• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Pandemic tho? You think demand will still be high with the job losses and such? Job losses have been very steady as in steadily bad.
These new consoles will sell out to the hardcore crowd no matter what. How sales hold up after the launch window is gonna be the interesting part.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Wasn't the initial report by Bloomberg that Sony had upped production to 10 million units by the same time-frame? When did this change?

"Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.

The electronics giant has informed assembly partners and suppliers it's radically increasing orders for its next-generation console, though logistics may yet pose a challenge to delivering all those machines on time for the holiday shopping season, the people said, asking to remain anonymous. Sony had previously aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021."

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
If they get 11M chips at a 50% yield, that means they were going to fabricate 22M chips. If they originally expected 15M chips, their expected yield rate was 68%. This is going to make BOM more expensive.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Indeed. Safer prediction is still
449 and 499
I just don't see them undercutting them this time. There's absolutely zero need to. When ps4 launched, the exclusives were not as good as they are now. They have just a stable of great games and IP now. And, even if the intent is to undercut, MS would just match them. Phil has said they're going to remain agile on price. If they both match at 449, they both lose money they don't need to lose

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't doubt there might be SoC yield issues but 50% bin rate is lol

What does that mean?
Pandemic tho? You think demand will still be high with the job losses and such? Job losses have been very steady as in steadily bad.
I can see people getting it just to sell it at a higher price. Especially in these times.
Well if I remember correctly, the PS4 hit 6 million in March 2014. Producing ~11 million till March 2021 sounds good.
(It's a new PlayStation, so it will be sold out anyway :P)
Bundy, I need one, I have to play Miles Morales. ;_;

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused. Wasn't the initial report by Bloomberg that Sony had upped production to 10 million units by the same time-frame? When did this change?

"Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.

The electronics giant has informed assembly partners and suppliers it's radically increasing orders for its next-generation console, though logistics may yet pose a challenge to delivering all those machines on time for the holiday shopping season, the people said, asking to remain anonymous. Sony had previously aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021."
10 million by end of year. 15 by End of March. Now it's 11 by end of March.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Sony cited lockdowns as the reason for increased production

from Bloomberg's article (Google translate):

In July, the company informed its parts suppliers that it would double its production volume, considering that the consumption of nesting due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection would support demand even after the year-end sales season.

Oct 28, 2017
This gif might need to be updated then.

MQRgBTyBF9gppn6wNeXwKG91510Gqj3DEFNexoimE-0.gif

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

The text in question:

" ソニーは、年内に発売する次世代ゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)5」の今期(2021年3月期)の生産台数を400万台下方修正し、約1100万台と想定していることが明らかになった。"

This mentions Sony has cut production by 4 million and that 11 million is the new estimated number.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
From my understanding defects. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. The SOC needs to hit a certain performance level and if they don't they are not usable.

I'm pretty sure, these SoC have more CUs than the final spec. So they can disable some and use more parts. Like, PS5 has 36 CUs, the die has, I don't know, 40.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I thought the original plan was 10 million by March 31? 11 million still sounds like a crazy amount.
Original production plan was 6m by end of 2020. They then raised it to 10m by end of 2020. This seems to not affect the consoles already being produced and intended to be sold by end of march. Strange.

New wave of FUD incoming.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Welp. I got another preorder due in December for a transformer toy so I guess I'll wait til next year for the ps5 and hopefully avoid getting a defective early unit.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
About a 0% chance Sony is releasing a console with a 50% yield chip in it folks.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Does yield issues mean that there might be units with those problems but somehow we're missed by quality control?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In the translated Bloomberg article, it does state that yields are improving past the initial 50%, but aren't stable yet.

According to the person concerned, the yield of SOC has been sluggish at about 50%, and the production volume has to be reviewed. He said that the yield is improving, but the quality has not reached a stable level.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Why would anyone get the digital for only $50 less? You will make that money up the first time you resell a new game you finished playing. I can imagine that at least once in the console generation, you would sell a game you finished.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring. Permanent threadban
People saying this must affect Xbox too

remember how high they are clocking those GPUs so they could say it was 10tf 😂

Nov 8, 2017
Likewise. What are NORMAL expected yields for a brand new SOC at console launch. These are clearly above expectations, but by how much?

There was a rumour that AMD's CPUs were getting 70%+ yields early on for first gen 7nm, which was considered good considering it was a brand new node (this was in 2019). The yields would be higher now.

When Intel's first gen 10nm products had 10% yields that was abysmal and nowhere near good enough for mass production.

I strongly doubt anybody has full stats for this, it's usually confidential.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does yield issues mean that there might be units with those problems but somehow we're missed by quality control?
SoC go through rigorous validation before being marked as fit to be used in products. Usual flaws that end up occur some where else like design/manufacturing issue in the case of the 360 RROD.