• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can Burnout 3 take down F-Zero GX? Or has F-Zero got boost power? Terrible poll description smh

• Burnout 3: Takedown

Votes: 556 52.7%
  • F-Zero GX

Votes: 499 47.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I repeat my assertion that you should have a face-off tag, OP.

I'd give the slight edge to Burnout 3, but I feel like it does both a disservice to say one is "better" than the other. GX is a goddamn masterpiece.
<3 I wish I could think of more face offs like when I first started making threads. I must've done well over 50 poll threads in February lol but now I struggle to think of good match ups.

But I agree neither is better. If Burnout 3 is king then F Zero GX is the president lmao.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
If the heavily rumored Xbox BC program continues later this year, then it's likely Burnout 3: Takedown will be among the first OG Xbox games to go BC due to EA being huge supporters of the program, another title they can add to EA Play, and the licenses are still in order that it's still being sold on Xbox marketplace.
Is the BC program actually rumoured to be coming back, or are people assuming because they think it only stopped to support XBSX backwards compatibility.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
F-Zero GX is such an awesome experience, even to this day. I gotta give it the nod!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great games, I prefer Burnout 3 but you can't lose with either. I would also say Outrun 2 is another great one from that generation.
Is the BC program actually rumoured to be coming back, or are people assuming because they think it only stopped to support XBSX backwards compatibility.
They said they want to continue but it's all assumptions until it happens.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both. The BC team have hinted towards it's return but nothing official as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced around or at E3 this year.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Two-Buttons.jpg

if I HAVE to pick...F-Zero GX

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who liked Burnout 2 the most?

You are not. Crashing people is fun, but 2 is the best actual racing game in the series. The risk/reward balance of the old boost mechanics is pretty much perfect. No takedowns or traffic checking actually make it a much more white-knuckle experience in my opinion. Perfect laps and burnout chains were also super rewarding.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Burnout 3 is in my top 10 games of all time. It's extremely different from F-zero GX though. Both are masterpieces, but I'd play Burnout 3 any day, while F-zero... I'd need to be in the mood for it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Burnout 3 is just.... almost perfect. I legit will forever be suprised we haven't gotten just... more burnout 3? A remake would be amazing nowadays. I know some people tried to make games similar to it but it seems they all fall short.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Tough to pick between the two, honestly. But it would be really awesome if I could play either of these games on modern consoles or PC. Ridge Racer 7 would be great as well.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got this going on my 360 and it's still fun but really grainy. Its overscan area is completely black and it's got that uncanny valley area of where I'm not sure if its 4:3 or 16:9 (menus are def 4:3) lol, which might give F-Zero a nod. Fun to see Axe bodyspray logos and hear Yellowcard lol. The DJ tutorials are kind of intrusive and you can't skip them but the driving is still great if not really simplistic. Might lean F-Zero unless it gets an XS patch. Although you could probably emulate your PS2 copy on the XS in the meantime.

Edit: It renders 16:9.

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Look, Burnout 3 is a very good game, but GX is one of my all-time favourites. That's just how it is.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
BO3 was OK Mario Kart-esque online fun for a week or so.

It doesn't even come close to touching OutRun 2 and F-Zero GX.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Burnout 3 is the best but I get burned out from playing from the too many events to complete. GX I can go back to any time snake drift to first place in master mode and be satisfied. GX wins the poll though there are tons of arcade racers that deserve love, outrun 2

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Burnout 3 is a perfect game for me.

Fzero is good but it doesnt come close to the best arcade racer ever made.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Burnout 3 without any question. I like GX fine, but it's ridiculous to even compare the two.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero is more demanding but infinitely more rewarding when you master it. Burnout 3 is no slouch either though

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Burnout 3 singlehandedly started my love for over the top arcade racing games, so I gotta give it the W.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Burnout 3: Takedown is a game I spent dozens of hours oncat my friend's house, playing on his xbox.

Lazy Generation, I wanna be Sedated, This Fire and Stay in Shadow are burned in my mind from playing that game so long.

Sorry F-zero, Burnout 3 is my king.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I also wonder how much better F-Zero would do in a poll like this if it was available to a larger base of players. I have to think less people played it than Burnout, so that this poll is so close is genuinely surprising to me.

Yeah. There are a few coming in here and saying "Burnout and it's not even close," but I have to wonder if they've even played GX to any great extent outside of the kiosk demo.

giphy.gif

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I missed out on the Burnout 3 love because my first intro to "modern" Burnout was Revenge when I eventually got a Xbox. I skipped 2, and 3 never made it to GameCube for whatever reason. So for me, Burnout 3 feels like a step back due to the lack of same direction collisions. I understand that that's generally not the opinion of series fans, that partially taking away the danger of crashing simplifies the game too much. I like the added options in weaponizing your car however. I'm not a huge fan of pure car combat games, so Burnout Revenge is the perfect "your car is a weapon" racing game for me.

I love the handling model in Burnout but lets be honest - F-Zero GX is way more mechanically demanding. I personally don't mind brake-to-drift systems - I fucking love Hot Pursuit 2010 - but the challenge in Burnout is survival and course perfection. F-Zero GX has that plus the quirks of its physics system in snaking, track skipping, hitting the boosts at the edges, etc., etc.

I'm not a huge crash mode person. That may influence the results as there is a beauty to that mode which does play with the physics a little more. But I buy a racing game to...well, race.

If it was Burnout Revenge, it's closer for me. If it was Initial D Special Stage, it's a coin flip. But between these two, it's F-Zero GX.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I love and own both of these. I couldn't pick. They're too different, even being in the same overall genre. For me it'd be like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Burnout 3 had a mode to race in it?
I remember crashing and only crashing :P

I never played f-zero, but I think I have to vote for that as it's actually a racing game while burnout 3 is just a game where you crash into stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
GX is harder, faster, has better track design, and has more interesting AI (Burnout 3 is really the dumbst possible rubber band implementation). Burnout 3 has the better soundtrack though. Overall GX, but Burnout 3 is better than any racing game since; maybe except Mario Kart 8.