• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Man you know the movie isn't great, it has its moments but, not great. Not sure if a title change will fix it.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
What other movies have changed names mid release? Was Edge of tomorrow called live,die,repeat? šŸ˜‚

I remember they retroactively renamed Pitch Black to The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black after the Chronicles of Riddick came out.

Star Wars: A New Hope was originally just Star Wars.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
WB's: DC's: Suicide Squad 2: Birds of Prey: The Harley Quinn Story, Special Edition: Director's Cut: 4K DVD & Blu-Ray Combo Pack w/ Digital Code

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I remember they retroactively renamed Pitch Black to The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black after the Chronicles of Riddick came out.

Star Wars: A New Hope was originally just Star Wars.

And Raiders of the Lost Ark is now Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Initial Responses from the Trailer when it was first revealed was Too much Harley. Why is this called Birds of Prey? So somehow doubling down on harley does not seem to be the solution

Well the film is like a 90% Harley-show. Rest of the birds are basically extras with nothing to do really.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If you're going to do an R-Rated movie of Harley Quinn, you need to include the Joker.

The reason people saw Suicide Squad is they knew there would be Joker. Even a bad Joker is still a big draw. Harley Quinn was an additional draw, as an extension of the Joker.

I don't think the title sunk this movie. I think they mismanaged their own IP pretty clumsily. Why use the "Birds of Prey" name if you're not actually doing what people like about BOP?

Harley Quinn should be PG-13... she can be wacky and chaotic without the R violence and vulgarity.

Batman would make more sense to be R, honestly... Harley Quinn should be more accessible to kids. Harley is a character for 12 year old girls but the film is aimed at adults.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This is a hilarious way to hold an L publicly, especially since I doubt this will do much good for the legs of the film.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Huh. I mean, I know I'm a bit out of the loop here, but I had no idea that Birds of Prey was the Harley Quinn movie I saw a trailer for. I just assumed "Harley Quinn" would be somewhere in the title from the get go. So yeah, bad initial title.

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to do an R-Rated movie of Harley Quinn, you need to include the Joker.

The reason people saw Suicide Squad is they knew there would be Joker. Even a bad Joker is still a big draw. Harley Quinn was an additional draw, as an extension of the Joker.

I don't think the title sunk this movie. I think they mismanaged their own IP pretty clumsily. Why use the "Birds of Prey" name if you're not actually doing what people like about BOP?

Harley Quinn should be PG-13... she can be wacky and chaotic without the R violence and vulgarity.

Batman would make more sense to be R, honestly... Harley Quinn should be more accessible to kids. Harley is a character for 12 year old girls but the film is aimed at adults.

Yup again it's DC not freaking trusting their characters.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have done that from the beginning. Hopefully now they understand that names are really important in catching the viewer's eyes.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing people forget is that birds if Prey is typically associated with Babs orBatgirl. Having neither Babs or Batgirl in there -and Cassandra, while yes is typically aBatgirl, in here she is not,.

So no bat to grab on, and most want Harley with Pam. So no poison ivy and no Batgirl leads to non comic fans going, confused.
I don't think enough people actually read american comics for this to actually matter lol

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
That's art I'd expect to see on the back of my Froot Loops.
source.gif

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Personally I like that Frozen is Anna and the Snow Queen.

I hate how Disney names Tangled and Frozen. Every other princess film is simply the name of the princess. Mulan, Snow White, Cinderella etc. Even non princess films mostly would follow that style like Tarzan and Hercules.

It makes sense to appeal it to a broader range of people but it still is my pet peeve.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should've taken my suggestion and re-released a PG-13 version called Kidz BoP

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the common complaints on Era at least was the the title and the marketing that went along with it.

the damage's been done and changing the title now wouldn't change much. That's not how promotion work in here.

but we know some fanboys will few weeks later, claims how people were wrong about the title isn't an issue since they changed the title and didn't save the movie.

Last edited:

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah this should've been done from the get-go.

Multiple times I've had this conversation with coworkers and patrons: "Yeah I saw Birds of Prey over the weekend"

Them: "??? Which one is that again?"

Me: "The Harley Quinn movie"

Them: "Ooohhhh THAT one!"

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
marketing definitely hurt this movie. but imo i thought the movie was just ok mostly because i didnt really like the first half of the movie. would have liked more scenes of the BoP interacting, or maybe just more huntress she was my favorite.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What a bland ass name for such a fun movie. Other title was WAY better. More overcorrecting here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People cared about the title? They had Harley be so on-your-face through their marketing that a title would seem irrelevant.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I dont watch many movies and I saw a poster of Birds of Prey and I knew it was related to the Suicide Squad, which I know was a bad movie. Only reason I want to watch this is because I heard the actress was nominated for the Oscar (for another movie) and then I heard the movie is actually good... but being related to Suicide Squad just suck lol. I am going to watch it tomorrow on Imax (first ever experience).

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
People cared about the title? They had Harley be so on-your-face through their marketing that a title would seem irrelevant.

The title is never irrelevant.

The problem with this title in particular, beyond how stupid the name is, is that it's so long it is abbreviated in search fields, certain areas in fandango, etc. This is even worse because "Harley Quinn" is at the end of the title and cut off when abbreviated.

By putting Harley up front in search her name won't be lost anymore.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So they addressed the film's biggest problem - the marketing - by making it even more convoluted?