• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The original developer of the open source extension sold the extension to an unknown entity in June 2020.

The Register reports that the new owner of the extension submitted a new version of the extension to the Chrome Web Store but did not upload it to the GitHub project site.

Version 7.1.8, submitted initially to the Chrome Web Store, included calls to remote scripts and used remote tracking analytics. The update did request additional permissions, including the permission to manipulate all web requests.

The new owner uploaded a new version of the extension after it got suspended by Microsoft from the company's web store. The new version removed the script but it kept the extra permissions that it requested when the previous version was released.

Developers analyzed the code of the extension versions and discovered additional bits of code that added more weight to the "there is something fishy going on" camp. Thibauld Colas published his analysis on GitHub, noting that the Open Web Analytics script that the extension was using, was "another application trying to pass for it".

Source: https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/09/w...me-extension-the-great-suspender-here-is-why/

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I use this all the time.

Actually I use the other one, Great Freezer? I forget the name but same people. Maybe Great Hibernator?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well that sucks, I've been using it for a while. Definitely open to any solid alternatives.

Thanks for the heads-up OP.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there's a way to disable the tracking stuff and most people seem to at least accept using it for the time being.
There are alternatives, but nothing that works exactly the same way, so I've been continuing to use unless it really is a hot dumpster fire and Google ends up delisting it like a lot of the Malware extensions that got removed recently.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
Been using Auto Tab Discard for Firefox and Chrome for the past year.

But yeah have to keep up to date on these extensions.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be shocked how often this happens. I made some extensions when Chrome first started allowing them and would get emails almost daily from people who either wanted to buy it or "partner" and stick ads in them.

Most people leave extensions to auto-update too so someone can easily just come in and buy that trust. It's the reason I only use very few of them now.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Edge and Chrome are both Chromium-based browsers, but they aren't "reskins." They both offer distinct feature sets. This is like saying LG UX is a reskin of Samsung One UI. They both share a common foundation, but are not building on each other.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Edge and Chrome are both Chromium-based browsers, but they aren't "reskins." They both offer distinct feature sets. This is like saying LG UX is a reskin of Samsung One UI. They both share a common foundation, but are not building on each other.
It is a reskin on top of Chromium with Microsoft/Google services integrated into it. They even share the same developer tools etc. It's the same browser with a different ui

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Auto Tab Discard is recommended in the article, I think I'll try that and uninstall this. Thanks, OP

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Thanks for this. Mine was still on 7.1.8, sigh. I downgraded to 7.1.6 which I got from crx4chrome. This seems to be legit, but if anyone knows of anything please lmk

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... is there a way to export Great Suspender links to something else? I just got hit with the removal and it basically deleted all my suspended tabs right from under me without warning because Chrome just force-unsuspended it.

Hoping to find a way to save my tabs in my other computers before they're gone too...

Gah too late. I guess it's not my fault for acting fast enough, but jeez.

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even name like 50 tabs?
Most are duplicates anyways of different issues and tasks. I use an addon which makes it very easy.
I can press the buffer button "b" and type what I'm looking for.

193703.png

(not my screenshot)

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
The way some people use browsers blows my mind. I have at tops 12 tabs open across three displays.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Been using OneTab for a few weeks from a ResetEra recommendation. A tiny bit shady, but seems okay.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
heads up, microsoft edge has tab suspending/sleeping built in now and you can set a time.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I get nuking the extension but also wish there was some warning.

If you happen to be lucky and use Session Buddy along with TGS, you can still pull the URLs. It's a pain, but better than having them lost completely.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot I had this installed (but disabled)—just got the notification and uninstalled it.

It's worth noting that Edge recently added a built-in feature that is similar, in terms of auto-suspending inactive tabs after a configurable amount of time. Seems to work well, and it's probably better to rely on a native feature rather than an extension if you're going to be a heavy user. I wasn't an advanced user or Great Suspender, but seems like that + Edge Collections can serve a lot of the same functionality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
  • Get this extension: Quick Tabs
  • Whenever you have too many tabs press ctrl (or cmd) E
  • close duplicates and things you aren't using

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Auto Tab Discard is what I use in Firefox after I made the jump from Chrome. As good a time as any if you were considering FF.
It's what I switched over to (from The Great Suspender) in Chrome as well. (It seems to be available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera.)
The one reason I didn't switch was because it seems to automatically reload suspended/discard tabs the moment you click back into them - is that still the case?

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh dang, I use it all the time to "pause" stuff to go back to later, like comics and (particularly)youtube videos. Do any similar addons auto save the time in youtube videos?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang, I use it all the time to "pause" stuff to go back to later, like comics and (particularly)youtube videos. Do any similar addons auto save the time in youtube videos?
I do this too - Youtube should theoretically save the time of the video when a tab is suspended/discarded on their end, so you could use one of the other extensions if that's your big concern.

Right now I'm just using 7.1.6, but I think that version will eventually die unless someone commits to updating one of the forks going forward.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The one reason I didn't switch was because it seems to automatically reload suspended/discard tabs the moment you click back into them - is that still the case?

It still does that, yeah. There doesn't seem to be a setting to disable that behavior from what I've seen.

Though, for me, the main reason that would've been an issue in Chrome is because it doesn't (natively) offer a way to see a list of your tabs, and hovering over a tab to get the full title is not very time efficient when you have a ton. In Firefox there's this dropdown menu that does give you such a list, so it hasn't been an issue for me there. But perhaps your use case is different.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It still does that, yeah. There doesn't seem to be a setting to disable that behavior from what I've seen.

Though, for me, the main reason that would've been an issue in Chrome is because it doesn't (natively) offer a way to see a list of your tabs, and hovering over a tab to get the full title is not very time efficient when you have a ton. In Firefox there's this dropdown menu that does give you such a list, so it hasn't been an issue for me there. But perhaps your use case is different.
Yeah, sometimes I like to click over because I forgot what it was. lol
Maybe I should switch to Firefox, but I found it to be more of a memory hog... I also don't like that it doesn't resize the tabs in the tab bar to fit in a single window so you have to endlessly scroll, but maybe there's an option to change that behaviour.

I guess I need to use TGS 7.1.6 and then ween myself off of tabs or find a different workflow. It's too bad, because it's something I'd gladly pay for, but I guess when someone comes up to you with a lot of cash it's hard to say no.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So there is a way to recover your tabs if you happen to have Session Buddy as well (or some other session manager).

One way is to basically use the Session Buddy export of your tab backup before Google closed all the tabs and use the regular expression ^(.*uri=) to delete all the garbage in front of the URL to restore the links. The only issue with this is that you'll reopen your tabs as active if you try to restore them.

Another way to do it would be to have your session manager restore all your suspended tabs that don't work anymore, then use an older install of Great Suspender (7.1.6) to export the tabs. Then edit that file to replace the old Great Suspender unique ID with the one generated by the new version of Great Suspender and then re-import the session.

It's a pain, but if you had stuff you wanted to keep and didn't want to trawl through your history there you go. Also I have way too many tabs. lol