• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 24, 2019
The movie's out in a bunch of countries now, where the spoiler thread at? Going to see it in a few hours.

Stay spoiler free till then. The plot's decently fun and twisty. Enjoy!

edit: For all the Tasky fans, I liked Tasky.
I suppose if you want him as comic accurate as possible, you might be disappointed, but where it went worked for me.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm gonna play a drinking game. Take a sip everytime she does that head-tilt tic that she does.

Like, I don't know where exactly it comes from, but I always fucking notice it lol. It's like whenever ScarJo has to read a line in these movies (or even just during a single shot where she doesn't speak) that she feels is missing something, she does this head tilt. Almost like a filler word like 'um' in a sentence.

tenor.gif

tumblr_inline_pckwtmkp451u3l7w4_500.gifv

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Advance ticket sales on Fandango outdid Spider-Man Homecoming.

deadline.com

‘Black Widow’ Advance Ticket Sales Are Fandango’s Best Of The Year To Date

As we told you over the weekend, Disney/Marvel’s Black Widow presales were set to outstrip that of Universal’s F9 at the same point in time before its opening weekend, and this morning Fandango has reported that the Cate Shortland-directed movie is their best pre-seller so far in 2021. Black...

$100 million OW, LFG!!!

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
For the sake of fairness could we please add the metacritic score to the thread title. Thanks!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I never realized that her comic book powerset is way more "Captain America" level due to a super soldier serum she was given and less "regular olympic athlete" level. I don't think keeping her powerset grounded as a regular person helped with how they've treated the character in the movies. She always felt like an odd "also ran" in the Avengers.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After the subpar tv shows (except maybe FATWS) I was pretty down on the MCU, but it just seems like they're just not really good at making tv shows.

This was a clear improvement and I'm now excited to see what's next.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I liked it a lot, the fact that it didn't need to expand the lore and connect other movies made it more enjoyable.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
After the subpar tv shows (except maybe FATWS) I was pretty down on the MCU, but it just seems like they're just not really good at making tv shows.

This was a clear improvement and I'm now excited to see what's next.

For me, FATWS was the only subpar show. The others were/are excellent, with Loki easily my favorite. Still excited about Black Widow but not expecting anything wondrous.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
When I tell you I'm finna be in the theater with everything copped; popcorn, big ass drink, some candy, a pretzel, a pickle, hell I might cop a few lil wine piccolo bottles to sneak in, the MCU is fully back now 😭

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still bummed hearing that Taskmaster and the 3rd act is really lackluster...

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Maybe not fairness, but I do think putting both in the title would be a better direct reflection of the reviews.

RottenTomatoes score is a terrible way to gauge quality of a film. All it says is "this percentage of reviews gave it a 6 or higher".
Most people only work in binary though. It's either good or bad. That's why YouTube and Netflix switched from a star rating system to a thumbs up or down system.

It's the same with reviews. A lot of people only want to know if it's good (6+ stars) or bad (5 or below). Its simpler and a majority of people don't care about the nuance.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I might be missing something, but I'm trying to understand why it's ok to cast David Harbour as THE Russian Marvel character (I've even seen it strongly encouraged), along with with Florence Pugh as another Russian character in this day and age. And really on top of that, Scarlett Johansson herself, although with her I can at least understand she's established and obviously not going anywhere.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I might be missing something, but I'm trying to understand why it's ok to cast David Harbour as THE Russian Marvel character (I've even seen it strongly encouraged), along with with Florence Pugh as another Russian character in this day and age. And really on top of that, Scarlett Johansson herself, although with her I can at least understand she's established and obviously not going anywhere.
Why is it OK that a British man is playing Dr. Strange?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Saw it. It wasn't good. The third act put me to sleep. Taskmaster is beyond disappointing. It's not even a shadow of TWS. The other villain is atrocious. The stakes and story were all over the place. The action was uninspired. Widow's character work… passable for someone dead. Pugh and Harbour do a great job with average material, they deserve better, Pugh needs to be around calling out Avengers on their dumb shit. We need a Red Guardian vs Cap flashback.

like I guess calling it a 6.5/10 movie is fair so it's "fresh" but damn. Not terrible but if the Cap movies are Oceans 11-13, this is Ocean's 8

Are you actually trying to go down a Russianface route

really

like this is a troll or I'm drastically misreading this post

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not fairness, but I do think putting both in the title would be a better direct reflection of the reviews.

RottenTomatoes score is a terrible way to gauge quality of a film. All it says is "this percentage of reviews gave it a 6 or higher".
Check the average score if you want a more nuanced take. Metacritic's non transparent weighted reviews ain't exactly fair either.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Advance ticket sales on Fandango outdid Spider-Man Homecoming.

deadline.com

‘Black Widow’ Advance Ticket Sales Are Fandango’s Best Of The Year To Date

As we told you over the weekend, Disney/Marvel’s Black Widow presales were set to outstrip that of Universal’s F9 at the same point in time before its opening weekend, and this morning Fandango has reported that the Cate Shortland-directed movie is their best pre-seller so far in 2021. Black...

$100 million OW, LFG!!!

Kevin Feige out here with the fucking Midas touch.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The point of RottenTomatoes isn't to give an exact factual definition of the quality of a film. It's to give moviegoers a general idea of the quality of a film. If it's fresh, it's probably worth checking out. If it's 80 or above, it's definitely worth checking out.

Doesn't mean you'll like it yourself, of course, the site is very good for what it is meant for.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't know what the hell you mean by Russianface, although I think I can get the picture. But I can assure you, I'm not a troll.
Okay well assuming you're not a troll, here's what you're missing: it's totally fine for white people to play other white ethnicities.

Also Russian identity really isn't all that important to this film, as weird as that sounds for a movie where almost everyone has a Russian accent. Nobody is really defined by their Russian-ness or is acting for Russia. The Widows are from all over the world. The villain is out for themselves. Red Guardian isn't really for anyone at this point, he doesn't love Mother Russia, he loves who he used to be.

The only offensive Russian thing is how generic and bland Ray Winstone is, joining Kenneth Branagh in Tenet as an extremely cringy villain with a terrible accent.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility; Prior Ban for the Same
Okay well assuming you're not a troll, here's what you're missing: it's totally fine for white people to play other white ethnicities.

Also Russian identity really isn't all that important to this film, as weird as that sounds for a movie where almost everyone has a Russian accent. Nobody is really defined by their Russian-ness or is acting for Russia. The Widows are from all over the world. The villain is out for themselves. Red Guardian isn't really for anyone at this point, he doesn't love Mother Russia, he loves who he used to be.

The only offensive Russian thing is how generic and bland Ray Winstone is, joining Kenneth Branagh in Tenet as an extremely cringy villain with a terrible accent.

Don't fucking assume that I'm a fucking asshole just because I'm white (which you didn't even know before this post) you piece of fucking trash. You should be banned for that shit.

I also love that everything you said doesn't even sound like you know shit but just acts like you know shit based on current inadequacies. Are you Russian? It sounds like you're not at all, but I'll certainly stand to be corrected if you are. Just sounds like you're another mad white kid thinking you're making a difference. If you can assume I'm white, I can sure as hell do the same back you pale brother.

Whether you want to believe it or not, white people can absolutely campaign for this change in voice actors, and actors as well. And as much as I might fucking hate to admit , those voices are still potentially the most powerful. Double standards can suck my fucking dick.

I read comics when I was a kid. A lot. And I don't like the idea of Alexi being cast as an American, especially when we're at a point where that shit is finally starting to be conquered at least a little. That's from me, a 31 year old American white dude. How do you think some Russian kids may feel that grew up seeing this American person featured in a film as their hero?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Don't fucking assume that I'm a fucking asshole just because I'm white (which you didn't even know before this post) you piece of fucking trash. You should be banned for that shit.

I also love that everything you said doesn't even sound like you know shit but just acts like you know shit based on current inadequacies. Are you Russian? It sounds like you're not at all, but I'll certainly stand to be corrected if you are. Just sounds like you're another mad white kid thinking you're making a difference. If you can assume I'm white, I can sure as hell do the same back you pale brother.

Whether you want to believe it or not, white people can absolutely campaign for this change in voice actors, and actors as well. And as much as I might fucking hate to admit , those voices are still potentially the most powerful. Double standards can suck my fucking dick.

I read comics when I was a kid. A lot. And I don't like the idea of Alexi being cast as an American, especially when we're at a point where that shit is finally starting to be conquered at least a little. That's from me, a 31 year old American white dude. How do you think some Russian kids may feel that grew up seeing this person featured in a film as their hero?
lmao okay cool so you are trolling

ps. if you want to keep someone invested in your troll baiting you gotta go a little bit more subtle

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lmao okay cool so you are trolling

ps. if you want to keep someone invested in your troll baiting you gotta go a little bit more subtle

Nah I'm not a troll once again, but it's very clear that you don't have a real response. A troll's too good of a term for you. You're just...lazy.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Going to see this at the weekend. I've covered most of the marvel films / tv shows over the years.

Is there any that are must-see's to check out before this?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow |OT| Don't fucking assume that I'm a fucking asshole just because I'm white (which you didn't even know before this post) you piece of fucking TRASH

Hmmm first few reactions here are underwhelming.

Is the action any good at least? How close do the fight get to TWS/Civil War?

And is the humor still a problem?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Black Widow |OT| Don't fucking assume that I'm a fucking asshole just because I'm white (which you didn't even know before this post) you piece of fucking TRASH

Action is pretty mediocre. There are some good beats but overall it feels very generic and like the pre-vis team just did it all. There's no personality or unique sense of style to the action. Also some really crappy CGI near the end. The close-quarters hand to hand stuff is cool but fleeting.

There are tonal issues. The humour is more subdued than in a lot of MCU movies but the quips felt pretty low-effort and not-very-funny. Like I blew air out my nose once every 10-15 minutes but I didn't actually laugh once.

Whole script felt like an early draft that needed a few more passes before getting the greenlight.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Check the average score if you want a more nuanced take. Metacritic's non transparent weighted reviews ain't exactly fair either.
Hey, I wasn't the one using the word "fair", just that including a Metacritic (or perhaps even the average score on RottenTomatoes) gives a much better view of what the reception is than only the RT score which only tells you that 85% of the critics thought it was somewhere between "not bad, fairly enjoyable and masterpiece".

In general I think all review aggregators are kinda trash, since almost every reviewer uses completely different a different scale and can't really be easily translated to a x/10 score.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Action is pretty mediocre. There are some good beats but overall it feels very generic and like the pre-vis team just did it all. There's no personality or unique sense of style to the action. Also some really crappy CGI near the end. The close-quarters hand to hand stuff is cool but fleeting.

There are tonal issues. The humour is more subdued than in a lot of MCU movies but the quips felt pretty low-effort and not-very-funny. Like I blew air out my nose once every 10-15 minutes but I didn't actually laugh once.

Whole script felt like an early draft that needed a few more passes before getting the greenlight.

Bummer

I believe it was Lucrecia Martel that slipped the beans about this being being a film "Written and Directed by Marvel Studios", and the director is only there to keep the actors in line
www.google.com

Lucrecia Martel Turned Down ‘Black Widow’ After Marvel Told Her ‘Don’t Worry About’ Action Scenes

"Companies are interested in female filmmakers but they still think action scenes are for male directors," said the "Zama" director.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I enjoyed this movie more than expected. I might try and write up a bit more later but on the whole I was surprised how much I enjoyed (despite it having many flaws).

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

I liked it a fair bit, it felt like a Metal Gear movie almost, there's some tongue in cheek cheese going on which I was into. It's not anything incredible, but it's solid - the only bit that I was eh on was the skydiving stuff that you see a hint at in the trailer.

Solid 7.5 from where I was sitting.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

The fights were discount TWS/CW. A lot more jumpy editing, felt like less practical combat and there were some interesting ideas for set pieces but mostly poor execution. Nothing stood out as particularly impressive/memorable. Taskmaster has a bunch of references to previous Marvel movies but they all just seem like weak knockoffs.

The humor is lowkey in this one, which I'm fine with. It's mostly from Pugh and Harbour. And honestly it would've been weird if the movie was a quipfest, it's not the style or subject for non stop jokes. There's a dark period joke I'm impressed Marvel let fly.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer

I believe it was Lucrecia Martel that slipped the beans about this being being a film "Written and Directed by Marvel Studios", and the director is only there to keep the actors in line
www.google.com

Lucrecia Martel Turned Down ‘Black Widow’ After Marvel Told Her ‘Don’t Worry About’ Action Scenes

"Companies are interested in female filmmakers but they still think action scenes are for male directors," said the "Zama" director.

wow its so patronizing to bring on a great director and tell them not to worry about the action scenes. did they even see Zama???