• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
They would still be suffering from the same issues? Xbox also has supply chain issues. PS5 is still selling well, they clearly just want a few more consoles out there for Horizon and God of War.

They are also making a million, so it is not really doom and gloom.
Lol it's only doom and gloom if you've picked a team for whatever bizarre reason. All they're saying is that if Sony had invested in a system requiring less manufacturing resources then they would be less supply limited than they are now. Of course PS5 is doing great, just that it's clear that Microsoft is gaining some significant ground due to what ended up being a pretty savvy choice. It's a good thing that all manufacturers are doing well even if it comes somewhat at the market share leader's market share

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
1 million PS4's are not a big deal. For context, all PlayStation consoles are produced long after their successor is released.

PS1: Stopped production in 2006
PS2: Stopped production in 2013
PS3: Stopped production in 2017

Sony is going to be producing PS4 consoles for a few more years at least. That will not affect their current game development plans.

Quit trying to shove logic and perspective down our throats.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If they wanted long legs on PS4 sales, they should have dropped the price and come out with a new model. The games are certainly still there.

I think they missed the boat on this.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is grim for enthusiasts, folks who already own PS4s and just want a new piece of kit. I really hope we see the stock situation improving by year's end for those still without new consoles but I'm not terribly optimistic right now.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news. Finding a new PS4 in Canada has been even harder than finding a PS5.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This is grim for enthusiasts, folks who already own PS4s and just want a new piece of kit. I really hope we see the stock situation improving by year's end for those still without new consoles but I'm not terribly optimistic right now.
I feel like it isn't grim for enthusiasts. All this shit will be in the past eventually

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If they wanted long legs on PS4 sales, they should have dropped the price and come out with a new model. The games are certainly still there.

I think they missed the boat on this.
They're already selling everything they have at the current price, why would they lower the price? That will just create even more of a shortage on PS4's. Same with a new model, they want to keep it the same so they don't have to change manufacturing lines or require new resources.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
They're already selling everything they have at the current price, why would they lower the price? That will just create even more of a shortage on PS4's.

Yeah good point.

I just meant if they were looking for a PS2 style tail that would have been the plan years in advance. Of course everything's been turned upside down in any case!

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
"The strategy would add about a million PS4 units this year"

that's it? 4 pages for one mil over a year? lol I mean if they can make it and if it doesn't impact PS5 production capacity, why not? In the grand scheme of things this is such small amount.

Did Sony tell its partners that this was due to offsetting some of the PS5 demand? Because I wasn't sure if that was just the authors speculation or not.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of overeaction in this thread, damn lol

1 million extra PS4s isn't even that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty sure they would have never greenlit this if it meant making a serious dent in PS5 production.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
At one point Sony was selling 17-20 million PS4's per fiscal. Now 1 million being manufactured one year into current gen is being used by some people as a sign that Sony is clearly never going to make a PS5 exclusive ever again and that people may as well wait for PS6.

The smirk on my face right now. I'm dying here.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
They're just extending the life of PS4. Not sure exactly what the big deal is when the issue is pretty much out of their control. The whole chip shortage thing is just shitty all round

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
The last PS2 game was 2014 for example. 2020 for the last Wii game (though not Sony related)

Point is

Everyone gotta calm downnnn

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
PS3 stopped production in 2017 but did y'all see Bloodborne on it?

the reactions here are something lol. I get the frustration behind not getting a unit but some cross-gen arguments are just nonsensical

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I haven't seen a single PS4 on any retailer for months and thought they moved on. I guess that's plan B with how hard it becomes to produce more PS5's now.
I'm expecting TLoU remake and some other cross-gen announcement this year. There are simply not enough PS5's so far for them to do current-gen only releases.

The longer this goes on the more I will consider even trying to get a PS6.

All the PS5 does is try to nickel & dime me for slightly nicer versions of PS4 games.

I've been using mine as PS4 Pro 2. :p

We have a console for those that can't get a PS5, the PS4.

haha yep.

Oct 25, 2017
People realize new PS4's are also selling out of stock and are hard to come by.

seems like pretty simple supply and demand if they have PS4 components on hand.

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
Raw materials aren't exactly what's causing shortages, it's manufacturing capacity—specifically for smaller node sizes than what the PS4 uses so it's not like they can just convert PS4 manufacturing over to PS5 manufacturing.
Ahhh thanks a lot for the clarification. A bit of strategy also from the article
"Increasing production orders by adding the cheaper-to-make PS4 would also give Sony more leeway when negotiating with manufacturing partners for a better deal". So, companies can strike better deals with suppliers ensuring that they receive more in detriment of others. As such i think it's safe to say the true reason for the shortage is apple, since they are the biggest company out there, and they should have ensured that all the chips go their way. Fuck Konami.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I'm not gonna give money to scalpers and already having a ps4, I guess I'm not gonna have a ps5 for another year. oh well.
Not too many games i want to play on it anyway.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems, by reading the article, that the main reason behind this is to have a better position than competition when negotiating with manufacturers when production improves, while at the same time having a bit more ps4 stock isn't a bad idea at all since seems relatively hard to find too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If they could get the price down a good bit and keep making them there's a good chance that the PS4 can sell a load more, like the PS2 did. The PS2 was selling for about £99 by now.

Currently the PS4 slim sells for more than a Series S does and it's less available. It's only marginally cheaper than a PS5 DE. But people still want them! Especially with all of Sony's big 2022 games announced so far being crossgen still. My nephews got one for Christmas.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
A bunch of extra PS4s to sit on shelves while they also release PS4 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, GT7 and GOW Ragnarok, seems a pretty reasonable move to me especially considering how severe the stock issues are for PS5 at the moment

Oct 27, 2017
One million?

You would think Sony is making 10 million + seeing the reactions. This is not even enough for it to be a backup plan.

Psp got a new version around the Vita release days. This is nothing.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was the pro. I know since it stopped production the second hand cost of it is almost the cost of what I paid new, good for those getting rid of their's I suppose.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Lol it's only doom and gloom if you've picked a team for whatever bizarre reason. All they're saying is that if Sony had invested in a system requiring less manufacturing resources then they would be less supply limited than they are now. Of course PS5 is doing great, just that it's clear that Microsoft is gaining some significant ground due to what ended up being a pretty savvy choice. It's a good thing that all manufacturers are doing well even if it comes somewhat at the market share leader's market share
But every PS5 is able to handle PSVR2. Hypothetical PS5S could not decently do that.

1 million of PS4s is nothing. PS3, PS2 and PS1 sold a lot more after successor release.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
But every PS5 is able to handle PSVR2. Hypothetical PS5S could not decently do that.

1 million of PS4s is nothing. PS3, PS2 and PS1 sold a lot more after successor release.
What does a relatively niche peripheral have anything to do with my assessment of being able to produce more in a supply shortage? A PS5S in this case would run the games at subnative

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Interesting stuff. A million consoles doesn't sound like a lot though, probably a small course correction in the grand scheme of things

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
User Warned: Platform Warring
Just shows how far ahead MS was with the Series S approach.
How? They predicted the pandemic? Damn it WAS Bill Gates behind all of this??😳

A lot of members in this thread seem to forget that PS5 is selling better then Series S and X combined.🤓

What Sony doesn't need right now is producing a new lower spec PS5… PS5/PS5 Digital is good enough.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
How? They predicted the pandemic? Damn it WAS Bill Gates behind all of this??😳

A lot of members in this thread seem to forget that PS5 is selling better then Series S and X combined.🤓

What Sony doesn't need right now is producing a new console… PS5/PS5 Digital is good enough.
What's with all the smileys lol it would be better for everyone if Sony produced a console which is immediately available

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe that they were planning on completely stopping production of the PS4 before this, that has to be just speculation.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
1 million consoles is literally nothing
They have to be producing more than that right?
A $199 PS4 Digital Edition would fly off shelves but I don't think Sony is interested in a budget model

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just shows how far ahead MS was with the Series S approach.
Not just that, but decoupling their games from consoles. They don't rely on consoles for massive sales of next gen exclusives like Starfield. Just masterful planning and execution all round.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Based on the latest estimates, that's not the case at all now.
Well, PS5 numbers were around 14 million by the end of October. And all are sold. There's no stock.We have an estimated 12 million Series consoles shipped mid January, that is almost 3 months later that 14 million figure. And while Series X is as unavailable as Ps5, series S is not.
So, it could perfectly be 11 million sold vs 17-18 for PS5 right now. Close to 2x.