• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I hope she crashes and burns, but the Kardashian/Jenner brand is still pretty strong.

Arnie won as a Republican in CA, nothing's impossible but my money is on this going nowhere.

Their brand is strong, but no one likes Caitlyn in particular for reasons that are justifiable and others that aren't. The Republican party, the one that she's going to be running in, are currently on a crusade against trans people, and trans women specifically. It's not a negative in that party to be openly transphobic, and you can bet any Republican running against her will do it. Also expect everyone running against her to bring up that she's a murderer.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans won't vote for her because they hate trans people. Dems won't vote for her because she is a piece of shit. Good luck.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I know California is pretty blue, but is this something we should actually worry about? At this point there is no way in hell Californians would elect another Republican shitbag, right?

I know they elected Arnold but hopefully enough has changed where that will never happen again
It depends on if she comes out with a real platform and attempts to run a legitimate campaign. Arnold did just that which is why he won.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, no celebrity politicians!

Actually you know what find another liberal celebrity and run them against her, since they won't stop popping up. I thought Hollywood is supposed to be liberal? 🙄 At least that's what conservatives bitch about.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Idk, when the Terminator was elected, Gore won California by 12 points and Kerry in 2004 a couple years later won it by 10. Biden won it by 30.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Curious how Fox News will cover her. Their heads will explode trying to run the usual hypocrisy machine.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Good for her. No idea about how she'd do as a candidate - In just for more assholes to show their face from this.

EDIT: Oh a Trumper? LMAO, well that sure ups the entertainment factor

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
from the state that brought you the governator

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't mind celebrities in politics, but if they want to do that they need to put in the real work. But that really goes for anyone really. And well, as for this case, this is a hard no from me.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People do not like the Kardashians and they certainly don't like the Jenners. She's a fool. I hope somebody pulls ads out surrounding the vehicular manslaughter she committed just to push her out of the race.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Please note, this is a candidacy for the recall election. Her candidacy will have a better chance than some might think, since there is no process to limit the number of candidates.

The career politicians will split the wonk vote. As the most likely celebrity candidate she will enjoy decent name recognition.

National Republicans may well be turned off by her being trans maybe, but California ones less so. More importantly, watch how quickly religious leaders swept aside similar "moral" concerns for Romney and Trump. Any criticism for "hypocrisy" will not find purchase. Caitlin may well come out in support of trans therapy and sports restrictions and be embraced fully.

calmatters.org

Recalling a California governor, explained

With many schools, churches and businesses closed by Newsom’s stay-at-home orders, the recall has morphed into a referendum on his pandemic response.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
isn't this all hinging on a recall effort against the current Governor succeeding? Ie a recall effort has to get voted in, and as part of that effort a replacement governor is selected at the same time.

yeah, as Foltzie says this has a better chance at succeeding since its not a normal election, its an off year so only hardcore voters will go out. Which usually translates to older white voters. Goes against Caitlyn since most will not support a trans candidate, but the vote could be split up such that someone surprising wins, if not her then someone else you normally wouldn't predict. Of course, thats assuming the recall succeeds which I don't know enough about Cali politics as to whether the majority of people who vote are happy with how Gavin Newsom handled covid or hate him for how he handled it.

Here's the weird thing: Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was actually originally elected under this exact same way, a special recall election against a deeply unpopular democratic governor in 2003. He did win subsequent regular elections but his first time at bat was in this exact same path.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
more like Dispassionate Corruptor

tenor.gif

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Having the recall election on the same date that the vote to replace the governor is stupid.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She's never gonna win, she's a big attention-grabbing prop so that the GOP can say down the line that technically they were first to nominate a trans person for a governor position

Yeah, she's a useful tool for the GOP. "I'm not transphobic because I support banning transgender athletes, I voted for Caitlyn Jenner." It's like the black friend defense.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Please note, this is a candidacy for the recall election. Her candidacy will have a better chance than some might think, since there is no process to limit the number of candidates.

The career politicians will split the wonk vote. As the most likely celebrity candidate she will enjoy decent name recognition.

National Republicans may well be turned off by her being trans maybe, but California ones less so. More importantly, watch how quickly religious leaders swept aside similar "moral" concerns for Romney and Trump. Any criticism for "hypocrisy" will not find purchase. Caitlin may well come out in support of trans therapy and sports restrictions and be embraced fully.

calmatters.org

Recalling a California governor, explained

With many schools, churches and businesses closed by Newsom’s stay-at-home orders, the recall has morphed into a referendum on his pandemic response.

It's worth keeping in mind that the current Republican party are a cult for Trump, and Caitlyn came out and opposed him after all his anti-trans stuff started going in action. I don't think there's anything she could do to convince that party that she should be a leader within it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
On one hand, she should have no chance.

On the other hand, she's tied to the Kardashian/Jenner brand, and California loves it's celebrity governors.

I'm going to be silently nervous.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
One of the few republicans that can win
Nah as soon as the general public realizes she's a hardcore Trumper she's done for in California. 2021 is a very different political environment from 2003 when Arnold won, it might as well be an entirely different universe.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember that Caitlyn Jenner is a Rich White Republican first. She was able to hand wave all of Trump's Anti-LGBTQ legislation because she can afford to stay comfortable because of her wealth, unlike pretty much every other person within the community.

I don't see her making it, but I could be wrong.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I know California is pretty blue, but is this something we should actually worry about? At this point there is no way in hell Californians would elect another Republican shitbag, right?

I know they elected Arnold but hopefully enough has changed where that will never happen again
I wouldn't obsess over it too much, but I personally wouldn't take her losing for granted after the last 4-5 years.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
idk about the GOP not voting for her because she's trans. This would be the perfect opportunity to trot her out like a show horse and be like "See? We don't hate trans people!"

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, she should have no chance.

On the other hand, she's tied to the Kardashian/Jenner brand, and California loves it's celebrity governors.

I'm going to be silently nervous.

Californians don't like the Kardashians, they just like watching the spectacle. I don't think anybody is stupid enough to vote for her.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's worth keeping in mind that the current Republican party are a cult for Trump, and Caitlyn came out and opposed him after all his anti-trans stuff started going in action. I don't think there's anything she could do to convince that party that she should be a leader within it.
That bridge is repairable if Trump wants it to be, which is a stretch, but Trump playing kingmaker is absolutely an option. If he endorses Caitlyn she'll carry a whole lot of R votes

If Trump stays out, his base is fractured and she can still carry a fair number of votes.

I've seen allegiances shift to quickly without penalty (see Graham, Lindsey) to write off Caitlyn's chances if the recall succeeds.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would think Californians would have the sense not to vote for her considering she's a huge Trump supporter. So I'm not worried, for now.