• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Tech Demo

• Astro Boy Playroom

Votes: 201 46.0%
  • Wii Sports

Votes: 236 54.0%

• Total voters

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Ok it's Friday I'm feeling good, let's settle it.

Astro Boy vs Wii Sports, who you got?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
tenor.gif

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Wii Sports. I love Astro and I love platformers, but as far as market penetration and influence on a systems ecosystem, these two are worlds apart. They're not even remotely the same, to be honest, Astro is still a gamers game, Wii Sports is something anyone can love.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Wii Sports sold a platform and while Astro is great, it didn't embody the spirit of the PS5 as a whole. It's Wii Sports, which managed to capture the age 5-85 Nintendo was aiming for.

This board will lean Astro because it's more of a video game, but that doesn't line with the masses.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any game that will come on PS5 that will use the full PS5 DualSense features to such extent. And the game is a mix of the history of PlayStation and all its games and events. I don't think of another example showcasing a console as much as Astro tbh.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Wii Sports is a more important one but since the OP asked which one is better than the answer is clearly Astro Bot.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I love astro bot but the results of this poll are absurd.

The PS5 and its controller tech is neat, like a valuable addition to a well defined experience. The wiimote and its motion sports was a gamechanger, it opened up gaming to tens of millions of new people in a way that hasn't happened before or since.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Poll results show how young this board is. Wii Sports was a full on cultural phenomenon
This forum is anything but young lmao.
The poll is asking ''Best Tech demo'' not ''Bigger phenomenon'', if you count the impact then sure, Wii Sports wins by a large margin, but if you take into account only the quality of both games then things might change depending on the person.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
This forum is anything but young lmao.
The poll is asking ''Best Tech demo'' not ''Bigger phenomenon'', if you count the impact then sure, Wii Sports wins by a large margin, but if you take into account only the quality of both games then things might change depending on the person.
OP also didn't ask which was the better quality game. I think as a wii sports was the better tech demo for what they wanted to showcase.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Astro Bot was an amazing platformer that's held down obnoxious motion controls, and I'm surprised a lot of people on this forum let that slide. Wii Sports is arguably the only the great motion controlled game for it's time and it basically skyrocketed the Wii into the masses, but it definitely lends itself to more party related environments and repeating the same sport over and over. Still Wii Sports for me for how much fun I had playing it with the family, which I don't think I'll be able to replicate with any upcoming games ever again :/

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Wii Sports.

Astro was fine I guess? It's a solid platformer but it didn't really bring any new interesting mechanics. Also the haptics were obnoxious, wish they would have been toned down slightly.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wii Sports introduced a completely new way to physically interface with video games and expanded the interest of normal people in video games to a degree I don't think I'd seen before or after from a single game and the tech that it was introducing to the world.

The Dual Sense is immensely impressive and fine-tuned and Astro Bot is intentionally the most robust use of it, but I feel like it's ultimately just a range of great augmentations and refinements to the existing way we traditionally interact with games. It is nowhere near the impact that Wii Sports was for video games as a whole, even if the motion control format that it introduced to the world has largely been left behind. I have no doubt that that introduction via Wii may have been one of the biggest single points of surge of interest in video games in history.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Wii Sports demonstrated that an entire new input method was not only possible but extremely accessible. The effectiveness of this "tech demo" was so compelling that it made the tech that it was selling (the Wii) arguably the hottest piece of tech in gaming history. People were buying Wii's just for that game. I don't think many people's primary reason for buying a PS5 is Astrobot.

PS - This is yet another thread where the comments indicate one thing but the poll results are heavily skewed in Sony's favor.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wii Sports sold tens of millions of consoles. Current poll results are absurd.

Wii Sports demonstrated that an entire new input method was not only possible but extremely accessible. The effectiveness of this "tech demo" was so compelling that it made the tech that it was selling (the Wii) arguably the hottest piece of tech in gaming history. People were buying Wii's just for that game. I don't think many people's primary reason for buying a PS5 is Astrobot.

PS - This is yet another thread where the comments indicate one thing but the poll results are heavily skewed in Sony's favor.

Have you considered that people are voting for the game they enjoyed most, not which had the biggest impact/influence?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"Heavily skewed"

It's practically 50/50 🤔

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sometimes you need to step outside of yourself and consider more in context than your own enjoyment.

It's on the OP to clarify. As it stands, there's enough room for interpretation that a vote can go for which tech demo people enjoyed playing more or which one they felt had greater influence. I think asking the latter would be boring since it's unquestionably Wii Sports, especially given the PS5 only released weeks ago.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's on the OP to clarify. As it stands, there's enough room for interpretation that a vote can go for which tech demo people enjoyed playing more or which one they felt had greater influence. I think asking the latter would be boring since it's unquestionably Wii Sports, especially given the PS5 only released weeks ago.
Exactly!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Wii sports. Era is wrong.
Unless Wii sports wins.

How many playstation lovers we got here.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Wii Sports. Motion control at that point in time was such a big departure compared to anything we'd seen. It also sold millions of consoles. Astro is great and it's a better game, but it's an evolution of the controller we've been using for years, while Wii Sports was a complete reinvention and broke into the mainstream.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Get a grip, Era. Wii Sports was a cultural force. Astro is a better game overall, but doesnt accomplish what Wii Sports did on any level.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I meant best "Tech Demo" as in best game to showcase it's controller
Even that's not a clear question haha. Wii Sports had to communicate an entirely new way to play video games. Astro just shows you how cool the rumble and triggers are.

Wii Sports had a much tougher task, and did it successfully, while Astro is impeccably made but exists solely to show off.

Whether you're asking which is more influential, or which executes its goal better, both are inarguably Wii Sports. The only debate Astro can win is if you're simply asking which people like playing more.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's Wii Sports hands down.

Like, my grandma and grandpa played Wii Sports. My mom and dad, who were anti video games, played Wii Sports. It was brought into senior centers, rehabs, youth groups, etc . . . All because it was one of the most easy to pick up games of all time and it was a blast to play with others.

I bet that if you broke down the poll results the majority of those picking Astro Boy are <25.