• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Impossible-Foods-to-test-out-its-plant-based-13731103.php

The plant-based burger battle shows no sign of abating. The latest coup comes from Impossible Foods in Redwood City, which has inked a new partnership with Burger King. Starting this week, the world's second-largest burger chain will serve a meat-free Impossible Whopper at its St. Louis locations for about six weeks.

Though there aren't yet plans for further Impossible Burger expansion at Burger King, the company has done these test runs at other chains before going national, including at Umami Burger, White Castle and Cheesecake Factory, a company spokeswoman said. Impossible Foods also just began distribution at Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews, a national fast-casual chain with a handful of Bay Area locations.

The announcement — which is not an April Fools' joke — may help distract customers from news last month that the company had issued a voluntary recall after a plastic object was discovered in some of its bulk product.

More importantly, the Burger King trial is also a way for Impossible Foods to compete with Beyond Meat, which started serving its plant-based burger at Carl's Jr. locations in January.

Only for a limited time for now-but maybe an indicator for the future. I had one at California Adventure this week and it's wonderful.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Impossible Burgers are very good. I'd actually go to Burger King for one if this rolls out nationwide.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd consider going to BK if they offered this. A few places in my area carry it and it's fantastic. I actually haven't had a beef burger since I tried the impossible burger a couple months ago.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, there's a burger place near me that has them... I like them. Hoping the price comes down as they become more common, and with things like that it should help.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'd consider going to BK if they offered this. A few places in my area carry it and it's fantastic. I actually haven't had a beef burger since I tried the impossible burger a couple months ago.

Me too. I was just in Japan/Thailand and the BK's over there had veggie burgers and made me a little jealous.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Burger King actually seems like a decent place to start testing this, since their burgers have so much of that flame-broiled char flavor to them that it's be harder to notice if the meat isn't exactly right.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I've only had a half-Wagyu/half-Impossible burger and it was delicious, would love to try 100% impossible meat. I hope this thing takes off.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Beyond Burger is better IMO, but I'm psyched for more availability of vegan burger options.

Oh god Beyond vs Impossible will be the millennial/Gen Z edition of Coke vs Pepsi.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Are the impossible burgers unhealthy? I assume that they are heavily processed to make them look and taste like meat?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So Burger King is finally going to have a good tasting burger?

I kid, I kid. Definitely gonna try it out if they come to one near me.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm down to try this, but I'll pick my local vegan drive thru over the national chains any day. Bigger selection. However, I definitely appreciate the increase in the plant based options!

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a diehard meat eater but my fiance has a number of food allergies including red meat.

Took a bite of her impossible burger and was extremely impressed. Taste and texture on point and very very close to a ground beef burger patty.

We are both hoping it becomes more popular and winds up in widespread grocery stores.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This is big. I'd seek out an Impossible Whopper as soon as I could.

In N Out next pls.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I actually might try one unless they're full of unhealthy fillers and salt.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I finally had the chance to try an Impossible burger over the weekend (there's a fast food place down the road from me that serves them) and I was very impressed - so much so that I'd actually pick it over the meat-based option. Impossible's the real deal.

I wasn't so impressed by Beyond, but that's probably because I bought some in the store and made them at home, and grilling them made my house smell terrible for almost a day afterward. The taste was also only so-so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what the 'love burger' from Leon in the UK is? I think they say beetroot based but not sure if it's close to something like the impossible burger. It's really nice though

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
oohmami I will definitely try this out.

Glad I am not an April fool with this one.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Are the impossible burgers unhealthy? I assume that they are heavily processed to make them look and taste like meat?

It's not exactly a salad, but with the updated recipe they announced earlier this year it's supposedly slightly better then a standard beef patty nutritionally, with 240 calories compared to 290 for a quarter pound patty, along with about half the fat and no cholesterol. It's still very much fast food, but then again that's sort of the point anyway. There's also the fact that they're able to constantly improve the recipe which is obviously something you can't really do with say, a cow.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd try an Impossible Whopper. I can already see the media tie-in with the next Mission Impossible film.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take ALL the damn veggie burger options I can get at fast food joints. Will try.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never ate a burger at burger king, but I'd try this for sure if it goes nationwide.