• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
ITT, a thread full of people who don't know what they're talking about with respect to conservatorships. That attorney very likely isn't making $10k a week every week. He's making "not more" than 10k per week. This means he isn't taking more than $10k at a time. Twitter user Southpaw wouldn't know what his fees are unless he had that referenced order and an estate accounting. I'm not saying that he's not fleecing her, and its a bit shady if he does not have his own order, but these fees should be ultimately reviewed and approved by the court. Also (assuming he does not have some sort of crazy ass flat fee $10k per week order) the lawyer would very likely make way more money litigating his client's release. It would be interesting to hear why the lawyer would rather substitute out than file the petition.
ITT blood sucking lawyer defence force.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Conservatorships are fucked. I forgot what the name of the documentary is, but there's one on Netflix that goes over how these things are set up to easily allow for court sponsored physical and financial abuse.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
One of the e-mails says "I missed the August 22, 2008 order which does provide for the $10,000 weekly payments.".
Have fun spinning that one.

This isn't the gotcha moment you thought you had and that statement isn't inconsistent at all. An order providing payment of no more than $10k and an separate order to make payment of, lets say $100,000, would result in a weekly payment of $10,000 over ten weeks. It seems to make sense to have this arrangement in a situation where you want to disrupt the estate's principal assets as little as possible, but you have a consistent income. If I had a copy of the accounting, I would expect this attorney to only be receiving payment for ten weeks if his bill was $100k or twenty weeks if his bill was $200k, etc. Once again its hard to tell anything without the accounting and the order for fees, which nobody seems to want to reference for some reason. But whatever, you don't have to listen to what I say. You do you :)

AFAIK she may have wanted the IUD when she got it but if she doesn't want it now it's still an unwanted IUD.

This raises a interesting point, I can't find a article stating whether or not her conservator of the person has exclusive medical authority. So if the conservator does not have those exclusive powers, I don't see why she can't just have it removed if she wants.

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
How cruel and greedy do you have to be to abuse someone like this, and for this long and from her own family too.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't the gotcha moment you thought you had and that statement isn't inconsistent at all. An order providing payment of no more than $10k and an separate order to make payment of, lets say $100,000, would result in a weekly payment of $10,000 over ten weeks. It seems to make sense to have this arrangement in a situation where you want to disrupt the estate's principal assets as little as possible, but you have a consistent income. If I had a copy of the accounting, I would expect this attorney to only be receiving payment for ten weeks if his bill was $100k or twenty weeks if his bill was $200k, etc. Once again its hard to tell anything without the accounting and the order for fees, which nobody seems to want to reference for some reason. But whatever, you don't have to listen to what I say. You do you :)

This raises a interesting point, I can't find a article stating whether or not her conservator of the person has exclusive medical authority. So if the conservator does not have those exclusive powers, I don't see why she can't just have it removed if she wants.
You are kind of missing the point. The amount of money the lawyer is getting is peripheral and icing on a very bad cake. Whatever discussion on it is more about how the lawyer didn't tell her she has the option to request for her conservatorship to end and that him getting a steady paycheck might have caused that. There is no point coming in and going "actually the way the lawyer is paid is probably not like that". If her lawyer didn't let her know what her options are than he is probably a scumbag who just wants money and didn't mind working with her dad to keep the status quo

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
What the fuck? How is all of this legal? This feels taken from The Handmaid's Tale. Also I wonder how many non-famous people are in this situation. The concept (of conservatorship) seems terrible from its conception.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
You are kind of missing the point. The amount of money the lawyer is getting is peripheral and icing on a very bad cake. Whatever discussion on it is more about how the lawyer didn't tell her she has the option to request for her conservatorship to end and that him getting a steady paycheck might have caused that. There is no point coming in and going "actually the way the lawyer is paid is probably not like that". If her lawyer didn't let her know what her options are than he is probably a scumbag who just wants money and didn't mind working with her dad to keep the status quo

My point was that I don't think the steady paycheck idea holds water. I think he would make a lot more money litigating her conservatorship whether or not she wins. If he looses, he gets paid once he submits his fees and his fees get approved by the court, if she wins, he gets paid the same, but he was worth every penny to her. Now she claims that she was not properly advised. That may or may not be true. It's not uncommon at all for people under conservatorship to have issues with their memory or long term planning, etc. But taking her at her word today, it seems like her attorney should file a petition now and get this moving. IIRC he said he'd have to substitute out, which may be the case if he does not do this type of litigation or if he believes that she needs it. In either event she should have an attorney who will follow her direction on this.

Regarding the amount of her legal fees, yeah it sucks that a conservatorship ends up costing so much, and LA County approves some pretty high hourly rates. She's an exceptionally rare case too because her estate is so valuable, and she's doing touring, shows, etc. So I would bet this law firm is spending hundreds of hours doing things like reviewing contracts and taking an active role in negotiations, etc. Is that necessary? Hard to tell without the specifics. From the articles I've read though, it looks like her estate is much more valuable now than it was when the conservatorship initiated. So are these high costs warranted? I don't know, but they might be if she truly is unable to manage it herself. As an outside observer though, having her do shows seems like its at least open to serious abuse, if and when her attorney files a petition for termination, we may get to learn more.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the BBC breakfast report on this ended on a "toxic" relationship pun with that song and clips from it playing.

In general I'm all for crazy puns but sometimes it's a stronger report if you detail how she's overprotected without using them.

Seriously though the pun is for the light hearted report at the end of a bulletin, or people talking about it online, maybe a tabloid, it seemed so out of place following the fucked up details of of a serious story.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
How is it possible to force her to keep the IUD in her body when she wants it taken out??

She's under a conservatorship and has been for the past 13 years.

Elderly people that are mentally incapacitated with dementia are typically under conservatorships. And legally can no longer make legal, financial, or medical decisions for themselves.

A doctor could lose their medical license performing non-emergency procedures on someone under a conservatorship without the approval of the person in charge of the conservatorship. …Because a court has determined the individual is incapable of making those decisions for themself.

Britney has stated she can't even do simple things like choose the color of her kitchen cabinets, visit her friends 8 minutes away, or even just ride in a car with her boyfriend without approval.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
From the articles I've read though, it looks like her estate is much more valuable now than it was when the conservatorship initiated. So are these high costs warranted? I don't know, but they might be if she truly is unable to manage it herself.

She's literally forced to work against her will...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People with psychological issues are really treated like trash...

Story of my fucking life. The whole system is underfunded, and being in a country with free healthcare its still so broken.
Just decades behind where it should be by now both for treatment and education. That doesn't seem to be the focus here, however.

Last edited:

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
She's under a conservatorship and has been for the past 13 years.

Elderly people that are mentally incapacitated with dementia are typically under conservatorships. And legally can no longer make legal, financial, or medical decisions for themselves.

A doctor could lose their medical license performing non-emergency procedures on someone under a conservatorship without the approval of the person in charge of the conservatorship. …Because a court has determined the individual is incapable of making those decisions for themself.

Britney has stated she can't even do simple things like choose the color of her kitchen cabinets, visit her friends 8 minutes away, or even just ride in a car with her boyfriend without approval.
I guess conservatorship differs between countries. I live in Germany and conservatorship is more limited here. A conservator acts as a representative of the person, and can make legal, financial and medical decisions on their behalf. However, the person is not completely incapacitated like they seem to be in this case. They can still voice their wishes if they are physically and mentally able to do so. Additionally, if the conservatee believes that the person acting as their conservator is not making decisions in their best interest, they can demand that the conservator be replaced by someone else. This would certainly apply here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So realistically, what are the chances that she is freed from this conservatorship? This is awful :(

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The implication of your post is that she just lied to a judge about this.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If she can successfully cut all these people out of her lives, I wouldn't be surprised if she just wants to disappear completely from the public space and live somewhere else in peace.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm... I'm still trying to wrap my head around this? And this is a pop star. Imagine other cases under the radar...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Free Britney has been compiling all documents and sources of information regarding this for years now. There's a thread on Twitter detailing the conservatorship from the very beginning, with court documents and journalistic reports to back it up:

As well as a timeline of events starting all the way back in 2006:

You know, in case someone still wants to keep defending the lawyers.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
But taking her at her word today, it seems like her attorney should file a petition now and get this moving. IIRC he said he'd have to substitute out, which may be the case if he does not do this type of litigation or if he believes that she needs it.

What about the fact that the lawyer was appointed by her family, who all benefit to a grotesque degree by her remaining in the conservatorship? What other reason would a lawyer have for not informing his client about her rights, refusing to go forward with a termination application, and telling a judge that they'd rather sub out then help the client with their application, except for the fact that he continues to profit from the situation? Does this feel like a conflict of interest and that the lawyer may very well not have his client's interests at heart?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Not just the IUD, not just being basically trated like a non-human slave.
But when she talks about the fact that she is scared of small rooms, that she's scared of meeting new people over getting hurt and abused again..

What has been done physically, mentally and economically to this woman is incredible and those people need to be in prison. If she can perform, if she can pay the people she is currently paying and that she has paid on the tour, perforamnces, etc there is no reason for this shit.

And also this says a lot about how we speak and treat PPD. She was put on Lithium for 5 fucking years WITHOUT consent.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I reallly really hope she can get out of this

I feel so terrible for her and hope she can reclaim her life

terrible how the media and everyone treats her

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Jesus Christ, all of this is so awful and disgusting.

I'm glad at least it seems like public opinion is fully in her corner this time. I think a lot of society owes her an apology for treating her like a bimbo and then subsequently like she was insane. I think her father definitely took advantage of the fact that, for a long time, people weren't really going to go to bat for her and be taken seriously.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been a while since I seen the Britney documentary but I vaguely remember a lawyer in it was like an outsider on some aspect of her situation but then by the end, the same lawyer had moved onto the gravy train of keeping her controlled, I may be misremembering but it was really odd.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I don't understand how anyone could enjoy the money they made off a woman they basically enslaved and forced to work for 13 years while keeping her as a virtual prisoner in her own life.

How do they sleep at night?
I genuinely don't know. Between this and trying to follow the various ways the new Republicans are redefining the very concepts of facts, education and voting rights, I've lost all sense of how human-beings are able to rationalize such intentional and immoral behavior.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Investigate Jamie Spears.
Investigate Samuel Ingham (Britney's court appointed lawyer) and his friendship with Vivian Thoreen, legal representative of Jamie Spears.
Investigate Lou Taylor (her former business manager) for wiring 600 million dollars in off-shore accounts, after a Forbes article declared that Britney Spears should be worth more than 60 million dollars, and closer to the aforementionned amount. Also investigate why her dad hired Michael Jackson's former business manager that was ruling his affairs at the time of death (this is sketchy as hell!)
Investigate her sister, mom and brother for allowing their dad to perpetuate these sick abusive dynamic he has normalized over the years.
And also, investigate her former manager Larry Rudolph, Adam Webber. These monsters should not get away.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I don't understand how anyone could enjoy the money they made off a woman they basically enslaved and forced to work for 13 years while keeping her as a virtual prisoner in her own life.

How do they sleep at night?

I mean, happens all the time with the elderly.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Stan Lee Needs a Hero: Elder Abuse Claims and a Battle Over the Aging Marvel Creator

At Marvel in New York in the '60s, he created the comic book characters that dominate the box office today. But at 95 and reeling from his wife’s death and a fight with his daughter, Lee stands at the center of a nasty battle for his care (and estate) as one friend pleads for help: "He's in need...

www.vulture.com

The Curious Decline of Paul Mooney

He's a famously provocative — and infamously difficult — comedy trailblazer. But lately, something even more upsetting than usual has been going on at his stand-up gigs.

(on the later link it's paywalled, but as Paul Mooney's mental facilities declined family members forced him to keep on doing his touring schedule to keep their pockets lined even though he was blatantly out of it on stage)

InscrutableMe

Dec 19, 2017
Stupid foreigner (non US american) here. How is any of this legal? And how the hell did this happen to one of the most famous people alive without anyone figuring out what was going on? Holy shit, her father needs to spend the next 13 years of his shitty life in jail for this.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is all true, holy shit. Hope this is at least investigated, if it is, think about all the people who get caught up in similar situations not named BS.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Not having followed celebrity lives, I used to think this whole freeBritney thing was a bunch of well intentioned but over enthusiastic fans getting worked up over conjecture and making conspiracy theories, boy was I wrong. Hope she gets her freedom.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Wow there really is a defense force for everything.

It definitely sounds like Britney's case is one of those abuse cases of conservatorship and changes need to be made but at the same time my wife deals with surgeries on a lot of patients that are under these. She says you'll talk to them and think this person is a normal as could be only to find out the surgery is to remove knives that the person has ingested and that it's the 6th time they've been there

the problem with Britney's case even if she actually needs a conservatorship is forcing her to perform and dictating her career. That seems way out of line

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
The implication of your post is that she just lied to a judge about this.

I didn't say that at all. She's under a conservatorship so she may have difficulty understanding or remembering details like this. She's telling her truth, and good for her. We literally have no idea what her capacity level is because the people who drop screenshots of documents or write about court documents don't actually show you or tell you about the documents that would give you that information.

Free Britney has been compiling all documents and sources of information regarding this for years now. There's a thread on Twitter detailing the conservatorship from the very beginning, with court documents and journalistic reports to back it up:

As well as a timeline of events starting all the way back in 2006:

This is conspiracy theory, almost Q level bullshit. There's a reason this person is making a thread on Twitter and Google docs rather than anyplace serious. Like, these sources referred to are cropped, incomplete court documents that refer to other documents, notepad documents, and "media reports." Common dude.

What about the fact that the lawyer was appointed by her family, who all benefit to a grotesque degree by her remaining in the conservatorship? What other reason would a lawyer have for not informing his client about her rights, refusing to go forward with a termination application, and telling a judge that they'd rather sub out then help the client with their application, except for the fact that he continues to profit from the situation? Does this feel like a conflict of interest and that the lawyer may very well not have his client's interests at heart?

I keep hearing that the lawyer was appointed by the family, and that's not really how this works. I don't know what happened here exactly because different counties can handle these things differently and the reporting on this is extremely vague, but usually a lawyer is appointed and selected by the court. There are documents the family can file to request appointment of a lawyer, the initial petition packet is probably one of these for LA County, but that does not necessarily mean they had any say in selecting him. It can also get complicated if her lawyer is appointed as a guardian ad litem, but I'm not even going to get into that. It feels like there's a misunderstanding here but I can't say for sure. But overall it seems it would be even more profitable to litigate for termination the conservatorship, since he could request fees for litigation on top of what he already does. Sure it's possible that there's a conflict issue here given how unique this case is and the money involved, but I don't think it's very likely based on what I've see. termination petition needs to get filed now though.

I'd love to see a documentary or a analysis of this case from somebody who actually has information and knows what they're talking about, but so far I've not seen anything of the sort.

It definitely sounds like Britney's case is one of those abuse cases of conservatorship and changes need to be made but at the same time my wife deals with surgeries on a lot of patients that are under these. She says you'll talk to them and think this person is a normal as could be only to find out the surgery is to remove knives that the person has ingested and that it's the 6th time they've been there

the problem with Britney's case even if she actually needs a conservatorship is forcing her to perform and dictating her career. That seems way out of line

Good post. Most people are totally unaware of how weird things can get when capacity is a problem. Most people's understanding is simply a grandparent going through dementia, but it's so much deeper, weirder, and even sadder than that. And the issue of having her perform absolutely needs to be looked into deeper at the very least.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that at all. She's under a conservatorship so she may have difficulty understanding or remembering details like this. She's telling her truth, and good for her. We literally have no idea what her capacity level is because the people who drop screenshots of documents or write about court documents don't actually show you or tell you about the documents that would give you that information.
"we don't know if she's crazy or lying" is now the implication of your posts.