• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all of this praise, I am still waiting for Bloodborne to "click" with me. I have played a bit and there is nothing really wrong with the game, but i haven't fallen in love with it as seemingly everyone else has. Don't know why yet.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Other than some performance issues (praying for a 4K/60 PS5 release or give us the game on PC, please), this game is pretty much perfect.

It took my best friend convincing me over and over again to finally try it. And I won't like, I was pretty iffy on the first couple hours - and Father G was truly about the spot where I was gonna shelve it for good. To this day, I'm really not sure why I perservered... was I bored? Prideful? Apathetic? Didn't have another game to play? I'm not sure. But I pushed through against my own personality with playing games... and the rest was history.

The game is sublime. It's the best game of the generation, full-stop. And that's saying something when games like Breath of the Wild came out this gen, too. It's in my Top Five of all time, alongside titles like Majora's Mask, KOTOR, Halo 2 as some of the greatest games I've ever played.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Stellar game. I have a big aversion to horror and while I'm a history buff, the Victorian Era and its aesthetics never did but for me. I'm more of an classical antiquity/early middle ages kinda guy, hence my general preference for Dark Souls. And yet I absolutely grew to love this game, even if it took a while for me to gather the courage to play through it.

My only critcism would be the lack of early game weapon variety, which rears its ugly head especially on repeated playthroughs. The DLC did introduce a ton of interesting weapons, and most of them are fairly easy to get even when you're undergeared for the actual DLC, but it all could have been handled more deftly.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope this is one of the games that gets a PS5 patch. Though since we never got a Pro patch (right? maybe I'm remembering wrong) I'm not holding my breath.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
All the praise in this thread is well deserved. It's the very first souls game I've ever played and it was amazing. From the art style to the soundtracks to the character design and everything; Just amazing!

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I was in a similar spot when I first played. I think I was a junior in College, had a moment of just not enjoying anything in my life really. I was doing okay in my classes but I just felt empty and apathetic towards what came next after graduating. I had played Demons Souls before, skipped Dark Souls, and preordered Bloodborne, but I wasn't all that excited. Launch night, I played the intro and Cleric Beast got me a few times. I turned off the PS4 and went into bed as I had class the next morning. I literally laid in my bed in the dark, unsatisfied for not having beat the first boss. I stayed up a whole hour later just to beat him. The following week was my spring break and I just gave my entire life to the game. Never have I experienced such a masterful game that consumed me since MK9 and Super Mario 64. Moments like that come around every couple of years and I truly love this game. Definitely my favorite game of all time.
That's awesome to hear, love hearing similar stories. The part about this game consuming you, it's so true! I've just never played a game like this before and as I said it was my first From/souls type game. Truly a magical experience the first time through and got me back into games again.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's funny. I was totally on the fence about getting this game when it came out. The videos I saw made it look very dry. The movement looked pretty stiff. There was no immediately identifiable plot. Honestly, I can't tell you why I bought Bloodborne (especially at launch, a thing I almost never do). I knew it was going to be a very Soulsy game, and I didn't have a high opinion of Souls game. I felt compelled despite not finding the stuff I'd seen all that compelling.

Turned out it's maybe the best game ever.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I copped it day 1 and still have never finished. I got pretty far in one play through and then stopped. Any other time I've gone back to start again I never get far. Maybe while trapped in my house I will give it another go. I did think about it yesterday as I was looking for something play. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I just started the game yesterday! I've absolutely loved it so far. Have I spent almost 5 hours in Central Yharnam and still haven't met the boss yet? Sure! But was even unlocking the shortcut through the house one of the most triumphant moments in my gaming history? Absolutely.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe it's been five years already. Loved the game and completing it felt so good.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Was never that interested in Dark Souls but when they announced Bloodborne just the way the game looked meant I had to play it.
I've played Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls III since.
First time through was like nothing I've ever experienced in a game.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Enjoyed the game, had some amazing moments with it. Wish I loved it enough to play through it numerous times and mess with the chalice dungeons though.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I bought PS4 mainly for Bloodborne. Amazing game,with 2 negatives being the innovative,but not perfect chalice dungeons and the shallow pvp and covenant implementation

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm so glad Bloodborne clicked with me last year. First game i platinumed ever. I find myself going back to it again and again. One of a kind.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
One of the greatest games of all time! I kid you not when I tell you that 5 of my friends bought a PS4 for this game alone (from doctors to attorneys) and we are chatting on a daily basis about a possible sequel!

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Some good art from twitter in celebration:

ET5rYO4UMAA-lsn

ET5raYMVAAEFhOk

ET5sMv8UcAAdHFZ

ET5rxq8U4AAXi8Q

The art gives me strong feelings about a Castlevania-like Netflix adaptation.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Game of the fuckin gen for me, and I'm primarily an Xbox gamer. Everything about this hit just right. I love Victorian and Lovecraftian horror settings. I loved Nightmare Creatures as a kid. It was like Bloodborne was engineered in a lab to be perfect for me.

Oddly enough, however, I never replayed it, while I replayed DS and DS3 several times. 🤷‍♂️

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest games of all time. The themes, aesthetic, music, narrative and gameplay all fit together so perfectly it's almost unbelievable.

Crazy to think I havent been that excited about a game and it live up to and surpass my expectations in 5 years.

Some good art from twitter in celebration:

ET5rYO4UMAA-lsn

ET5raYMVAAEFhOk

ET5sMv8UcAAdHFZ

ET5rxq8U4AAXi8Q

The art gives me strong feelings about a Castlevania-like Netflix adaptation.

That art is amazing and definitely looks like the Castlevania Netflix series.

God I would die if the same people adapted Bloodborne. They would do it such justice.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
The saving grace of this generation's console gaming for me. We will probably never ever get something like this, from the rumors, leaks, the prerelease hype and the game itself with the critical reception and fan created content that came after it.

Best DLC this gen too.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I've only just gotten around to playing it last month and although I put it down for a bit, I picked it back up and have been loving everything about it.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the best games I've ever played and one of the few games that has a quality of level design on par with Nintendo's best efforts

if the PS5 somehow improves the performance well that'd just be lovely now wouldn't it

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i tried so so many times to beat it...fps being so fucking bad just beats me everytime...i get dizzy its so bad. great game, best souls game by far, after dark souls 2 of course.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly hate it.
Ruined whole generation after it.
Havent played anything better 5 years later and i played everything worth it.
Witcher,ds3 and gow came close but nah. This generation RE4.
So this gen ended for me in 2015 sadly.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
As someone finally getting to the Dark Souls 2 dlc right now because I finished the main game and bounced, looking at the jump from DS2 to Bloodborne 1 year later is mind boggling.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly hate it.
Ruined whole generation after it.
Havent played anything better 5 years later and i played everything worth it.
Witcher,ds3 and gow came close but nah. This generation RE4.
So this gen ended for me in 2015 sadly.

That's a grim outlook. I mean, even going by your post you still enjoyed other games, no?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Best game of the gen and second best game of all time. Might take my #1 spot if I can play it at 4k60 with good frame pacing and no CA. Hopefully the PS5 can deliver. If not I guess I'll have to wait for the eventual PC release.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The definition of perfection. The music. The lore. The setting. The gameplay. The everything.

Also the best DLC of all time.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Man, maybe it's because I've only just started playing it but it seems like any other souls game to me. Pretty jealous that everyone here LOVES it.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I really hope we don't get a sequel. I think FROM is at there best making new worlds. So Sony could fund a new Souls game by FROM but gimmie a new world.