• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how banning people for cheating is seen as bad in this forum.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
if the government can't afford to raise your kids in schools because taxes are double-digit percentage points too low, let's just have private gaming companies raise them instead

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yup my bad. I was thinking of that quote that I miss read :
"We love mods ( he meant cheat ), and so we are 100 percent committed to doing that in 76 as well," Howard said. "We will not be able to do that at launch though ( he meant when they are ready to monetize it ). Our goal for launch—this is really new for us—is have a well-running, robust service ( haha ), and then some period later, we're currently still designing what that service looks like, you'll be able to have your own private world and be able to mod it ( cheat in it ) and do all of that.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not sure I see the issue? What multiplayer game allows you to modify it using third-party tools without that being picked up by anti-cheat software? Of all the fuck ups Bethesda has made with this game, this is definitely not one of them. You might be able to edit a few .ini files here and there to your liking but that's about it; if you use external tools with an online game, you risk getting banned. Also, when did we start believing "My friend got banned but totally didn't do anything wrong!!!!!!"

The essay idea is pretty funny.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Even purely graphical mods can provide an advantage.

For example a graphical mod might make other players bright pink to make them easier to see.
Reshade can be used atleast with Siege and BF1 without getting banned. And also simply setting your contrast brighter you can see better in a dark room.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Title says modding, article says cheating.
They're two totally different things....if it's cheating these people shouldn't event get the chance to get unbanned.
If it's modding that's a weird thing considering Bethesda has always supported modding.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Modding with third-party applications will get you banned from just about every multiplayer game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Title says modding, article says cheating.
They're two totally different things..

sass2.png
Yup.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the PC Version of Elder Scrolls Online fully support mods though?

Not in the sense that you can modify ingame content or assets. But the UI is fully open to tinkering much like any standard MMORPG. There's also another hook/injector program that gives you lower level access to some graphical settings not in the options like removing the vignette effect, distant DoF, color grading, etc. And they seem to be fine with people using this. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting banned from using Reshade either.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I would hope any developer would perma-ban people who cheat in online games, writing an "essay" shouldn't be an option to undo it, either.

But I see this has become a "LOL Bethesda" thread as was OP's intent based on the title, so it should probably just be locked for starting a thread in bad faith.

Nov 15, 2017
Jesus Christ, whats happening over there?
If these dudes were cheating, ban them and move on, but wanting an essay? Really?
SMflqjq.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, writing a fucking essay, that's gonna be a huge yikes from me chief.

Ultrawide fix requires 3rd party program, which can easily get detected in online games like this one. Lots of other online games would ban you for using reshade and other injecting programs too.

If it's the same ultrawide fix from Fallout 4 then no, you don't need an external program for it. You just have to edit the Fallout4prefs.ini file with a few strings although that doesn't fix the hud. (which is where the Nexus mod comes in handy).

I find it incredible people are still playing this POS.
And I hope people think THRICE before buying another Bethesda softworls game.

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.
BGS Maryland are working on Starfield while Austin is handling 76. Why on earth wouldn't I buy a BGS Maryland game day one? Seems like all the shitposting has blinded you a bit.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If people are directly cheating, then ban them and move on.

If people are modifying the game to make it better, then the devs should use that data to improve the game.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
So, you simply don't understand the difference between modding and cheating. Ok.
My bad I clearly don't know how to read and I don't know how to differenciate cheating from Reshade.
The issue the modding community has is that while some of the bans seem righteously handed out for players using mods to gain a competitive advantage, others who were banned were merely using a shader mod to improve graphics of the game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Era and Bethesda outrage threads... makes you wonder how quickly people lose the ability to read / think reasonably.
My favourite is that absolutely insane Mr. Fantastic tier reach that Starfield and TESVI will be bad and fail because of 76.

The cool aid some y'all drink.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
But I see this has become a "LOL Bethesda" thread as was OP's intent based on the title, so it should probably just be locked for starting a thread in bad faith.

As much as I think that Beteshda deserved a lot of vitriol, for good reasons, I have to agree that maybe that thread was made in bad faith.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Don't touch online games with injectors, as someone who is fan of gamehacking that is a no go.
The problem here is bethesda wanting to push their creators club shit and people having a hard time accepting that. It's their way or the highway. If you can't deal with that then stay away from this game! The real sad part here is people not being able to say no to the game.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy day 1 DOOM Eternal and I will write even an essay explaining why.
Bethesda Softworks =/= Bethesda
eh its my money and my time, ill spend both how i want.
And Bethesda S will never learnt.
Yeah, writing a fucking essay, that's gonna be a huge yikes from me chief.

If it's the same ultrawide fix from Fallout 4 then no, you don't need an external program for it. You just have to edit the Fallout4prefs.ini file with a few strings although that doesn't fix the hud. (which is where the Nexus mod comes in handy).

BGS Maryland are working on Starfield while Austin is handling 76. Why on earth wouldn't I buy a BGS Maryland game day one? Seems like all the shitposting has blinded you a bit.
LOL, like it excuses this shit.

Why's that a problem exactly...?
And Bethesda S never learnt.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it incredible people are still playing this POS.
And I hope people think THRICE before buying another Bethesda softworls game.

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.
Every single game of them releases as broken garbage, and sometimes gets even more broken down the line. If their games didnt stop people from buying more, not sure why this would

Oct 25, 2017
I'd this game wasn't already (justifiably) reviled nobody would be siding with what amount to cheaters tampering with a purely online game. Bethesda's joke would have been fine in the alternate universe where Fallout 76 was a good product. Bethesda should take stock of which universe they are actually in and do PR accordingly.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One of the worst games I've ever bought, but the best when it comes to drama. Bethesda are killing off the Fallout brand one poor decision after the next.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the essay idea is still funny, but banning people for third-party software in a online-only game doesn't seem all that egregious.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's the difference between general PC game modding, Bethesda modding, and cheating?

General PC modding
This is modding that can be done in basically every PC game ever. Most of the time, you'll need a 3rd party program to set it up or running in the background in some other cases, modifying the game's executable file. There's very limited use of this kind of modding, people mostly mod their games this way, whether to improve the visuals with Reshade/ENB, autohotkey, Widescreen fix, or cheat with Cheat Engine, trainer, or some other programs. Some games running in certain engines also enable you to 'mod' the game by modifying the files (usually called .ini tweaks). This is NOT what people mean by modding when talking about Bethesda games.

Bethesda modding
Now, this is the real deal. When people say 'modding Bethesda games', they're referring to this. This is generally exclusive to Bethesda games because of their unique engine and modding tools from Bethesda (Creation Kit) and other tools created by the community. Most of the time, this kind of modding doesn't require you to inject something (except script extenders). All you need is to download the mod files and put them in your game's folder, and that's it. The more convenient way is to install them using Mod Manager. Most mods fall into this category, including the most popular ones such as Unofficial Patch, adding/modifying textures (character, weapon, armor, environment), special effects, animation, and more.

So basically, modding is indeed cheating because it can give you various advantages depending on the mods you choose to install. However, past Bethesda games are offline, so there's no problem there. In this Fallout 76 case, the email regarding the ban specifically says "The account was detected to be running a third-party application" which means that the user is being accused of using the first kind of modding. In online games like this, there's usually an anti cheating system which automatically detects any 3rd party program running in the background. In most cases, the anti cheat system would detect any 3rd party program as a cheating tool, so yes, including reshade and autohotkey.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bethesda: "We release broken POS of games as shallow as they can be. We also will keep lying to you!"
You (probably): OMG take my money Bethesda
can i ask why are you getting so worked up over this

like damn its just a game lmao

anyways i'll be getting starfield and tesvi on launch, if my decision to purchase these games comes at a detriment to your emotional wellbeing then that's a shame.