• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
d0Qlbo9.png

Probably just me, but it feels like the transition from Classic Mega Man to X is one that would've been ridiculed in any era except the 90s.

Blasphemy. This is a great design with an even better update

latest

Yep, this is an hot take thread.
Come here to be mad and get mad, sometime at the same time.

Let me start this thread in due form with :
Green+Goblin+Art+Legal.jpg

I'll never understand the love that this design gets from fans of the web-head around the world. It's legit just a dude in an halloween costume, nothing more. And a bad halloween costume at that. Seriously, people can trash Raimi's design all they want but at least it works in live-action without looking completely stupid.
I get that comic book design are always going to look kinda dumb but Green Goblin is especially dumb to me. Even Mysterio is more threatening then this goofball.
I largely prefer the more "body-horror" style that they tried to go with for ASM2 over every other design too.
There, I said it.

What about these versions:

f06aeaf65e752e9b72c3ad9f900d0f12.jpg

latest

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Pyra and Mythra is that they have a lot of elements of good, coherent design, but it's completely offset by their outfits being unnecessarily sexualized. Like if Mythra had had her smash design from the start, and Pyra got a similarly less sexualized design(her smash redesign doesn't even really change much except covering her behind a bit more) I think that they would be considered pretty decently designed characters.
Closest alternate look Pyra has that might draw less ire is probably the cloak she wore earlier in the game, which was rather cute.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Ichigo-Kurosaki-Bleach-Shonen-Jump-c.jpg

This picture looks better then the ink blot that he usually looks like. Just never jelled with me, I dunno.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I freaking hate Sackboy from Little Big Planet. Just so ugly. Looks like a lumpy turd.

Also really dislike Akira Toriyama's characters for the most part. In Dragon Ball they're fine, I just don't like seeing them anywhere else.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder woman looks pretty goofy in her traditional costume.

Movie batmans usually looks pretty stupid too. The mascara is so dumb especially since they pretend it's not make-up lol. The trailer for the new one seems to imply they are recognizing it's makeup but ever since I was little the lids from the cartoon looked cool so I could be nothing but disappointed by the repeated decisions to have eye holes in the cowl.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Super Saiyajin 4

latest

People sure love to complain about SSJG and SSJB, but at least they are simplistic. SSJ4 is a mess that doesn't make sense. Also add SSJ3 to this; the lack of eyebrows and that long spiky hair isn't cool.

Oct 26, 2017
I dislike pretty much all the human armour designs in Mass Effect. All round and smooth, I think it looks so outdated but people seem to love them for whatever reason.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Despise is a strong word, but I don't care for zero suit Samus

Zerosuitechoes.jpg

Give me the grounded take from Prime 1 you cowards

Helmetless_Samus.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Movie batmans usually looks pretty stupid too. The mascara is so dumb especially since they pretend it's not make-up lol. The trailer for the new one seems to imply they are recognizing it's makeup but ever since I was little the lids from the cartoon looked cool so I could be nothing but disappointed by the repeated decisions to have eye holes in the cowl.

iris%20nde%20batman_postagem.png

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
d0Qlbo9.png

Probably just me, but it feels like the transition from Classic Mega Man to X is one that would've been ridiculed in any era except the 90s.
I love the X design, but as time goes on the ridiculousness of his robo-calves seems to be a glaring whole in the design. Which extends to quite a number of X series characters. While on that note, Zero's boobs:

K5EbKlg.png
Such a random design choice for what is supposed to be the Ken to X's Ryu.

I know subsequent designs helped both X and Zero, with the former of these two giving them a more human in armor look:

qtSaFkG.jpeg
oqlQAwR.jpeg

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Super Saiyajin 4

latest

People sure love to complain about SSJG and SSJB, but at least they are simplistic. SSJ4 is a mess that doesn't make sense. Also add SSJ3 to this; the lack of eyebrows and that long spiky hair isn't cool.

Super Saiyan Guyliner is controversial at best.

I hate it too. Everything about it is bad. The regressive great ape thing & the dumbest origin of any transformation or power in the entire franchise (except maybe Ultimate/Mystic Gohan). The bad colors. But the eyeliner, man. I will never get over the eyeliner.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ichigo-Kurosaki-Bleach-Shonen-Jump-c.jpg

This picture looks better then the ink blot that he usually looks like. Just never jelled with me, I dunno.
I think one thing that's disappointing with Bleach designs is that Tite Kubo has a good eye for fashion and has drawn his characters multiple times in different outfits:

XID4xWt.jpg

But it never really makes it way into the show. (Don't know about the manga, never read it.)

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like how they turned Samus into a young petite blonde (in high heel boots when suit-less). She's supposed to be a grizzled bounty hunter. Selene from Returnal is way cooler than Samus.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
pic-9.jpg

Hasashi Hirai's character designs are divisive outside of Japan, but Gundam Seed is still a pretty beloved series in that market so it counts. There was discussion recently around Destiny being the thing that soured western fans on Seed... but I don't think I could ever sit through a show with these line-nose designs. I don't think I despise any character design, but there are ones I'm not inclined to bother with.

I don't think that 3 is supposed to be cool, Gotenks even says it's villainous-looking form. Toriyama probably thought "Oh, they like transformations? I'll give them that!", since by the Buu arc he was pretty eager to poke fun at the whole thing.

Last edited:

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
One-Piece-Full-Cast-Header-Image.jpg

One Piece for me. It obviously resonates with people but I can't get over the character design.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
One-Piece-Full-Cast-Header-Image.jpg

One Piece for me. It obviously resonates with people but I can't get over the character design.
the designs are better in the manga tbh

these designs in particular are right at the start of the timeskip which are among their weakest outfits for pretty much all of the strawhats imo

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
the designs are better in the manga tbh

these designs in particular are right at the start of the timeskip which are among their weakest outfits for pretty much all of the strawhats imo
Toei ruins one piece overall not gonna lie. Their use of colors, sound effects, it's all so terrible and off tone from the original manga, the only reason the anime is so popular is because the story carries it HARD.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
bioshock-infinite-wallpapersci-fi-action-adventure---bioshock-infinite-wallpapers-hd-tgchp0n3.0.jpg

I dislike her Disney-esque design and in general I just find Elizabeth very grating for some reason, though it feels like I am completely alone in that opinion.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Anything Dragon Ball looks terrible to me, although this is less about specific character and more about Toriyama's art being trashtacular.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Mai from King of Fighters. A nonsensical design that somehow looks more ridiculous than that raptor character.