• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lmao 6 months? Oh wow thats an easy wait. Shit will be fully patched and right nice by then

I know right? For these big titles I'm now looking at moneyhatted Epic Store exclusives as Early Access with free Spyware and a massive hit in personal dignity included at no extra cost to you.

I'm rarely a 'day one' purchaser for games I'm less than 96.5% interested in in any case. B3 is like at 62%.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know right? For these big titles I'm now looking at moneyhatted Epic Store exclusives as Early Access with free Spyware and a massive hit in personal dignity included at no extra cost to you.

These attacks on people because they may choose to purchase on a different launcher than you are simply out of hand. It is OKAY if you are going to personally wait, saying those who will not have less dignity is just straight up fucking laughable. It's not that serious, and I am one who thinks the whole situation is shitty to begin with.

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
Still sour on these crooks after A:CM, and the subsequent Sega fiasco. I'm in the significant minority, but no BL3 for me.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These attacks on people because they may choose to purchase on a different launcher than you are simply out of hand. It is OKAY if you are going to personally wait, saying those who will not have less dignity is just straight up fucking laughable. It's not that serious, and I am one who thinks the whole situation is shitty to begin with.

That's fine. I however, as someone who has played primarily on the PC since the early 90s and thinks this attempt to create walled gardens in a space that it hasn't existed stands by my statement. If you can't take a stand and wait a few months, that's on you.

I also don't shop at Walmart and don't support the PBA as well.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
That's fine. I however, as someone who has played primarily on the PC since the early 90s and thinks this attempt to create walled gardens in a space that it hasn't existed stands by my statement. If you can't take a stand and wait a few months, that's on you.

So what you're saying, because I am getting the game on Epic Store, I have no dignity? Is that it?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but calling out people and saying they have less dignity than you over a videogame is just dumb, plain and simple. There isn't some high stakes involved with this, it's just shitty, plain and simple.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Decided to pull the trigger and purchased Borderlands 3 Deluxe Edition on EGS ($69.99 is about the price of a Standard game for me, so it was worth it). At this point, I feel like most of the criticism about Epic Game Store stems from speculation (i.e., "Tencent gets all of your customer data!) or things that have already been fixed, like the localconfig.vdf file. It doesn't help anything that Sweeney has been outspoken about the fact that he believes the only way EGS can compete with Steam/Valve is through exclusives.

Of course, this could easily fall into another "Epic Anti-Consumer/Valve Pro-Consumer" thread without much effort. I'm just stating that, personally, I'm over the whole thing and just want to play games that I want to play/purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pull the trigger and purchased Borderlands 3 Deluxe Edition on EGS ($69.99 is about the price of a Standard game for me, so it was worth it). At this point, I feel like most of the criticism about Epic Game Store stems from speculation (i.e., "Tencent gets all of your customer data!) or things that have already been fixed, like the localconfig.vdf file. It doesn't help anything that Sweeney has been outspoken about the fact that he believes the only way EGS can compete with Steam/Valve is through exclusives.

Of course, this could easily fall into another "Epic Anti-Consumer/Valve Pro-Consumer" thread without much effort. I'm just stating that, personally, I'm over the whole thing and just want to play games that I want to play/purchase.
I mean its outspoken because its bullshit. Its not even trying to compete in anyway that benefits consumers, so of course people are calling that out.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pull the trigger and purchased Borderlands 3 Deluxe Edition on EGS ($69.99 is about the price of a Standard game for me, so it was worth it). At this point, I feel like most of the criticism about Epic Game Store stems from speculation (i.e., "Tencent gets all of your customer data!)

That's not true at all. Good for you if you just want to play games,but no need for lies to dismiss criticism.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
I mean its outspoken because its bullshit. Its not even trying to compete in anyway that benefits consumers, so of course people are calling that out.

I meant more in the sense that Sweeney, himself, continues to repeat the same focused points (ad nauseam). I don't feel as though exclusives are the "end of all PC Gaming" - especially when those same games will be available to people who want to use Steam within a few months (regarding Borderlands 3) or a year (other "exclusives"). There's also the people who are making statements like "Publishers just want that sweet cash." except the only publisher/developer that's out-right stated anything along those lines Coffee Stain (which is a small publisher/dev team - so it would make sense that Epic would make sure they have padding in case sales aren't as great).

I've been through several eras of PC Gaming - from the weird (Neverwinter Nights on AOL in the early 90's) to the annoying (early Valve) to the "YOU'RE ALL PIRATES" phase of the early to late 00's to where PC Gaming finally decided to make waves (in the last 8-9 years). Exclusives aren't a great approach to the market but Sweeney thinks that it'll be his golden ticket for market penetration. But Epic Games isn't trying to penetrate the market through the consumers - they're penetrating it through the publishers/developers.

Personally? I'm just going to buy whatever game I want - some games I pre-order because I want them the day they come out, others I wait until they're on sale (frankly, some AAA games don't go on sale for almost 6-12 months anyway, even through Steam). Borderlands 3 just happens to fall into the first category for me.

That's not true at all. Good for you if you just want to play games,but no need for lies to dismiss criticism.

I did say "I feel as though.." -- it wasn't as though I stated it as an objective fact. Anecdotal experiences so far (Discord and discussions with friends - not specifically ResetERA) have been the same talking points:

1. "Tencent is stealing all of your PC/Steam info!" - Epic Games patched the client to avoid the localfile.vdf approach. Plus, nobody would be foolish enough to play around with user data like that to someone who only owns a minority share of your company.
  2. "Epic Games is spyware!" - Most of them didn't know that Steam also tracks user data through cookies. This falls back onto the localconfig.vdf file, ultimately - as pretty much any launcher to date uses some type of tracking cookie to keep an eye on how you navigate their product or their websites.
  3. "Epic is out to create a monopoly." - Maybe? I mean, there's no evidence of that. I separate Steam into two products: the storefront and the platform. The storefront isn't a monopoly as they allow others to sell keys (within their own rules/regulations) but the platform definitely has become a monopoly in terms of PC Gaming and "identity" of the pc gaming culture. So I would say it might be likely that Epic Games wants to get into the same space and "secure" themselves as part of that identity/culture. From there? Who knows.

Regarding things like personal views on exclusives - that's one of those "to each their own" situations at the end of the day. I have been playing PC for quite a long while. I also own every modern gen console (and the last 3-4 generations of consoles). Exclusives suck, but it would be a different game (in my own personal opinion) if Epic Games secured indefinite exclusivity of these games (more along the lines of consoles). There were no lies mentioned in my previous response though, just opinions.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
If you can't take a stand and wait a few months, that's on you.

LOL...Take a stand???? I believe that Epic's storefront isn't better, and I wish they wouldn't pay for exclusives, but outside of that people seem to be taking this too far. Buying games from Epic doesn't make you a bad person. These are just videogames. Bring it down a notch.

People are just throwing temper tantrums because things aren't going there way, in a super-minor subject like this...it says alot about you as a person. Stop trying to guilt-trip and belittle people into joining some crusade...that won't work! Because the market has spoken...people don't care that much. The Division 2 had good sales. We aren't seeing these devs say that their games are tanking on Epic as opposed to Steam.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That trailer looks pretty damn sweet.

I guess ... yeah, I guess I'm looking forward to this one after all. Borderlands 1&2 were flawed games, but I'm sure I put a hundred hours into them.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but calling out people and saying they have less dignity than you over a videogame is just dumb, plain and simple. There isn't some high stakes involved with this, it's just shitty, plain and simple.

I disagree. You give them an inch, they'll take a mile. And yes (not talking to you OP, but in general,) if you care for this hobby so much and are PC centric, giving your hard earned dollars and supporting this behavior isn't a good look.

It's video games, of course it's not the end of the world, I don't want to see my open platform go the way of consoles.

People are just throwing temper tantrums because things aren't going there way, in a super-minor subject like this...it says alot about you as a person. Stop trying to guilt-trip and belittle people into joining some crusade...that won't work! Because the market has spoken...people don't care that much. The Division 2 had good sales. We aren't seeing these devs say that their games are tanking on Epic as opposed to Steam.

No one's throwing temper tantrums.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant more in the sense that Sweeney, himself, continues to repeat the same focused points (ad nauseam). I don't feel as though exclusives are the "end of all PC Gaming" - especially when those same games will be available to people who want to use Steam within a few months (regarding Borderlands 3) or a year (other "exclusives"). There's also the people who are making statements like "Publishers just want that sweet cash." except the only publisher/developer that's out-right stated anything along those lines Coffee Stain (which is a small publisher/dev team - so it would make sense that Epic would make sure they have padding in case sales aren't as great).

I've been through several eras of PC Gaming - from the weird (Neverwinter Nights on AOL in the early 90's) to the annoying (early Valve) to the "YOU'RE ALL PIRATES" phase of the early to late 00's to where PC Gaming finally decided to make waves (in the last 8-9 years). Exclusives aren't a great approach to the market but Sweeney thinks that it'll be his golden ticket for market penetration. But Epic Games isn't trying to penetrate the market through the consumers - they're penetrating it through the publishers/developers.

Personally? I'm just going to buy whatever game I want - some games I pre-order because I want them the day they come out, others I wait until they're on sale (frankly, some AAA games don't go on sale for almost 6-12 months anyway, even through Steam). Borderlands 3 just happens to fall into the first category for me.

I did say "I feel as though.." -- it wasn't as though I stated it as an objective fact. Anecdotal experiences so far (Discord and discussions with friends - not specifically ResetERA) have been the same talking points:

1. "Tencent is stealing all of your PC/Steam info!" - Epic Games patched the client to avoid the localfile.vdf approach. Plus, nobody would be foolish enough to play around with user data like that to someone who only owns a minority share of your company.
  2. "Epic Games is spyware!" - Most of them didn't know that Steam also tracks user data through cookies. This falls back onto the localconfig.vdf file, ultimately - as pretty much any launcher to date uses some type of tracking cookie to keep an eye on how you navigate their product or their websites.
  3. "Epic is out to create a monopoly." - Maybe? I mean, there's no evidence of that. I separate Steam into two products: the storefront and the platform. The storefront isn't a monopoly as they allow others to sell keys (within their own rules/regulations) but the platform definitely has become a monopoly in terms of PC Gaming and "identity" of the pc gaming culture. So I would say it might be likely that Epic Games wants to get into the same space and "secure" themselves as part of that identity/culture. From there? Who knows.

Regarding things like personal views on exclusives - that's one of those "to each their own" situations at the end of the day. I have been playing PC for quite a long while. I also own every modern gen console (and the last 3-4 generations of consoles). Exclusives suck, but it would be a different game (in my own personal opinion) if Epic Games secured indefinite exclusivity of these games (more along the lines of consoles). There were no lies mentioned in my previous response though, just opinions.

I mean, people keeps mentioning in these threads about the lack of features, no having the freedom of buying the games in other third party sites, the animosity against moneyhatting exclusivities on a platform that was always free of it, etc...

Not sure why you feel the paranoid and borderline xenophobic comments about Tencent is a major reason when we have many threads here stating again and again the reasons I exposed. Epic getting in a monopoly position is quite clear, maybe not full monopoly, but the fact they are not attacking only Steam and are basically firing nukes at other third party sellers is very telling.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

Not overly keen on replying to this utter garbage post but - we have Division 2 Epic sales data? Got a link? thanks in advance.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a person who believes in the success of a petition.

However, I would very much like to see our disagreement with this decision. We will probably not get a victory, but out of conscience and principle, I have signed anyway.

Do the same to show your dissatisfaction.

https://www.change.org/p/gamers-make-borderlands-3-available-on-steam

The game will be available on Steam, 6 months after launch.

Not buying the game on EGS will do far more than a petition.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing on PS4 because thats where my friends are at, so waiting to get it on Steam next year isn't a problem for me.

However this shit is annoying and isn't "consumer-friendly" at all.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 had good sales, several times than on Steam, but on uPlay not EGS. There is no known number on how much Division 2 sold on EGS.

To the surprise of nobody. Literally no point buying any Ubisoft games from the Epic Store.

I'll be playing on PS4 because thats where my friends are at, so waiting to get it on Steam next year isn't a problem for me.

However this shit is annoying and isn't "consumer-friendly" at all.

A lot of people here on Era have shown their ass already when it comes to giving a shit about consumers. That Sony/Fortnite account thread was an absolute stain on the place.

A fair few on here don't give a shit about the PC remaining an open platform or even give a shit about people in other countries who are impacted by this deal, because at the end of the day it's just video games and as long as you and I can play who gives a fuck about anybody else.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Not overly keen on replying to this utter garbage post but - we have Division 2 Epic sales data? Got a link? thanks in advance.
No sales data, just the CEO saying that PC pre-orders there have been above the last Division's. And pre-orders on UPlay increased 6x...when that was a big reason they went to EGS, bringing more eyeballs to their storefront as well.

There is nothing out there that shows sales being less on EGS than it was on Steam, especially considering how the actual game has improved.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
We're down to 6 months now?

I wish that was the case for The Outer Worlds, as far as I am concerned they can keep Borderlands 3 forever :P
(Note: I'm not saying it's a bad game, but Borderlands 2 is pretty much the only - out of >100, mind you - coop games I ever dropped due to boredom, so I really don't care about its sequel)

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
No sales data, just the CEO saying that PC pre-orders there have been above the last Division's. And pre-orders on UPlay increased 6x...when that was a big reason they went to EGS, bringing more eyeballs to their storefront as well.

There is nothing out there that shows sales being less on EGS than it was on Steam, especially considering how the actual game has improved.

Ubisoft have played Epic amazingly. They have the money for the exclusive deal as well as the vast majority buying directly from them. Like I said above there is no reason to buy any Ubisoft titles from the EGS.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
A lot of people here on Era have shown their ass already when it comes to giving a shit about consumers. That Sony/Fortnite account thread was an absolute stain on the place.

A fair few on here don't give a shit about the PC remaining an open platform or even give a shit about people in other countries who are impacted by this deal, because at the end of the day it's just video games and as long as you and I can play who gives a fuck about anybody else.

I'm always surprised, considering how progressive this forum is with regards to social and economic views, how much of a "fuck you got mine" mentality users here have regarding games. People look past shady practices all the time just because they feel the intense need to play a hyped game.

Vetro!

Nov 25, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Advocating piracy; account still in junior phase
Epic sucks, and people (console players that don't understand, mainly) that think that buying out exclusives titles is "healthy competition" suck, too. It's anti-consumer and a very shitty business practice, especially when your service is far inferior to the one everyone enjoys using. It shouldn't go without saying, but don't protest Epic by yelling online. Protest with your wallet. Wait out the 6 months.

Last edited:

Vetro!

Nov 25, 2018
I'm always surprised, considering how progressive this forum is with regards to social and economic views, how much of a "fuck you got mine" mentality users here have regarding games. People look past shady practices all the time just because they feel the intense need to play a hyped game.
Straight facts here. These same people cry "it's okay to have competition, it's better for the consumer!!1!" when it really isn't.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Considering that most people were probably getting the first game on Steam when it came out, resulting in relatively few Uplay pre-orders, it doesn't seem all that surprising to hit 6x pre-order numbers on Uplay after restricting the sequel to it and the EGS. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't higher tbh. I'm curious what the actual pre-order numbers are though, because "6x"just seems like PR numbers, like what EGS did with Metro sales.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot believe I won't be getting a Borderlands title on launch. Oh well. Gonna speak loudly with my wallet on this one, and I hope people who feel the same do so as well.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017

It's okay to do what you want, it's not okay to misrepresent the problem as "just another launcher". It's not, it's threatening the ecosystem and is utterly anti-consumer and anti-competitive. We've been there hundreds of times. Stop with this, please.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had a pleasant experience with EGS when I installed it to play Fortnite and its still bare bones as a Store front, so anything that is ps4/EGS I'll just get on ps4.

I wonder if other gamers are doing this, like is ps4/xbox benefiting from this situation?