• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good. But there's a lot of things I love about Zelda games that aren't in it. Namely traditional Zelda music, actual dungeons, and a ton of items.

The Zelda theme song is in the game. finding it was legitimately one of the highlights of the entire experience for me. It's probably my all-time favorite version of the theme song, too.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My daughter has a speech disability. She's only 3, but struggles to form full coherent sentences on a consistent basis.

BotW has actually helped her word formation and articulation. I literally just stand there as Link and she tells me what she wants to do and I do it.

BotW is my favorite game of all time, and the fact that I get to play it with my daughter, and it actually is helping her development just makes it that much more meaningful for me.

It really is a masterpiece.

Thank you for sharing. This warmed my heart.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I keep thinking about it. Specifically, I'm taken aback that such a recent game could be my "favourite" game of all time. It's a little baffling mainly because my previous favourite games were from my childhood (i.e. they hold a special place in my heart, nostalgia, etc.). But BotW may have outdone them still. I'm still pondering it though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just wish the game had classic Zelda style dungeons and bosses. The Divine Beasts did not cut it for me.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
The exploration mechanics are quite possibly some of the best of all gaming history, I'd put it up there with Myst and Silent Hill and other of the same calibur.

Combat though... well it's defiantly fun and experimental, but the traditional hack n slash of the game is very stock standard and bland. Boss battles are open ended but they are all easily exploitable and are over too quickly.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish that there was gear that allowed to climb in the rain. Also the bosses were actually terrible. That's a complaint that I can agree with. A lot of other complaints such as the weapon durability and horse riding really didn't bother me at all. It's my favorite Zelda soundtrack and one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Still the only game my GF (completely not into games) has sat down and watched me play repeatedly. And it single handedly got me back into Single Player games after a couple years lack of interest.

Echo this, I've shown a lot of great games to my GF, BOTW is the only game she wants to play by herself

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
This is the game of all eternity right now and I am still in love. My 6 and 3 year olds have recently gotten into it and I love watching them play. I join in ever so often and soon enough I'm going to go through it again with all the DLC.

I certainly would have enjoyed the shrines to be classically themed but the puzzles were top notch! This game took pushing blocks and lighting torches to the next level. Man Zelda puzzles were getting so tired until now.

Love exploring and finding Koroks. One of the best things in my opinion. I always felt like I was on a real life nature hike.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Played it twice, all shrines and inventory upgrades both times... I still get the urge to play it again almost any time I think about the game

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
My daughter has a speech disability. She's only 3, but struggles to form full coherent sentences on a consistent basis.

BotW has actually helped her word formation and articulation. I literally just stand there as Link and she tells me what she wants to do and I do it.

BotW is my favorite game of all time, and the fact that I get to play it with my daughter, and it actually is helping her development just makes it that much more meaningful for me.

It really is a masterpiece.
Wow, thanks for sharing that story. Congratulations on finding an activity that you love to do that also helps your daughter.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget the first time I arrived at Hateno Village. It was raining really hard that night as I was gliding down from Mount Lanayru. I saw those lights in the distance and somehow I managed to land before my stamina ran out. I went inside one of the farm houses to chill for a bit and man I felt so damn cozy. It was like I personally found shelter during a storm. Hearing the Hateno Village theme for the first time gave me goosebumps. Crazy how the game was full of these small but impactful moments.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I bought it at launch due to the lack of general choice. I couldn't get into it for many of the same reasons others have stated.

I beat OoT last year (my first Zelda), so I decided to go back to BOTW and I found it quite engaging and interesting the second time around. Now that OoT familiarized me with the world of Hyrule, I find the world quite fun to explore. Still working through it at a relaxed pace.

That said, I wouldn't give the game a 10/10 and it sure didn't deserve the GOTY awards it got when Mario Odyssey was released the same year.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
When I think my first Zelda game was Link's Awakening on the Game Boy when I was 11, it kind of blows my mind that there are 3 and 6 year olds out there who are experiencing Zelda for the first time through Breath of the Wild on today's hot new handheld. Lucky kids! Long live the eternal gods of gaming, Nintendo.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was okay. I don't think I would have gotten it if it wasn't a launch game, to be honest.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's what the series desperately needed.

Absolutely loved exploring, finding new places, finding towers, etc., the feel of it, the confidence of the design and presentation.

But I still haven't finished it. I got really discouraged when I got the Master Sword and discovered that it still breaks. Don't mind the idea of weapon degradation, but stuff is way too fragile. And I really don't like the Divine Beasts as dungeons.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I hate the movement in this game quite a bit... like... I tried to play today and moving on the small switch screen and maneuvering against enemies is just not fun to me.

But the moments where it's actually progressing and I'm not just running through empty fields are great.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game that was entertaining for me and my gf, but it's certainly not a GOAT in my book due to various factors. Still, I'm super curious about the lessons Nintendo learned from that game and how the formula might evolve.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Great but flawed for me (to be clear, I hate open world games, and this one does better than most, but still falls into a couple trappings)

I'm curious about my hero's path, but not enough to buy the dlc

I disliked the game for how disjointed each champion's section is (price of freedom, I know), and how little story there was, and I certainly wasn't interested in buying the other dlc to know more

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i was dead-sure that the game was going to be my favorite ever. it's been a while since i had a 'favorite-ever' game. the idea died out around 12 years ago... but an open-world zelda game where you can go anywhere and do anything and that trailer?

it left me realizing that part of what i like about zelda is the motivation. ocarina of time had it, as simple as it is. the wind waker has it in spades (and pays off with a fantastic ending). majora's mask, skyward sword, and link's awakening have it too. even games that aren't so strong in the story department have memorable characters like zelda from spirit tracks and midna from twilight princess.

breath of the wild featured a pretty great link, a relateable zelda, and lots of fun side characters. there just wasn't any urgency. the trailer from january 2017 is promoting a much fuller experience, and i wish i could play that game.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the greatest games of all time. Bought the switch just for it and even if I never played another game on switch, it would be worth it just for this game.

It's such a risky move to take a beloved series and completely reinvent it, but they managed to pull it off and make it my favorite Zelda game.

Playing it on launch, it completely made the Switch promise of console games on the go a reality. I've owned every handheld since the gameboy and loved so many games on them, but this is the first time I felt like I was playing a game on a handheld that felt like a "console" game and not a "handheld" game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i was dead-sure that the game was going to be my favorite ever. it's been a while since i had a 'favorite-ever' game. the idea died out around 12 years ago... but an open-world zelda game where you can go anywhere and do anything and that trailer?

it left me realizing that part of what i like about zelda is the motivation. ocarina of time had it, as simple as it is. the wind waker has it in spades (and pays off with a fantastic ending). majora's mask, skyward sword, and link's awakening have it too. even games that aren't so strong in the story department have memorable characters like zelda from spirit tracks and midna from twilight princess.

breath of the wild featured a pretty great link, a relateable zelda, and lots of fun side characters. there just wasn't any urgency. the trailer from january 2017 is promoting a much fuller experience, and i wish i could play that game.
i can't tell if you're gonna be happy or disappointed when the next 3D Zelda game is a multiplayer action adventure game where you and two of your friends trawl Hyrule to collect the freshest and niftiest ingredients with which to craft the legendary Tri-Course Meal

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two Years? Time flies.

Amazing game. Played it on the WiiU. Planning to go second time on the Switch.

Feb 14, 2018
I recently started playing this for the first time, and It's my first Zelda game, so I had no expectations going in. I'm enjoying it, but I think it's really overrated and the weapon degradation system is one of my least favorite things I've ever encountered in gaming.

It's absurd that you're given such a small amount of inventory space with how quickly your weapons can break. I have a few weapons I'm afraid to use just because I don't want them to break, and I don't know if there's a way to repair them.
A handful of story-related weapons can be repaired. All other weapons can be found again many times over.

I would advise you use your best weapons. You'll quickly replace them with better ones as you progress. If you hold onto a "really strong" weapon for too long it'll soon be one of your weakest.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like the shrines, honestly felt like filler content most of the time and I got several of the combat ones out of order so those were frustrating as well. Felt the concept could have been done better.

Weapon degrading is a big negative, especially with how oppressive it is, soulsborne games having it is annoying but I never really butted up against it.

The healing system also breaks combat a lot. And I didn't really like the combat anyway.

Edit: Weirdly enough I connected the most with the small story snippets that were there with the memory images that you could find in the world.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i can't tell if you're gonna be happy or disappointed when the next 3D Zelda game is a multiplayer action adventure game where you and two of your friends trawl Hyrule to collect the freshest and niftiest ingredients with which to craft the legendary Tri-Course Meal

if it was a two-player multiplayer game, i think i'd be down. but if they go the single-player route again i really need a better way to present the story. there's enough going on in breath of the wild to have me interested in what's going on and keep playing, but they could have done a lot more to immerse the player in the story itself. the implementation feels like it was the final thing they added.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun game. I had a lot of fun with it. It is a very well-crafted game.

But the way it was treated as the pinnacle of gaming, as if every game ever made has led us to this masterpiece, as if this is the game to define video games, it really makes me roll my eyes.

It makes me feel bad honestly, I don't enjoy crapping on someone else's fun, and I can't reiterate enough that it IS a good, fun game. But it is far from the pinnacle. It's really just a Nintendo version of a Ubisoft game if you ask me.

It's the first time I really had to agree that there is a MASSIVE Nintendo bias. Replace the Zelda characters and art style, the Nintendo name, and pass it off as a new IP, and it wouldn't get anywhere near the same amount of praise.
Roll your eyes all you want, but the industry itself recognizes it as a new standard.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I put over 100 hours into it on WiiU and if it wasn't for a backlog, I would replay it on Switch. I really wish Nintendo would remake the first two Zelda games with the engine.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it, a swan song for the Wii U and a great launch title for the Switch. But I don't think I ever want to replay it. I'd take a sequel with some improvements and a different setting though. Exploring the same map of Hyrule just wouldn't be interesting a second time through.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's a solid 7/10 game and I appreciate the risk from Nintendo to change things up, but there are quite a few things that stopped it from being great.

For the sequel Nintendo should focus on making exploration much more exciting, climbing cliffs and going to various locations just to find a korok seed or another shrine just doesn't cut it for me and it just kills my curiosity.

I'm also not a fan of the weapon degradation system no matter how people try and spin it, for me they should just add a better variety of enemies that require different tactics and weapons to defeat without the need for them to break.

Bring back the well crafted dungeons, they are sorely missed. I just feel Nintendo cut away too much of what makes Zelda games so enjoyable and the feelings and wonder I got from playing LttP, LA, WW etc where missing during my playthrough of BOTW.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Roll your eyes all you want, but the industry itself recognizes it as a new standard.
A standard that was pretty much executed back in 2012 with Far Cry 3.

The biggest one-up I can give BOTW over other open world games is the climbing. Being able to climb every single thing was wonderful for exploration.

Feraligatre

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The game is incredible in theory, but falls apart when you begin to realize how routinely formulaic everything is. It's hard to get excited exploring when you know the outcome will likely be a repetitive shrine or korok seed. I enjoyed it from a gameplay perspective at launch, but in seeing games like Red Dead which constantly introduce new elements, narrative beats, and ways to make the world come alive, you realize how truly empty BOTW is. It breaks my heart because I love Zelda, but I don't think there's anything revolutionary about the game at all. It pulls most of it's formula from Ubisoft open world games, which already feel incredibly dated.

The game had the perfect recipe to be incredible: it's one of the most well respected franchises in all of media, it had a lot of hype backing it, it launched alongside a new Nintendo console, and it marked the end of a slump for Nintendo and began a new era for them. I think those things make the event of first playing BOTW special. But this has skewed audience's ability to objectively critique the game. Isolate it from the noise around it, and you have a game that is lazy, empty, completely devoid of story, and highly repetitive. The longer we distance ourselves from the event of BOTW, the more we see how overrated it really is.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Empty world with many fillers = open world perfection - Kotaku

I liked the game and I enjoyed it... but I really think it's overpraised.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
There are things about it that I wish were different, like not so many shrines and a few traditional dungeons, and also the well documented weapon degradation which was just way over the top, but regardless, it is still a masterpiece that in the years following has had everyone begging for their favorite franchise of choice to be given the "BoTW treatment".

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I'm also not a fan of the weapon degradation system no matter how people try and spin it, for me they should just add a better variety of enemies that require different tactics and weapons to defeat without the need for them to break.
I can't agree with this enough. The dark souls approach. It would've made obtaining different weapons in the overworld meaningful and the overworld would feel less empty.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I look back at BoTW as if it was released yesterday. I remember so much about my experience with the game. It's the game that broke open world games for me

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is the what gaming needed to finally make that jump to "art." It's breathtaking in every way conceivable.