• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this for Singh: It's pretty ballsy for him to entertain the possibility of another election so soon after the last one especially given the financial state of his party (unless I missed some fundraising numbers that occurred during the election).

The government will be well aware before the budget vote if they'll be defeated or not so it should never really be that possible to have another election unless someone is woefully inept and makes a mistake or the Liberals decide they want another election.

lol if we end up getting lukewarm centrism for the next few years propped up by dumb handouts to Quebec.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
He knows trudeau is catholic...right? As has been essentially every francophone PM in our history?

Wrong kind of Catholic though.

Trudeau is the kind of Catholic who attends pride parades and is pro-choice.

There is a schism between the more fundementalist types and the more liberal ones like Trudeau.

My wife (more religious than me) frequented some catholic discussion groups before and during the election and there were some hardcore raging debates going on.

"You're not a real Catholic if you don't vote for Scheer" type shit.

She left after seeing a bunch of "I hate Trump but I like what he's doing" type posts. I presume they meant putting pro-life judges into the courts but still that's sickening.

There's something very very wrong with a lot of "religious" people, and those people vote for people like Scheer.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
To keep myself feeling good I like to imagine that the last couple years are the dying gasp of conservatism's power and that their desperate posturing is the signal of their inevitable descent into irrelevance.

Sounds good right?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong kind of Catholic though.

Trudeau is the kind of Catholic who attends pride parades and is pro-choice.

There is a schism between the more fundementalist types and the more liberal ones like Trudeau.

My wife (more religious than me) frequented some catholic discussion groups before and during the election and there were some hardcore raging debates going on.

"You're not a real Catholic if you don't vote for Scheer" type shit.

She left after seeing a bunch of "I hate Trump but I like what he's doing" type posts. I presume they meant putting pro-life judges into the courts but still that's sickening.

There's something very very wrong with a lot of "religious" people, and those people vote for people like Scheer.

I used to date a catholic and that was my experience as well. There is a clear divide between more open catholics and the fundies. It's not even split along age groups, I found equal amount of young people just as rigid as anyone else. And some older people (including the priest) who are more "modern" than others. I feel like they're still trying to find their place in the world considering dwindling attendance.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Most Catholics tend to be Catholic for cultural and traditional reasons, not religious.

The fundies are a vocal minority, stress minority

I don't know how big they are but it seems to be a big enough group that the CPC caters to them a good deal.

Somehow there seems to be a disproportionate amount of them as MPs within the CPC.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

How many times have they reannounced this now? Hell, when Trudeau ran on the Infrastructure bank back in 2015 he used VIA Rail as an example as the very first project it would fund.

At this point I've pretty much lost all hopes that it gets made. After Doug Ford got elected and cancelled Ontarios High Speed Rail project just as it was going through Environmental Assessment and Tender, I've lost all hope that we will ever increase Intercity rail transit in any meaningful way. Conservatives and ruralites straight up do not want it

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Canadians voted for a progressive government that's going to take real steps to make life better and more affordable. I met with Jagmeet Singh in Ottawa today to talk about how we can cooperate on shared priorities, and make Parliament work for all Canadians."

XOvfqPT_d.jpg

Ok, hoping for the best here. I think it's also smart to reiterate that Canadians by and large voted for non-right wing parties.

*Quote and pic pulled from the PM's FB post.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
As a progressive party, the Liberals should of course be eager to work with the NDP to being pharmacare nationally to all Canadians. Right???? Right???

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
As a progressive party, the Liberals should of course be eager to work with the NDP to being pharmacare nationally to all Canadians. Right???? Right???
I think it would be the best time for the Liberal to bring it. They can take the credit if it works well and shift the blame onto the NPD if people are unhappy about it. Bloc is unlikely to block it (since it may help allocated more federal funds to the one that is currently in place in Quebec). The NPD will likely make it a a make or break point.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that the NDP is trying to flex given that they were decimated in the election.

If a snap election is called, they'll be blamed 100%.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Yes its imperative for the Liberals to ensure that corporations are still able to skim a bit off the top

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it would be the best time for the Liberal to bring it. They can take the credit if it works well and shift the blame onto the NPD if people are unhappy about it. Bloc is unlikely to block it (since it may help allocated more federal funds to the one that is currently in place in Quebec). The NPD will likely make it a a make or break point.

Honestly, the easiest way for us to get Pharmacare, Dentalcare or really any of the major healthcare expenses put in place is if the Federal Government just puts in the Canada Health Act that any province that implements those things gets additional Federal Money for them. That way there will be some push for Provincial Governments to get it done.

It would also some heavy push to provinces like BC which would be receptive to it, but just need that extra push that their politicians can sell to the people as "Look at all this money we'll be giving up if we dont do it!". It would work especially well in situations like Ontario circa.2017 where you can be guarenteed that Wynne would have gone for a more "Pharmacare for everyone!" approach instead of the half thought out policy of what she actually implemented.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
This is how the Paul Martin government fell leading to 10-years of Harper. I guess it is simply the NDP staying true to their roots ...
Don't be like Gutter Trash and pin all the blame on the NDP.

Paul Martin deserves a lot of blame for fucking up so badly and ALLOWING his government to fall, and then the Liberal Party deserves a lot of blame for running such phenomenally shitty campaign after even shittier campaign!

Aside from the NDP's role, if even just 1 of the factors on the Liberal's side hadn't been there, then we wouldn't have had a decade of Harper.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Wrong thread!

On topic: I'm interested to see how much the NDP thinks it can hold up things.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Some people here tend to do the classic "If we say something wrong it was out of error or strategy, while if the other side says something wrong it was out of intention."

Singh isn't going to trigger an election, he is trying to leverage their potential balance of power to get policy support.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished paying off my student loans today so if the "progressives" team up and forgive up to 10k in student loans, I will feel a bit silly. :P
I welcome a reduction to my cellphone and internet plans with open arms in its place.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that the NDP is trying to flex given that they were decimated in the election.

If a snap election is called, they'll be blamed 100%.

It's clear they're trying to jockey for position that they want to be the deciding vote/king maker. But acting like you're the only option when the liberals said they'd evaluate bills in a case by case basis makes this look weak.

Even the liberals can get votes from the conservatives concerning pipeline issues.

singh also invoking the throne speech vote is disingenuous considering not all throne speeches are vote of confidence.

The image just invokes a small yorkie yapping at a retriever.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Has more to do with the fact that most people don't want to lose their private work coverage.

That's the democratic approach, you know that's what the D in NDP stands for?

If work places want to provide benefits on top of the public benefits there's nothing stopping them from providing that benefit to their workers.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The government will be well aware before the budget vote if they'll be defeated or not so it should never really be that possible to have another election unless someone is woefully inept and makes a mistake or the Liberals decide they want another election.

lol if we end up getting lukewarm centrism for the next few years propped up by dumb handouts to Quebec.
Pretty sure that's what's going to happen. lol

I guess at least Quebec doesn't care about spreading stuff like Bill 21 to the rest of the country, thankfully.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This was making the rounds yesterday.

This will somehow be pinned on Trudeau even though it's just global markets reacting to changing times. Alberta is going to feel a lot of pain just from international investments alone let alone low oil prices.
Australia's Adani project is basically their equivalent of tar sands development. It was interesting to see the same dynamics working there.

Except, well, now the country is literally on fire and everyone still wants to believe everything is fine.
("Now's not the time to talk about climate change when there is a crisis at hand!")

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable that Canadians are so smug about being not-Americans with our public, universal healthcare system, when it's actually incomplete and plenty of people get fucked over in the same way that Americans do.