• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Batman Arkham video game?

• Batman Arkham Asulym

Votes: 231 38.1%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 240 39.6%
  • Batman Arkham Origins

Votes: 56 9.2%
  • Batman Arkham Knight

Votes: 79 13.0%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2017
Overall, it's Arkham City by a landslide.
It may not be the best game of the bunch under every single metric but it's easily the one that hits the best compromise about each one of its parts flowing properly.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Asylum is one of the greatest games ever made.

They're all good. But Asylum has that Metroid DNA that makes it special.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
City >> Asylum >> Origins >> Knight.

All are great, though I'll always be salty over Knight because of all the things it disappointed me with. Barely any thematic connection with the "Arkham" stories of the past games and dropping the ball on most of the insanely cool things City were teasing post-game... Plus, I'll never get over how terribly incompetent all of Batman's allies were made to be. I'll give it this though: They gave me one of, if not my favorite version of Jason Todd's "resurrection" story. Also, were we seriously supposed to just go along with Deathstroke and Firefly not changing their gear after 10 years? And Deathstroke, one of the world's deadliest assassins, deciding to fight Batman via a freaking tank? Jesus... The Batmobile was a lot of fun but we were forced to use it far too often.

Origins was so good but plagued by bugs and some poor level design. Despite all that, it had, in my opinion, the best story, boss battles, character designs, and music. Plus, the crime scene investigation was awesome. It's a shame they made one really bad choice there though, immediately highlighting the evidence as soon as you scrub through it. That made it way too easy. Instead, they should've let the players find the evidence themselves by actually identifying and selecting it, rather than automatically highlighting it for them. That would've made such a big difference. Aside from that, I suppose a big part of my disappointment with Origins was how similar it felt to City, though that's not unexpected given that WBGM had to work with the existing assets of City. Still, overall a damn good game.

City and Asylum are both among my favorite games of all time. I've made plenty of fond memories thanks to those games, and I've sunk so much time in their challenge maps. The Iceberg Lounge map is probably still my favorite. Both games had incredible atmospheres but of different kinds thanks to the sizes of their respective maps, so you'd get a unique experience with whichever you chose. Traversing the skies of Arkham City was just something else. It felt like the perfect size for me, not too big but big enough to give us so much to explore and discover. Unpopular opinion, but those 300 or so Riddler Trophies and challenges were all so much fun to collect and solve. On the other hand, exploring Arkham Island was a fantastic experience thanks to the almost claustrophobic atmosphere it gave. Even outdoors, it really felt like you were trapped there. Which is of course entirely appropriate given that Batman is trapped there. Uncovering all the secrets the island was hiding and unlocking new areas here and there after getting new gadgets and upgrades... ahh, such a great game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Origins has the best story
City has the best gameplay
Knight has the best open world

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
City for the complete package but Knight has some really nice gameplay improvements

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I still need to play Origins and Knight, but from my understanding every other game followed what was done in City. While I loved City, I think they tighter, Metroid-like design of Asylum was unparalled.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
City>>Knight>Origins>>Asylum

I'll never, ever understand the love for Asylum. I mean it's a good game and all; I had a fun time, but absolutely everything was improved in late games. I literally can't think of a single thing it did best. Including level design.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yes. That part of the city was literally destroyed and empty. It wasn't being used. Plus maybe play the game and you'll learn why it was built there.
I've been playing that game for almost 10 years, it's still completely bonkers. Imagine if they decided to close off Manhattan and put a prison in there. Makes zero sense.

I mean, it's a comic book story for kids, I understand, but Origins did a way better job to feel grounded.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I love them all tbh.

I think Knight would be the best but we all know they included too many missions based on the batmobile. When you're taking down bosses in a tank fight, it's crossed the line imo.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Is there an overarching story between all the titles which makes it important to play them in order of release?

I checked Wikipedia and they have a handy little table here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham#Games
Which I changed slightly to just show the main Arkham games in the series (no mobile/VR).

Jd4xLM4.png

I'm assuming Origins didn't get ported because it's not from Rocksteady, but should Origins be played in order to enjoy Knight? Seems a bit silly there's no platform besides PC that has the entire series, unless I'm missing something.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Definately Asylum. I've enjoyed the games less as they have fleshed out and made the world/cities bigger. Lets not talk about the Batmobile in Knight though - Pure Bat Guano.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
I have not played Origins.

Knight>Asylum=City. But all are great and nothing touches how amazing I thought Asylum were 2009.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
They got progressively worse every game I think. Although both Asylum and City are incredible games, I think it definitely goes Asylum > City > Origins > Knight. I need to replay Origins though, been a long time and I've replayed both Asylum and City since Knight released.

Oct 27, 2017
Asylum. I loved the smaller metroidvania world design. It was paced really well as a result. Tried both Origins and City and gave up 8 hours in with both games. I do not like the more open world approach at all.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think all 4 were pretty fun to play, but I liked Knight the most. Was the most fun and interesting gameplay wise. Loved the layout of the city and how smooth everything felt. Driving was super fun.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
I played all of them - aside Origins, which I only played the prologue - in the last year or so, so no nostalgia or anything talking and for me Knight is so much better it's not even a contest. Asylum is second, City just felt more Asylum but more bloated and far less than Knight. I can understand how it was revolutionary at the time, but Knight now gives you such a better storyline and also the way it deals with enemies makes it so much better immediately.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Tough question for me personally as all 4 are pretty great overall with each excelling in a different area. Asylum has the tighest structure/pacing. Knight has the best gameplay. Origins has the best story, and City has the best setting and atmosphere imo.

I always waffle between City and Origins as my personal favorites, although I may lean City.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Asylum and Knight.
I never got the complaints about the batmobile.
Asylum is just great overall.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird because I think City is the best playing and I think everything in terms of game content that DOESN'T take place in the game's overworld is the peak content in the series but no overworld in the series is as enjoyably engaging and as tightly designed as Asylum. Also, Asylum is just perfectly paced. Whether you're mainlining or 100 percenting, I personally feel that every game after Asylum overstays its welcome. This is a series that I think greatly suffers from content bloat (particularly if you 100% it). While I want to see how things play out for every character in every game, but even in City the first time I played through it, by the time I got to the last Catwoman section I was ready for the game to be done.

Having said that, the core gameplay and mission design in City was so good that I ended up 100% it more than a few times but I would still argue that even City is bigger than it needs to be (especially with that terrible Harley Quinn DLC). The bigger this series became, the worse it became (not to mention some of the other poor design choices that were made in the games released after City). I've 100% Asylum about a dozen times, I've 100% City about half as many times and I've never beaten either Origins or Knight even once, so yeah...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Is there an overarching story between all the titles which makes it important to play them in order of release?

I checked Wikipedia and they have a handy little table here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham#Games
Which I changed slightly to just show the main Arkham games in the series (no mobile/VR).

Jd4xLM4.png

I'm assuming Origins didn't get ported because it's not from Rocksteady, but should Origins be played in order to enjoy Knight? Seems a bit silly there's no platform besides PC that has the entire series, unless I'm missing something.

So you can play the entire series on Xbox One. Arkham Origins is BC with X1 but for whatever reason it's not available digitally so you have to own a physical 360 copy. The only reason for this that I can think of is that it's two discs as no two disc games are available through the Xbox storefront which seems to be tied to some weird quirk related to the Xbox storefront?

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
So you can play the entire series on Xbox One. Arkham Origins is BC with X1 but for whatever reason it's not available digitally so you have to own a physical 360 copy. The only reason for this that I can think of is that it's two discs as no two disc games are available through the Xbox storefront which seems to be tied to some weird quirk related to the Xbox storefront?
Cool! Totally forgot about the BC of the X1. It's nice that there's still a way to play the entire series on console.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I have it this way:
Arkham Asylum - best atmosphere
Arkham City - best gameplay
Arkham Origins - best writing and story
Arkham Knight - ehmmm... well... graphics

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
City is the right kind of sequel that expands things, but not by too much. Has the best story of the bunch as well

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have it this way:
Arkham Asylum - best atmosphere
Arkham City - best gameplay
Arkham Origins - best writing and story
Arkham Knight - ehmmm... well... graphics

What makes City's gameplay better than Knight? There's nothing in City that's better than Knight it terms of gameplay.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Arkham City is my favourite, but I only like it slightly more than the original Arkham Asylum. I like the first two games a fair bit more than either Arkham Origins or Arkham Knight, the latter two being roughly equal games, in my view (both still good, but not as great). I kind of want to rank Arkham Knight last due to its dumb Batmobile tank, but I did have a lot of fun with the game.