• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also just got broken up with, OP. What timing.

Life really fucking sucks right now. I don't know what to say other than offering the solace that I, too, am in great pain.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Woman I had been seeing casually since April pulled the brakes tonight..

I'm okay, tomorrow, this will probably sink in and will leave me feeling shitty, especially when I'm having a shitty week already with everything.

šŸ™

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Oh boy, brace yourself for this one OP

GF 1 : Broke up with her after she had "revenge sex" with 3 dudes because I did not put out as much as she wanted. I was only 16.
GF 2 : Was broken up by her jealous friend who lied to both myself and her that we were cheating on each other. Reconnected after 2 years and broke up again because her mother wouldn't let her out to play because she was in Uni. Started seeing a guy in Uni. Still have the email for some reason.
GF3 : Broke up with me for a multi-millionaire
GF4 : Broke up with me for a girl-basher. Went back with him 3 times with the final time her showing up to my house with blood all over her back from the guy she was with carved his name in her back with a knife. I cleaned her up, she said she wanted me back and I told her to get the hell out of my life.
GF5 : Was meant to travel with her to Japan and live with her, got cold feet and she broke up with me over me not giving her money to pay for a course for her when I was trying to save for laser surgery for my eyes. I am now too far past surgery and slowly going blind because of this.
GF 6 : Died. Not her fault. Won't go much further about this because it is too distressing.
GF 7: Moved back to Korea, we're still friends.
GF 8 : This one is super fucked up. Became friends with a girl, we had everything in common. She asked me out and we started dating, found out she was asexual and I was fine with that. She wasn't "Kissy" or super affectionate and the most we would do is hug. Stayed with her, spent long nights chatting with her and when I stayed at her house I slept in another room from her. If that made her comfortable then I was fine with it. Everything was fine up until Christmas. I got her a Wii U and tickets to Japan, she thought this was me trying to take things further. After a lunch with her family she spent 5 hours talking to someone else on a computer while I just sat there lost and confused. I was there and she did not talk to me much. In the evening we went to her new house while her parents stayed at her old house to pack things up, I told her I would help her set up her Wii U, but then I was going to bed because I was too tired. She then called her mother to pick her up and get her car. Her parents showed up and I was just sitting there playing my 3DS waiting for her to get back. Her parents came in and started flat out accusing me of trying to take the relationship further and in a sexual way. I told them if I wanted that, it would have happened 9 months ago. They started going on about how they "Don't know me" (even though I pretty much saw them weekly) and that my ex is now "scared of me". They dragged me back to the old house with her and we discussed this. Nothing made sense. She started saying stuff like "I don't want sex because I read on the internet it is bad" and all this other stuff. I never once asked her, I never once tried it on her. I literally slept in another room to her. None of this made sense.

The next day she said she was breaking up with me, I pulled out the tickets to Japan and suddenly her tone changed and she started going on about "She didn't know" or some shit. Started pulling a fake tear session. Her mother dropped me off and I took the Wii U with me and donated it to a childrens hospital. Sold the tickets to Japan for cheap.

A few months later I contacted her to see if she was ok, and she put a restraining order in me. Soon after the court case she contacted me constantly to try and bait me into calling her so I go to jail. The police did nothing, the court did nothing, so I put my own restraining order back on her. People have said they saw her making out with another dude in a really overly sexual way 2 years ago at a game convention. So I don't know what to think.

Been with fuckbuddies ever since after this. I'm over it.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I want to laugh at you.
JMzSRsr.png

but then I realize
t3XBpcv.png

Go hang out with your friend. watch a movie or play video games together.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Breakups suck, so do deaths, embrace your inner nothingness and shrivel away from the world!

...I guess I'm not the best person to ask. But it sure sucks to have a hunch of bad breakups in your past them finally meet someone who you think can be happy with only for the world to take a shit on that notion.
Don't gotta break up if you're forever single!

Been with fuckbuddies ever since after this. I'm over it.
If that works for you, why not?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My experiences with break ups have both been pretty alright. In both cases I was the one who made the call and was super anxious about it, but both were situations where the compatibility wasn't totally there. In both relationships as I thought about the guy I was with I had to spend a lot of time justifying why a lot of moments with them felt good, but not great. When I had moments to myself, driving or working out, I used it to try to examine how happy I honestly was when I spent time with them. I remember waking up one night next to my then-boyfriend and having a long internal debate about whether I was expecting too much to hope I would feel a kind of magic waking up next to him and never actually feeling that. It was kind of a slowly-increasing hollowness that I tried to shake off until one day I didn't.

Both guys were super understanding and with both of them I had some long conversations about the feelings of being together and what was or wasn't there. In the end both situations were fairly mutual, and the fact that they only lasted a few months made it easy to go our separate ways.

I also felt justified when I eventually found someone who did make me feel almost a fairytale level of joy just waking up to find him next to me. There was actually someone out there to find who could truly make me that happy and it made me feel better about those break ups because it helps me see them as the right call that they were.

The best thing was that he and I talked often about our past breakups, and how there were issues and problems with the people we were with and also with ourselves that we had to work on and get better at. And there's something kind of beautiful about being able to look through your own flaws with someone in a really honest way.

Though not a break up, right in the midst of finally finding the relationship I wanted and getting to finally enjoy months and months of that kind of belonging I used to dream about my partner passed away of a near-random medical problem suddenly. And fuck, the pain of a break up is something, but the pain of a relationship that is everything you want just... stopping, and at the cost of the most important person in your life. It's the kind of shit I doubt I'll ever be over.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
An ex girlfriend was so egotistical that when I politely broke up with her, her response was:

"I'm not upset that you dumped me. I'm more upset that I didn't get to dump you first."

Another ex-girlfriend of 2.5 years called me a cunt over the phone. I slammed the phone down and never spoke to her again... Until weirdly this January when my Mum died, she sent me condolences (18 years later).

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
What do you feel is most important to a successful relationship?

Is it similiar personalities, same long term goals, compromising?

Personally - compromising. Variety is the spice of life, and while similar personalities and long term goals will help, I'll always back compromising in. Now that is the real glue in a relationship.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
On my way towards one right now, got the two magical phrases sprinkled in a text conversation
'We need to talk
'maybe I need a break'

I don't see it ending messy, but still very sad ...

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Tell me about it dude. Its been a year and a half and I still want nothing to do with relationships. I'm still terrified that I'll be gaslit to the point I'll lose sight of who I am or have my jewish background mocked and insulted. Or just be made to feel helpless about circumstances outside of my control rather than supported.

I'm alright at the moment. Working remotely is keeping me busy, I'm spending time with my family, vid conferencing with friends, and I've picked up some new hobbies. All in all it feels pretty swell not having to worry about a shitty partner.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well, I got married last August to my girlfriend of 8 years. Late December she cheated on me, admitted it, dumped me and moved in with her new dude (one of her colleagues, met the guy at our wedding) in a matter of 2 weeks. I felt like complete shit for months, especially in February, when I had to do a project for work that was literally on the opposite side of the road of her workplace. I saw them holding hands while taking a walk multiple times while looking out of the office window. That fucked me up again big time after thinking that I was slowly getting over it.

Turns out it was the best thing that could ever happen to me. In March I met the woman of my dreams and we've been together officially since June. Never been happier in my life.