• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
There is a Watch It Played up for Tapestry. Finally get to see what it's all about

Seems fun! And it definitely is a Jamey Stegmaier game in style and spirit. I might check it out when it's out in retail.

The only thing for me is that the solo mode is played with an automa system. And while the automa in Scythe is very impressive in its mechanics, I never actually had much real fun playing with it. I might just need to give it another try, though.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Just a heads up that GamerNetwork (owners of EuroGamer) have launched their new dedicated boardgame channel called DiceBreaker today. There's an intro video and a couple of reviews, and it looks like a website is in the works. Could be good as Johnny Chiodini has moved over from EuroGamer to head it up - he's an all round good guy and I've enjoyed his videogame work previously. Intro video here:

If nothing else, interesting that a big player in video games is aiming to cover board and card games in this way.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fun! And it definitely is a Jamey Stegmaier game in style and spirit. I might check it out when it's out in retail.

The only thing for me is that the solo mode is played with an automa system. And while the automa in Scythe is very impressive in its mechanics, I never actually had much real fun playing with it. I might just need to give it another try, though.
Looks good! I can almost see how that could fit into 4 pages of rules, with the extensive reference sheets handling all the details.

Looks great! I'm gonna preorder when they go live sept 4th for sure

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while, but I played some board games with friends this weekend. We played Arctic Scavenger, Scythe, Love Letter, and Insider. Just wanted to share my thoughts on them here.

Arctic Scavengers
Still one of my favorite deck builders of all time. I love the deck building mechanic, and using your cards to fight for valuable resources at the end of rounds was always intense. Bluffing with a big hand of worthless cards (refugees with medkits) and winning will never not be fun.
My friends and I also enjoyed describing what our tribes were doing as we played our cards:
A: "I send out two Brawlers with spears!"
B: "I send out a family of four children who have no idea how to use this spear" *immediately loses*

Scythe
The heaviest game of the day. I've had the game for over a year and a half, and finally opened it up last Friday. I watched some YouTube videos on how to play, read the instruction manual, and played a few rounds. It was a lot easier than I thought! I spend about 15 minutes explaining the rules to my friends, then we got started. Everyone was pretty into the game, though the beginning was a bit slow as everyone had to remember the rules I taught them and had to figure out what they wanted to do. Only one battle took place during the game, we all had sought to increase Popularity and didn't want to lose any, especially once we all reached the highest tier. I ended up in second place with 66 points, and my friends took first with 77 and third with 54. I had lost due to resources; the friend who won had a huge stockpile that pushed him to victory. It took us about 2 hours to complete one game, but we all enjoyed it a lot.

Love Letter
We played lighter games after dinner. Love Letter is always a good choice for something quick and light.

Insider
A real gem from Oink Games. Has anyone else played this? Basically, it's like 20 Questions. One person is the "Master" who can only answer Yes/No/I don't know and everyone else is a "Common;" they ask the yes/no questions and try to guess the word within 5 minutes. However, one person in the guessing group is an "Insider" (or spy) and knows the answer. Once the correct answer is given, everyone (including the Master) discusses whether the person who guess the answer correctly is the Insider or not. If they all decide that he/she is the Insder is correct, then they win and the Insider loses. If they are wrong, then the person being accused reveals their identity as a Common, and then everyone then has to vote on who they think the Insider is. If the majority guess who the Insider is, they win. Otherwise, the Insider wins. Rounds go by fairly quickly, and it was fun accusing each other of being the Insider.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
By the Market Row problem I assume you mean some combination of everything is too expensive or nothing available has good synergy with the deck you're building. For the former Terror of London cards only cost 1-6 in game money, but money in general is a pretty rare resource and there are very few 6 money cards (we only saw 1 in our game). Obviously you could rng into starting with nothing but 5-6 money cards in the market to start, but the two unique character cards mixed into your deck along with your character's ability will help to quickly correct that problem either by destroying cards in the trade row or ensuring you have a hand with good money resource quickly.
The biggest problem with market rows is that there are bad cards and good cards. If the row gets clogged with a lot of bad cards then the game will often boil down to whoever manages to get good cards while everyone else is either locked out or simply left behind. Or even worse, a game can stagnate for multiple turns if a market row is filled with bad cards. Destroying cards is handy, but really these games demand either tiered market cards or gameplay that revolves around manipulating the market row. A good example is Valley of the Kings which manages to do both, and is one of the best non-Dominion deckbuilders out there as a result.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The biggest problem with market rows is that there are bad cards and good cards. If the row gets clogged with a lot of bad cards then the game will often boil down to whoever manages to get good cards while everyone else is either locked out or simply left behind. Or even worse, a game can stagnate for multiple turns if a market row is filled with bad cards. Destroying cards is handy, but really these games demand either tiered market cards or gameplay that revolves around manipulating the market row. A good example is Valley of the Kings which manages to do both, and is one of the best non-Dominion deckbuilders out there as a result.

I haven't played enough of Terrors of London to really get any idea about what cards are good or bad. Having played a lot of other deck builders I've never really seen this be an issue. More often then not you really should stop buying cards as to not bloat your deck anyways when you get into the later parts of the game.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm PUMPED for this one. I just signed up to be a "champion" on their website. It's $12 a year but you get free shipping on everything , easy /first shipping too. Tapestry is $10 to ship so I figured for $2 more I'll just be a champion.
I did the same thing back when it was announced, I figured I'd get free shipping on this and probably pick up something else eventually.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
What are people seeing in Tapestry which I'm not?

It looks like yet another light-mid weight SM game. Nothing about what they have shown indicates it is at all a civ building game- it looks like yet another fucking engine builder.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Tapestry looks gorgeous, but the mechanics just don't interest me at all. The tech cards seem like the more boring possible implementation of that concept I've seen in a game. Not really a Civ game at all.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
What are people seeing in Tapestry which I'm not?

It looks like yet another light-mid weight SM game. Nothing about what they have shown indicates it is at all a civ building game- it looks like yet another fucking engine builder.
It looks pretty, and that's enough for some people. Also, some people don't want to move beyond light-to-mid weight games, so it fits. I'll agree with you that it doesn't really look like a civ game, especially since there are no pre-requisites for the technologies. My group is fairly into engine-building games, so I'm sure it'll find its way into one of our collections.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
It looks pretty, and that's enough for some people. Also, some people don't want to move beyond light-to-mid weight games, so it fits. I'll agree with you that it doesn't really look like a civ game, especially since there are no pre-requisites for the technologies. My group is fairly into engine-building games, so I'm sure it'll find its way into one of our collections.

I'm happy to play lighter games- Istanbul is fantastic for example and really does a lot in it's time frame. But this doesn't seem to do anything new, at all. Just some fairly well trodden mechanics glued together and labelled as a Civ game. I can only imagine if this came to retail under another name it wouldn't get half the attention it is. :/

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to play lighter games- Istanbul is fantastic for example and really does a lot in it's time frame. But this doesn't seem to do anything new, at all. Just some fairly well trodden mechanics glued together and labelled as a Civ game. I can only imagine if this came to retail under another name it wouldn't get half the attention it is. :/
There's definitely a good portion of people in our hobby where aesthetics are extremely important. Stonemeier knows how to put out very pretty products.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Arctic Scavengers
Still one of my favorite deck builders of all time. I love the deck building mechanic, and using your cards to fight for valuable resources at the end of rounds was always intense. Bluffing with a big hand of worthless cards (refugees with medkits) and winning will never not be fun.
My friends and I also enjoyed describing what our tribes were doing as we played our cards:
A: "I send out two Brawlers with spears!"
B: "I send out a family of four children who have no idea how to use this spear" *immediately loses*
Yeah, it is an excellent game and likewise probably my favourite deckbuilder I have played so far.

"I send out a shovel....just a shovel.....hey! Don't laugh! This shovel proved itself to be our champion by tipping over and knocking out our strongest man!"

Or how we imagine recruiting a Hunter with only a bottle of pills works:
UnevenAdorableApisdorsatalaboriosa-size_restricted.gif

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I like the look of Tapestry especially for the exploration and spatial elements. I just wish that there was more conflict and direct interaction. I kinda hate this trend to avoid "negative conflict". But, I know I am in the minority here. I get it. I just feel like there are tons of games out there with little interaction and I feel a civ game should have some way for me to directly attack my opponent. Also, the design sort of feels very vanilla to me. Let's not offend anyone by putting religion in.. Let's not have conflict.. but it's a civilization game. I also worry that the tech doesn't have any progression so it feels sort of empty. The fun I have had in civilization games is from exploring (check), discovering (check), but the fighting, diplomacy and tech progression seem to be weak/non-existent here.

I know Jamey has his fans and I think he is a very good designer but this one just feels a bit flat still. I will keep looking into it but I still worry about what's missing in a game I like.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are a million Civ games that do those things.

I don't know if this comment's in favour of Tapestry or not..

My regular gaming people love Civ games. Love Civ games. We're always trying for the bestest, time proportionate Civ game we can find because we're all busy. We have stacks of 'em. A buddy has Mega Civ on the other extreme... . But the How-To-Play vid did not sell this as an engaging Civ game to me. There might be an engaging game there, but it's not showing the depth/breadth & conflict I look for in a Civ. I want to build an Empire.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with the Tapestry skepticism, and I'll extend it to Stonemaier games in general. They have germs of good ideas but they also have something offputting about them that keeps them from being great games. They do have great production values, and that can make up for a lot!

I haven't played enough of Terrors of London to really get any idea about what cards are good or bad. Having played a lot of other deck builders I've never really seen this be an issue. More often then not you really should stop buying cards as to not bloat your deck anyways when you get into the later parts of the game.
It's mostly a problem with the early turns when your hand is trash and there's no way to mitigate any challenges. There are deckbuilders out there which try to deal with this, but they're not all that common.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this comment's in favour of Tapestry or not..

My regular gaming people love Civ games. Love Civ games. We're always trying for the bestest, time proportionate Civ game we can find because we're all busy. We have stacks of 'em. A buddy has Mega Civ on the other extreme... . But the How-To-Play vid did not sell this as an engaging Civ game to me. There might be an engaging game there, but it's not showing the depth/breadth & conflict I look for in a Civ. I want to build an Empire.
It's pretty obvious that this isn't that. God knows there will be another one that comes along in 6 months or so. I've just never been into actual civ games because I've yet to find one that even approaches what I get out of playing Civilization on PC without being 6-8 hours long.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I agree with the Tapestry skepticism, and I'll extend it to Stonemaier games in general. They have germs of good ideas but they also have something offputting about them that keeps them from being great games. They do have great production values, and that can make up for a lot!

It's mostly a problem with the early turns when your hand is trash and there's no way to mitigate any challenges. There are deckbuilders out there which try to deal with this, but they're not all that common.

I guess that can be an issue in games like Hogwarts Battle or Legendary, but in a game like star realms or terrors of london which are solely pvp I find that issue works itself out since both players are limited by the market row being too expensive/having no synergy.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
well I saw Wingspan in the wild yesterday. I've been very intrigued by it since it came out and have wanted to play but I'm getting ready to move and there are too many games sitting on my shelf unplayed.

I feel like I did the right thing. There will be plenty of chances to pick this up especially after Tapestry gets released and everyone moves on to that.

Also there will be a Wingspan app at some point too so I can try it there before I go physical.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I actually fell asleep last night during the Watch It Played for Tapestry. Gonna have to try again. I don't think I have real comments on the game design yet but I didn't think the game art / graphic design was anything special. The buildings also look like playdough.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I recently went back home to Australia and was able to play quite a number of games. I'm not sure I've said it here before, but I've worked overseas in Malaysia for the past five years, and kind of stopped playing board games because I didn't want to drag them all the way over here. It's only been the last year or so, that my kids are getting a little older that I've thought about getting into gaming again. They're still way too young, but we've played a little Kingdomino and Barenpark and that sort of thing and they really like them.

Anyways Amazon is also a thing in Australia, and they also ship games from the US over A$49 so that's been a revelation. That said they've been piling up at my parents place which has been rather awkward, how many i've been getting vs actually having time to play them.

So while I was back I was able to get into a bunch of them and had some friends around which was fun.

Terraforming Mars - I think this tops Scythe for me as my favourite game. My brother is a similar level opponent and our games turn into epic battles trying to squeeze as many points out of engines as we can. There's so many avenues to get points that at some point you have to concede something and hope that the odds are in your favour. I love the draft variant and I love the corporate era cards. I even love the fact the games go for 4+ hours and feels really epic.

ECBgclAUwAARCoj

Splendor - Love the elegance of this one and all my friends who aren't really gamers enjoyed the game design too. This is one of the best gateway games for me.

7 Wonders - I like this game a lot, but I feel its a bit similar if you play this before/after Splendor like we did. The player is after discounts again instead of gems, its wood/clay/ore. It feels a little rote?

7 Wonders Duel - I'm going to have to say I like the original game more and if you have that, id just wait until you have 3 or 4 players to play 7 Wonders. It was very cheap on Amazon, so I figured why not.

Teotihuacan - This is a great game. Its real easy to teach, and honestly its not a very complex game at all, Im surprised by the weight of this on BGG (3.7). I love the starting variability. I think after a few plays, there might be some moves better than others (building houses is better earlier on) but other than that, this is very fun.

ECpYsACU4AEsQ0J

Here are some games I didn't have a chance to play but tried to -

Gloomhaven - This game is testing my patience to be quite honest. Granted, its probably because I only had a limited time back home, but I spent 3 nights trying to work out how to play. I get that the designer was going for 'the greatest game of all time' award for this game, but this game clearly tries to do TOO MUCH. The rules are also kind of incoherent and honestly took a couple of times to reread to understand. I'm honestly really hoping it turns out good in the end, after all I spent quite a bit getting it.

Legend of the Five Rings - I love the Game of Thrones LCG, so I figured I oughta get this too. After reading the rules and playing a sample round of this, I have to say its a bit similar to GoT LCG. L5R looks like a real fun game, but I think I would have like to stick with just the one LCG not two and honestly im not sure which to pick as I like both.

Lisboa - There's so much going on in this game, its kind of mind blowing. It's definitely the next level up. I highly recommend this if you're feeling a bit stale on other games as this is such a brain burner.

ECpeZeZUEAUYveS

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I like the look of Tapestry especially for the exploration and spatial elements. I just wish that there was more conflict and direct interaction. I kinda hate this trend to avoid "negative conflict". But, I know I am in the minority here. I get it. I just feel like there are tons of games out there with little interaction and I feel a civ game should have some way for me to directly attack my opponent. Also, the design sort of feels very vanilla to me. Let's not offend anyone by putting religion in.. Let's not have conflict.. but it's a civilization game. I also worry that the tech doesn't have any progression so it feels sort of empty. The fun I have had in civilization games is from exploring (check), discovering (check), but the fighting, diplomacy and tech progression seem to be weak/non-existent here.

I know Jamey has his fans and I think he is a very good designer but this one just feels a bit flat still. I will keep looking into it but I still worry about what's missing in a game I like.

I'm also on the 'wait and see' side for Tapestry. But I was a bit skeptical when I heard about it being a civ game, mostly because I'm a bit worn out on 'civ' games in general. A 'civ' game seems to have similar elements to each other, which is why they're called civ games, in most of them there's a map, and 'countries/nations' and there's some tech advancement over time. The process just seems too similar and if you deviate too much, its not a civ game anymore. From what I've seen, while there are some unique aspects like the capital city, there's a core that seems like its been done before. I believe the religion aspect just didn't fit what this game was trying to do, and Jamey is quite rightly leaving that out.

With Scythe, the theme (at least for me) felt fresh, and the mechanics were very focused on the puzzle element of the personal action board, a difficult puzzle to solve when combined with the starting position and resources of the nation.

Right now, I'd want to play Tapestry first before considering it, but I don't usually have that luxury and just buy games based on videos, so its probably a skip for now.

Also I got to say, if its going to cost as much as its expected to be (>$95), that would make me even less interested it. Considering that the landmarks could literally be replaced with a cardboard tile (i know that'd be kind of lame), because that would hold the same gameplay value, I have to question if Stonemaier is considerate of the gamer's wallet, which is weird, because ive considered their other games very good value.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Teotihuacan - This is a great game. Its real easy to teach, and honestly its not a very complex game at all, Im surprised by the weight of this on BGG (3.7). I love the starting variability. I think after a few plays, there might be some moves better than others (building houses is better earlier on) but other than that, this is very fun.

ECpYsACU4AEsQ0J
The weight rating on BGG can be really iffy at times. The problem is that it's highly dependent on who does the rating and what they're comparing said game to. Teotihuacan seems to be a middle-weight Euro game, and one of the first ones that people used to entry games tackle so skews higher. On the other hand, something like Waterloo 20 has a weight of somewhere around 2 because it's simple for a wargame and only wargamers are going to play it. Despite what the numbers say, Waterloo 20 is not just probably more complex, it's probably more complex than just about any non-wargame on BGG.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
The weight rating on BGG can be really iffy at times. The problem is that it's highly dependent on who does the rating and what they're comparing said game to. Teotihuacan seems to be a middle-weight Euro game, and one of the first ones that people used to entry games tackle so skews higher. On the other hand, something like Waterloo 20 has a weight of somewhere around 2 because it's simple for a wargame and only wargamers are going to play it. Despite what the numbers say, Waterloo 20 is not just probably more complex, it's probably more complex than just about any non-wargame on BGG.

Well the two games I played most last week were Terraforming Mars and Teotihuacan. I think TM is a 3.3 in weight. And Teotihuacan is 3.7.

On the basis of 3 plays of Teo and about 8 plays of TM, I actually find TM far more challenging due to the various ways of scoring. I think TM is kinda brutal to be really good at.

In terms of rules depth and game mechanics, neither are overly difficult.

I know they're a bit weird of a comparison but they're the two games I've played recently.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also on the 'wait and see' side for Tapestry. But I was a bit skeptical when I heard about it being a civ game, mostly because I'm a bit worn out on 'civ' games in general. A 'civ' game seems to have similar elements to each other, which is why they're called civ games, in most of them there's a map, and 'countries/nations' and there's some tech advancement over time. The process just seems too similar and if you deviate too much, its not a civ game anymore. From what I've seen, while there are some unique aspects like the capital city, there's a core that seems like its been done before. I believe the religion aspect just didn't fit what this game was trying to do, and Jamey is quite rightly leaving that out.

With Scythe, the theme (at least for me) felt fresh, and the mechanics were very focused on the puzzle element of the personal action board, a difficult puzzle to solve when combined with the starting position and resources of the nation.

Right now, I'd want to play Tapestry first before considering it, but I don't usually have that luxury and just buy games based on videos, so its probably a skip for now.

Also I got to say, if its going to cost as much as its expected to be (>$95), that would make me even less interested it. Considering that the landmarks could literally be replaced with a cardboard tile (i know that'd be kind of lame), because that would hold the same gameplay value, I have to question if Stonemaier is considerate of the gamer's wallet, which is weird, because ive considered their other games very good value.
This is where I think the disconnect for a lot of people comes in. It's a pretty basic 4 page rulebook game, that's highly streamlined. Yet the components and the (probable) price-point suggest a much more robust civ-style game. If it was designed to be about $45-50 (somewhere around what Wingspan actually retails for) I think there would be less complaints about what the game is designed to do or represent. It's just not the kind of design that can hold up a $85-100 price-point.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The next season of Exceed got announced, and it's....Shovel Knight. I love Exceed, and I like Shovel Knight, but I'm not really excited about yet another Shovel Knight crossover.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
This is where I think the disconnect for a lot of people comes in. It's a pretty basic 4 page rulebook game, that's highly streamlined. Yet the components and the (probable) price-point suggest a much more robust civ-style game. If it was designed to be about $45-50 (somewhere around what Wingspan actually retails for) I think there would be less complaints about what the game is designed to do or represent. It's just not the kind of design that can hold up a $85-100 price-point.

Only using this as an example as it was mentioned above, but Lisboa is a $90 game and much more of a Civ builder than Tapesty in all honesty. If I'm paying $100 I want it to be a meaty game with a tonne of variability, depth and content. Tapesty is absolutely not that.

On a happier note me and the GF got the new Aeons End content to the table and there is a definite power ramp on these mages now. They are super powerful and have more complexity at last- I'm hoping that later cards help make even more combos as there is definitely a hint of it in the intro game setup.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Had a nice boardgaming night yesterday with a friend who got a bunch of beers from work and needed somebody to help finish them.

First we played Clank! since I had bought it a couple of weeks ago. It was really good, although with just 2 players the Dungeon Row can be pretty slow to change at times. My victory point win came as a pretty big surprise, my friend got some Mercenaries really early and killed 3 big monsters from the dungeon row fairly quickly, giving him a ton of money and an early advantage because my own Mercenaries never really got good targets.

Then he got an early artifact and rushed back to starting point with his stacks of cash and I felt I was way too behind to win... but then i made my trip back as well, and during point-counting I realized i had amassed almost a dozen victory point cards and won by 12 points. Will play again, have to try the harder game board, and eventually the Mummy's Curse expansion as well.

The second game, while not as good, was an interesting experience in its own way. In Finland, there's this well-known boardgame called Afrikan Tähti ("Star of Africa"), made in 1951. Anyone here who has played board games as a kid, has likely played it once or twice.

Your goal is to travel around Africa to find the Star of Africa diamond and bring it to your starting location. You pay money to flip tiles in cities to find it, or you roll the dice if you're penniless for whatever reason. Super simple, highly luck-based, not particularly eventful, not a lot of interesting decisions to make.

Now, the reason my friend brought an old deeply flawed nostalgic title along, was that he had the a 2014 "Expeditions" expansion to Star of Africa. You pick a character with their own starting gear and special ability, you have gear cards with active and passive abilities, event cards, danger cards, hand cards that you can preserve and use for sabotaging others, actual combat between players, and a size check for you expedition based on your gear, where if your expedition is "complete", you can start the mid-game proper search for the diamond.

So it turns this old dice-rolling sim into an actual game with choices...
eKNiGJN.jpg
N5m6Ww3.jpg

... and yet, retaining most of the old rules, the game is at its core still incredibly luck-based even with new mechanics, as a streak of bad rolls for both players brought the game to a screeching halt. I spent several turns sitting in one city, with no money, drawing my event card for the turn and failing to roll a 4 or higher to flip the tile for possible money to get some momentum back.

And then at the end, I found the Star of Africa like 1-2 turns away from my starting city, and my friend basically had no counterplay at that point anymore because he was too far away to try to come and rob me, or find a lucky horse shoe and get to city first.

A supposed 45-90 minute game, took us 3 hours, and ended like that. It was interesting to see somebody try to salvage the original game, but even if our game may have been a worst-case scenario, the new mechanics seem like someone trying to patch a leaky boat with (admittedly super flavorful) duct tape.

Last edited:

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Angry Joe put up a new video about the progress on the Street Fighter Miniatures Game minis: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=irlPJMVAr40
They are still a ways off but they are looking great.

Yeah, I think it will still be a long while before we see this one, but I unlocked my pledge to see if I could add another base game to maybe resell at a later date. They were already sold out, so I continued to confirm it and lock it back in, but they now told me that my SFV expansions was sold out and it couldn't be confirmed, even though I had it locked in for months. I'm not super thrilled about it, and I'm hoping it's a glitch, but I'm not confirming anything until I get it back. My cart even saved everything I had locked in previously...

All that being said, the minis are coming along fine, and I think they will look pretty awesome, but I can't understand why we didn't see a little more play testing videos over the months. or at least videos talking about specific deck archetypes or something. I know they can't use assets but I don't understand why they couldn't use place holder cards like they did for the first few videos they put out.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think it will still be a long while before we see this one, but I unlocked my pledge to see if I could add another base game to maybe resell at a later date. They were already sold out, so I continued to confirm it and lock it back in, but they now told me that my SFV expansions was sold out and it couldn't be confirmed, even though I had it locked in for months. I'm not super thrilled about it, and I'm hoping it's a glitch, but I'm not confirming anything until I get it back. My cart even saved everything I had locked in previously...

All that being said, the minis are coming along fine, and I think they will look pretty awesome, but I can't understand why we didn't see a little more play testing videos over the months. or at least videos talking about specific deck archetypes or something. I know they can't use assets but I don't understand why they couldn't use place holder cards like they did for the first few videos they put out.
That's a bummer about the SFV expansion. They said that the pledge manager was closing before and could be reopened but anyone who didn't lock stuff down and pay for it before the end date would risk not being able to get certain things. There's shouldn't be any reason that would become sold out if you already secured it. I can't imagine the CrowdOx system is smart-enough to refund you and begin showing 1x copy of the expansion in stock immediately upon you unlocking your pledge manager either, so hopefully it's still there assigned to you on some document somewhere and Jasco can assist you.

I guess a lot of people are hyped for Mortal Kombat now that they have begun talking about it. I'm glad that they are holding off on the campaign for that until after Street Fighter has been fulfilled; enough Kickstarter-addicts to fund it would have rushed to pledge for it if it went live soon anyway but I personally wouldn't be willing to consider backing it until I've received Street Fighter. They've made a lot of promises and claims with Street Fighter (and Joe is still saying these minis will be "Sideshow quality," which is not even close to being true; they will look good but Sideshow action figures and statue show are on a whole 'nother level) and I'd need to make sure the game lives up to what they've promised before I can back another one.

That said, I'm not even super-hyped about Mortal Kombat. I mean, I've played the MK series since the first game came out on the Genesis and I don't mind the series. Its not something I feel like I need a board game of though. And I've never been on the "Street Fighter versus Mortal Kombat" train in my life, so combining the games doesn't enthuse me at all. I also don't care for the character designs of most new characters that have come since Deadly Alliance. I may back it and just get the core box plus whatever expansion has Reptile, rather than go all-in like with Street Fighter.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
That's a bummer about the SFV expansion. They said that the pledge manager was closing before and could be reopened but anyone who didn't lock stuff down and pay for it before the end date would risk not being able to get certain things. There's shouldn't be any reason that would become sold out if you already secured it. I can't imagine the CrowdOx system is smart-enough to refund you and begin showing 1x copy of the expansion in stock immediately upon you unlocking your pledge manager either, so hopefully it's still there assigned to you on some document somewhere and Jasco can assist you.

I guess a lot of people are hyped for Mortal Kombat now that they have begun talking about it. I'm glad that they are holding off on the campaign for that until after Street Fighter has been fulfilled; enough Kickstarter-addicts to fund it would have rushed to pledge for it if it went live soon anyway but I personally wouldn't be willing to consider backing it until I've received Street Fighter. They've made a lot of promises and claims with Street Fighter (and Joe is still saying these minis will be "Sideshow quality," which is not even close to being true; they will look good but Sideshow action figures and statue show are on a whole 'nother level) and I'd need to make sure the game lives up to what they've promised before I can back another one.

That said, I'm not even super-hyped about Mortal Kombat. I mean, I've played the MK series since the first game came out on the Genesis and I don't mind the series. Its not something I feel like I need a board game of though. And I've never been on the "Street Fighter versus Mortal Kombat" train in my life, so combining the games doesn't enthuse me at all. I also don't care for the character designs of most new characters that have come since Deadly Alliance. I may back it and just get the core box plus whatever expansion has Reptile, rather than go all-in like with Street Fighter.

Yeah I appreciate them waiting until we can test this game out before launching the next, but I certainly won't be going all-in for MK. I may get the core box if that. I'm honestly just hoping the DBZ version still happens, but I'm having doubts considering how long this one has taken to make. I certainly wouldn't be prone to cross over with DB and SF, but I guess making them compatible would still be a nice bonus. I'm just hoping this game ends up being worth the wait. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the "Sideshow" collectible comment was funny.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Finally got to play Wingspan tonight.
Wingspan-Header.jpg

Birds! I love engine building games where you slowly put together turns that stack really great bonuses, and your friends go, "Stop it!!" My friends and I reference this video often when we play games like this.

"Oh. He's tapping his cows again!"

The game is nicely produced, as you can see above with the pretty player mats. There's also a little dice tower in the shape of a birdhouse, and the art on all the cards is consistently nice. Totally my group's kind of game, so we were quite happy with it. I wanted to play a second time, but my friends wanted to sleep like losers! Apples_mmmmmmmm

Oct 25, 2017
Wingspan-Header.jpg

Birds! I love engine building games where you slowly put together turns that stack really great bonuses, and your friends go, "Stop it!!" My friends and I reference this video often when we play games like this.

The game is nicely produced, as you can see above with the pretty player mats. There's also a little dice tower in the shape of a birdhouse, and the art on all the cards is consistently nice. Totally my group's kind of game, so we were quite happy with it. I wanted to play a second time, but my friends wanted to sleep like losers! Apples_mmmmmmmm

Now you gotta get all the upgrades!

Oct 25, 2017
Wingspan-Header.jpg

Can confirm, I am a loser. As an added benefit, one of the birds in the game even looks like a monkey!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Can confirm, I am a loser. As an added benefit, one of the birds in the game even looks like a monkey!
Hahaha. Yeah. The American Vulture looked like a monkey from a distance for all three of us.

Also, did you see a video on Tapestry was posted at the top? I hope it's good, because I want it.

--
Edit: GrimGrinningGuy , do you think I'd like Root?

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I appreciate them waiting until we can test this game out before launching the next, but I certainly won't be going all-in for MK. I may get the core box if that.

That's where I'm at. If I dig SF as much as I think I will I could see grabbing one or two boxes of MK at most. And a lot of the reason for that is to do a bit of crossover now and then if desired. What could kill that idea though is if they can do a retro ninja packs. I fear what I'd do if that were a thing.