• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I'm confused. Wasn't the initial report by Bloomberg that Sony had upped production to 10 million units by the same time-frame? When did this change?

"Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.

The electronics giant has informed assembly partners and suppliers it's radically increasing orders for its next-generation console, though logistics may yet pose a challenge to delivering all those machines on time for the holiday shopping season, the people said, asking to remain anonymous. Sony had previously aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021."
ya i remember something about this too. but holy cow. they trying to get first to 10million in 3 to 4 months.

Oct 27, 2017
Think if I get a PS5 (digital edition), I'll just wait until I can walk in the store and get one. Don't need one day 1 and definitely not quick enough to get a pre-order in on time.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
If I don't get at least one unit...

tenor.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tl;dr what is meant by "yield?"
500px-360mm2_wafer_yield_0.05pcm2.svg.png

Imagine this is a big "sheet" of processors. Each square is one processor. The green squares represent the yield, which is the number of manufactured processors that are in working condition. So a yield problem, in this case, means there is a higher ratio of defective processors than anticipated, meaning they're losing usable processors, so they had to readjust their shipping forecast.

This is how processors are manufactured, in a nutshell.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, crazy, though that's still higher than I thought it would be (thought they were producing 10m, but they've cut to 11m).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So much to digest:

Production yields caused them to cut production....

.....expected price of the consoles is....$449/$399.....

wtf....

That amount was my violent Sony prediction....

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
No need for some super advanced knowledge here.

Just think this way: every time you build something, spending money and materials, there's a 50% chance that it'll be unusable.

Does that sound good?

Maybe. If it's that way for everybody there's no problem. The final price cover those costs and keep doing business.

I remember that some sand cast parts of cars are really bad on this.

Without a reference we can't say if its bad or normal.

We know they made more CUs than are needed. So failure must be really comum.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So much to digest:

Production yields caused them to cut production....

.....expected price of the consoles is....$449/$399.....

wtf....

That amount was my violent Sony prediction....

It's not predicted price, it's lowest/best case scenario. A 50% yield doesn't look good for that pricing unless Sony is all in on eating a ton of loss early on.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe 50% if it was just in regards to the first million in production or so.

Also Albert Penello commented on yields some months ago and he obviously has some experience with console launches. Not a silicon expert in particular but still

Oh that's a good question. I'm not sure I have a strong opinion. Since yields affect the cost, it's sort of a circular conversation. It also has a time-horizon perspective since the yields for the first, say, million consoles are somewhat irrelevant to the yields long-term.

I can't imagine either company making a call that would hurt the long term ability to get good yields. So long term almost certainly a wash.

As to the short term, so long as the shipping chips are what was originally spec'd with AMD then I can't see a meaningful difference.

I would guess, all things equal, that a larger or more complex chip would have more opportunities for failure than a smaller but faster chip on the manufacturing side but I'm NOT a silicon development expert so my POV shouldn't be weighed more heavily than anyone else.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
No need for some super advanced knowledge here.

Just think this way: every time you build something, spending money and materials, there's a 50% chance that it'll be unusable.

Does that sound good?

This is just the SoC, which is produced on silicon wafers. Every wafer has defects so I wouldn't say 50% is uncommon. Some designs just account for defects more than others. PS3 had one of the SPUs disabled to improve yield, AMD 8-core processors get binned down to their 6-core model if there are defects, etc.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You'd have to wonder if the high frequency of the GPU side is why it's failing at a higher rate. Going out on a limb, but I'd guess it's still considerably cheaper to make PS5 SOC's than XSX SOC's.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The 11m for March should be included in the title I think. It's still a very high number for March considering sony only announced they've sold 10m PS4 nearly a year after its launch.

www.theverge.com

Sony has sold 10 million PlayStation 4s

Worldwide sales have doubled since February

Can't imagine the demand will be that high if the price is 599 lol, they're definitely aiming for 399/449/499

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
It's not the expected price, it's the cheapest expected price Sony could go.

The production issues are strange. I guess we will found out soon about the real pricing etc...

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
10 million by end of year. 15 by End of March. Now it's 11 by end of March.
The text in question:

" ソニーは、年内に発売する次世代ゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)5」の今期(2021年3月期)の生産台数を400万台下方修正し、約1100万台と想定していることが明らかになった。"

This mentions Sony has cut production by 4 million and that 11 million is the new estimated number.
That was regarding this calendar year. This new news is regarding this fiscal year.

I could be wrong, but I was sure this was 11 million up until end of March 2021 as referenced by the second part of the quote?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume the yield issues are because of the throttling. I also don't think demand is going to be there, especially if a second wave of the virus comes and is bad.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the real story is they seriously tried to produce 15m of these mothafuckas by March. Is demand gon be that crazy?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I actually don't think the PS5 will sell out. I was able to get a PS4 for a few weeks after it's November launch (chose not to). And that was in 2013. Looking like no stimulus check so I'm not sure the demand will be as high as I suspect. But my amazon account needs to be updated regardless