• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Salvation was better than any other Terminator movie made after it

I find it to be really underrated, honestly

It's not Oscar material by any means, but it's fun, and try different things with the formula

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo I completely checked out when Skynet had Helena Bonham Carter's face and it had the hubris to monologue its plan like a Bond villain.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I think a future war film still has potential, you just need a way better script and director. After Dark Fate there's no chance though

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Salvation was probably the best directed, post-T2, Terminator. That pretty much sums it up. Good riddance to this franchise.

The intro future scene in Dark Fate looked horrendous. Basically sets up the rest of movie quite well in preparing the viewer for shit. THIS is what the people in charge think Terminator fans wanted. Linda deserved better.

Oct 31, 2017
It would have been neat to have a future war film that looked like the T1/T2 versions of it

source.gif
tenor.gif

Seeing footage from T1 and T2's future wars always brings tears to my eyes. Why can't Hollywood seem to get the mood and vibe of these movies right even with millions of dollars spent on CGI? Every single movie we've got depicting the future war scenes after T1 and T2 looks like shit. Why they take place in day time with humans firing conventional weapons always bothers me. The Terminators with modern CGI don't even look scary. I bet you money that hardcore Terminator fans would support a Terminator future war movie that gets all the elements right from T1 and T2, the reason the recent Terminator movies have all failed is because they all get it wrong when it comes to depicting the future war.

Compare the trash we got from Terminator Salvation and Dark Fate to this iconic imagery and it's not even close...

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

img13.jpg

4Lqm.gif

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I always felt the terminator future war should have legit been a remake of Saving Private Ryan. Less about John Conner the Messiah, more of him as a leader who has to make the tough choices and ultimately pushes Skynet to resort to time travel to stop their own doom.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Never understood the hate for Salvation. Other than the weird timeline shenanigans with Kyle Reese, I thought it was a pretty cool look at a post war future. Awesome action sequences, great effects work...

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood the hate for Salvation. Other than the weird timeline shenanigans with Kyle Reese, I thought it was a pretty cool look at a post war future. Awesome action sequences, great effects work...
Terrible script that didn't make sense. Terminators that literally won't terminate their targets. Awful score. And Helena Bonham Carter as Skynet. Cmon.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Two good things came out of Salvation. "Good for you" Bale meme and Cameron realizing that the future war in the audience head would always be more interesting than actually filming it.

Having watched the future scenes in T1 and T2, along with Aliens... I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I feel like more than glimpses of that future would get really tiring. Like, the future as shown in T1 and 2 showed was fucked. So much so that it's insane to even think about humans winning that war.

They missed the mark on what was the most important thing, the story and characters. Also the aesthetic of the film was just, not what was shown in the series beforehand. It was like, the borderline opposite and turned a setting that in the brief glimpses was very inspired into something much more palatable and generic.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fact is, even T2 had a different-looking future than T1. In the original, Skynet's army was automated tanks and automated helicopters. Terminators weren't running around on the field shooting stuff like it's WWII. The Terminators were infiltrators, not infantry.

But in T2 all of a sudden you have all those skeleton Terminators on the field which is ridiculous because the tanks and helicopters are much more efficient.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As bad as Salvation was, it could've been ten times worse, with two plot twists that make Genysis' and Dark Fate's look tame in comparison.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Fact is, even T2 had a different-looking future than T1. In the original, Skynet's army was automated tanks and automated helicopters. Terminators weren't running around on the field shooting stuff like it's WWII. The Terminators were infiltrators, not infantry.

But in T2 all of a sudden you have all those skeleton Terminators on the field which is ridiculous because the tanks and helicopters are much more efficient.
The vision of the future we got in the first movie was very, very limited. Time, budget, pacing, all that.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he originally claim to have watched Salvation over two nights in a hotel room and said it, "wasn't bad?"

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Having watched the future scenes in T1 and T2, along with Aliens... I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree.
When you set up a character as the chosen one military jesus whatever you eventually put on screen will be a let down. Not saying Cameron couldn't come up with interesting set pieces but the imagined version will always be better. Its like in the movies where the band plays the greatest song in the world. No screen writers is writing the best song ever nor is a director going to capture the infinity possibilities of skull beach + silent scarred John Connor. More often than not less is more.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means but it definitely was a promising start for a potential trilogy.

Yet, looking at the sequel plans the director had in mine, they were once again gonna do the whole time travel thing while mostly ignoring the future. A terminator director has yet understand that terminator movies do not have to be about time travel/protecting someone/chase scenes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with a "Future War" movie is that it would have been difficult to have a compelling antagonist, since it would just be a bunch of skinless T-800's and HKs running around.

I would have liked to see them do a Rogue One type movie that covers the mission to send Kyle Reese (or Arnold) back in time.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A future war movie could have been/could be great. Just no one has done it right and the franchise is run into the ground now that it'll never happen. Even when I was a kid watching Terminator 2 I knew it was a retread of the first one and was already wishing for a future war movie.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
McG didn't make that concept disinteresting, the idea is already completely disinteresting. I could do with a whole moratorium on war films for the next twenty years. What a lazy fucking concept and "tribute". I'm tired of the films, the games and the stories. I don't care if it's future bullshit or not. I'm very much done.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Eh thats a shame. War movies are a dime a dozen for sure but the potential behind a Cameron directed grimy oppressive as hell future war flick is just....whewww.

Hell of a lot more exciting than the sequels we've gotten since 2. Sucks that McG was the one to make Salvation.

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone else sick of Cameron shitting on other films to boost his current movie? That seems to be his only marketing tactic and it hasn't been working.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I thought those "zombie" Terminators towards the beginning of Salvation were terrifying and really well done.

They should've made the whole movie about fighting an army of those things through the ruins of civilization.

Oct 26, 2017
Shitty acting, bad dialogue, boring story, poor pacing, convoluted narrative....
Awesome action is stretching it.

Also for those who want to see what a Cameron directed future war would look like just go watch the final battle of Avatar. When I first saw that film one of the most prominent thoughts in my head was "I want more of this but with robots".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

I re-watched Terminator 1 when it was released on Netflix and the entire future stuff has a very different feel to T2. Skynet seems a lot more low tech and there's a simplicity to the way the Terminator is designed and operates that's inhumanly terrifying.

The bit were the Kyle Reese is having that flashback to when Terminator shoots up the underground resistance base and it's just a pitch quiet as it murders everything as efficiently as possible, then becoming a silouhette with red eyes through the smoke is such an underrated moment.

It really hilights that these are explicitly things that exist to take life, and that the machines are ruthlessly efficient.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Every single movie we've got depicting the future war scenes after T1 and T2 looks like shit. Why they take place in day time with humans firing conventional weapons always bothers me.
Thank you.

Why the fuck didnt they continue the night time setting? The night time future war is so clautraphobic. The day time setting is just lame in comparison.

Didnt Kyle say something about only moving around at night?

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Salvation felt like a small skirmish against the machines rather than a full blown offensive as portrayed in T1 & 2's future war segments.

Hell, aesthetically, they look nothing alike. Where the fuck are my torched cars filled with skeletons and LASERS. Oh, and plenty of synth jams. Missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I may be mistaken, but the people asking about lasers in salvation, wasn't that before those weapons were invented? Like the terminators you see in salvation until the end act with Arnold are not t-800s, but older models? I think like the terminator when you first run into Kyle Reese was a t-600?

like the t-800 at the end is when you see that conventional weapons no longer work.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main problem with trying to do a future war film is that it completely misses the whole point of the first two Terminator movies. At their core, those movies weren't about trying to stop an evil machine army from destroying the world. They were actually just about a couple of people trying to survive against an unstoppable assassin, set in the 80's and 90's. The future war backstory and cybernetic organism stuff was basically just window dressing in Terminator 1 and 2. Trying to shift focus and build lore from that just sounds like a pointless endeavor.

This is also a reason why I think the Terminator series doesn't really lend itself to sequels because, honestly, there really isn't anything more you can do aside from just repeating the same formula again (which is what Terminator 3 and Dark Fate did) or vainly trying to build the post-apocalyptic backstory (which is what Salvation did). And then there's whatever the hell Genisys was trying.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Except Salvation is still the best post T-2 Terminator movie. Oh Cameron, how wrong you are again.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Worth noting TSCC also had some Future War content that was pretty intriguing, and the third season was going to start with John Connor being transported to the Future War.