• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
A goat tier console feature was how the Xbox would let you set your camera to inverted automatically. But they abandoned that for some reason.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to turn the little PS symbol on the slim ps2 so you can orient it accordingly with your ps2 whether it's vertical or horizontal

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
The DS4 touchpad isn't even the worst Sony touchpad. I don't know what they were thinking with the rear Vita touchpad, it was clear from the system's reveal it would only be used for incredibly gimmicky uses, like Tearaway (the only decent use of it), and would be nigh unusable for normal gameplay.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The original Playstation models had a parallel port built in but there was never an official addon or product released for that port.
The first model also had an absolutely oversized but amazing audio interface included and is still getting used as high-end CD player by modern audiophiles.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The DS4 touchpad isn't even the worst Sony touchpad. I don't know what they were thinking with the rear Vita touchpad, it was clear from the system's reveal it would only be used for incredibly gimmicky uses, like Tearaway (the only decent use of it), and would be nigh unusable for normal gameplay.
I dread any time I have to use it because it's so unresponsive on mine (maybe just a problem with my Vita?), and I'm mostly only using it to emulate shoulder button presses in remote play of RPGs where there's no time pressure.

Weird under-utilized feature that I just remembered! The Famicom in Japan: second controller had a microphone built in; it was how you defeated Pol's Voice enemies in Zelda. I don't think the Famicom had anywhere near the processing oomph to analyze sound input beyond "yup, sound is happening" and looking at the games that used this function that seems to be the case.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
Being able to turn the little PS symbol on the slim ps2 so you can orient it accordingly with your ps2 whether it's vertical or horizontal

Same thing with the first model of PS3.

Earlier models of the Gamecube allowed you to pop off the jewel (the name of the plate with the logo where the disc tray opens) and swap them with different ones. I don't think anyone ever thought to do this or make replacements until long after the fact.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A goat tier console feature was how the Xbox would let you set your camera to inverted automatically. But they abandoned that for some reason.
This was the best thing. Not having to set it in every game was so nice. It's so sad that the next generation didn't adopt this. If they could do stuff like subtitles and other settings as well that'd be so nice.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
Sort of?
There was a game released called the namco cillection, and it included a game called Pac Man Vs. Originally on the gamecube.
On the gamecube, 1 player would have a gba hooked up to the gamecube and would dodge the ghosts who had limited vision of the map while pacman could see the entire thing.
On switch, there was a seperate app you can download for free that lets you play as Pac-Man and search for slmeome with the full game locally to play as the ghosts.

That's awesome. I loved Pac-Man Vs., and I actually had 3 siblings with GBA's. I got this game for them and link cables for us to play. I'm glad there's options in 2020 to do something like this now.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone remember the Neo Geo Pocket link cable for the Dreamcast/?I think it only worked for like 5 or 6 games. And it didn't really do much besides unlocking art. I still have one somewhere in my closest

12196025_1675642172693524_898414205170552491_n.jpg

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think about growing up and having the Sega Channel, basically a subscription service where you can play a rotating assortment of Sega Genesis games via coax cable. It's just incredible to think that Sega was 15-20 years early when it comes to a Gamepass sort of service.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wii Remotes contain internal memory to which you could save Mii data, and Smash used it to store controller configs, but that's pretty much all it was ever used for and I daresay 99.9% of players didn't know it was even a feature. The amount of memory was absurdly small, like 4kb or something, so maybe if it'd been bigger it would have seen more implementation.

The concept of amiibo was massively squandered, but the people buying them don't care that they don't do anything so why should anyone else?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Wii could send demos of games to the DS, but they only put out a few and they were for mostly mediocre games. Then they just quietly stopped doing them and never bothered to do more.

Wii U to 3DS functionality was also never really used by anything

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
That Wii U TV remote feature that they never bothered to support in Europe.

My friend lost his remote and uhh its been 2 years and to this day uses his wii u gamepad as the tv remote to switch to other systems or to tv. Even uses it for volume etc.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii could send demos of games to the DS, but they only put out a few and they were for mostly mediocre games. Then they just quietly stopped doing them and never bothered to do more.

Yeah, I always wondered why they didn't make those available directly via DS, even if only on DSi via DSiWare or something. I recall them doing them for a while, I think Sonic Colors was the last one I tried.

On a similar note, there was at least one Wii game (MaBoShi for WiiWare) that let you download a version to your DS via download play.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 supported local play with 7 controllers
The Saturn allowed 12 players! Though I'm only aware of Bomberman supporting 10 at most.
Yall probably don't even remember how the Wii U Gamepad had a camera AND a full-blown Wii Sensor Bar on it

because that shit was never used for anything good

...like, imagine being 2012-era Nintendo

everyone asking you why you suck at online, and you're always like, 'we prefer to help people have fun together in the same room, but we'll, like, totally persue online if we can make it feel more like that'
and then you come out with a console that includes a fuckin Skype tablet in every box
and you choose to just completely ignore the most obvious use-case in the world

think about it. playing Mario Kart or Mario Party or Smash Bros with your buddies, and simultaneously interacting with them by way of video feed through the Gamepad... it would have been a unique draw, something more personal and more like the local play experience than online multiplayer usually is... if only Nintendo had bothered
You forgot to mention it had a mic! Bizarrely they did allow some voice chat in games, but it was extremely limited to things like the lobby in Mario Kart.

I did video chat some friends on the Wii U. Worked well enough and it was fun to draw on their faces...though they usually got annoyed.

I actually like the Wii sensor bar. Would set up the gamepad next to my desk and use it as a mini Wii. It also meant you could play 2 player Pikmin 3 and both people could use the superior Wii remote controls.
The Gravity Rush games used the PS4 gyro well, with customisable sensitivity options.

Anybody remember the weird way you could easily detach the Sega Saturn 3D pad from its cord? What was that all about? It was so strange, like they were planning updates or extra attachments or something.

Edit: on a similar note, anybody also remember the "breakaway" cables for the OG Xbox controllers? It was kinda neat
Supposedly they had lots of expansions planned for the 3D controller, but....yeah.
Anyone remember the Neo Geo Pocket link cable for the Dreamcast/?I think it only worked for like 5 or 6 games. And it didn't really do much besides unlocking art. I still have one somewhere in my closest

12196025_1675642172693524_898414205170552491_n.jpg
Yes! I had this thing. Might be buried somewhere in my boxes of cables...

I'll add that the Wii also let you view photos on your SD card. And the Wii U browser had an API for its gyroscope and accelerometers, so people could program a site to use the the Gamepad to the fullest. Honestly that browser was fucking crazy.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I feel like half the features of newer Nintendo consoles would be completely unused without Pokémon and Smash Bros

Those two seem to push themselves to use every possible console gimmick they can get

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Why the hell is there a camera on the vita, I just brought it out thinking about a persona 4 play through and was like damn what a waste.

Same with 3ds and dsi honestly

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever used the volume controls on the OG Genesis.

The VMU was not really utilized by anyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The Gravity Rush games used the PS4 gyro well, with customisable sensitivity options.
Yo, the first person mode with gyro aiming is good and made me sad it didn't ever get VR support / side game.

My "patch" for this in R2 was to play in cinematic mode using the PSVR, and tilting my head with the controller sitting atop it.

Sure, I looked like a buffoon... but it was amazing to jump off a giant structure and fall through the clouds, past the main city, all the way to the slums.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
The 3ds photo feature. I am in the minority of peoplewho used it because I hadn't a mobile phone for years). Poor resolution but easy to use.Just a bit too noisy.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of the Switch touch screen, I was playing Assassin's Creed Rouge and was surprised when I accidentally touched the map screen and it did something!

It works for scrolling and zooming.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The vita had an extra proprietary port that afaik was never used. Was it supposed to be for TV out or something?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
What game besides 1,2 switch uses the ir sensor? Why is it placed on the bottom of the joycon? You can't even point with it :(

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Wii channels probably count. Photo Channel was probably used a fair amount by people, but you also had the Weather & News Channels which...sure did exist. I did try to use the Weather channel a couple of times but it was always out of date and the News Channel I dont think anyone has ever used for any reason.

Also the ability to, I don't know, have separate channels interact with a game? I guess that's what you'd call things like the Mario kart channel. You installed it off the disc, I think, and after that you could interact with the game through that for all sorts of online features like the tournaments, ghost trading or even jump straight into a race. I assume the reason no other games really had this was because they just had all that functionality into the game proper (MK7 notably put it all in a separate mode still called "Mario Kart Channel" but it wasn't a separate app) but the idea of a separate app or channel or whatever able to interact with games on teh wii seems really novel to me.
The only other instance I can think of is the Skyward Sword Patch channel (side note: pretty sure this is the ONLY instance of patching in the entire system's history?), which is kind of different.

The 3DS had a system whereby you collected coins the more you walked with the console on your person. It was a cool idea that was touted as a health drive but it also cleverly encouraged people to keep their 3DS on them at all times. This in turn paid off with StreetPass, when nearby consoles would recognise each other and days would be exchanged.

But going back to coins, they were terribly underused. I can't even remember games that used them. I was hoping you'd be able to purchase alternative character outfits and items, exchange for in have currency or maybe use as a discount in the eShop. I think maybe the built in Mii games used them and that was about it. An absolute waste really.
It was never widely used but Kid Icarus Uprising used play coins for the figurines, Smash Bros let you use them in place of gold for the trophy shop, I think Bravely Default could use them for that weird village builder mode. I think a number of earlier 3DS titles in particular used it, in general, for litle odds & ends but they never saw wide use and less and less games used them as time went on..

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Weirdly enough, if you place a Xbox 360 upside down the lights around the power button will change orientation.

The 3DS had a system whereby you collected coins the more you walked with the console on your person. It was a cool idea that was touted as a health drive but it also cleverly encouraged people to keep their 3DS on them at all times. This in turn paid off with StreetPass, when nearby consoles would recognise each other and days would be exchanged.

But going back to coins, they were terribly underused. I can't even remember games that used them. I was hoping you'd be able to purchase alternative character outfits and items, exchange for in have currency or maybe use as a discount in the eShop. I think maybe the built in Mii games used them and that was about it. An absolute waste really.
I think Animal Crossing used them to buy special items. The Sims 3 Pets & the Resident Evil games also used them but I forgot what for though.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The headset port/online voicechat on the DS/3DS. Did anyone actually use this feature? I feel like the only time I ever did was when I had a Pokemon battle with a friend I met online, once.

VGJXswk5Vs4xmTTsZ9fSyZbX7P3vKIFffTBao7Anrdk.jpg

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Wii U to 3DS functionality was also never really used by anything
Also this was tucked away into the "Nintendo Channel" so it was eays to forget if you weren't interested in the other nintendo news on the channel.

Interestingly it could also distribute event data to certain games and by that I think it was just special event battle cards for Mega Man Star Force...3? Maybe 2. There's a laundry list of POkemon titles and spin offs this would have been a godsend for but...no. Just star force.

Oct 27, 2017
the switch's touchscreen. criminally underutilized, even by Nintendo

This is so baffling to me. And coding the UI to reach to touch is, while not trivial, certainly one of the absolute easiest things to implement in the game. Navigating the interface in games like Splatoon and Smash, where 90% of the interface use huge, touch friendly buttons, practically feels unfinshed in portable mode, just because it looks so designed for touch.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Asynchronous gameplay on the Wii U. It made local multiplayer games so much fun, but I can't think of any games outside of Mario Party 10, Nintendo Land, or Game & Wario that embraced it.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
This is so baffling to me. And coding the UI to reach to touch is, while not trivial, certainly one of the absolute easiest things to implement in the game. Navigating the interface in games like Splatoon and Smash, where 90% of the interface use huge, touch friendly buttons, practically feels unfinshed in portable mode, just because it looks so designed for touch.
It was twice as bizarre on Wii U. Like Smash U in particular has very large UI buttons but there is one (1) instance of touch screen compatability and it's....the title screen. and ONLY the title screen. Not a single menu item or anything.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
it's not haptic. Nintendo went through every feedback function prior to the the release and haptic was never brought up, and teardowns show it's a regular screen. Nintendo is probably just licensing the non-haptic touchscreen functions. they might have a license to haptic stuff but never bothered to use it
Wow..so you mean that after the console went into production the firm who sold Nintendo the license to the tech sent out the press release indicating that its tech was in the product when it actually wasn't? The forward looking health warnings on the press release take on a new meaning but it is still really misleading and their shareholders should have sued...

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Wii remote (and DS and 3DS) not using their built in microphones for communication (maybe metroid prime hunters used it for online play?). Very weird animal Crossing had the TV mic when the Wii remote had a mic built in that was never used for anything.
The Wii Remote does not have a microphone, but it does have a very low quality speaker.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Remember when the 360, for a brief minute, had the ablity to use Twitter or Facebook on it?

Seems kinda quaint now when you consider the share button on the controllers.

Could also party watch on Netflix on the 360.

There's more: you could buy new memory card with games in it. I remember a bundle with Worms HD on a memory card.
Backtracking from a guaranteed hard drive with the Xbox to shipping the 360 Arcade versions was such a shortsighted move on Microsoft's part, and as you say the memory card slots really didn't come in handy for anything else—delivering games via them was a terrible idea.

Semi-unknown (at least not commonly known) fact. The Xbox 360 memory card games were not copy protected. They were instead licensed to the media type. You could freely copy them to another memory card with third party tools.

Speaking of weird Xbox 360 stuff, I totally forgot about the damn faceplates until just now. That, the new 3DS, and the Gameboy Micro are the only consoles I know of that do that stuff.

PS4 did the faceplate thing as well.

The Switch IR sensor has at least got some use! It powered a lot of the Labo stuff and is used to estimate heartrate in Ring Fit Adventures.

For under-utilized features, maybe I'd go with Wii Connect 24? It was a cool idea (stuff can happen while your console is off) but I honestly never saw a game use it in an interesting way.

Or we could point to the expansion ports on the SNES and the N64. They both did get used... but only in Japan. There was the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom that allowed downloading games and streaming audio broadcasts, and the infamous 64DD for the N64 that allowed the use of magneto-optical discs for a tiny handful of games that wound up supporting it.

The GameCube had an expansion port too, which got used for the Game Boy Player accessory... I feel like that one could at least be considered a little more successful since it launched in regions other than Japan.

OG Genesis had an expansion port as well. Got dropped tho.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
The Sony PlayStation/Vita TV in general.

It just always felt like it was thrust out into the wild to die. It almost becoming a running joke amongst various outlets, that retailers couldn't givethem away.

Now, ironically, I'm interested in having one, and they're no longer affordable...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
On the Xbox 360, you could use a Comcast On Demand app to stream movies and video that you would normally be able to watch using your cable box.

At some point, Comcast decided they did not want people watching their OnDemand media on TVs without using a cable box, so the app got yanked of the Xbox app store.

The more bizarre thing is that eventually they became so adamantly opposed to the Comcast Xbox app that Microsoft went in and intentionally, manually deleted it off of users' 360 systems. That's a power I didn't even know they had, let alone one they would utilize over something so trivial (an app whose functionality had likely already been crippled).
The same thing happened with the Watch Disney XD app on 360. Got forcibly uninstalled from consoles. Blew me away when I noticed it had happened. Officially they had stopped supporting it like 6 months earlier, but it still worked. Luckily the season of Star Wars Rebels has already ended, since that's all I used it for, lol

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Not so much of a bizarre feature but more of a bizarre omission of one. Launch xbox 360s didn't support HDMI at all, I think if you wanted HD you needed to use component.

People have already mentioned the gamecube digital out port being used by the component cables but that only applies in america/japan. No pal games support the use of those cables making the port entirely unused in those territories despite pal gamecubes still having the port.