I felt as if she didn't belong there, and leaves me hoping she doesn't get to save the day in Endgame, unless she really earns it in that movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the amnesia storyline was very awkwardly done.

The entire point of amnesia storylines in movies is that the viewer can explore the past of a character together with the character. That's how it works in Memento, The Bourne Identity, Finding Dory and every single other game, movie and television show that features a character with amnesia.

Yet, in this movie they manage to fuck it up by having that, admittedly neat, compilation of memory flashbacks early in the movie. Everybody with half a brain will be able to piece together the entirety of Carol's backstory from those. Yet they still try to do the same kind of amnesia storyline as every other movie using that plot element, even though the audience (and honestly, Carol herself) should already have pieced together most of it.

How can everything be predictable? Like,
the main twist isn't really telegraphed and runs fairly counter to the comic book expectation as well.

All told even knowing it's an origin story, the structure of this one is quite different from your run of the mill origin. I don't think it was AMAZING, solid 7.5-8/10 for me, but it's far from predictable in the standard origin story manner, other than 'you already know from pop culture vaguely her background' which is kind of impossible to be objective about.
Unless you somehow think the movies follow the comics 100%, the movie (and twist) is very predictable.
We have an entire movie (Guardians of the Galaxy) where the Kree Empire is constantly referred to as an evil empire and two of the villains in that movie feature prominently as "good guys" in this movie. Even pre-twist Ronan shows up and is like "Shall we bomb the shit out of Earth?". There's also the very ominous "Central Intelligence" plot device and the fact that Jude Law in the beginning is constantly saying shit like "Emotions are bad, you should be emotionless", a thing that is commonly only said by movie villains (and SW prequel Jedi).

The only thing about the twist that might be surprising is the fact that the Skrulls are good, though it's fairly easy to predict that as well because 1. MCU doesn't do complicated morals, so The Kree being evil usually means the other side is good and 2. You never actually see the Skrulls do anything evil.

Last edited:

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I feel the amnesia storyline was very awkwardly done.

The entire point of amnesia storylines in movies is that the viewer can explore the past of a character together with the character. That's how it works in Memento, The Bourne Identity, Finding Dory and every single other game, movie and television show that features a character with amnesia.

Yet, in this movie they manage to fuck it up by having that, admittedly neat, compilation of memory flashbacks early in the movie. Everybody with half a brain will be able to piece together the entirety of Carol's backstory from those. Yet they still try to do the same kind of amnesia storyline as every other movie using that plot element, even though the audience (and honestly, Carol herself) should already have pieced together most of it.

I see it a bit differently
I think the flashbacks tell most of the story but leave important holes in it, and that is what I think Carol (and the audience with her) is looking for. She certainly knows she has been on Earth before, and was friends with those people, but not how and why. Like for example I wasn't completely sure if she was human or not, if there was a further away past that she didn't remember, and how exactly she endend up with the kree. I didn't see the Skrull plot twist coming neither, but I'm normally not very good at seeing those things :P

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I see it a bit differently
I think the flashbacks tell most of the story but leave important holes in it, and that is what I think Carol (and the audience with her) is looking for. She certainly knows she has been on Earth before, and was friends with those people, but not how and why. Like for example I wasn't completely sure if she was human or not, if there was a further away past that she didn't remember, and how exactly she endend up with the kree. I didn't see the Skrull plot twist coming neither, but I'm normally not very good at seeing those things :P
You almost see every single flashback the movie has to offer in that compilation, including shots from her childhood where she is very clearly on Earth. Sure, you could still think "Well, maybe Annette Bening was her mom", but honestly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter for the narrative or her character whether or not she's full or half-human.

You see every single piece of information you need in the flashback compilation, the only things you're missing is how she got her powers and that it's really Jude Law who killed Mar-Vell, which is of course part of the big twist so of course that wouldn't be told so soon in the movie.