• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Was gonna get the game on the Switch but I'm going to settle for the superior PC version. Cant go wrong with the PC, i'm finding.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
What a great port the Switch version is, not only it runs like shit but it crashed after I read a book in a library, while I was farming before. All that farming went down the drain so add crashes on the features of this port, really disappointing.
Ugh... I wanted this for the portable, but I guess I'll wait to see if they fix it. So bummed this is a thing but grateful for the heads up.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone with the Switch version unlocked the
Accelerator
ability? How does the game hold up with the use of that?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
hasnt had a single crash on PC. 40 hours now.
PC crashes are definitely a thing too.

Anyone else getting a crash on PC after starting a file on the first loading screen?
Not sure what's going on, but ever since beating a certain duo, my game has been freezing every 20 or so minutes. So I was reasonably far in before this issue starting affecting me. Now it has become pretty terrifying. My last crash was mid boss-fight for example. I play on PC, anyone else have similar issues?
Having the game hard crash very often now on PC. About 75% of the map complete. Anyone know how to avoid these hard freezes? As in anything specific causing it? It wasn't doing this before, so i'm assuming its some sort of combo or something.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I did used a level 7 Grinder on her (and a level 7 silver knight), and while it looked like it was doing some good damage, I'd run out of magic juice before I could kill her, afterwhich she destroys me.

I would invest in some ethers, try to make some food that gives a bonus to mana regen and use the best 2 hander you have. I tapped my mana as well but finished her off not long after. Her movements are kind of erratic, your best chance to put out big burst damage would be to crouch behind her once she starts her big blood beam attack and go hard with the grinder and your weapon then.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So I'm nearing that 100% for items, but I'm missing a few things I can't really seem to get my head around.
There are some weapons I'm missing, could anyone tell me which they are and perhaps where I might find them?

The hat between Recycled hat and Valkyrie tiara
The boots after Hermes boots
The weapon after Garnwennan
Weapon after Kazikli,
Weapon after Fragarach
Weapon after Bandit Blade

Is there perhaps a list somewhere when I can check all items?

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Input lag, or even just feeling like it's there because of really slow animations, is probably my worst pet peeve in games. I was considering a double dip at some point to get this portable, but if they don't, or worse: can't, patch it then I'll be taking a hard pass and probably jump to PC if the PS4 version doesn't get performance and minor bug patching. My worry is that the input is tied to the framerate (like usual) and cannot be fixed or even adjusted, since the game isn't going to run above 30fps unless they make significant changes to it.

My side worry about this is that UE4 isn't well optimized for Switch or devs are overcommitting resources with it as though it were a system with more memory and CPU available and would rather keep visual parity than playable parity.
The UE4 excuse doesn't hold weight really. Switch games running on that engine can still perform better than this, we've seen it. This is clearly a case of the developers prioritizing the other versions, and the bare minimum effort was put into the Switch port simply to keep the promise they made to release it on that system. What's worse is the week-long delay was not meant to improve the game at all, clearly. It was probably done to keep the negative response to a minimum, so the other versions can create a better first impression. That's obviously speculation, but I can't think of any other reason for the delay, especially when Switch copies were out there in the wild already.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone here got the Item collector achievement already? any tips, guides, etc?
It's a grind. I'm still working on it. (89%)
Whats helping me was going through each category and subcategory of thing to just keep things straight and see consistent progress.
So I'll spend a night getting all the Katanas or guns or clubs, etc. The annoying part is farming drops to craft things. Food being a huge offender. Basically jack your luck to the roof (Valkyrie gear and luck food ASAP) and run a couple plunder rings to help facilitate things. If you can, the upgraded detective eye skill is handy for reducing cycle time too. Also there's a couple item guides out there that shows what enemy drops what item. It's faster to ctrl+f those than go through the in game bestiary.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what annoys me most about the game are the backer portrays. i didn't even know that this was a reward but when i saw the first one i immediately knew. so out of place seeing these goofy faces.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a grind. I'm still working on it. (89%)
Whats helping me was going through each category and subcategory of thing to just keep things straight and see consistent progress.
So I'll spend a night getting all the Katanas or guns or clubs, etc. The annoying part is farming drops to craft things. Food being a huge offender. Basically jack your luck to the roof (Valkyrie gear and luck food ASAP) and run a couple plunder rings to help facilitate things. If you can, the upgraded detective eye skill is handy for reducing cycle time too. Also there's a couple item guides out there that shows what enemy drops what item. It's faster to ctrl+f those than go through the in game bestiary.
i see. 77.1% here. i wish the game kept track of it like the shards. it was totally fine to farm for those, as it was easy to understand what i missed.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The UE4 excuse doesn't hold weight really. Switch games running on that engine can still perform better than this, we've seen it. This is clearly a case of the developers prioritizing the other versions, and the bare minimum effort was put into the Switch port simply to keep the promise they made to release it on that system. What's worse is the week-long delay was not meant to improve the game at all, clearly. It was probably done to keep the negative response to a minimum, so the other versions can create a better first impression. That's obviously speculation, but I can't think of any other reason for the delay, especially when Switch copies were out there in the wild already.
Just because some games can run fine on the system doesn't mean they all will or that extra care shouldn't be put into porting it. As it is, this really is just being ported since the PS4 was very much the likely target system (maybe PC version, but that's not much work these days) and the porting to Switch was not handled by the main dev team. IIRC Yoshi's Crafted World is also using UE4 and was made specifically for the Switch and still has performance problems at times. this is what happens when you target visual parity rather than performance and you simply will not get the same performance from a Switch game using the same engine as a PS4 game without making more sacrifices.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at 65% on the PS4 version and last night I spent a couple of hours with the Switch version so I could see how that turned out and since I backed for a copy on each platform.

While I think some of the criticisms of the Switch version are definitely valid, I feel there is an awful lot of hyperbole going around making it seem like its a terrible port. I think it is perfectly fine. Had I not played the PS4 version I probably wouldn't notice the lower resolution or the 30fps. It feels fine for the most part. Maaaybe a hair slower but that could be because I'm just so used to the PS4's higher framerate after so much time.

Oddly enough, the thing that stuck out most for me was that backer portraits are blurry in the Switch version as if they somehow didn't survive the change to the lower resolution. It's weird. I guess if I were one of those people and this were my only version, that'd be a bummer. But also those things shouldn't be there in the first place, IMO. Otherwise, the performance issues don't really seem so strange to me since it doesn't run perfectly even on the PS4 Pro. Slight hangs when transitioning screens at times, a bit of slowdown, etc. The game just doesn't run perfectly on any platform, so I think its unfair to hold that against the Switch.

Anyway, if the Switch version were my only copy of the game, I would still be happy. I'm glad I have it for PS4 as well, but when I want my Bloodstained fix on the go, the Switch version is perfectly fine.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Disabling super sampling option in the PS4 Pro menu improves the performance on those specific areas or the game runs at 4K regardless that option?

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
With how much of a mess the Switch version is, should we ask for refunds? The performance is terrible. Especially after 505 said all of these issues would be fixed before launch.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
With how much of a mess the Switch version is, should we ask for refunds? The performance is terrible. Especially after 505 said all of these issues would be fixed before launch.

It would be nice if we had the option to swap to a different platform after the fact, but anything along those lines seems incredibly unlikely.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Please dont spread misinformation, some users come to this thread for first impressions/performance issues... you can say it doesnt bother you how it runs on the Switch but the port is not good, that isnt debatable.
I started playing the Switch version last night and haven't had any issues with it. It also looks perfectly fine. Don't be hyperbolic.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
what annoys me most about the game are the backer portrays. i didn't even know that this was a reward but when i saw the first one i immediately knew. so out of place seeing these goofy faces.

Yup, they are really out of place. I get the idea and I event hink that having then as portraits fits the general anesthetic of the game but they should have found an other way of making them look less goofy and more like actual portraits. Or give us the possibility of toggle between backer-portraits and actual paintings.

The cat is fine tho :)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I feel there is an awful lot of hyperbole going around making it seem like its a terrible port. I think it is perfectly fine.

Hyperbole on the internet sounds about right. This makes sense to me. Usually things like this are often blown way out of proportion.

I've been really wanting this game recently and sort of intentionally held back on finding out too much about it so I could go in as blind as I could.

Thanks for your post, I'm sure I won't mind the issues very much.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I hope they tread carefully with patching. Iron out performance and game ruining bugs, but l really want some of the game breaking bugs to stay. Wouldn't mind them patching out of bound skips, but they really shouldn't patch the air tatsu infinite jump cancel, that bug would do wonders for reputability.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing the Switch version last night and haven't had any issues with it. It also looks perfectly fine.
I got a backer Switch copy. Made it to the castle. I love the game so far, but I bought the PS4 version. The frame rate doesn't bother me, but the visuals are just too chunky. I also had weird stutters during cutscenes and audio bugs.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyperbole on the internet sounds about right. This makes sense to me. Usually things like this are often blown way out of proportion.

I've been really wanting this game recently and sort of intentionally held back on finding out too much about it so I could go in as blind as I could.

Thanks for your post, I'm sure I won't mind the issues very much.
Right on. Its a great game anywhere you can play it, IMO. The music rocks, the action is satisfying, and the atmosphere is great. I expect this will do really well on Switch and most people will be pretty happy with it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Same. For me it's a mix of not liking their out of place faces and jealousy that these people could afford a higher backer tier than I could.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to assume if I wasn't bothered by the ports of doom, wolfenstein, dead cells, crash trilogy, mortal kombat, CTR and xenoblade (undocked), then bloodstained won't phase me at all.

Deleted member 19868

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so disappointed that I backed for Switch. The port is such a piece of shit. Fuck me for wanting a portable version and for having a dead PS4 and dead PC I guess. It won't save my backer ID, crashes constantly, has disappearing textures, and has dropped into single digit frames when doing things like "inspecting a bookshelf" or "entering a big room." I knew it would be downgraded, but I thought they'd at least try to compensate with a steady 30 FPS. It's probably worse for me because I'm playing undocked. I don't have a TV anymore :/

Maybe if I sell it fast enough I'll at least get $20 and be able to buy a new game.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather than performance and graphics, my biggest issue so far has been the saving system. Twice so far I've lost 15m+ of progress just for taking the wrong way and missing a save room and then dying. Infuriating.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather than performance and graphics, my biggest issue so far has been the saving system. Twice so far I've lost 15m+ of progress just for taking the wrong way and missing a save room and then dying. Infuriating.
i played my first hour and a half without saving and then i died. didn't even occur to me that the game would just boot you back to the beginning if you didn't save. that was a hard lesson learned.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions of Switch handheld mode? All I can find is docked mode comparisons.
I've only played to the second area, but so far it's... not great, not unplayable.

Graphics are noticably sub-720p so everything looks a bit soft. Interface aside (which is rendered at native res) it reminds me of a 3DS game maybe but I'm not sure how accurate that comparison is. [EDIT: Probably not very, 3DS is 240p and it's not that bad. I would believe 480p.] I have trouble spotting some environment details to interact with like weak walls, chests etc but replies here suggests this might be a general issue due to lack of contrast.

There's definitely input lag. So far frame rate has been solid in combat, some big dips in cutscenes (whatever), during dialogue and a strange one where it dips after talking to an NPC, persisting until I leave the room.

It's not straight up terrible but I constantly wish the graphics had a little bit of clarity and less input lag. I'm honestly a bit disappointed they couldn't manage 720p60 for a sidescroller. Maybe they should have gone faux-16/32-bit graphics, even if it meant prerendered 3D sprites?

I'll probably just take the hit and buy it again for PC and be glad the game exists.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Just for information bloodstained has about 1570 screens worth of areas. (good luck to the chaps wanting to do a 2D demake... )
at 16:9 resolution ratio
SOTN has about 1660-1680 screens (depending if you count inaccessible blank skies), at a little shorter than (1.14:1) resratio aspect ratio

So 1 bloodstained screen is 1.57 sotn screens, bringing bloodstained to 2465 sotn-equivalent screens :P

If you don't remove the recycled content of Bloodstained, then bloodstained has 46% more realestate.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played to the second area, but so far it's... not great, not unplayable.

Graphics are noticably sub-720p so everything looks a bit soft. Interface aside (which is rendered at native res) it reminds me of a 3DS game maybe but I'm not sure how accurate that comparison is. I have trouble spotting some environment details to interact with like weak walls, chests etc but replies here suggests this might be a general issue due to lack of contrast.

There's definitely input lag. So far frame rate has been solid in combat, some big dips in cutscenes (whatever), during dialogue and a strange one where it dips after talking to an NPC, persisting until I leave the room.

It's not straight up terrible but I constantly wish the graphics had a little bit of clarity and less input lag. I'm honestly a bit disappointed they couldn't manage 720p60 for a sidescroller. Maybe they should have gone faux-16/32-bit graphics, even if it meant prerendered 3D sprites?

I'll probably just take the hit and buy it again for PC and be glad the game exists.

Thanks for the impressions. Framerate issues and blurriness don't really bother me but input lag can, does that get very bad or is it fairly manageable?