• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Wait I'm confused. What could he be hiding if only 1 officer saw a charge in the case?

Like I want this to be a massive reveal, but I'm skeptic about the implications.

Edit: Like if the evidence is damning, wouldn't this also make the grand jury look awful?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I'm confused. What could he be hiding if only 1 officer saw a charge in the case?

Like I want this to be a massive reveal, but I'm skeptic about the implications.
He's hiding what he told the Grand Jury.

Basically the implication is he told the public that the Grand Jury was made aware of much more than they actually were.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
This is routine. These fuckers work with cops day in and out. They rely on them to make convictions. It's a super huge conflict of insterest to have them be the ones putting forth charges to a secret grand jury. They downplay officer misconduct. They don't fight jury changes by the defense. they don't show all of the evidence. Basically they low effor the entire thing.

Think about this: It's SUPER common and easy for grand jury's to indict on just about EVERY OTHER issue in front of them, EXCEPT when it comes to cops. Sure, some of that is likely the idiotic cops cna do no wrong belief in this country, but a lot of it is because these guys aren't really interested in punishing cops. They are part of that gang.

It should be a completely different team with no ties to police and answerable to the people that brings cases to a grandjury.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
This is routine. These fuckers work with cops day in and out. They rely on them to make convictions. It's a super huge conflict of insterest to have them be the ones putting forth charges to a secret grand jury. They downplay officer misconduct. They don't fight jury changes by the defense. they don't show all of the evidence. Basically they low effor the entire thing.

Think about this: It's SUPER common and easy for grand jury's to indict on just about EVERY OTHER issue in front of them, EXCEPT when it comes to cops. Sure, some of that is likely the idiotic cops cna do no wrong belief in this country, but a lot of it is because these guys aren't really interested in punishing cops. They are part of that gang.

It should be a completely different team with no ties to police and answerable to the people that brings cases to a grandjury.

EXACTLY.

People are legit shocked by the fact that something like this could never happen and I'm just like... have y'all not been paying attention to the justice system in our country?!

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver

Like I want this to be a massive reveal, but I'm skeptical about the implications.

Edit: Like if the evidence is damning, wouldn't this also make the grand jury look awful?

I think it's to ask what was the basis of the judgment. What were the presented facts versus the ones that should have been presented.
While hearing the press conference, I kept asking myself what we had on trial. The explanation was going out of the way to say nobody did anything wrong (outside of stray bullets) but never seemed to address if the questions "why were they there," "did they properly identify themselves," and "why so many shots." I've been wondering how trained officers needed to fire that many shots period. There were two people. Only one opposing shot was fired, and not from the Breonna. None of the intel they had should have led them to where they were that night. The officers had terrible gun training, and the precinct had a terrible lead and didn't confirm anything, and now a person is dead.

I think/hope this is what is expected to have light shed on it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

To you last point, if he did not tell them all the evidence he had, then it's possible they did not make a fair decision. Or he could have presented it differently than he did to the public. But he claims he did and is trying to say the grand jury deliberations and presentations are secret. Essentially asking us to take his word at it, and that we can only know what he tells us.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for a good link, but the judge has ruled this has to be released by Wednesday, and Cameron has released a statement super butthurt about it.

Edit: https://www.wkyt.com/2020/09/28/gra...-proceedings-in-breonna-taylor-investigation/

Cameron's statement:

The Grand Jury is meant to be a secretive body. It's apparent that the public interest in this case isn't going to allow that to happen. As the special prosecutor, our team has an ethical obligation not to release the recording from the Grand Jury proceedings, and we stand by our belief that such a release could compromise the ongoing federal investigation and could have unintended consequences such as poisoning the jury pool. Despite these concerns, we will comply with the Judge's order to release the recording on Wednesday. The release of the recording will also address the legal complaint filed by an anonymous grand juror."

"We have no concerns with grand jurors sharing their thoughts on our presentation because we are confident in the case we presented. Once the public listens to the recording, they will see that over the course of two-and-a-half days, our team presented a thorough and complete case to the Grand Jury. Our prosecutors presented all of the evidence, even though the evidence supported that Sergeant Mattingly and Detective Cosgrove were justified in their use of force after having been fired upon by Kenneth Walker. For that reason, the only charge recommended was wanton endangerment.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Also, it sounds like from his statement that he recommended charges (and only the wanton endangerment on Hankison) to the grand jury, despite saying the opposite during his news conference.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah... haven't you heard? Although just about anyone can indict a ham sandwich, pork chop sandwiches are a bitch to indict.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's bad enough having to fight virulent white supremacy using the system is to kill us

But when you look up, and you see the AG is someone who looks like you and he's bought all the way in on white supremacy

That's when you sit there and wonder if we ever really gonna make it........ minute some white man whisper in a selfish niggas ear, and he goes full turncoat and obfuscates and blocks any sort of justice.......

We really never gon be free forreal, too many enemies on all sides, across the line and behind it

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'm looking for a good link, but the judge has ruled this has to be released by Wednesday, and Cameron has released a statement super butthurt about it.

Edit: https://www.wkyt.com/2020/09/28/gra...-proceedings-in-breonna-taylor-investigation/

Cameron's statement:

The statement is more of less him admitting that the only charge he would recommend to the grand jury was completely unrelated to Taylor's death. It's not just the "evidence presented" but also the official position of the AG that no charges should come to the officers relating to Taylor's death.

That the AG believes that one officer should be tried for recklessness for shooting drywall yet another receives no charges for firing his weapon in the direction of someone sleeping in a bed is astounding to me. I look forward to the release of the grand jury deposition because I want to know what was actually shown and hear Cameron's team defend their recommendation.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's bad enough having to fight virulent white supremacy using the system is to kill us

But when you look up, and you see the AG is someone who looks like you and he's bought all the way in on white supremacy

That's when you sit there and wonder if we ever really gonna make it........ minute some white man whisper in a selfish niggas ear, and he goes full turncoat and obfuscates and blocks any sort of justice.......

We really never gon be free forreal, too many enemies on all sides, across the line and behind it
Yeah this is why shit happens white society as a whole does thing thing they let a couple of us in then shut the door, the only way things change at these levels is a lot of us flooding these establishments all at once then changing on the inside there is less likelihood of assimilation when we are in govt in numbers all at once. But when its like this shit still is the same and the tokens etc exist due to it. Many times black and brown and women etc are actually harder on us than their white counterparts so they can fit in. It's sick.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So essentially, Cameron statements effectively were done to specifically incite rioting, sacrificing the city to improve his relationship with his base and build his career?

Wow, I'm shocked.

Again, friendly reminder:

M2LVVUJK5ZK7ZAN3UT6KE4EXH4.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly would not be shocked if this kills his higher aspirations. You know you only get one shot as a good one

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

1/ During his press conference, Cameron suggested the grand jury made the legal determination: "My job is to present the facts to the grand jury and the grand jury then applies those facts to the law."

Today he concedes that his team recommended the charges to the grand jury.

A grand jury is a tool. If a prosecutor has strong evidence they can use that tool to achieve any number of outcomes favorable to them. The defense generally has no say at this stage. Ultimately, it was his choice to pursue the lower charges.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The good news is people are calling him out. Tamika Mallory did a fantastic job last week, I felt.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Just think, if he had just remained silent this wouldn't have happened. But the way he kept laying everything at the feet of the Grand Jury, knowing nobody else could talk about what happened there, pissed off one of the jury members enough to go to the effort to file this motion, so now this guy's political future is likely going down the drain.

I do think this would have been a good move even without that though - we need to hear what the exact thinking was that lead to that outcome, because it was a huge national case with an outcome that seems to make no sense. Grand Jury proceedings are supposed to be secret, but this is one time in my opinion it shouldn't have been secret, we need to know why the heck these outcomes keep happening and what really occurs in this sort of case.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A grand jury is a tool. If a prosecutor has strong evidence they can use that tool to achieve any number of outcomes favorable to them. The defense generally has no say at this stage. Ultimately, it was his choice to pursue the lower charges.

Grand jury is essentially the prosecutor's ballgame. They get to present whatever they want, hold back whatever they want, no alternative interpretations from the defense, complete secrecy from the public, etc. And they can only decide on whether or not to go forward with whatever the prosecution gives them. Prosecutor has almost complete control over the entire process, so yeah this falls on him entirely.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
When cops talk about the blue line: Prosecutors are part of it.

Yep.

Totally unrelated case and an old incident, but this is blowing up on reddit right now. 2015 DUI case in FLA where the judge tears into the prosecutor for trying to convict a woman after the officer clearly perjured himself. The judge even asks the prosecutor if she's going to bring charges against the officer and, of course, the officer says it was just a "mistake" and she's not bringing charges. This is why you can't prosecute cops:

I cannot believe the prosecutor here wasn't charged with contempt.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao It's sad but true, there will always be coons throwing Black people under the bus. I'm surprised McConnell even has a Black protege.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I'm shocked that the justice system did a bad job telling on itself.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad people may get to hear the whole grand jury proceedings. I was on one for 3 months and it was a terrible experience. Like people have said, it's a prosecutors playground, bunch of laymen ignorant of the law instructed by the prosecutor of the law and how to interpret it, only getting the cases they want you to get, the evidence they want you to get, even the case load is bullshit considering you get a huge stack and may be incentivised to not want to dig deep because few people have the time and money to stretch that shit out when they have real jobs or personal responsibilities they may need to meet. The whole experience was garbage and I feel for people on such a high profile case.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah!

...wait, what? You realize a juror is exposing the lies perpetrated by the AG, yeah?

It goes beyond this scandal. A lot of people don't realize the shenanigans that defense lawyers and prosecutors do to try and stack the jury deck in their favour for a given case under the guise of removing biases (while at the same time, fighting for their own interests, aka ensuring that they get the win in court at all costs). What this AG did, is basically an extreme variant of this, except in this case, the jury is set up to take the fall while the AG looks good.

The whole notion of a jury is problematic to me because it doesn't actually ensure a fair trial.